Options

Any Must-See Spots in Chicago? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    sludawg13 wrote:
    CH57926 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. Any suggestion on a good hole in the wall blues bar? Do those still exist?

Buddy Guy's Legends - It's like 2000 S. Wabash or something like that. I'm going to take a look and see who's playing on the 22nd. May hit it up after the Bears game. Don't go to the ones on Halsted!

Food suggestions:
    PORTILLO'S - Hot Dogs, Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, and the Combo (half beef, half sausage)
    GIORDANO'S - Deep dish pizza. Gino's East is overrated, especially after they moved to the old Planet Hollywood. Took some friends there and was very disappointed! :(
    THE BILLY GOAT - It's underneath Michigan Avenue. Don't go to the one on Navy Pier. The guy who takes your order yells at you (just like the SNL skits). Old school bar on the side, complete with the 70 year old bartender.
    STANLEY'S - For all the Eddie stalkers, this is the place he hung out after Lollapalooza and during his solo shows last summer. The food there is pretty good, plus it's only a few blocks from the Lincoln Park Zoo for those who are thinking about going there.

I took a water taxi for the first time the other day. It was awesome!!! It's like a very, very cheap architecture cruise on the river. I paid $3 to go from Michigan Ave. to the Sears Tower. They only run until 8pm though.
    buddy guy's is on roughly 7th and state
  • Options
    Hey, my bf and I are flying in from Calgary so I've been planning this trip to Chicago for a while. I ordered the official tourism guide from here: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_tourism.htm

When I arrived, I picked out all the interesting spots and compiled all the info into a Word file with descriptions, web sites, hours, costs, maps, etc. If anyone is interested, send me a PM & I'd be happy to e-mail it!

FYI: The only Cubs game is happening on August 25 (evening game), which is my birthday ;)
    From what I've heard (online), THE places to see are the Art Institute, Hancock Observatory (which apparently has a better view than Sears Tower... now known as Skydeck), Navy Pier, Hard Rock Hotel, Wrigley Field, Shedd Aquarium (you can swim with a beluga!) and Ed Debevics (50's style diner).

I'm also planning on doing a walking food & architectural tour with these guys: www.chicagofoodplanet.com

can't wait... leaving on the 20th!
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.

Shows: 05/30/03, 09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/24/05, 09/25/05, 07/22/06, 04/02/08 (EV solo), 08/08/09, 08/23/09, 08/24/09, 09/25/09, 09/21/11, 09/23/11, /9/30/12, 12/02/13... many more to come!
  • Options
    If you have an evening or two, stop by the Violet Hour in Wicker Park. All drinks are $12 and don't have more than two. It is at 1520 n Damen and can be easily missed as it is a building with no windows...speakeasy style.

If there is a line, the door man will call your cell phone when seating is available. No standing inside the bar.

Go early to avoid long waits.
  • Options
    Best place for deep dish pizza in the city of Chicago (and the world) is Pequods!

I highly recommend you stop into their Lincoln Park location for a pie and a beer.

http://www.pequodspizza.com/
    I'll ride the wave, where it takes me...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    . All drinks are $12 .

i'm sorry, but you aren't living the high life
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    my hotel room

booya
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Hey, my bf and I are flying in from Calgary so I've been planning this trip to Chicago for a while. I ordered the official tourism guide from here: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_tourism.htm

When I arrived, I picked out all the interesting spots and compiled all the info into a Word file with descriptions, web sites, hours, costs, maps, etc. If anyone is interested, send me a PM & I'd be happy to e-mail it!

I think you must be related to my gf... she'd do that sort of thing too ;)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,500
    rssesq wrote:

I LOVE Pepe's but lately Ive been loving Modern. Cant go wrong at Sally's either.
    Yeah, Pepes has turned into a bit of a nightmare in the last 10 years
    but its sentimental to me as my old man used to take me there after going to games at the yale bowl
    they are all very good and no doubt, the best pizza in the country IMHO
  • Options
    IamBETELIamBETEL Posts: 110
    Thanks for this thread. I'm going to be in Chicago longer than I had though (not by much though). So I'm definitely going to try to hit up some of these places to eat and maybe do a tiny bit of site seeing.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    bump for pamela
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    MMMMMMM now I want to go to Chicago and go here
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-and-burrit ... -2-chicago
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,667
    mindi wrote:

Thanks! Now I know what I want for lunch.
  • Options
    mvw wrote:
    mindi wrote:

I went there after PJ night 2 in 09. It was like 3am and I was pretty trashed, but damn it was good!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Got some great ideas of some new places to go. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    Woobynab wrote:
    I would reccomend two places:

1. The John Hancock Tower. It is the 2nd tallest tower in Chicago. It only costs $5 to go to the top. The Sear's Tower is like $25 and usually has long lines.

2. I would also reccomend the Chicago Art Museum. It is one of the most extensive collections in America, and cheap too.
    Just for the record, the Hancock tower is the fourth tallest building in Chicago. First comes the Sears/Willis Tower, second the Trump Tower, third the Aon Center and then the Hancock.
    You can go up for free by saying that you are going to the restaurant on the top ;)
    My fav places in Chicago are Lincoln Park and Wicker Park. Millennium Park and the Bean are also great spots!
    Enjoy Chi-town!
  • Options
    The elevator ride to the top of the Sears Tower is frightening because of how long it takes and because of how high up you know you are going.

The view from the top is amazing if it's a clear day. I think they said yo can see 4 or 5 States from the top.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    mindi wrote:
    mvw wrote:
    mindi wrote:

I went there after PJ night 2 in 09. It was like 3am and I was pretty trashed, but damn it was good!

A friend of mine used to live right down the street from there. I have been there many, many times at 3 am. Great late night mexican place.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    mindi wrote:

I haven't been there in so long! mmm greasy quesadillas after a night of drinking...always a good choice!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    I'm planning a trip to Chicago now just for some mexican food! Must go to taco and burrito palace :P
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mindi wrote:

I haven't been there in so long! mmm greasy quesadillas after a night of drinking...always a good choice!

what would a limo cost for the night? we might need one in march.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mindi wrote:

I have no idea, we walked from some cheesy bar that was a few blocks away, maybe. Then we walked to the El(L) station.
    We took a cab to the bar, I want to say it was McGil(something), but we took a cab from United Center to there and I have no clue how much that was, $13 or $30. You have to remember I was trashed. Ahhh good times! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mindi wrote:

a lot. taxi's are getting outrageous, too. The bus or the el would be the cheapest.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

No need for a limo - it's about a 10 minute walk from Alive One :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

problem is.....getting home at 3am :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

problem is.....getting home at 3am :lol:

Minor details!
  • Options
    Hey if I can take the El home, well to my hotel, for the very first time, drunk at 4am, I think anyone can :lol:
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I figured it be a good time to bring this thread back to life.
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Woobynab wrote:
    I would reccomend two places:

1. The John Hancock Tower. It is the 2nd tallest tower in Chicago. It only costs $5 to go to the top. The Sear's Tower is like $25 and usually has long lines.

2. I would also reccomend the Chicago Art Museum. It is one of the most extensive collections in America, and cheap too.

I agree with both. Always like Big John over than the Willis tower.

Also Try getting tix to Book of Mormon

Most people go to restaurants/ bars south of Wrigley but there are a few good places north. Byron's 3 blocks north of Wrigley has great hot dogs including dogzilla (1 lb dog) but only has outdoor sitting. Sheffield's is a great bar 3 blocks south.
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis