Unusual sounds used on PJ albums

13»

Comments

• lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Mankind", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.
    Great list but does Stone count as an "Unusual sound"? :)

:D this is great!
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    The sound of a page turning during Bee Girl. I guess it's not too unusual, though, since the spontaneity of the song's conception left zero time for Eddie to memorize his own lyrics!
    Kat wrote:
    Which song(s) have the EBow?

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

xo

And so "The Whale Song" also falls victim to the mighty E-bow.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Kat wrote:
    Which song(s) have the EBow?

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

xo

And so "The Whale Song" also falls victim to the mighty E-bow.
    u got a point
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited October 2009
    New album- more sounds, eh…
    Violin, cello, viola- “Just Breathe” & “The End”
    French Horn- “The End”
    Any others? I am going to omit any piano or other keyed instruments. Just because once I list a few of the songs, I’ll be forced to find every single one. And I can’t handle that!

Now to try and compile all of the previous entries posted in this thread into one expansive checklist:
    Viola & cello- "Parting Ways"
    ’Dakota’ the dog- "Rival"
    Fire extinguisher & pepper shaker- "Oceans"
    Programming thru the keyboard- "Master/Slave"
    Audio clips from TV show- "Stupid Mop"
    Sampler- "Wishlist" & "Push me, Pull me"
    Guitar fed thru drum machine- "You Are"
    Sitar- Hidden thingy after "Inside Job", “Who You Are”
    Vocoder- "Help Help"
    Ah uja & fake human head (technically not heard, rather used as P.A. system and micorophone)- scattered throughout 'Binaural'
    Octoban, tambourine, & sleigh bell thing- "W.M.A."
    Accordian- "Bugs" (duh)
    Ukulele- "Soon Forget" (double duh)
    Typewriter- Hidden whatever after "Parting Ways"
    Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.
    Guitar upon impact- "Go" & "Brain of J.F.K."
    'Coins' on impact- "Of the Girl"
    Drumsticks on impact- “RVM”
    Page turning- “Bee Girl”
    Boiling kettle- “Not For You”
    Whip (?)- “Satan’s Bed”
    Rewinding tape reel (?)- “Nothingman”
    Hand claps- "Get Right"
    E Bow- “Wishlist”, “Worldwide Suicide”, “No Way”, “Whale Song”

In addition to the vocoder Eddie uses on “Help Help”, he has shifted his vocals in other unusual ways. Does anyone know what possible equipment he employed for the following?
    Whale sounds- “Whale Song” (Similarly heard during the Daughter tag on ‘Live on Two Legs’)
    Eerie ghost sounds- “Sleight of Hand (before last verse)” & “In My Tree (1:50 mark)”
    Also listen with your headphones during the last verse of Faithfull, to hear him speaking the same words before he sings them.

I know there has got to be more, so what's missing?
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I dunno but I def hear some weird noises during some songs on Binaural... it could be spoons lol... it sounds like heavy chains being gently lifted and dropped from a few inches off the ground... i think of the girl and insignificance are the two tracks I def hear those sounds on... I've never brought it up here though...

I used to walk around campus getting stoned and listening to binaural and that always threw me cos i kept thinking i was dropping change while i walked :D

am i the only one that has never been able to hear the sound of the neurtron bomb they talk about in wishlist on SVT?
  • Jeff making his bass sound like a horn during the second verse of All Those Yesterdays would surly qualify as an "unusual sound"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Eddie during Tremor Christ, he makes a weird noise with his vocal.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Why isnt anyone mentioning that sound at the end of Breakerfall? I still dont know what it is! Really sounds like the gameboy sound.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • There's a strange beep on Given to Fly during the line "Sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky" during the word sometimes. There are other such beeps on Yield, but I'm not recalling them at the moment.
    tank you veddy much
  • CarlosaCarlosa Posts: 17
    The "last breath" sound at the beginning of the last line on The End...
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    what's the name of the thing ed uses for the beginning of world wide suicide?
    is that the ebow?...
  • WITH HEADPHONES ONLY:

Pay attention to the end of Sometimes(No Code)....if you listen very well, It is possible to listen to water going out of a shin....!

And this is one of the reasons that I love this band: A lot of songs have hidden noises, and I´m not talking about musical instruments, I´m talking about things like we all have in our homes...really, I am surprised of how it was happened to them to put those sounds in the songs and that they happen as subliminal sounds that can give body to the songs...
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Why isnt anyone mentioning that sound at the end of Breakerfall? I still dont know what it is! Really sounds like the gameboy sound.

It's gotta be the Gameboy powerup sound. I've listened and relistened. It would probably be easy enough to create that sound with a guitar, but it sounds too much like the Gameboy sound to be anything else, imo.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    yea its a powerup noise. its dead on.
    love it
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    The sound of a page turning during Bee Girl. I guess it's not too unusual, though, since the spontaneity of the song's conception left zero time for Eddie to memorize his own lyrics!

You nearly stole my thunder! I was thinking it was unusual when Ed started to laugh (but managed to contain himself) just after Jeff farted! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Add "Gone" to the Ebow list (also demo of "Speed of Sound"). The intro to "Better Man" is Ebow also, I think.

And sitar on "Who You Are". Also, I may be wrong - it's a long time since I've seen it - but I seem to remember that Single Video Theory shows Ed using the Ebow on the sitar on "No Way"

Also, the chimes at the end of "Not for You" are picking the strings at the headstock of the guitar, even if that's not what the coda to "Inside Job" is. (I discovered this accidentally when I did it myself, & realised it sounds exactly like "Not for You" - I used to think it was bells.)

I could swear I hear the fade-out of a rotary phone ring under the cymbals at 2:42 of "Of the Girl". Maybe it is just the cymbals, but that's what I always hear....

(and while I was looking for the time reference, I just heard the change hit the deck for the first time! :D )
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2