the most overrated movie ever!

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I always thought Citizen Kane was highly overrated. I get alot of shit for that opinion!

I agree...it was awy too boring to me. Watched it in a film history class and jsut couldn't help but fall asleep. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Anchorman

Superbad (people said it was a riot. I chuckled one time)

The Dark Knight (thought it was good for a superhero movie... but all the hype and loving it was getting was undeserved).

You can put a lot of blame of that to the sudden death of Heath Ledger...funny how he was just another actor until he died...after that, the shit hit the fan.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The Champ wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    No, the thread you mentioned is filled with movies everyone dislikes, not with movies that everyone likes ;) ...and I don't get what you are saying in the second part. You've watched Forrest Gump 20 times, but only certain scenes?..weird method you got there, Rygar ;) ..
    That's because it's on tv all the time and I never bother to sit through all of it.

And I'm right, there's tons of movies in there that everyone likes!

Oh, I see..so you are one of those people that watch movies on tnt or tbs...your opinions regarding movies from now on will officially not count ;) ..and you are still wrong..there are a ton of movies that everyone likes in the thread about movies that everyone likes that you dislike.. :mrgreen: ..
    TBS - The Butchering Station. No, I'm not one of those. Just the case for Mr. Gump.
    And now you're officially confused about what thread I was talking about, or you're just trying to confuse me about that thread, which is more likely - that you're trying, not that I'm confused. :shock:
  • Dark Knight was overrated, so was the first one in that new series...why does Christian Bale sound like Dirty Harry when he puts on the Bat Cowl? I like Christian Bale as an actor - but meh...Dark Knight was more about worshiping a dead actor. (yeah, it was sad...but you know - he wasn't Brando when you judge on merit)

I cannot believe someone said The Godfather.

I fell asleep through the Matrix...and sorry but any movie where I am supposed to take Keanu Reeves seriously...well...just no. hahaha

The Austen Power movies...yeah. can't believe "the Love Guru" didn't get the same over the top response from movie goers...they suck for the same reason.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Rygar wrote:
    TBS - The Butchering Station. No, I'm not one of those. Just the case for Mr. Gump.
    And now you're officially confused about what thread I was talking about, or you're just trying to confuse me about that thread, which is more likely - that you're trying, not that I'm confused. :shock:

To break it down:

"Movies you dislike that everyone else likes" ---more than likely filled with movies that everyone likes..

"Movies you like that everyone else dislikes" ---more than likely filled with movies that everyone dislikes..

You said "(movies you like that everyone else dislikes) is filled with movies everyone likes."

You Sir are wrong ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Million Dollar Baby - Acedemy Award Winner?? Please, mediocre at best.
    THANK YOU. Could not believe Hillary Swank won for that performance. :roll:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Million Dollar Baby - Acedemy Award Winner?? Please, mediocre at best.

a lot of time, Actors win for their body of work too. She was great in "boys don't cry" and I think that the academy was expecting huge things from her, so they sort of add that into consideration when given the opportunity to award her for the current movie...also, you have to consider what she was up against.

Annette Bening (Being Julia)
    Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full Of Grace)
    Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake)
    Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby)
    Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)

technically speaking - it was a "light" year only real competition would have been Winslet (but not for that movie) and Bening (once again the movie dictates that she wouldn't have been given the award)

Personally, I thought Moreno deserved it, but as she is a relative unknown, in a spanish language movie that felt more like a documentary - I am sure the academy didn't want to extend too much.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    I always thought Citizen Kane was highly overrated. I get alot of shit for that opinion!

me too!!! I usually bring it up to start something with people who I know are "film buffs" (I think it's fun :-) )

also thought Million Dollar Baby was quite overrated...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Million Dollar Baby - Acedemy Award Winner?? Please, mediocre at best.

i can't believe she has a career as an actress...she should have stopped at karate kid 4
  • Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

I thought I was the only one who hated that movie! I still can't believe it managed to beat Pulp Fiction and Shwshank Redemption for Best Picture that year!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I was bored to tears with Dr. Zhivago.
    The Champ wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

To break it down:

"Movies you dislike that everyone else likes" ---more than likely filled with movies that everyone likes..

"Movies you like that everyone else dislikes" ---more than likely filled with movies that everyone dislikes..

You said "(movies you like that everyone else dislikes) is filled with movies everyone likes."

You Sir are wrong ;) ..
    Yes, but I said that because people are listing movies they like that everyone else also likes, when everyone is supposed to dislike them.
    So, I was right.

Did you design this pedastal, Doctor? Al-right.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

I thought I was the only one who hated that movie! I still can't believe it managed to beat Pulp Fiction and Shwshank Redemption for Best Picture that year!

Oh yes, I'll second the Forrest Gump one as well. I'd add Pulp Fiction. And almost any Quentin Tarantino movie. Ever.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    norm wrote:

i can't believe she has a career as an actress...she should have stopped at karate kid 4
    Or stayed on Beverly Hills 90210 :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Lord of the Rings.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

NickyNooch wrote:
    Lord of the Rings.

Oh No! I love this movie!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

forgetting sarah marshall

have comedy standards dropped this much? :roll:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Lord of the Rings.

Oh No! I love this movie!
    I agree, I think Nicky just ostracized herself from the PJ community :D
    norm wrote:

Is that sarcasm? Have you seen 99% of the comedy put out? Many qualify for this list.

Lizardjam wrote:
    norm wrote:

Is that sarcasm? Have you seen 99% of the comedy put out? Many qualify for this list.

kind of a general comment about comedy today...i was just reading about apatow and that movie was mentioned...any apatow movie is overrated imo :)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,782
    HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SOCIAL VALUE TO THE PUBLIC CONSCIOUSNESS OF "COBRA"

why Lt. Cobretti cleaned up the mean streets from that weird cult that was after Stallone's wife...the one that came out in Rocky IV or III - uhhh whichever is the one that DOESNT have Mr. T...

also...i think he wears really tight jeans and cowboy boots in this movie...and with the unintelligible dialogue...it's pure Stallone...

Did I say pure Stallone? I meant Pure Stall-awesome.

oh, but you are right...Titanic is totally over rated.

hey failed
    I miss igotid88
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,671
    i agree. I dont enjoy any of Apatow's movies
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    The Departed - it's a shite remake of a great movie.
    Any Harry Potter

I'd better stop or I'll be here all night!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    norm wrote:

Russel Brand is a cock!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    How about the Blair Witch Project...
  • Anything directed by Stanley Kubrick.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Anything directed by Stanley Kubrick.

Even "Full Metal Jacket"? I thought that was ok...
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Good Lord man! Are you insane? Ok, I can give you Eyes wide Shut but the man was a legend.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

wha wha whaaaaaat?
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    Superbad (people said it was a riot. I chuckled one time)

The Dark Knight (thought it was good for a superhero movie... but all the hype and loving it was getting was undeserved).
    The Wrestler is the most overrated piece of crap ever made. Hugely hugely disappointing.
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Lord of the Rings.

Are you three related to Helen Keller at all? :lol:;)

I understand that these are your opinions but I personally think you're all insane (especially you, NickyNooch :shock: )
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.