Unusual sounds used on PJ albums

einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
edited October 2009 in The Porch
I was waiting and no one picked it up so...

Here we go -

Unusual sounds used on PJ albums

Did I hear something about Gary Westlake playing the spoons on one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I dunno but I def hear some weird noises during some songs on Binaural... it could be spoons lol... it sounds like heavy chains being gently lifted and dropped from a few inches off the ground... i think of the girl and insignificance are the two tracks I def hear those sounds on... I've never brought it up here though...

Also... Oceans has some weird sounds used like banging on a fire extinguisher and salt & pepper shakers I think.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Also... Oceans has some weird sounds used like banging on a fire extinguisher and salt & pepper shakers I think.

I've gotta be honest... I've heard people say this before and I even remember reading something about it in an interview at some point (fairly recently too), but I've never thought that the fire extinguisher was used anywhere but on the Master/Slave fade out after Release.

As I hear it the fire extinguisher first becomes audible at around 7 minutes and then becomes prominent in the left channel at about 7:25, and the pepper shakers are the percussion that alternates between the left and right channel from nearly the beginning.

Anyone else?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    edited September 2009
    Viola & cello- "Parting Ways"
    Dakota- "Rival"
    Fire extinguisher & pepper shaker- "Oceans"
    Programming thru the keyboard- "Master/Slave"
    audio clips from TV show- "Stupid Mop"
    Sampler- "Wishlist" & "Push me, Pull me"
    Guitar fed thru drum machine- "You Are"
    Sitar- Hidden thingy after "Inside Job"
    French Horn & Violen- "Just Breathe"
    Vocoder- "Help Help"
    Ah uja & fake human head (technically not heard, rather used as P.A. system and micorophone)- scattered throughout 'Binaural'
    Octoban, tambourine, & sleigh bell thing- "W.M.A."
    Accordian- "Bugs" (duh)
    Ukulele- "Soon Forget" (double duh)
    Typewriter- Hidden whatever after "Parting Ways"
    Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.
    Sound of thrown guitar upon impact- "Go" & "Brain of J.F.K."
    Sound of 'change' hitting the floor- "Of the Girl"

Anyone wanna mention all the songs with piano or organ on them, please do. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. Oh, and the horn-like sound on "All those Yesterdays" at the 1:30 mark. That's actually Jeff's bass. Sorry if I'm repeating some of these from previous posts
    Post edited by pleatherman on
    edited July 2009
    Sound of drumsticks hitting the wall of the studio at the end of a take - **EDIT** It's RVM :oops:
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Sound of drumsticks hitting the wall of the studio at the end of a take - Go

I know I hear them at the end of RVM.

Yup... That's the one. You are correct. :oops:
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    This may be a little off-topic, but I always loved the beginning of "Brain of J." when they stop for a second and restart. Anyone know who it is that says "sorry" at the beginning of the track?

And Backspacer is apparently going to contain some horns and piano, so expect to add to the list when it comes out!
    tcaporale wrote:
    This may be a little off-topic, but I always loved the beginning of "Brain of J." when they stop for a second and restart. Anyone know who it is that says "sorry" at the beginning of the track?

And Backspacer is apparently going to contain some horns and piano, so expect to add to the list when it comes out!

I wanna say it's Mike because he is playing the opening riff, I do believe.
  • Sitar- Hidden thingy after "Inside Job"

i don't think that's a sitar mate. they are playing the strings on the headstock of the guitar.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited July 2009
    Sitar- Hidden thingy after "Inside Job"

i don't think that's a sitar mate. they are playing the strings on the headstock of the guitar.

No, no. It really is a sitar. Honest. I got the info from an article on Twofeetthick.com titled "Do Any Pj albums have Hidden Tracks?" (the article no longer exists, blast it). Jonathan Cohen asks Jeff what instrument is being played on the hidden track. He says it is a snippet from a weird little ditty by Ed playing the sitar.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Mankind", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.
    Great list but does Stone count as an "Unusual sound"? :)
  • Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Mankind", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.

I would consider Stones' vocals on "Gremmie" an unusual sound.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Sitar- Hidden thingy after "Inside Job"

No, no. It really is a sitar. Honest. I got the info from an article on Twofeetthick.com titled "Do Any Pj albums have Hidden Tracks?" (the article no longer exists, blast it). Jonathan Cohen asks Jeff what instrument is being played on the hidden track. He says it is a snippet from a weird little ditty by Ed playing the sitar.

good call. i stand corrected. :D
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    s_rockvam wrote:
    Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Mankind", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.

I would consider Stones' vocals on "Gremmie" an unusual sound.
    :lol: That made my day dude!

Also, kudos to the above guy for the huge list.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    HeavyHands wrote:

No shame required..... It's on Go as well.

The stuff they used to record binaurally isn't really strange sounds, though. It's a different listen, but I don't hear any particular sounds really caused by the mics. The fake human head has the microphones down inside the ear canal, so it "hears" things the way a human does.

What about the tea kettle whistle in Not For You?
    Stone- "Mankind, "Don't Gimme No Lip", "Mankind", "Gremmie out of Control", etc.

Why would I put Stone down like that? Because I know he isn't going to read it. :) Actually, now that I think about it, for the unenlightened listener hearing Stone's voice in the context of a pearl jam song might appear quite unusual. If you are reading this, Stone, I think you're great! Time to listen to some Bayleaf now, which is unusual in the best possible sense.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    DewieCox wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Its on Save You also.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    HeavyHands wrote:

Are we sure it's Dave throwing sticks?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    I like the coin being tossed during Of The Girl (i think on that song) and the boiling kettle during NFY.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573

Why would I put Stone down like that? Because I know he isn't going to read it. :) Actually, now that I think about it, for the unenlightened listener hearing Stone's voice in the context of a pearl jam song might appear quite unusual. If you are reading this, Stone, I think you're great! Time to listen to some Bayleaf now, which is unusual in the best possible sense.
    True story. I love me some Stone singing.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
    DewieCox wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

The stuff they used to record binaurally isn't really strange sounds, though. It's a different listen, but I don't hear any particular sounds really caused by the mics. The fake human head has the microphones down inside the ear canal, so it "hears" things the way a human does.

What about the tea kettle whistle in Not For You?

Yeah, when I looked back at my post earlier I realized the P.A. and microphones used on Binaural, no matter how unusual, were actually filtering the sounds coming through them. Good one on the tea kettle. The idea of a tea kettle blowing its lid does fit nicely with the lyrical content of the song.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Yeah, when I looked back at my post earlier I realized the P.A. and microphones used on Binaural, no matter how unusual, were actually filtering the sounds coming through them. Good one on the tea kettle. The idea of a tea kettle blowing its lid does fit nicely with the lyrical content of the song.

I left this out of my first post....... I can definitely see where you were comin from though. ;)
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    CJMST3K wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Are we sure it's Dave throwing sticks?

I do believe so. Seems to me there was an article years ago that dave had to play it over and over because either ed or the producer werent happy with it, so they wanted him to play it until they liked it. The result from what I understand is after many many takes of this for dave....Not sure if its true, but that is my recolection of it.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Hmm. not sure i have ever noticed the tea kettle blowing its top on NFY. where at in the song ?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    Hmm. not sure i have ever noticed the tea kettle blowing its top on NFY. where at in the song ?

If you listen to the CD you'll hear it more clearly. On youtube you can barely hear it at the 0:16 - 0:25 mark. I thought everyone knew about that one... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXis-EU-SIE
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    The list includes Rival and says Dakota. I'm assuming that's the name of the dog growling at the beginning. Unless a Dakota is something i've never heard of.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • is that a starter pistol at the beginning of Push Me, Pull Me?

and, something sounds like an airplane WHOOSH during Wishlist.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    :lol:
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104752&start=60
    kat put a post and explain :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I always feel like the coin idea on Of the Girl is the result of the coin hitting the stage when Ed went off on the crowd for them throing things. You can clearly hear the coins hit the stage. Probably not where they got the idea but it sure does remind me of it.