Options

***ECHOES: Pearl Jam's new interviews (updated)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Here is an interview/live review from the 9-17-09 edition of Rolling Stone with Steve Colbert on the cover. I don't believe this has been available online so I cannot provide a link.

Backstage with Vedder and Co. in Chicago. Plus: Supercharged new tunes
    By: Brian Hiatt
    AS EDDIE VEDDER SITS backstage in a Chicago arena, puzzling over the set list for tonight's Pearl Jam show, he's wearing a stage outfit that even the Dude would reject as a touch too casual: knee-length surfing shorts; a T-shirt decorated with a picture of Felix the Cat holding a bomb; suede half-boots; and a pair of long white socks from his band's merchandise collection. "We make things we can use," Vedder says, smiling underneath his thick beard. "I mean, I've never had to buy socks again."
    More than ever, Pearl Jam is a self-contained, self-sustaining entity. Their new album, September 20th's Backspacer, will be the first that the band will release on its own, with no U.S. record label. Until the album comes out, Pearl Jam are performing only a couple of the disc's tautly arranged, hypermelodic tunes, but their enthusiasm for the material is obvious: Midway through the show, as Stone Gossard kicks into the Stones-y riff of the first single, "The Fixer," Vedder leaps straight up in the air as if it's still 1991.
    "Fight to get it back again," he howls over and over as the song concludes. The new tunes are as punchy and fast as anything they've ever written: "Normally, as you get older, things start to settle down a little bit," says Vedder. "And you play more like, you know, porch songs, at that porch tempo — the tempo of your rocking chair," Vedder says. "But what feels like lightning in a bottle to us is still the stuff that has momentum."
    Although the band is fascinated by the lavish production of U2's 360° Tour — Vedder even had a vivid dream about it recently — Pearl Jam's own approach is as minimal as arena rock gets. "We haven't had a discussion about what we're going to do about the stage setup," Gossard says with a laugh after the show, between sips of red wine. "Maybe we should have a mirror ball this time." Adds Vedder, "Our approach is, we just keep playing."
    Along the way, Pearl Jam shake up their set lists, night after night — this evening's show includes 21 songs they didn't play the previous night in Chicago, including "Nothingman" and the recently revived rarity "Brother" — plus covers (the Who's "The Real Me," Neil Young's "Fuckin' Up," and chunks of Pink Floyd and Sleater-Kinney).
    Vedder is in charge of the set lists: "We give him a lot of control," says Gossard, "because he's shown himself to be good at using that control." The singer walks a delicate balance between hits and obscurities. "It's a big room, so you try to put in enough things people know," Vedder says. "And then there's a whole other faction that's very unhappy unless we play something we've only played twice before."
    Tonight, one member of that faction — wearing a homemade T-shirt emblazoned with the words "No 'Even Flow'" — elicits Vedder's only grumpy moment: "We take requests, not orders, sir," he says after the band finishes that very song, with lead guitarist Mike McCready and drummer Matt Cameron stretching out on wild solos. "You should know that by now."
    Before the show, Vedder met with his friend Tomas Young, an Iraq War vet paralyzed from the chest down after taking a bullet to the spine, who was featured in the documentary Body of War. Young brought his brother Nathan, who just returned safely from his own latest tour of duty. Nathan asked Vedder to play the stark anti-war ballad "No More" — and that was one request Vedder treated as an order. "If a soldier asks you to play this song," he says, "you play it."

Very cool. I've bought most of their socks but they're not offered anymore!!!! ;):o
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    *slides up her nerd glasses* :ugeek:

Got something for the teacher to write on the chalkboard! :mrgreen:

Here's the link to the thread on Tom Tomorrow's latest interview with Washington Post and his concern on his blog:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113483&start=0

*ignores people calling me teacher's pet, hops away*

:mrgreen:

It's an interesting read, folks!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    "Normally, as you get older, things start to settle down a little bit," says Vedder. "And you play more like, you know, porch songs, at that porch tempo — the tempo of your rocking chair," Vedder says.

Yeah the PORCH SONG we know is not the same kinda PORCH song that everyone else does :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    3Sat video interview with Ed and Matt 9.8.09
    http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=14278

The one above....Was anyone able to get this to play properly? It seems like there is something wrong with the video clip.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    First I'd like to apologize for my written english. While I was in the US I spend more time out in bars or sports field than at school... :oops:

Then, I found that horrible report from a swiss paper called "Le Temps" about Backspacer. Here's the link:

http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/3d322e1 ... _Pearl_Jam

For those who don't understand french, I'm trying here to translate the worst part to show how stupid this report is (by the way, it's a good exercise for me... ;) ). For those who write better in english than me, feel free to correct me...

"During the decade of the Tad, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees et autres Babes in Toyland, dominated by the esthetic grunge, Pearl Jam already was the smooth face, almost FM (radio orientated...).
    What survived from that period for PJ? Well, nothing. PJ is always a decorative element in the US rock by always using the same recepts without bringing anything new.
    Backspacer is a cruel album: it just remember us how overrated this group was for years and shows us the damages the years made on the group.
    Roughly, Pearl Jam lost little today which he possessed, that is the magnificent voice of his singer and the sound which made him recognizable, crushed here by a production without scale nor boldness.
    (my favorite sentence) Another disk of excess."

Hope you enjoyed it...

Bullshit!!!!
    Zürich - 06/23/00
    Irving Plaza (NYC) - 05/06/06
    Bern - 09/13/06
    Berlin - 08/15/09
    London - 06/25/10
    Berlin - 06/30/10
  • Options
    Here's an interview with Matt.
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/08/new-space/?features&zIndex=179005

Another small interview, concerning Matt and the man who gave him drum lessons as a teenager, Jon Szanto.
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/08/beat-goes-pearl-jam-drum/?features&zIndex=179006
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Our local alternative station sent me an e-mail with this link:

http://knrk.pearljamradiotakeover.com/

Next Thursday at noon (Pacific Time) looks like a pretty cool show. Inteviews and music both.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to share this, so I'll post it in a different thread as well.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Dutch radio PJ interview
    cgi.omroep.nl
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    Nice

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    Here's an interview (part 1) with Stone in danish.

http://www.gaffa.dk/artikel/36134
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Options
    bunnybunny Posts: 270
    great ! :*.;".*・;・^;・:\(*^▽^*)/:・;^・;・*.";.*: ♪

I'm glad. PJ Information is a little in my country.

・・・but it will take a few years for me to read all :roll:

kat,thank you very much!
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    kazuki.k wrote:

kat,thank you very much!

And thank you very much kazuki...you'll get a lot out of it...they had lots to say. :wave:

And you'll find lots of information here on the forums...and most of it is even true! :lol:
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Kat wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:

kat,thank you very much!

And thank you very much kazuki...you'll get a lot out of it...they had lots to say. :wave:

And you'll find lots of information here on the forums...and most of it is even true! :lol:

do you not know what youve done kat!!! the amount of us tour threads are about the explode :lol::lol:
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    kazuki.k wrote:

kat,thank you very much!

Hi! I wish I knew how to translate English into Japanese properly... but had to say hello and welcome!

My 14 yr old daughter, who recently joined 10c, wants to go to Japan and live there. The only reason why she has been getting straight A's is because I promised her I'd look into student exchange program when she starts high school next year. :cry: (mom is gonna regret it later!)

Would be cool if she was there and PJ played... and perhaps with a new Japanese friend from here. ;)

Enjoy the interviews, however long it takes! :D
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    Google translate: Gaffa DK Stone marathon interview

GAFFA Henrik Tuxen has been a marathon interview with guitarist Stone Gossard. Read the first part.
    Next year Pearl Jam celebrating its 20th anniversary. In this context, GAFFA Pearl Jam expert Henrik Tuxen - author of "The Pearl Jam Footsteps" - made a marathon interview with guitarist Stone Gossard. Here comes the first part.

Your latest album "Backspacer" has been well received and has been a success. What do you think I succeeded with the "Backspacer"?

- I think it is a record that marks a specific time period for us. What succeeded was that the band went together and wrote the material before Ed became involved this time, compared to organize more than usual. Normally we meet all together and throw a lot out, it can be quite overwhelming. We were a little more focused this time, and given the opportunity to really show something rather than Ed. I think it gave us all confidence, which helped to make a record that probably both are so simple and compact, as we've ever made. If something was not exciting, we scrapped it. We ended up ha '5-6 songs, which were under three minutes, which is pretty cool. I might like it long. We can achieve much at the time, the Beatles proved one time after another, in relation to dynamics and new sounds. Now I have it, like a song that is 4-5 minutes is too long for me.

- It was a really good experience working with Brendan (O'Brien, producer, Ed.) Again. We spent a lot of time with him and it was really good after not having worked with him for a long time. (He produced four Pearl Jam album in the 90s, ed.) Everyone was very open to each other's ideas. That we experience here, where almost everyone is in the round of the 45th We feel very fortunate and blessed compared to where we are as a band. Because of it we were all in a good spirit, because we made the plate. If you have good spirit, I think you are going to make music that is better than if you are stressed. I do not think we necessarily are best when we are stressed.

So, your songs are shorter and shorter, and your concerts longer and longer? (In Philadelphia this year, Pearl Jam played a concert with 41 numbers in all lasted over 3 ½ hours, Ed.).

- Yes, it is true, totally (laughs). Next time we do something, is there an opportunity to challenge "Backspacer". I do not know what we will do, but I hope we get to experiment a lot. Not necessarily in the song's length, but in different moods, and continues to explore the more curious aspects of "Backspacer" in relation to the grooves, etc. I hope that we follow the path and go deeper into that route.

Chaos and control

Drummer Matt Cameron is quite wild, such as the opening track "Gonna See a Friend". It's like hearing Keith Moon with a steady beat.

- Yes, it is an entirely accurate description. We talked about the song, and when we started playing it, I continued to listen to Mudhoney. When Mudhoney broke through, they were able to something that was incredible, a sort of chaos, where the drums rolled forward over the place, guitars and fuzz all over. It's as if Matt takes a Mudhoney-beat, but make it a muskelbundt. The accuracy is incredible, and while he has retained that feeling of total chaos. It is very rare for a drummer who is so precise, allows himself the liberty of chaos. Really good session drummers tend to be rather conservative in their style of play. They are accustomed to working with produce that says "keep it simple, it is a pop song," etc. Matt has retained something of the child instinctively where you just want to go completely berserk on the drums.

# 1
    With Backspacer went # 1 on the Billboard charts for the first time in 13 years, how was it for you?

- It was exciting and very short (laughs), we had only one week. But it helped when the plate some distance away. We could have gone in as # 2 and it would not ha 'been a head-lines, but because we went # 1, was next week's story "Pearl Jam favor as # 1", and it helps to reinforce the enthusiasm over the plate and it is also something that makes people curious. We are doing well now. This era is fantastic. I say it enough each time I do an interview, but this era feels like an opening for us where we can continue to develop ourselves. We have learned so much just by staying together and be dedicated to each other, but now it's as if we become more creative as a group, in relation to everyone's instinct has been incorporated into the whole. It really is a completely open time for us now. I really feel a strong enthusiasm towards future boards. Ed continues to write his lyrics and his musical instincts are so unique. A unique combination of amazing poetry and singer-songwriter-instinct, but this love for rock and chaos, which is a very rare combination. Bruce Springsteen will never "crazy", after all, he does, but ... I do not know, but that we can go wild punk "fashion" and that Ed loves it, it makes it all really exciting. This means that we have a powerful combination, I think.

Downunder

I just played in Australia and New Zealand, how did it go?

- Good, really good. It is the first time we really played our own stadium concerts there. We would go there, but we would not spend two months on it, so we decided to get some good artists, and play stadiums. Ben Harper, Liam Finn and Relentless7, and with the artists we were able to sell 30,000 tickets encirclement. So we played the big outdoor stadium, and the audience was totally energetic. The band played well, it was good, it was a bold ride, not for long.

It was also good to see you at the small Astoria in London in August.

- Yes, but we have improved since. It was just the beginning, and we have become sharper since, it took us a while to get our legs in place. The band plays pretty well now.

115 songs

How many songs have you played since August?

- Around 115, I believe. We played four shows in a row in Philadelphia and played maybe a total of 100 different songs at the concerts. Shocking! It's another exciting thing about this band that probably has never been my instinct, I'm a little more conservative. I am a little more like this: let's play the great songs and be sure that people have heard what they've come. But Ed and Jeff in particular, they are really commited the mantra, "we have to play different things every night," we must keep the songs alive by constantly taking new material into. It has been really cool to see how it has manifisteret over a long period of time. There have certainly been people who have requested that we play songs that we have not, but now expects the audience that we play very varied and it is a big challenge for the band to learn as many songs, and remember them but we fucker up half the time, so it is. This causes everyone to feel "loose" and we say a little: it's okay to make mistakes here and there, it creates an atmosphere of spontaneity. It is open to people instead of expecting the same thing every night. It is a total luxury for us, it is a fantastic position to find themselves in.

It is not really any other bands that do?

- There are many bands that change their track list a little bit, but we change typically 15 songs out every night. And there is much rotation, so there may be songs that might be played every fifth night, which is fat. So when you finally have to play it, it's: "Oh, no, I can not remember it."

I would hate to be in a band that played so many songs, I am sure that I could not remember them.

- It's actually not so difficult; you get used to it, become acclimated to having so many events in your head. Human brains seem so very easy. It seems impossible when you think about it first, but after you once you have learned the songs, so it trigger the memory to know where they are. Everything is A, E, B and G with a few simple half tones here and there. How is it (laughs). So it is easier to be a guitar player than, for example, bassist, whose bassist not stick together at the bottom, things go wrong. As a guitarist, you can easily suck up a little round.

Pearl Jam - state of the art

How generally, where is Pearl Jam today?

- It's hard to say, we can be in different places different days each. We do not know where we're at before we begin a new project, and as it unfolds itself, so to speak. Everybody has dreams about what they think may be a new song, and what may happen, but until we are together, it is uncertain. We have learned not to think too much about what that's going to happen next time, but try to be more open and receptive to everyone's ideas and try to help as best as we possibly can. I know that if I do, the others will help me with my stuff. I think the possibilities are wide open, as things are now. We can make a very quiet people-plate, we can create an up-tempo, wild punk rock record, we can make between tempo rock, we could do a heavy metal plate, there is much we can do now. We will probably do a combination of all these elements.

"Backspacer" starts very game, but halfway to the plate becomes more warm, quiet and melodious.

- Yes, it is true. The final song "The End", I think, is one of the best songs that Ed has ever written, lyrically and musically it is very interesting. It is a bit of a Dylan-like folk-song, but the guitar part is more interesting. He uses some unexpected chords and melody course, this same is true for "Speed of Sound" (second track from "Backspacer", ed.). There are some very challenging chords of course, but it's still pop songs that are not so straightforward, but has no 'mojo' in itself. The text states, I think "The End" is shockingly strong.

"Amongst the Waves", it's you and Ed, who worked together, as I did on many of your requests in early.

- For me it felt like a perfect combination of our strengths, my ability to organize and put together a piece of music and his ability to write a text that matches it and take it to the next level. It was very easy to play, I love the crunch, which Mike McCready sounds like Mick Taylor. It was a very satisfactory arrangement for me and it felt like it had been long in coming. When you hit something together, as people discover it. It was a very satisfying song for me.

Fathers on the road

I work hard, recording and touring, but several of you have small children, how I get it to work?

- I think it prevents us from being on tour indefinitely. I do not think it makes us not want to tour. Mike and Ed took both their children to New Zealand and Australia. We travel only with many more people now. It was three weeks and it was a long time to be away from my daughter (she is two, ed.), But I knew she would be happy and be in good hands. So the travel and tour and travel may not be as fun for her. But I just enjoy being with her now. We have been together for four days, it has been fantastic (Stone is on vacation with the whole family in Hawaii, ed.) Ed has two small children, it's also Mike and Matt Cameron has two slightly older. I only have one.

Is there more coming?

- I have no plans for it, but you never know when children come, but right now it's not my plan.

The best

Should you choose, you can mention five Pearl Jam numbers, which means something special for you and why?

- "Nothing Man" is probably the most I go back to. It is a song that I had not so much to do with. I think it marks a flourishing of Jeff Ament's musical style, I think it was a journey for him, his songwriting really took off. And it was good. I had a very strong personality in the beginning, which dominated the scene, so it took some time for him to get started. The song is strong musically and lyrically, a combination that is fantastic. It is very simple and has a drone-feeling that comes from that Jeff cast his strings down so it creates a little Eastern, mystical stuff, but the roots are very pop, with simple chords. It is a really cool combination to get some drone over some chords that would otherwise be experienced as normal. It is one thing, I think he's really good to understand different types of people and write from their perspective. This is something I admire him for that and anything that has a special magic. It is something that inspires us all in the band. We try to put ourselves in the same place themselves. Trying to put ourselves in and be in someone else's thinking, it's pretty cool.

So is "Black", a song that still means something very special. It is a song where I wrote the music before I met Ed, I had the chords. It is a classic Gossard song that goes back and forth from major to minor, it is dynamic. It is dur in downbeatet and when it goes to the minor, the song begins to eject. I think it sums up my writing style as it evolved in my own bedroom. I wrote no texts at the time, but anyway, I had an idea of what to say and where it should go. And so to get Ed to write the text. First, I realized it is not true, but now over 40, I think that each line represents a movement in history that keeps changing for me, it is very expressive and powerful. It is so easy to play, it never goes wrong, the event feels perfect, there is never a time when you're thinking: Oh my god, what is the next piece? Everything is simple A-B A-B. I love that kind of simplicity.

Then there's "The End". The lyric is so simple and end up with reasonable and there is nothing that seems forced or clever about it. It feels as if the rolls of his tongue, and though it rhymes, the words feel completely natural. The combination is the soul of folk-and rock music when there is the perfect word that almost writes itself, right up to the last moment when the vocals are simply hanging in the air. It is probably the best song that Ed wrote. Ask me about something else, so we come back to rest.

Past and present

Earlier I had both tremendous success and released a lot of sheets at very short intervals. You see it as your most productive and creative period in the band's history?

- I think we published a lot of space because we did not know what we should do with ourselves. We were all worried, young people and would continue to work. It never felt that we did more than we ku 'clear. Now we probably less than what we would cope. I think the pace is somewhat slower, we now have an album out every 2nd-3rd years rather than every 1 ½. I think we have potential as a band that people could look back on and say that we are still making records, which develops, indicating that we are in touch with what we had running when we were young. The key to this is our love of punk and people and how things come back again and again. Punk gives freedom to be children, noisy and not be so self-conscious, and so people, representing simplicity and poetry. It has been there for eons, from the people in front of the campfire in the village. The two things are life line of the band. We know that you can smash derudad in an E chord, and it may prove to be the best song you've ever written, and on the other hand, poetry and vocals rhythm heart.

Eddie for the first time

The way I came into contact with Eddie on was that he was sent to a band where I had recorded the instrumental tracks for some of your songs, which he recorded his vocals to. What was your immediate experience, as you heard his vocals the first time in your songs?

- The first tape was "Alive" and "Once" and "Footsteps". He could certainly sing, and he had a deep vocals that I really had not expected. I had not heard anyone sing in the low register earlier. On the contemporary music, we heard that there was no one singing in the area. He had an incredibly strong pitch, but to be honest, it took me a while to really understand him. We had also started to make Temple of the Dog. I grew up with bands that played while Soundgarden and Chris Cornell. I knew his style, and the Temple of the Dog-plate was incredibly easy to do. Chris had written most of the songs. He allowed me and Jeff to write three songs, which he took to it immediately. From start to finish everything was done in two weeks. I love it, but can hardly remember that I have played on it. So I was probably a little spoiled at the time (laughs). To sing on a level with Chris, the cross bar is so high, Ed turned out to have 'its own character, he tried not to sound like Chris whatsoever. He was inspired by him, but he clearly had his own style. But actually it took me years to understand it, I think it was my own blindness to his creative instincts. I was so young, not that it took me awhile to understand it. But Jeff was on - and understood - Ed right away, I did not.

So it actually took you a while?

- Yes, I could hear some of it was good. I knew that "Black" and "Even Flow" was good, but compared to the vocal hooks I was looking for some who were faster and more right on. He was as much a poet it was not about hooks for him. He had just ha 'information out in a way that felt right for him when I was in a world where I was accustomed to singers who were little more slaves to the tunes, it took me a while.

Wow, a Volvo

When it dawned on you that I had what was needed?

- I never felt comfortable with the concept. Even after we started to sell records (we can safely say, Ed.), I was very grateful and I can remember that I bought a Volvo estate, and I was "wow", it is incredible, I'm running around in a station wagon. I had played in 10 years without earning any money. So it was a "thrill" that we sold many records and earned money, but we were also all a little uneasy about it all. A bit like "wow", now we must live up to what people say. There are many who will see us, but we are now so good? I was unsure about it, I feel so much more fun now, and can rely more on the situation. It is much more fun now than it ever was then. There were good shows back then, but it was a lot of pressure, I never felt worthy. Now I understand it all better, and I feel worthy of comparison with it, because I understand the simplicity of being, and I know that anybody could do it. This leads me to trust it all the more: it is linked to all the time we spent together. You have to be a band in 20 years to really get to the stage and the understanding. It is the most difficult thing in the world, and as many bands do not achieve because they are short-sighted about their nature and what it is that people really love about music. We can now look back at 20 years and say 'we did it "and now we can really do it, because now we can relax and have confidence about it. We are in the perfect position, certainly

20 years

If someone had told you that you still would have been a band about 20 years since I started, what would you have said?

- I would've been happy. Looking at the old interviews and see what I said then it was just that. If we could keep our heads down and continue to continue and not be shortsighted in comparison to please everyone, or do something because we thought it would give you our success rather than do something because it's fun. I think one of the great things we did early was that we had some ideals as a band, and to share art in the band is important. To treat each other and share things together is important and doing it yourself is the best solution in the long end, rather than to make others so. Also in relation to themselves to play on our plates, even though we may not have been so professional. I think all those things - though we at times have lost them - have continued to come back, I think it has principles that have made this band special. There are many special bands out there and a lot of amazing musicians all over. I'm sure you can go out tonight and see five guitarists in Copenhagen, which is fantastic singers with beautiful voices, but they can get together and finding the path of understanding for each other and their band? I think it is the hardest path for all bands to tread, and also it to go through the hard times together to get out on the other side. There is the philosophy of this band, which I think is a key in its long-term success.

Bad side

I had so much wind in the sails at the beginning that I was almost destroyed by your own success, or you always knew that I would survive?

- I had much doubt, many times. But every time I would sleep on it, and when I awoke, there was one who said "we are about to make a record about two months, you will be with" and so I said "ok". You go through the process and suddenly you have made a new record and was on a new trip. And although there were problems along the way, but you try to understand each other's personalities and viewpoints, and in this way can you find a new way to respond to the next time a situation arises. The least you can do is to ensure that the environment is so good for everyone, as it is possible for you. If you do, it inspires everyone else to try to do the same, you try to get a flow running in the group.

Do you think there is a Pearl Jam for 10 years?

- I hope so.

Old trotter

We've talked about that I constantly change your track list, but songs like "Black," "Alive," "Even Flow" and "Better Man" I have played over 500 times. How can I keep them fresh?

- Do you know what it is actually fun. We change songs so much that when we get to a song like "Better Man" or "Even Flow" that is more for the audience, they are easy to play, and audio and subtitles match musically. They are in no way a problem. What we are talking about is four songs from the typical 27, which we played on an evening, it's like a little island of familiarity in a big ocean. Sometimes there is very odd tin of Sætliste. We appreciate it and we can see that the audience reacts to it. The biggest thing is to hear the audience singing along, so the songs are very to act on the audience.

Chris and Timbaland

We talked about Chris Cornell. He has taken a drastic step and recorded with Timbaland. Could you imagine that Pearl Jam did a similar challenge?

- No, I can not just see, maybe I dream sometimes about it. Timbaland is a genius who created some of the biggest hip-hop records ever, eg Aaliyah and Justin Timberlake and his solo material, and Chris Cornell, an amazing lyricist and songwriter. His tone is pure, and his ability to circles on the heavy Black Sabbath-fabric and traditional folk-style, it is an inspiration to us and always has been. But when you hear the album, some tracks are very cool, but it seems as though they are not challenged each other over to bring their worlds together, it seems like a compromise that weakens their mutual power. It is not as funky as Timbaland can be, and the texts are not as good as Cornell would be, so it seems that sometimes, as if to big concepts is not always as fruitful, though I respect Chris for making the attempt . I think we have kept ourselves from big concepts. I think there is a producer out there or a partner who could be a challenge, and I see Temple of the Dog as a collaboration in which two bands got together and made a record together. It is very interesting and it seems as though many of its kind working today, but it is not always that combines both their forces and potentials.

Neil Young

- Creating a record with Pearl Jam and a second artist would be incredible and it was actually what we did with Neil Young on "Mirror Ball". He made a record with us as a backing band. I do not think it was so successful and that we played as good as we could. Neil showed us just three chords, and we played it once or twice, and he said "great, done, perfect." We never had a chance to do better. You have no time with Neil, so you must be a genius right away. And it was slightly above our level to be a genius right away. But I am proud of the plate and pleased that Neil took us under his arm. "Okay, Pearl Jam, big band, I'll make a record with them, but I would not use Eddie" (ha ha), it is so funny, he is an incredible character. He just wanted to help us as a band, "You are good," he said, "Take a band." He challenged Eddie suffered.

I saw you on the Heyday of Roskilde in 1995, with Radiohead and a few others. It was fat.

- I think it was just before Radiohead were giants.

I think "The Bends" was out, but had not taken decisive speed yet.

- No, I do not believe that they were aware of how big they were being. They played a little disjointed, they do not anymore.

To be continued in near future
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Options
    bunnybunny Posts: 270
    IamMine wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:

kat,thank you very much!

Hi! I wish I knew how to translate English into Japanese properly... but had to say hello and welcome!

My 14 yr old daughter, who recently joined 10c, wants to go to Japan and live there. The only reason why she has been getting straight A's is because I promised her I'd look into student exchange program when she starts high school next year. :cry: (mom is gonna regret it later!)

Would be cool if she was there and PJ played... and perhaps with a new Japanese friend from here. ;)

Enjoy the interviews, however long it takes! :D

Hi!Nice to meet you IamMine :)
    I'm glad of "hello and welcome" :)
    I'm looking foward to PJ-Japan-tour.

and,If I can share a time with your daughter at a same LIVE,it will be wonderful.
    (( :roll: Probably this english is wrong,,I'm sorry..I don't know how to write in English :roll: ))
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    Does anyone have a transcript of the globe and mail article?

Thanks
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

This discussion has been closed.