Options

Any Must-See Spots in Chicago? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    when i was a kid my family and i would drive there from detroit to visit my uncle.

every visit we always had to have a deep dish, go to ed debevic's, visit a museum, and get another pizza.

i haven't been there since i was a teenager so i dont know any bars.

cant wait.
  • Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    You HAVE to check out the Bongo Room for brunch. That place has the best food in Chicago!!!
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I'll be at the Sox game on Sat the 22nd (also my 32nd birthday) with my wife and kids. For a true music lover. Travel on over to 2120 S. Michigan Ave........Where legends were born.

Also, I can't recommend Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. I took my wife there a couple of years back and was supremely disappointed. Very average food at best. For an out of towner, Giordannos is the place to try IMO.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ledbetter9 wrote:
    I would suggest Renaldi's up in the Lincoln Park area for pizza (no, not Renalli's the chain): http://www.renaldispizzachicago.com

For entertainment on non-PJ days, I have always found the Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind show a lot of fun: http://www.neofuturists.org/

I used to love Renaldi's, but I got tired of feeling what it's like to have a heart attack after ;) Still, it's the tastiest grease I ever ate!

But to a first-time visitor, you MUST go to millenium park on a summer day... the bean, the fountains, the gardens, it's everything an urban park should be. And now they have a very cool bridge to the new addition to the modern art museum, so you could pop in there for relatively cheap. I hear it's spectacular, though I never got to see it before I moved away.

Also, consider heading out to Wicker Park (the Damen stop off the blue line). It's a nifty little neighborhood. I think the Bongo Room someone mentioned above is out there, as is a cool cafe called Earwax. They also have cool boutique shops and Reckless Records, a phenomenal record/cd shop and Myopic Books, a very cool used book store.

Broadway St up by Wrigley Field also has a Reckless location and a ton of great places to eat and a few cool bookstores. I highly recommend Crisp... it's a Korean fried chicken place and it is AMAZING.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Check out a Sox game. Im going Sat night but Id have to say Sunday Day game will probably be more fun but its going to clash with the meetup... Hot girls in short shorts and skimpy shirts.... 8-)

To quote Hawk, "Yes, Hell Yes."
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    voodoopug wrote:
    I'll be at the Sox game on Sat the 22nd (also my 32nd birthday) with my wife and kids. For a true music lover. Travel on over to 2120 S. Michigan Ave........Where legends were born.

Also, I can't recommend Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. I took my wife there a couple of years back and was supremely disappointed. Very average food at best. For an out of towner, Giordannos is the place to try IMO.
    2120 S. Michigan Ave.? What's there?
    Edit - just looked it up. Do they do tours or something? If so, I will 100% be visiting.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    http://www.kumascorner.com/html/staff.html

saw this place the other night on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"....burger joint in chicago

I might check it out when we're up there...anyone been there?

It's completely fantastic, but be prepared to wait an hour or more. Go during lunchtime if you can.

Wicker Park is great if you love strollers.

I'll second the suggestions for the Art Institute and Millennium Park. Get some Garrett's popcorn and have a little picnic.

Someone suggested the Hancock as an alternative to the Sears...great idea, but skip the $15 fee at the Hancock Observatory and go to the bar on the 95th floor. Have a $5 beer instead, and enjoy the same view.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Options

saw this place the other night on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"....burger joint in chicago

It's completely fantastic, but be prepared to wait an hour or more. Go during lunchtime if you can.

I'll second the suggestions for the Art Institute and Millennium Park. Get some Garrett's popcorn and have a little picnic.

Someone suggested the Hancock as an alternative to the Sears...great idea, but skip the $15 fee at the Hancock Observatory and go to the bar on the 95th floor. Have a $5 beer instead, and enjoy the same view.
    That's a great idea - guess I'll have to make sure I Got ID. Otherwise, I Got Shit.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007

awesome....thanks!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gibson's steakhouse for a fine meal -

I actually prefer Tavern on Rush (across the street) for steaks. In fact i already have a reservation for the Friday before the shows.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i think i'm goin to the giants v bears preseason game. can probably scalp pretty cheap.
    never seen soldier field
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    MEGATRON wrote:
    i think i'm goin to the giants v bears preseason game. can probably scalp pretty cheap.
    never seen soldier field

Yeah, you shouldnt have much trouble getting a cheap ticket for a preseason game. All the season ticket holdres are desperate to get rid of these seats. I've turned down a ton of preseason tickets the past couple years. Enjoy Soldier Field!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    nah, not really.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Bump - this list is great, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

EV
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Go stare at your reflection in the bean in Millennium Park. :)
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I was watching the Food network last night and they had a special on the best hotdog stands in the country. Superdawg in Chicago was featured and it seemed like a must stop.

http://www.superdawg.com/

any of you locals can back that up?

As for pizza, I live 10 mins from the city with the best pizza in the world, NEW HAVEN,CT.
    That deep dish stuff is fugazi. :lol:
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,856
    rssesq wrote:
    I was watching the Food network last night and they had a special on the best hotdog stands in the country. Superdawg in Chicago was featured and it seemed like a must stop.

As for pizza, I live 10 mins from the city with the best pizza in the world, NEW HAVEN,CT.
    Superdawg is great....

But it also 20 miles west of Downtown......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rssesq wrote:

Superdawg is great....

But it also 20 miles west of Downtown......
    I think I'll go with someone's suggestion of Hot Doug's over this place... seems a little more convenient.

EV
  • Options
    any hot dog joint you pass on the street.....as long as its serving Vienna Beef hot dogs...

is probably going to be a kick ass hot dog..........
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Don't leave without trying Chicago Style pizza. You can't go wrong with: Nancy's, Gioradano's, Gino's East and Lou Malnati's.

And don't hesitiate to eat a Chicago Sytle Dog- you won't regret it!
  • Options
    Don't leave without trying Chicago Style pizza. You can't go wrong with: Nancy's, Gioradano's, Gino's East and Lou Malnati's.

And don't hesitiate to eat a Chicago Sytle Dog- you won't regret it!
    Giordanos.....for deep dish spinach....
    Lou Malnatis....for deep dish sausage......
    Gino's East....for atmosphere.....

I wouldnt serve Nancy's to a dog....hehehehehehe

just my humble opinion
  • Options
    apeman77apeman77 Posts: 153

A buddy of mine was just recently in Chicago and he said the same thing about the Hancock, go enjoy a beer.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Woobynab wrote:
    I would reccomend two places:

1. The John Hancock Tower. It is the 2nd tallest tower in Chicago. It only costs $5 to go to the top. The Sear's Tower is like $25 and usually has long lines.

2. I would also reccomend the Chicago Art Museum. It is one of the most extensive collections in America, and cheap too.
    Years ago The Art Museum had the Thorne Rooms on display- little minature rooms viewed thru windows in the walls- I'm a dollhouse fan would love to see again. They were so intricate
  • Options
    keelycankeelycan Via Chicago Posts: 409
    Hot dougs-- for the best hot dogs french fries fried with duck oi on saturdays!!!!!!!!!!
    If u want a burger walk down the street to ...KUMAS CORNER!!! good bar also tons of microbrews found here THE BEST BURGERS I SWEAR!!
    South loop bars --reggies rock club and the skylark
    Soldier Field 1995~Alpine Valley June I,II 1998~ United Center 2003~Alpine Valley 2003~Madison Square Garden I,II 2003~Toledo VFC 2004~Montreal 2005~Ottowa 2005~United Center I,II 2006~Cincinnati 2006~Summerfest I,II 2006~The Vic Theatre 2007~Lollapalooza 2007~Bonnaroo 2008~United Center I,II 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2008~Austin City Limits 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2011~Alpine Valley Sep 03,04 2011~Wrigley Field 2013~Seattle 2013
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I am keeping a list.

Something I saw on the Chicago tourism website - kayaking in the Chicago River. Anyone done that before?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    5882300 wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Soldier Field- there's actually a preseason game that Saturday night.

My dream = PJ and a Bears game in Chicago - same weekend 8-)

Nice call Lukinfan! The Cubs are in LA that weekend though so a game at the Friendly Confines is out! :cry:

Extend the trip, they play on Tuesday against the Nationals, shouldn't be a tough ticket. I'll be there.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options

Something I saw on the Chicago tourism website - kayaking in the Chicago River. Anyone done that before?
    I hadn't even heard about that. I hear there's a boat tour you can do that's great though... my mom and sister went on it and had a great time.

EV
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    i believe there are some low rent apartments right by the United Center that you could talk to some very nice fellows if your looking for any upppers or downers before or after the show! its a nice area before 8pm and they filmed a Keanu Reeves movie there! it was a nice little flick about a young boys baseball team. you should love it!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    pandora wrote:
    Woobynab wrote:
    I would reccomend two places:

1. The John Hancock Tower. It is the 2nd tallest tower in Chicago. It only costs $5 to go to the top. The Sear's Tower is like $25 and usually has long lines.

2. I would also reccomend the Chicago Art Museum. It is one of the most extensive collections in America, and cheap too.
    Years ago The Art Museum had the Thorne Rooms on display- little minature rooms viewed thru windows in the walls- I'm a dollhouse fan would love to see again. They were so intricate

make sure you buy a souviner from the muesum. my gf could use some job security.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

I've seen people doing that. might be fun.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg