Options

***ECHOES: Pearl Jam's new interviews (updated)

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Agreed MFC. Best interview of the bunch. Used to listen to Pierre when I lived in Philly
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mfc2006 wrote:
    that WMMR interview was great.
    exactly!!!!!!!!!awesome!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Yes, the French Horns and violins on a Pearl Jam song. Never thought I'd see the day...........

There's so much Pearl Jam history and so many songs that it can be easy to forget things...and I sometimes forget things too but Sea remembered...

April Cameron - viola on 'Parting Ways'; Justine Foy - cello on 'Parting Ways'

There's piano on Ten and sometimes people forget that Pearl Jam have always used keys.

It all just depends on the sound that is needed. They've even used a barking dog. :)
    (Hey, this could be a good thread of its own, to not derail this one...unusual sounds used on PJ albums - I'd read it. )

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    and not to derail the obvious, but what is Kat doing up at this hour????

:D

love the interviews...thanks for throwing this all under one heading.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Kat wrote:
    It all just depends on the sound that is needed. They've even used a barking dog. :)
    (Hey, this could be a good thread of its own, to not derail this one...unusual sounds used on PJ albums...

My fave has to be the fire extinguisher on Ten. Tim Palmer's extinguisher playing is soooooo much better than his pepper shaker. :lol:;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Kat wrote:
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Yes, the French Horns and violins on a Pearl Jam song. Never thought I'd see the day...........

There's so much Pearl Jam history and so many songs that it can be easy to forget things...and I sometimes forget things too but Sea remembered...

There's piano on Ten and sometimes people forget that Pearl Jam have always used keys.

(Hey, this could be a good thread of its own, to not derail this one...unusual sounds used on PJ albums - I'd read it. )

xo

RIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    I'm enjoying Kat's obvious excitement about Backspacer, she seems to be posting a lot more recently.

She has probably heard the album and she said the other day that this one means a lot to her, so i'm super pumped!

The violins on Parting Ways are beautiful.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    lets hear from jeff!!

+1000000000000 Jeff is the man.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    einatshaul wrote:
    Ed surfs Tankers, very important information indeed!
    :shock: very scary information :o
    Sounds awfully dangerous! those monsters take miles to brake or turn! :?
    goldrush wrote:
    blue_rain wrote:
    Parksy wrote:
    this Zane Lowe guy is a DEUCHEBAG. !!!!!!

Agreed, but he really is a genuine fan. I'd rather listen to him than someone who knows nothing about the band he's talking about.

I've met Zane quite a few times over the years, mostly at gigs, and whatever people think about him he is a genuine music fan, and a HUGE PJ fan. His enthusiasm can get the better of him when he interviews people (he starts talking even faster!) but that's just because he's excited about the interview. He interviewed Mike for MTV in front of some of the fans outside before the Cardiff show in 2000 and he was like a nervous litle kid! You could tell he was thinking "Fuck! It's Mike McCready!!"
    yeah, I love watching the tape of Reading's broadcast and you see when they cut back to them and Alive is playing in the background that he's just DYING to be down there with us!
    I don't actually listen to his show (tried a couple of times but every time it was dance or electro type music and I just switched off), but I love to see him talking about PJ, feels like watching one of us :mrgreen:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Kat wrote:
    pjamaholic wrote:

xo
    piano in Black is awesome !!!!!!!!!!!thanks Kat ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    DPrival78 wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    Details from multiple interviews:

The Fixer
    Matt wrote the music
    Eddie wrote the lyrics
    Stone and Mike wrote the bridge.

What other details did I leave out, anyone? anyone? :)

Should Eddie get credit for the arrangement? From the Feb. 19th Rolling Stone article:

Another tune, penned by drummer Matt Cameron, is a bigger surprise: It's sleek power pop, with a Stones-y intro riff leading into a tight, chiming verse and a catchy vocal melody that wouldn't be out of place on a Kings of Leon record. "that could have been a seven-minute, weird, sideways kind of artsy song with a cool groove," Vedder says. "I tinkered with it after everyone left, and we shrunk it down and turned it into something else... I'm thinking about set lists: 'Will this be a song we'll play every night?'"

He is the fixer, after all!

when the song is loooong, i wanna put a bit of shortnin' on it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Details from multiple interviews:

The Fixer
    Matt wrote the music
    Eddie wrote the lyrics
    Stone and Mike wrote the bridge.

What other details did I leave out, anyone? anyone? :)
    I heard there would be two versions of the album - one being a Fan club version :D
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    I want Cameron Crowe's JOB. Was it stone that said something about "him sifting through all the old unseen footage". What a job that would be! HEAVEN! :D:D:D
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    when the song is loooong, i wanna put a bit of shortnin' on it

good one
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Kat wrote:
    pjamaholic wrote:

xo

I was just going to say, I was listening to Parting Ways on my IPod today and heard violins (or viola/cello) on it. So not the first time they've used violins on one of their songs. But Horns - the first time, I believe.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    has anyone seen this interview with classic rock magazine
    http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... ll-record/
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    are their horns on All Those Yesterdays?? i could swear there's a part in there that sure sounds like horns.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    mfc2006 wrote:
    are their horns on All Those Yesterdays?? i could swear there's a part in there that sure sounds like horns.

It is Jeff's bass. I don't know if they used some effect or what, but it is most definitely Jeff's bass producing that sound.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

It is Jeff's bass. I don't know if they used some effect or what, but it is most definitely Jeff's bass producing that sound.

that's what i thought. i checked the liner notes & have never heard any mention of horns on that song. damn, i'd like to know what he was using on that to get that sound so i can try it! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Didn't they use a fire extinguisher on one song...?

Edit: it was a pepper shaker and a fire extinguisher on Oceans.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    LOVE new music
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    Here's one from Radio 92.3 Cleveland w/ Stone.
    http://www.radio923fm.com/pages/4860658.php
  • Options
    Awesome thread! Thanks for compiling all the links.
  • Options
    dreamtonicdreamtonic Posts: 127
    this one came out of australia today. interview/article with Ed, Stone, and Mike. I just read it and learned that Mike surfs!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 21,00.html

Oh, and quote from Ed "We've heard good things about the album, although I have a healthy sense of distrust." :lol:
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Great thread! I went through today and listened to and read all the interviews. Thanks, Kat! :D
  • Options
    New interview 8.1.09: Courier Mail

nice

real nice
  • Options
    PRIESTYPRIESTY Posts: 67
    Stone on NOVA Radio - Australia

Left hand side of page - Latest Podcasts - 3rd August

15:35 into the podcast

http://www.nova969.com.au/site/shows/merrick_rosso_kate.aspx
  • Options
    dreamtonic wrote:
    this one came out of australia today. interview/article with Ed, Stone, and Mike. I just read it and learned that Mike surfs!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 21,00.html

Oh, and quote from Ed "We've heard good things about the album, although I have a healthy sense of distrust." :lol:

Aw, the story about the Disney tear is sad. Good article...thanks for posting!
  • Options
    koda74koda74 Posts: 86
    So much catching up to do, thanks for the links ;)
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    theres a new nme article could some one transcribe it on here please :D
This discussion has been closed.