the most overrated movie ever!

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I could post a very long diatribe on why the wrestler completely fails in what it sets out to do, and is hence a bad film but I won't. I'm meant to be studying.
    I'll agree with you on Lord of the rings though Sian. LotR is an imense cinematic achievement that succeeds on every level.
    Superbad is hilarious.
    Dark Knight is very good, but doesn't deserve the hype it got.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I could post a very long diatribe on why the wrestler completely fails in what it sets out to do, and is hence a bad film but I won't. I'm meant to be studying.
    I'll agree with you on Lord of the rings though Sian. LotR is an imense cinematic achievement that succeeds on every level.
    Superbad is hilarious.
    Dark Knight is very good, but doesn't deserve the hype it got.

LotR is quite possibly one of cinema's greatest masterpiece's so far.
    I cried laughing when I first saw Superbad :oops:
    Dark Knight didn't deserve all the hype, but we all know why it happened. If you view it as another Batman movie (especially if you're a fan of the comics) and forget the tragedy with Heath, it's actually very good. But lets face it, Heath was EXCELLENT as the Joker.

I'm glad we agree ;)

Are you a wrestling fan by any chance?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm indifferent to Wrestling. It is entertaining, but I don't really watch it.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Little Miss Sunshine is one overrated movie I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure how that movie produced any Oscars.
  • Jason P wrote:
    Little Miss Sunshine is one overrated movie I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure how that movie produced any Oscars.

:shock:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    How about the Blair Witch Project...

Definitely! That thing just gave me a headache and wasted time!

I liked the Harry Potter movies....
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    My top picks for this category are Schindler's List and Forrest Gump.
    Saving Private Ryan is a runner-up for me. The opening battle sequence is excellent but it is ordinary after that.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yefa wrote:
    Saving Private Ryan is a runner-up for me. The opening battle sequence is excellent but it is ordinary after that.
    I thought Schindler's List was BRILLIANT.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Lizardjam wrote:
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

I thought I was the only one who hated that movie! I still can't believe it managed to beat Pulp Fiction and Shwshank Redemption for Best Picture that year!

Oh yes, I'll second the Forrest Gump one as well. I'd add Pulp Fiction. And almost any Quentin Tarantino movie. Ever.

Pulp Fiction? You're killing me! :D That's probably my favorite movie of all time. I saw it twelve times at the theater (ah the joys of disposable income!) It passes the great movie test for me. you can watch it once or twice a year and it seems as fresh and exciting as the first time you saw it. The only things that blunts Pulp Fiction's power is the fact that there were so many ripoffs. We tend to forget how great an original is when we've seen in repeated over and over. Also, Tarrantino's behavior for a few years after it's release sort of overshadowed the brilliance of it. He was showing up on sitcoms and in shitty movies and dating celebrities, we kind of got sick of him. I don't think his career has ever fully recovered.I don't like Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1 and 2 were neat, but felt like fluff to me, same with Death Proof. They felt like Tarantino was trying to immitate the type of movies he thought were cool instead of making something cool himself. I have high hopes for Basterds! I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. At least we both hate Forrest Gump.

Pulp Fiction? You're killing me! :D That's probably my favorite movie of all time. I saw it twelve times at the theater (ah the joys of disposable income!) It passes the great movie test for me. you can watch it once or twice a year and it seems as fresh and exciting as the first time you saw it. The only things that blunts Pulp Fiction's power is the fact that there were so many ripoffs. We tend to forget how great an original is when we've seen in repeated over and over. Also, Tarrantino's behavior for a few years after it's release sort of overshadowed the brilliance of it. He was showing up on sitcoms and in shitty movies and dating celebrities, we kind of got sick of him. I don't think his career has ever fully recovered.I don't like Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1 and 2 were neat, but felt like fluff to me, same with Death Proof. They felt like Tarantino was trying to immitate the type of movies he thought were cool instead of making something cool himself. I have high hopes for Basterds! I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. At least we both hate Forrest Gump.

That we will. Of course Pulp Fiction came out when I was in high school so who knows if it's a state of mind that also attracts one to the movie. I've never given it a second chance either because I really tend to dislike Uma Thurman...so again, I may be biased. But I hold firm on 99% of his movies being pure yuck! ( I liked deathproof!)

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Lizardjam wrote:

That we will. Of course Pulp Fiction came out when I was in high school so who knows if it's a state of mind that also attracts one to the movie. I've never given it a second chance either because I really tend to dislike Uma Thurman...so again, I may be biased. But I hold firm on 99% of his movies being pure yuck! ( I liked deathproof!)

I was a freshman in college when it came out, so our mindsets couldn't have been that different we were close to the same age. Watch it again, and if you hate it I'll send you a copy of any boot you want from my collection.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I haven't looked through this whole thread, but...

I hated JUNO. It was like a tarted-up Lifetime movie (I guess, not that I watch Lifetime movies).

And I agree about FORREST GUMP. Piece of shit. And I love Tom Hanks.

I should watch PULP FICTION again. The first time I saw it I liked it. Then - and maybe it was all the hype - I sort of thought it was pretentious and empty.
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    strummers wrote:
    The Departed - it's a shite remake of a great movie.
    Any Harry Potter

I'd better stop or I'll be here all night!

I LOVE The Departed!!!!
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    the most overrated movie ever... my choice... Titanic! good movie but come on!

2nd most overrated... Gone With The Wind... again, good but come on!

3rd most overrated... Cobra (stallone-1986)... good but no "Over The Top" or "Tango and Cash"!

Titanic? it f'ing sank. If you didn't see that coming, you live under a rock. And who the f**k would say to the love of their life while they're sinking towards the icy waters of the North Atlantic "I trust you!"?? Seriously.

Gone with the Wind. I don't give a damn.

Cobra....isn't that kind of like First Blood, Rocky, Tango & Cash as well as Demolition Man?
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Yefa wrote:
    I thought Schindler's List was BRILLIANT.

Hey, that's fine. I feel the same way about many films mentioned upthread.
    If you want to see a truly amazing WW II film set on the Eastern Front, check out Come And See. It was directed by Elem Klimov & came out in the mid-80s. It's out on DVD so you should be able to rent it.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Yefa wrote:
    The battle scenes that book end Saving Private Ryan are stellar....the rest of the movie...umkay. Enemy at the Gates was a much better "war" movie.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The most underrated movie ever is Weekend at Bernie's. Last night I dreamt that they made a third Weekend at Bernie's, erasing the memories of Weekend at Bernie's 2 forever.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Starwars
    I'll be back
  • Lord of the Rings is definitely up there - as cinema spectacle, they worked, but as movies, they were overlong, overhyped, and frankly kind of boring.

And yeah, the Dark Knight. I didn't even enjoy it as a superhero movie. But then, that's because my finely-tuned cynicism says that superhero movies aren't allowed take themselves seriously.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Starwars

Hahahaha! My boyfriend (audiodave) was afraid to post this! :D

He, and you, are wrong of course. :|

;)

• Bladerunner. visually it was pretty amazing but the movie itself is boring.

Donnie Darko. a pretty stupid movie. in fairness, i did only see the director's cut, which i heard is worse. i could understand how the original would be better since it doesnt explain as much.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    MrSmith wrote:
    Bladerunner. visually it was pretty amazing but the movie itself is boring.

Donnie Darko. a pretty stupid movie. in fairness, i did only see the director's cut, which i heard is worse. i could understand how the original would be better since it doesnt explain as much.
    I always thought that Bladerunner was overrated, but that could have been because I would just watch bits on the USA network. I recently watched it on Bluray and I was very impressed. It's worth taking a second chance on the movie if you can watch it in HD with good sound.

Donnie Darko was a stupid movie.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    The bodyguard....

I just saw the hangover and that is overrated too. Everyone kept telling me how hilarious it was..it was okay :roll:
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:
    The bodyguard....

I just saw the hangover and that is overrated too. Everyone kept telling me how hilarious it was..it was okay :roll:

the bodyguard is my favorite guilty pleasure movie. I saw it at the theater when I was 16 and thought it was art! :lol: I think if you gave me 1 hour, I might be able to produce the soundtrack from somewhere in my apartment! :lol:
    libragirl wrote:
    The bodyguard....

the bodyguard is my favorite guilty pleasure movie. I saw it at the theater when I was 16 and thought it was art! :lol: I think if you gave me 1 hour, I might be able to produce the soundtrack from somewhere in my apartment! :lol:

:lol:

yeah i remember everyone had that soundtrack..if i heard that song anymore i thought my head was gonna explode. :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i remember when titanic came out i was 9 or 10, we saw it at the old 6 cinemas and the whole crowd went "OOH!" at the same time when the guy hit the giant propeller after jumping off the ship when it was going under. then my mom bought it for me on DOUBLE VHS at the local corner store... why we bought it there i don't know... and why they sold it there i don't know... but what i DO know is...

i watched that bad boy nearly every day.

SO dont you tell ME its overrated! :D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    Lord of the Rings is definitely up there - as cinema spectacle, they worked, but as movies, they were overlong, overhyped, and frankly kind of boring.

And yeah, the Dark Knight. I didn't even enjoy it as a superhero movie. But then, that's because my finely-tuned cynicism says that superhero movies aren't allowed take themselves seriously.

I agree with Donnie Darko(from other post) totally disagree with this one. Lord of the rings was never boring to me...not one bit. I loved them all!

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Anything starring Will Ferrell that isn't Zoolander.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    MayDay10 wrote:

Superbad (people said it was a riot. I chuckled one time)

The Dark Knight (thought it was good for a superhero movie... but all the hype and loving it was getting was undeserved).

I concur

The Dark Knight was good but not great
    haffajappa wrote:
    i remember when titanic came out i was 9 or 10, we saw it at the old 6 cinemas and the whole crowd went "OOH!" at the same time when the guy hit the giant propeller after jumping off the ship when it was going under. then my mom bought it for me on DOUBLE VHS at the local corner store... why we bought it there i don't know... and why they sold it there i don't know... but what i DO know is...

i watched that bad boy nearly every day.

SO dont you tell ME its overrated! :D

Yeah I have the double VHS too. I still love that movie and don't give a shit what anyone thinks. :P