Options

Any Must-See Spots in Chicago? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003
    i believe there are some low rent apartments right by the United Center that you could talk to some very nice fellows if your looking for any upppers or downers before or after the show! its a nice area before 8pm and they filmed a Keanu Reeves movie there! it was a nice little flick about a young boys baseball team. you should love it!
    That movie was Hardball... such a sad one.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    rssesq wrote:
    I was watching the Food network last night and they had a special on the best hotdog stands in the country. Superdawg in Chicago was featured and it seemed like a must stop.

http://www.superdawg.com/

any of you locals can back that up?

As for pizza, I live 10 mins from the city with the best pizza in the world, NEW HAVEN,CT.
    That deep dish stuff is fugazi. :lol:

In my opinion, definitely the best hot dog I've ever had. But like Speedy mentioned, its definitely a ways from downtown. But lucky for me, its about 5 mins from my place and I'm there at least twice a month.
  • Options
    rssesq wrote:
    I was watching the Food network last night and they had a special on the best hotdog stands in the country. Superdawg in Chicago was featured and it seemed like a must stop.

As for pizza, I live 10 mins from the city with the best pizza in the world, NEW HAVEN,CT.

In my opinion, definitely the best hot dog I've ever had. But like Speedy mentioned, its definitely a ways from downtown. But lucky for me, its about 5 mins from my place and I'm there at least twice a month.
    Have you been to Hot Doug's? That's where I'll be going as it's downtown I think.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JITJIT Posts: 47
    EXCALIBUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    benjs wrote:
    rssesq wrote:

Have you been to Hot Doug's? That's where I'll be going as it's downtown I think.

I actually havent been to Hot Doug's. But from everything I've heard, its great. It's not really downtown, but definitely closer than Superdawg is. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Big Al's beef is amazing. The sears tower is okay, (But you have to pay) The Hancock building has the same view (10 stories smaller) and it's free.

The great thing about Chicago is the L train. It will get you just about anywhere you want to be.

We are going to have to meet up and go do some things together! (Since we are both going solo)
  • Options
    Big Al's beef is amazing. The sears tower is okay, (But you have to pay) The Hancock building has the same view (10 stories smaller) and it's free.

The great thing about Chicago is the L train. It will get you just about anywhere you want to be.

We are going to have to meet up and go do some things together! (Since we are both going solo)
    For sure, man! You said you've got family in the area, so I would imagine you know the city pretty well.. would love to go check out some spots. Pot smoker by any chance?

EV
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    Check out the sites where Batman - Dark Knight was filmed :mrgreen:
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438

Or Ferris Bueller, The Blues Brothers, Red Heat, Public Enemies, The Fugative, or a personal favorite... The Adventures of babysitting!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company, this place is so overrated. I mean it's good, but who's trying to wait hrs outside on the stairs... Not worth it. And this seems to be a young guy coming to the chi to see pj, how we gonna send him to Gibson's or Tavern? I advise you go to neighborhoods then decide on your own. I think you'd enjoy walking the streets of Wicker Park. Hit up Milwaukee and North and just wander around. A lot of cool shops, also check out Piece Pizza, it ain't deep dish but it's a great spot. If you need deep dish i recommend Gino's east in river north, good food good atmosphere. oh man i have to stop for now bc im at work, i could go on for hours telling you where to go... also pm when the date gets closer, ill try and arrange for you to see our studio.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

Or Ferris Bueller, The Blues Brothers, Red Heat, Public Enemies, The Fugative, or a personal favorite... The Adventures of babysitting!

Uncle Buck, Home Alone, Wicker Park, Waynes World, Rudy, Natural Born Killers and hundreds of others. :lol:

http://chicago.about.com/od/artsculture ... ovies1.htm
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company, this place is so overrated. I mean it's good, but who's trying to wait hrs outside on the stairs... Not worth it. And this seems to be a young guy coming to the chi to see pj, how we gonna send him to Gibson's or Tavern? I advise you go to neighborhoods then decide on your own. I think you'd enjoy walking the streets of Wicker Park. Hit up Milwaukee and North and just wander around. A lot of cool shops, also check out Piece Pizza, it ain't deep dish but it's a great spot. If you need deep dish i recommend Gino's east in river north, good food good atmosphere. oh man i have to stop for now bc im at work, i could go on for hours telling you where to go... also pm when the date gets closer, ill try and arrange for you to see our studio.
    Yeah, I think the fact that people are undecided about Pizza & Oven Grinder Company means that I'll stay away. As for just walking the streets - that sounds like as good an idea as any destination.. nothing like just seeing what a city has to offer in terms of just the way it looks!
    I'll definitely PM you, that'd be too cool.

EV
  • Options
    zolsticezolstice Posts: 60
    I can't believe noone has recommended hitting up one of the many Italian beef sandwhich joints.

As far as local signature foods go, Deep Dish pizza in Chicago is a cliche. Whenever I'm in Chicago the first thing I eat is an italian beef sandwhich with lots of hot peppers on it. Go up and down Clark street and go into the first sandwhich shop you see and you will be glad you did.
    Minneapolis : 06/30/1998 - Chicago : 10/09/2000 - Vancouver : 05/30/2003 - Fargo : 06/15/2003 - Winnipeg : 09/08/2005 - Thunder Bay : 09/09/2005 - St. Paul : 06/26/2006 - Chicago : 08/23/2009 - Chicago : 08/24/2009
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    The Sears Tower has added an all-glass platform that protrudes from the building on one of the top floors. I'm from Chicago and want to see it.

I kind of want to see that but I am not keen on heights...so I am not sure we will take that in. Probably lots of cool things to see on the GROUND :lol:

I want to replicate the Ferris Bueller parade of course :D . I am super excited to be checking out Chicago and all the yummy food they have...and PJ of course.
  • Options
    The Sears Tower has added an all-glass platform that protrudes from the building on one of the top floors. I'm from Chicago and want to see it.

I kind of want to see that but I am not keen on heights...so I am not sure we will take that in. Probably lots of cool things to see on the GROUND :lol:

I want to replicate the Ferris Bueller parade of course :D . I am super excited to be checking out Chicago and all the yummy food they have...and PJ of course.
    +1. Toronto's CN Tower has a glass floor for a small section of one of the upper floors, which freaks me out every time I'm there. I feel like I'd lose control of my bowels if I were to go on a glass protrusion on the top floor of a 105 story building.

EV
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Don't leave without trying Chicago Style pizza. You can't go wrong with: Nancy's, Gioradano's, Gino's East and Lou Malnati's.

And don't hesitiate to eat a Chicago Sytle Dog- you won't regret it!
    Giordanos.....for deep dish spinach....
    Lou Malnatis....for deep dish sausage......
    Gino's East....for atmosphere.....

I wouldnt serve Nancy's to a dog....hehehehehehe

just my humble opinion

I agree with deep dish spinach from Giordanos is good but it's better at Nancy's! IMHO

Has anyone metioned Navy Pier? It's very cliche and touristy but you can get great, outdoor pics of skyline from the Ferris Wheel.
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    benjs wrote:

+1. Toronto's CN Tower has a glass floor for a small section of one of the upper floors, which freaks me out every time I'm there. I feel like I'd lose control of my bowels if I were to go on a glass protrusion on the top floor of a 105 story building.

I know they have a glass floor here at the Calgary tower but I have never checked it out. For some reason I really want to see the one in Chicago! Of course I say that now and get me up there and it may be a different story :oops:
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,500
    edited July 2009
    rssesq wrote:

the chicago dogs are good, but you can get them just about everywhere, even the airport
    good call on the italian beef -gotta try it

but that pizza? yuck one hour for a pie?
    fugetaboutit
    might as well call it lasagna with all that sauce and stuff
    Frank Pepes or STFU
    mmm white clam pie

suggestions for chicago
    if you cant get a cubs game then try for the sox baseball in chi town is really fun
    thought grant park/millenium/pritzker pavillion was cool
    other suggestions:
    cans (literally and figuratively)
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options

Has anyone metioned Navy Pier? It's very cliche and touristy but you can get great, outdoor pics of skyline from the Ferris Wheel.

Navy Pier sucks imo.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    And I don't know what this "Sears Tower" that everyone keeps talking about is...
    Do you all mean the Big Willy?
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Go stare at your reflection in the bean in Millennium Park. :)

I believe every visitor is actually required by law to take a photograph of themselves in the bean. ;)
  • Options
    Go stare at your reflection in the bean in Millennium Park. :)

I believe every visitor is actually required by law to take a photograph of themselves in the bean. ;)

and pay a tax to do it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dreamtonicdreamtonic Posts: 127
    MEGATRON wrote:
    i think i'm goin to the giants v bears preseason game. can probably scalp pretty cheap.
    never seen soldier field

hey, so can somebody pm me about soldiers field? i'm not sure how high i can sit (read: cheaper tix) and still have a decent view...
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Hot Doug's is in my 'hood - California and Roscoe, in the Avondale neighborhood. If you like hot dogs, you'll love this place. Just be prepared to wait at least 45 minutes in line, no matter what time of day you go (I'm not joking, the line outside that place is always down the block).
    Billy Goat Tavern is a good Chicago restaurant too. There's a couple of them downtown and one at Navy Pier, I believe.
    Oh, and if you go to Navy Pier (which is pretty overpriced), they have a free stained glass museum, which is awesome.
    I'd also recommend Giordano's or Stefano's for some incredibly thick crust Chicago style pizza.
    Admission to the Lincoln Park Zoo is free, but you have to pay for parking.
    For people who have never been to the city - just walk around downtown/Grant Park/Millenium Park. It's a great view.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Get_Right wrote:
    rssesq wrote:

the chicago dogs are good, but you can get them just about everywhere, even the airport
    good call on the italian beef -gotta try it

but that pizza? yuck one hour for a pie?
    fugetaboutit
    might as well call it lasagna with all that sauce and stuff
    Frank Pepes or STFU
    mmm white clam pie

suggestions for chicago
    if you cant get a cubs game then try for the sox baseball in chi town is really fun
    thought grant park/millenium/pritzker pavillion was cool
    other suggestions:
    cans (literally and figuratively)

I LOVE Pepe's but lately Ive been loving Modern. Cant go wrong at Sally's either.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I just broke down and bought single tix to both chicago shows...i've been there twice to see PJ but i was w/ buds who had to get back home immediately (memphis!) and plus funds were tight. This time I want to experience the culture of Chicago. I noticed there are quite a few solo people looking to experience the same stuff. PM me if there's interest from others.

Thanks
    Justin smith
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I just broke down and bought single tix to both chicago shows...i've been there twice to see PJ but i was w/ buds who had to get back home immediately (memphis!) and plus funds were tight. This time I want to experience the culture of Chicago. I noticed there are quite a few solo people looking to experience the same stuff. PM me if there's interest from others.

Thanks
    Maybe you should start a thread... there do seem to be many of us going solo.

EV
  • Options
    CH57926CH57926 Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the info. Any suggestion on a good hole in the wall blues bar? Do those still exist?
  • Options
    sludawg13sludawg13 Posts: 63
    CH57926 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. Any suggestion on a good hole in the wall blues bar? Do those still exist?

Buddy Guy's Legends - It's like 2000 S. Wabash or something like that. I'm going to take a look and see who's playing on the 22nd. May hit it up after the Bears game. Don't go to the ones on Halsted!

Food suggestions:
    PORTILLO'S - Hot Dogs, Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, and the Combo (half beef, half sausage)
    GIORDANO'S - Deep dish pizza. Gino's East is overrated, especially after they moved to the old Planet Hollywood. Took some friends there and was very disappointed! :(
    THE BILLY GOAT - It's underneath Michigan Avenue. Don't go to the one on Navy Pier. The guy who takes your order yells at you (just like the SNL skits). Old school bar on the side, complete with the 70 year old bartender.
    STANLEY'S - For all the Eddie stalkers, this is the place he hung out after Lollapalooza and during his solo shows last summer. The food there is pretty good, plus it's only a few blocks from the Lincoln Park Zoo for those who are thinking about going there.

I took a water taxi for the first time the other day. It was awesome!!! It's like a very, very cheap architecture cruise on the river. I paid $3 to go from Michigan Ave. to the Sears Tower. They only run until 8pm though.