the most overrated movie ever!

coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,459
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
the most overrated movie ever... my choice... Titanic! good movie but come on!

2nd most overrated... Gone With The Wind... again, good but come on!

3rd most overrated... Cobra (stallone-1986)... good but no "Over The Top" or "Tango and Cash"!
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SOCIAL VALUE TO THE PUBLIC CONSCIOUSNESS OF "COBRA"

why Lt. Cobretti cleaned up the mean streets from that weird cult that was after Stallone's wife...the one that came out in Rocky IV or III - uhhh whichever is the one that DOESNT have Mr. T...

also...i think he wears really tight jeans and cowboy boots in this movie...and with the unintelligible dialogue...it's pure Stallone...

Did I say pure Stallone? I meant Pure Stall-awesome.

oh, but you are right...Titanic is totally over rated.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,459
    God your right! Cobra kicks ass! and Titanic is still overrated.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • I always thought Citizen Kane was highly overrated. I get alot of shit for that opinion!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited July 2009
    See here's my thing with Titanic..

I saw it on opening day BEFORE it became big on opening day. It was by chance me and a high school buddy were bored, decided to go to the theater to see what was playing.. we arrived halfway through the previews to a maybe half filled theater.. I have to say, it was one of the best movie experiences I've experienced.. the hype afterwords was sickening, but having seen this movie before any word got around and with minimum expectations, I can honestly say it was a memorable experience.

The crap that went around soon after was ridiculas, but it was a really good movie in retrospect.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    I feel that way with Gran Torino. I guess it's a guy/Clint Eastwood thing. I thought it was good, but very slow moving and predictable. For all the hype that everyone talks about this movie, kinda disappointed. (same with Tropic Thunder...Robert Downey Jr. was great, Tom Cruise was funny and unexpected, but that was about it...)
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Hmmm.....of the movies I've seen I'd have to say The Matrix is the most overrated movie ever.

And my reasoning is much like LikeAnOcean's for Titanic. I saw it way before the hype got crazy. The Matrix was a good film, but it wasn't the end all be all of action/sci-fi movies that it was made out to be.
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Hmmm.....of the movies I've seen I'd have to say The Matrix is the most overrated movie ever.

And my reasoning is much like LikeAnOcean's for Titanic. I saw it way before the hype got crazy. The Matrix was a good film, but it wasn't the end all be all of action/sci-fi movies that it was made out to be.
    I liked the Matrix too, but it was a three star movie. Not a classic.
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Hmmm.....never thought I'd agree with a White Sox's fan! ;) I'm in the Twin Cities, and I caught the highlights of the game tonight.

Very cool my fellow Twins fans gave Buehrle a standing ovation for 45 straight outs!
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Hmmm.....never thought I'd agree with a White Sox's fan! ;) I'm in the Twin Cities, and I caught the highlights of the game tonight.

Very cool my fellow Twins fans gave Buehrle a standing ovation for 45 straight outs!
    You and I aren't that much different.. your accent is just slightly more Canadian and you have slightly shittier winters. 8-)

You and I aren't that much different.. your accent is just slightly more Canadian and you have slightly shittier winters. 8-)

LOL

So true, so true. But uhhhh.....I've been trying to figure this out, he pitched the perfect game which is 27 outs, and then tonight he made it 5 2/3 innings perfect, which is 17 outs, last I checked 27 + 17 is 44. Hmmmm....is ESPN lying to me???

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic. Yeah booooooooooooooooo!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Titanic!!!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The Wrestler is the most overrated piece of crap ever made. Hugely hugely disappointing.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SOCIAL VALUE TO THE PUBLIC CONSCIOUSNESS OF "COBRA"

why Lt. Cobretti cleaned up the mean streets from that weird cult that was after Stallone's wife...the one that came out in Rocky IV or III - uhhh whichever is the one that DOESNT have Mr. T...

also...i think he wears really tight jeans and cowboy boots in this movie...and with the unintelligible dialogue...it's pure Stallone...

Plus, wasn't Stallone's first name "Marion"?
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    godfather.

go a head... flame away.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SOCIAL VALUE TO THE PUBLIC CONSCIOUSNESS OF "COBRA"

Plus, wasn't Stallone's first name "Marion"?

Exactly- Cobra is a cinematic masterpeice. " Your the disease, and I'm the Cure". How can you argue with a guy that has Cobras on the handles of his guns too? On a side note, his car in that movie really was awesome.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    The Wrestler is the most overrated piece of crap ever made. Hugely hugely disappointing.
    I didn't last 20 minutes into this movie - it sucked
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Austin Powers - all of them - just drivel at least to me.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Thorns2010 wrote:

LOL

So true, so true. But uhhhh.....I've been trying to figure this out, he pitched the perfect game which is 27 outs, and then tonight he made it 5 2/3 innings perfect, which is 17 outs, last I checked 27 + 17 is 44. Hmmmm....is ESPN lying to me???

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic. Yeah booooooooooooooooo!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Titanic!!!

He must have retired the last batter he faced in his last start before the perfect game. So 1+27+17=45. That's my only guess.

As far as overrated movies go, I have to agree with what people have said about Titanic and The Matrix. I'm starting to feel the same way about the Dark Knight. Don't get me wrong, I loved it after my first viewing and think it's a solid film. But since all the hype surrounding it (although there was plenty going in too, i suppose) I haven't really been able to watch it all the way through again without getting a little bored. Rewatchability is key. Like the Sixth Sense, great watching it the first time, but once you know the twist, it's not all that great. just my opinion.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Million Dollar Baby - Acedemy Award Winner?? Please, mediocre at best.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    You guys are lost with the 'Wrestler' scenario..it is not a good, but great movie..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    Forrest Gump.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

What the fuck? This is getting way out of hand now..by far the best movie ever made, and still atop my list of favorites after all these years..crazy, crazy..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The Champ wrote:
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

What the fuck? This is getting way out of hand now..by far the best movie ever made, and still atop my list of favorites after all these years..crazy, crazy..
    Bah, the other thread (movies you like that everyone else dislikes) is filled with movies everyone likes ;)
    Rygar wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Forrest Gump.

Bah, the other thread (movies you like that everyone else dislikes) is filled with movies everyone likes ;)

I think you got that backwards there but I get your drift ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

I think you got that backwards there but I get your drift ;) ..
    Not backwards, maybe you're thinking of the other thread, the movie everyone likes but you dislike, then it would be backwards :P
    I watched FG (some of it) the other night, finally saw the Vietnam portion. I've seen 'most' of that movie 20 times, but never that part.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    pjhawks wrote:
    Austin Powers - all of them - just drivel at least to me.
    Stale jokes galore IMHO....not on my good list either.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Rygar wrote:
    Not backwards, maybe you're thinking of the other thread, the movie everyone likes but you dislike, then it would be backwards :P
    I watched FG (some of it) the other night, finally saw the Vietnam portion. I've seen 'most' of that movie 20 times, but never that part.

No, the thread you mentioned is filled with movies everyone dislikes, not with movies that everyone likes ;) ...and I don't get what you are saying in the second part. You've watched Forrest Gump 20 times, but only certain scenes?..weird method you got there, Rygar ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,671
    Anchorman

Superbad (people said it was a riot. I chuckled one time)

The Dark Knight (thought it was good for a superhero movie... but all the hype and loving it was getting was undeserved).
    The Champ wrote:
    No, the thread you mentioned is filled with movies everyone dislikes, not with movies that everyone likes ;) ...and I don't get what you are saying in the second part. You've watched Forrest Gump 20 times, but only certain scenes?..weird method you got there, Rygar ;) ..
    That's because it's on tv all the time and I never bother to sit through all of it.

And I'm right, there's tons of movies in there that everyone likes!

MayDay's got the right idea.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Tombstone
    Rygar wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    That's because it's on tv all the time and I never bother to sit through all of it.

And I'm right, there's tons of movies in there that everyone likes!

Oh, I see..so you are one of those people that watch movies on tnt or tbs...your opinions regarding movies from now on will officially not count ;) ..and you are still wrong..there are a ton of movies that everyone likes in the thread about movies that everyone likes that you dislike.. :mrgreen: ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'