Options

possible fake posters on ebay - just a warning.

poonpoonpoonpoon Posts: 7
edited August 2008 in The Porch
watch out for these ebay listings. i think the 98's are a fake - the same as ones that were being sold in a flea market up in Canada.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZarmyfan23
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    what makes you say this?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    poonpoon wrote:
    watch out for these ebay listings. i think the 98's are a fake - the same as ones that were being sold in a flea market up in Canada.

poonpoon?

why the hell would you think that's a good idea for a username?
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    poonpoon wrote:

you have me second guessing now....i really want that Noblesville poster cause that was my first show, i've looked forever for it.

what are some signs of fake posters, just by seeing them on ebay???
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    aw435aw435 Posts: 73
    poonpoon wrote:

How do we know that you aren't just trying to keep people from bidding on them so you can get them for cheap?
  • Options
    hmm flea markets in canada? Got proof...? Inform the ten club
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    Over at ebeans in the open market forum, there is a thread on ebay bootleggers. It's 10 or so pages look through it it might have some thiny on armyfan23. Yostarama
  • Options
    any individual is free to do what they want. i just have a bad feeling about these listings. if i am wrong, i apologize to the seller. there are posts on blackredyellow and expressobeans (see below) about certain 96/98 posters.

>>>>>>>>
    by satanman on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm

if anybody here wants the flollowing posters at a really cheap price PM me. I found someone who makes coppies here and they are pretty damn good. I bought a few for myself to compair and I'm not one bit disapointed. This is what he has:

Istanbul 96
    Portugal 96
    Prague 96 (looks a little blurry but not bad)
    Rome 96 (Sutton)
    Cork (ireland) 96
    Boston 98
    Vegas 98
    Adelaide 98
    Indy 98
    virgin promo 98
    Raleigh 98

he said he's working on a few others as well. He's selling them for $40 a piece. So if anyone wants any let me know and I can place an order for you. I'm just tring to help those who can't afford these high priced posters.

here's an example: my original vs fake you tell me which is real
  • Options
    aw435 wrote:
    How do we know that you aren't just trying to keep people from bidding on them so you can get them for cheap?

the 98 posters will go for a high price. i surely will not be bidding on them if i think they are fake. as i said, just a warning for everyone. bud/buy if you want.
  • Options
    ive heard of a few 1998 fakes before, documented cases were hartford and another one.....so shitty that its come to this.

okay check it out....this is the raleigh

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1652

and here is the ebay one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-1998-Raleigh-Poster_W0QQitemZ180281951427QQihZ008QQcategoryZ104990QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

open both those up and look at the legit one. the flower on the top hat. you can see a yellow dot in the middle with black surrounding and the petals go into the background a little bit. no switch to the ebay one, no yellow dot in middle and looks like it overlaps more.

if anybody wants these and is gonna pay big bucks, just get A LOT of pics sent to you detailing everything and be careful. i bought a van 98 and would be devistated if it turned out fake, but it was bought before all these scares.

anyways, good luck
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    bump
    Hold On
  • Options
    sokursokur Posts: 40
    There is one statement that leads to a fake in the auction for the Raleigh. "Printed on Thinner Stock".

Proceed with caution.
  • Options
    I'd like to know for sure what the deal is with these, too, since I may bid on one.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    sokur wrote:
    There is one statement that leads to a fake in the auction for the Raleigh. "Printed on Thinner Stock".

Proceed with caution.

Hmm, I have a Raleigh 1998 and from what I remember, it wasn't on thin stock. I have it framed now, so I can't know for sure right now.
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    i'd like to see what a fake virgin promo looks like
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    my raleigh is not on thin stock,

that would be like this years Boston right and the zebra from 1995??

No the 98 Raleigh is the same sort as the maui
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    _outlaw wrote:
    poonpoon?

its commanche indian
    ;)
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    raleigh is not on thin stock, and has a reflective, sparkly quality to the light blue. sort of like the blue on the new klausen vedder batman....

and good eye on the flower thing.

make sure you caveat your emptor, people

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    may or may not be important, but since the authenticity is being questioned with this seller's posters - look at Noblesville. he lists "real deal." its just words, but he didn't choose to describe the other two posters as such. instead, on raleigh (as sokur picked up), he lists "printed on thinner stock than usual." so this fool knows he's selling fakes.
  • Options
    I actually wrote Armyfan23 about his posters and here's what he wrote back:

"jeez, i didn't know i sparked that sort of interest. I can only say what i know. the raleigh poster is definitely on thinner stock than that of the other 2 i am selling. i purchased all on ebay, for far more than they are going for now, I certainly hope i didn't get rooked. I own over 30 posters, and this is the thinnest stock if that helps. I will take any pix that will help you assess better. thanks and i hope i helped a little at least."
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    I actually wrote Armyfan23 about his posters and here's what he wrote back:

"jeez, i didn't know i sparked that sort of interest. I can only say what i know. the raleigh poster is definitely on thinner stock than that of the other 2 i am selling. i purchased all on ebay, for far more than they are going for now, I certainly hope i didn't get rooked. I own over 30 posters, and this is the thinnest stock if that helps. I will take any pix that will help you assess better. thanks and i hope i helped a little at least."

hhehehe, us assess.....i like this guy already
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    _outlaw wrote:
    poonpoon?

I think PoonPoon is a great username!

Sincerely,

TipJammer
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    Just shot him a message asking if the posters were real. Here's his response:

"ive been getting hammered all day apparantly. To give myself the benefit of the doubt, by what i paid for em; the indy and knoxville ones definitely are. raleigh one is under suspision. i can send you any pix as i have been for the past 2 hours."

This thread is really killing him.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    A fella was selling unlicensed Radiohead calendars outside of their show on Sunday.....when I asked him if they were licensed, he sort of froze...perhaps he thought I was a Fed.
  • Options
    He just sent me high res photos of the Raleigh and Noblesville posters. The Raleigh is definitely a fake. That little flower/sun near the top hat is supposed to have a yellow circle in the middle. On his, it's all orange.

He seems like a decent guy, and I tend to think he wasn't aware that this one was fake.
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Get_Right wrote:
    its commanche indian
    ;)

Then what is Swarthow? Or should I ask the Mr. Underhill?
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    I can't believe people are shocked by the fakes. I am sure it is very wide spread. Think about it, very low cost to reproduce, and very, very high return.

They have done it in the sports memorabilia business for years.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,519
    He just sent me high res photos of the Raleigh and Noblesville posters. The Raleigh is definitely a fake. That little flower/sun near the top hat is supposed to have a yellow circle in the middle. On his, it's all orange.

He seems like a decent guy, and I tend to think he wasn't aware that this one was fake.

i'm certain of my '98 Raleigh's authenticity, but when i read your post above i completely went blank and couldn't recall ever looking for that additional yellow paint so i had to take a look at my poster,...sure enough, the yellow dot appears there, so thanks for the mild shock ;):)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,519
    poonpoon wrote:

the eBay seller in question, who has been discussed/documented at length over on BRY (as poonpoon mentioned), uses/used the eBay username "pjammer2005". his name is Chris and he's located in Mississauga, ON (just outside Toronto). his feedback appears here:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=pjammer2005&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:ME:UFS

quite simply, he began taking all the authentic PJ posters in his collection and scanning them, after which he had the image printed on a piece of cardboard. Ames were made aware of his counterfeit posters and i believe he was served with a Cease & Desist order from Ames' lawyers. not to mention, as word spread about what he was doing he was having a harder time unloading said fake posters, regardless of the fact he was actually admitting they were fakes and selling them for $30 a pop. what's truly interesting is he purchased an authentic '98 Raleigh in July/'08, so who knows if he's still producing these fakes and flipping them on the DL. MANY of his fakes are in circulation, and while it's quite difficult to distinguish between an image field in a genuine silk-screen and a counterfeit poster unless the poster is in front of you, the tell-tale signs are the wrong dimensions of the fake print on the cardboard, in the case of this "pjammer2005" character anyway,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    the monkey on the bike is not real you can tell by the positioning of the bike tire on the border it is not the same as the EB pic

fucking pricks
  • Options
    wow thats quite the background chek!

i was eyeing these posters too...to bad some people are going to pay big bucks for fake posters....

hope everyone in 10c reads this thread before bidding on those 98's
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...