Thank you Eddie and Elwayvedder!

nothingman203nothingman203 Posts: 325
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Here goes a tangent..I apologize in advance for the long post ;)

Unfortunately I was not able to be there tonight, which in itself was a bummer.

As some of you know, I was in the Navy and was deployed to Afghanistan. I was fortunate enough to join this community and also blessed to find so many people who supported me through my journey and was fortunate enough to receive a "holy grail" from many of you gracious people.

I had flown a flag on September 11th, 2011 in Eddies honor (certificate and all), and wrote a letter to Ed. At first, this was sort of therapeutic, just to keep my mind off of the craziness surrounding me at the time. Never did I truly think he would see this, I still kept hope as did Dave (Elwayvedder). After nearly two years of trying to get this flag and letter to Ed, Dave used his magic and was able to get it into the hands of someone who promised to deliver. Those of you there this evening might know what I am referring to. I, as stated, unfortunately could not be there this evening, but from what Dave had told me, Ed did in fact receive the flag and letter and mentioned me on stage, and even dedicated World Wide Suicide to me.

I cannot express the emotion I felt when I read that text from Dave saying that our mission was accomplished. Not only did we finally see a show together (Philly Night 1), but we were FINALLY able to get the flag and letter into Eds hands after numerous failed attempts.

I just want to say thank you to Dave for keeping the hope alive for me, and to Ed for his words and music, which had not been for them, I can honestly say I do not know if I would be here today writing this.

To the 10 Club members I have talked to: THANK YOU for your support while I was deployed, and continued support as I have transitioned back into a semblance of normalcy. I wish I could have been there tonight to hear Ed say my name and know he got my letter, but the fact that he read it and saw how much he inspired me, and I am sure thousands of others, is more than enough. THank you again to everyone who has helped me transition back, and especially to Dave, who never gave up the dream of passing this gift along to Ed, and all he has done and continues to do for our military and veterans. Much love.

P.J.
"I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dude seeing you rock out tonight made me smile.

Glad you had a great time.

Thank you for your service.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,028
    Pretty damn awesome story. You guys must be on the biggest high right now....why the rest of us search for these friggin sheep, stickers and pray our vinyl is green with yellow spots in a pressing of 1...hahaha :D
  • Yeah man it was definitely great to know that he got it. That hit rocking out last night and who got the wine bottle was actually not me. I think Ed got confused, I unfortunately had to drive back down to Virginia for school, so I missed this whole spiel in person lol.

Also if anyone may have video I'd appreciate it very much.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,108
    PJ,
    It is you we should be thanking... We are only free because of the brave. Freedom is taking for granted every day sadly but it's the most important thing we are provided daily.

There are many others involved to make your dream come true. They will remain unnamed but they know who they are and they will always have a special place in my heart for their help and love.

Enjoy the moment. You truly earned it. Now we await the bootleg so you can hear EV talk about you and keep it forever to enjoy and share.

-EV
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    cool dude. Awesome! You deserve it.

Nice work, Elway, as usual
  • PJCubsPJCubs Posts: 291
    What a night!

It was a blast hanging out with you last night Dave and just being around when you made this happen.

Amazing.
    Soldier Field - 7.11.95
    Chicago - 5.16.06
    Chicago - 8.24.09
    Eddie Vedder @ Chicago Theatre - 6.28.11
    PJ20 - 9.3.11
    Wrigley Field - 7.19 / Pittsburgh - 10.10 / Buffalo - 10.11
    Philadelphia 2 - 10.22 / Portland - 11.29 / Spokane - 11.30
    Amsterdam - 6.16 & 6.17 / Milan - 6.20
  • found a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSX5iVaTTU

again, not me in uniform lol
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,108
    EV mistaking our other Hero for you is a win-win. Two true Heroes had their dreams come true. Welcome home to the "other P.J." who Ed blessed with his wine bottle and of course welcome home to our P.J. Nothingman203!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    That's awesome PJ! Too bad you couldn't be there, but what an amazing shout out! I read it in the fanviews on GTF and was so happy for you.

Thank you for your service, and so proud of our band for recognizing a great fan.

Oh, and Elwayvedder rocks!
  • EV mistaking our other Hero for you is a win-win. Two true Heroes had their dreams come true. Welcome home to the "other P.J." who Ed blessed with his wine bottle and of course welcome home to our P.J. Nothingman203!

Indeed it was. Just so happy he got it finally!
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Nicely done!

:clap::clap:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • PJ,
    Cool hanging out with you on Monday night at the pre-party on Monday night. So glad that Eddie mentioned you and the other veteran that was at the show. Must be a HUGE rush to your system to get all that positive energy to you from the band and all the fans at the show. And as always, WAY TO GO ELWAYVEDDER for bringing PJ to the show and working your MAGIC!

Pierre Robert on WMMR just mentioned that he will replay your story as part of his show. If you want to listen in, here is a link.

http://www.wmmr.com/listen-live/

Thanks again for your service, take care of yourself!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    Hey Petrit,

when Dave told me last night this had pulled through at last I was so happy for you....literally beaming. Congrats.
  • Very cool story man! Also, Elway Vedder is the man. I know personally he does a ton of good for the troops and the PJ community as a whole. Nice work to both of you!
  • This is great to hear. Very cool.

Dave, once again you really have no idea the impact you have on so many people. Keep doing what you do. Thank you.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Cheers to you both, and THANK YOU.

(from someone who tries not to, but catches herself taking more than she should for granted)
  • Thank you everyone, its been a really cool day. From the setlist, the show sounds pretty amazing, and the fact that I can get that boot eventually and he my story is something I can cherish for a very long time. And thanks Paul, it has been a journey lol
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    I was just listening to the show and heard Ed's speech.
    I knew immediately who he was talking about. :mrgreen:
    How cool is that man?!? Stoked you were able to get him the flag.
    It was great finally meeting you in Brooklyn man. Always nice to put a face to a name.
    Shoot me your info bro. When the official boot gets released, it's on me. ;)
    Great work as always Dave. 8-)
    MLMF Det
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Great stuff. Elway is a great person even though I wouldnt know who the hell he was in a small crowd. :D
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • I was just listening to the show and heard Ed's speech.
    I knew immediately who he was talking about. :mrgreen:
    How cool is that man?!? Stoked you were able to get him the flag.
    It was great finally meeting you in Brooklyn man. Always nice to put a face to a name.
    Shoot me your info bro. When the official boot gets released, it's on me. ;)
    Great work as always Dave. 8-)

It was great meeting you too man, had a great time! And thank you very much, that's really generous of you. I hope to see you guys again down the road and we will definitely party some more.
  • Congrats PJ on completing your mission. :D Too bad u werent there. Will the real PJ please stand up :nono: .lol Something u can remember for ever bro. It was a pleasure meeting you in Bk & being able to introduce u to the CHIEF. looking forward to crossing paths again. Oh yeah and damn good job Dave, it dont get much better than that. :nono:
  • Thanks Scott, I had a great time with you in BK. You guys were awesome, cant wait till we can do it again. :D