Options

HABIT is the worst song they have

jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
edited June 2009 in The Porch
until the end of the song when they REALLY FUCKING JAM HARD. but man, the first 2/3 of that song are painful. This is the only song I can think of where I hate some and love some of it :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    Why do people on this board think their opinion is a fact?
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options

whoa slow down buddy. I'm only stating my opinion. you are MORE then welcome to disagree. I'll be sure to check with you next time I state my opinion about a pearl jam song.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    jlew24asu wrote:

whoa slow down buddy. I'm only stating my opinion. you are MORE then welcome to disagree. I'll be sure to check with you next time I state my opinion about a pearl jam song.

i do disagree completely. probably one of the best pearl jam songs IMO
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    your topic made me laugh.
    no code is my favorite album but for awhile i never even listened to habit. then i guess one day i had shuffle on or somethin and the end of the song was on and it kicked ass.
    so then for awhile i listened to it just to hear the solo at the end. but now i love the whole song.
    i like to think hes sayin never thought you would happen..makes the song better for me :)
    plus it leads well into red mosquito 8-)
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

i do disagree completely. probably one of the best pearl jam songs IMO

good for you!! see how easy that was :roll:
  • Options
    MEGATRON wrote:
    your topic made me laugh.
    no code is my favorite album but for awhile i never even listened to habit. then i guess one day i had shuffle on or somethin and the end of the song was on and it kicked ass.
    so then for awhile i listened to it just to hear the solo at the end. but now i love the whole song.
    i like to think hes sayin never thought you would happen..makes the song better for me :)
    plus it leads well into red mosquito 8-)

thats an excellent point.
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    WRONG!!!!!!!!

That's the best song starting the b side of No Code vinyl. I remember buying it when it was released and being greatly surprised on how "in your face" this song was, especially after the end of the A side, "Off he goes". And that reference to Mike Watt's "Against the 70's" is brilliant!!!!!

Speaking as a child of the 90's! That shit was important to me at that point; I was 16 buddy! I think you should give the song another chance. Read the lyrics, hear the desperate voice... Just hear it all dude!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Zidane wrote:
    WRONG!!!!!!!!

That's the best song starting the b side of No Code vinyl. I remember buying it when it was released and being greatly surprised on how "in your face" this song was, especially after the end of the A side, "Off he goes". And that reference to Mike Watt's "Against the 70's" is brilliant!!!!!

Speaking as a child of the 90's! That shit was important to me at that point; I was 16 buddy! I think you should give the song another chance. Read the lyrics, hear the desperate voice... Just hear it all dude!

I like and very much appreciate the lyrics, but hate the song....until the amazing kickass solo.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    My favorite version is from Kitchener '05 after he mistakenly introduces Habit before they played Leatherman:

"This next song is about when you've put so many chemicals in your body that you forget what song is next....it's called Habit"
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    habit rocks!

feel the looooove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_oSMN_TNY
  • Options
    My favorite version is from Kitchener '05 after he mistakenly introduces Habit before they played Leatherman:

"This next song is about when you've put so many chemicals in your body that you forget what song is next....it's called Habit"

lol thats pretty funny. I think I remember hearing that on the boot. I may just bust out the 05's now
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    jlew24asu wrote:
    until the end of the song when they REALLY FUCKING JAM HARD. but man, the first 2/3 of that song are painful. This is the only song I can think of where I hate some and love some of it :lol:

Yeahhhhh... But I kind of think the whole song is a pretty hard jam. The end does pretty much rule though.

Either way, you have succeed in getting me to listen to Habit this morning so I thank you. :)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    habit rocks!

feel the looooove:

BOOO the jam session at the end its short and not that great.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    jlew24asu wrote:

Yeahhhhh... But I kind of think the whole song is a pretty hard jam. The end does pretty much rule though.

Either way, you have succeed in getting me to listen to Habit this morning so I thank you. :)

my pleasure. and maybe I did exaggerate a touch on the title. ;) the first reply in the thread was golden though :lol::lol:
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I may just bust out the 05's now

One of my favorite tours. Spontaneous and fun. Good times.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    jlew24asu wrote:
    habit rocks!

feel the looooove:

BOOO the jam session at the end its short and not that great.

eh, not bad for a song they play every 100 shows.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Yeah, I gotta disagree...but I love pretty much everything abotu No Code.

If we are talking the worst song by Pearl Jam, there are plenty of other places to start...mostly on some more recent albums...cough cough...Riot Act...cough cough...Binaural...cough cough...still love those labums, but some clunkers.

Now, I'm addicted to Pearl Jam so I'd rather listen to almost anything by Pearl Jam vs the best songs from others (except Muse, some Jack White stuff...and a few others), but I'm talking about PJ songs that I skip to listen to other PJ songs.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Yeah, I gotta disagree...but I love pretty much everything abotu No Code.

If we are talking the worst song by Pearl Jam, there are plenty of other places to start...mostly on some more recent albums...cough cough...Riot Act...cough cough...Binaural...cough cough...still love those labums, but some clunkers.

Now, I'm addicted to Pearl Jam so I'd rather listen to almost anything by Pearl Jam vs the best songs from others (except Muse, some Jack White stuff...and a few others), but I'm talking about PJ songs that I skip to listen to other PJ songs.

I agree. Pearl Jam's worst song (whatever it is) is still better then anyone else best song :)8-)
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    jlew24asu wrote:
    Zidane wrote:
    WRONG!!!!!!!!

I like and very much appreciate the lyrics, but hate the song....until the amazing kickass solo.

I have never been a huge Habit fan...with that being said, I agree with the OP in that the lyrics are great, but as someone else said, I don't know the last time I listened to Habit was??? I wouldn't say I hate it, just doesn't do for me what other songs do...
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    Habit kick ass, that's all I have to say 8-)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    Since you brought this song up... I have noticed something interesting in the live version. Don't you guys think that at the very end of the song Jeff's bass is like the bass from "Under Pressure" by Queen??

I think they sound very similar... maybe Jeff is paying homage to John Deacon?

P.S. I could be wrong, but I think they sound the same :P
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    [quote="jlew24asu
    .....Pearl Jam's worst song (whatever it is) is still better then anyone else best song :)8-)[/quote]

Wow, unbelievable (imo), but wow for haveing the balls to post such a ridiculous statement.
  • Options
    dislocated wrote:

Wow, unbelievable (imo), but wow for haveing the balls to post such a ridiculous statement.

LOL yea I'm so brave :roll: do you typically overreact or just now?
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    "Habit" kicks mucho ass and is FAR FROM the bands worst.
    -that wretched distinction belongs to the dreadful "Sweet Lew"-

"Habit" Is an absolute barn burner live.
    Circa 1998-2000 this song owned...especially the jam at the end.

Loved the Molson Park 98 version the best.

Speaking as a dumbass beer drinkin', propaganda believin', missle shooting American".

They need to play this more.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    "Habit" kicks mucho ass and is FAR FROM the bands worst.
    -that wretched distinction belongs to the dreadful "Sweet Lew"-

"Habit" Is an absolute barn burner live.
    Circa 1998-2000 this song owned...especially the jam at the end.

Loved the Molson Park 98 version the best.

Speaking as a dumbass beer drinkin', propaganda believin', missle shooting American".

They need to play this more.

I agree sweet lew is worse...but I dont even consider that a pearl jam song. I'm in denial I know but still. :)
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

And now, we can segue into our favorite musical break spoken sections:

"Speaking as a someone who pahked the cah at the Gahden”

PBM

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I feel the same way about I am Mine excet at no point does the song rock to me. Everyone has a song they just don't like and habit is yours and i am mine is mine.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Habit is average for me....its certainly one of the lowlights from a tremendous record.

But is it as bad as bugs? or evacuation?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Habit is average for me....its certainly one of the lowlights from a tremendous record.

ha no, probably not. although evacuation has a jam session in it right? I havnt listened to the entire song in awhile
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    jlew24asu wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

ha no, probably not. although evacuation has a jam session in it right? I havnt listened to the entire song in awhile

Jam or not I still think it sucks.

or hows about that song that goes by a red dot??