Options

*BUGS AMONGST THE WAVES* Help us to help each other!

GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
edited February 2013 in The Porch
Introducing.....
BUGS AMONGST THE WAVES!

You may be asking, “What the heck is that?”

Bugs Amongst the Waves (BATW) is a group of your fellow 10c members who have banded together after the idea was proposed by Don (dwhite76) that together, PJ fans CAN make a difference in the lives of those around us. This is a result of what has evolved from the original thread, “HELP A 10C STRANGER CHALLENGE”.

There are so many great people in 10c, and we all seem to have so much love to share! Help us to help others!! [/color]

Who we are
The current “board” members, in no particular order, are:

ahill721 (Adam)
MFC2006 (Matt)
dwhite76 (Don) (CEO :D )
GivenToLukinKP (Kelly) (Treasurer)
Loulou (Lorna)
StillHere (Jo)

~*~*~*~*~CURRENT PROJECTS~*~*~*~*

BATW Holiday Help Drive!
Head on over the AET to see what BATW is doing to help a few fellow ten clubbers this holiday season! http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=175986

The "Can't Keep/Save You Garage Sale" is being organized over at this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=156055 Put some stuff up for sale; make a few bucks, spend a few bucks :D

What we hope to accomplish
Plain and simple- we want to be there to help other 10c members who are in need of a little boost. A little help goes a long way. You have no idea how much something like a gift card to buy food for your family or to put gas in your car really means until you are in a situation where that is an extreme struggle. We are setting up a variety of ways to raise funds in order to give a hand to those around us. Our plan is to offer not only financial support, but also to assist with locating local assistance programs that offer services that the individual deems useful for thier situations. Some examples of these services: transportation, help running errands, financial assistance to reduce utility bills, local food banks, job placement programs, support groups, patient advocates to help negotiate reduced medical bills, sliding scale mental health services and whatever else the recipient can use help with. We are somewhat rookies, but we are absolutely PASSIONATE about doing whatever we possibly can to help! This is the plan right now, but there is no telling how much we can accomplish once this gets going!

How you can help

1- Cash gifts are very much needed and appreciated. You can send all monetary gifts via paypal. Please PM Kelly (GivenToLukinKP) for details on how to do this. Please mark it as a "gift" so we can avoid fees. Please include your forum user name and e-mail address (if its not the one linked to your paypal account) and also note that it’s a cash gift (so there is no confusion over whether monies received are for garage sale goods-see next item). ANY gifts in the form of cash are welcome- even a few bucks will help!

2- The "Can't Keep/Save You Garage Sale" is being organized over at this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=156055. We just need people willing to pledge proceeds from the sale of their goods. All the details can be found on that thread. If you have questions on this, PM Kelly (GivenToLukinKP).

3- We need people to volunteer to be possible “runners”. This means once we find out where a recipient lives, we need someone in their region to go to purchase the gift cards (since we don’t all have the same stores available in our areas as where the recipient lives). We would paypal you the money, and then you could go and make the purchase with it. If you are interested in being put on a list to do this job, please PM Don (dwhite76) with subject “RUNNER VOLUNTEER”. Include your name, email address and the town you live in so we can keep track of people who are available should the need arise.

4- We need people to give to!! Please, don’t be shy! We know how hard it is to ask for help. If you know of a fellow 10c member who is in a tough spot and could use a little help, let us know! You can choose to remain as an anonymous “tipster” if you want. If you have their address already, that is a bonus. If you don’t, not to worry- we can get it somehow. All nominations should be sent via PM to Don (dwhite76). Please include as much information as you can.

5- We need IDEAS! If anyone has any ideas on ways to raise funds or any type of operational suggestions, please PM any of the board members listed above, and we will make sure everyone gets the info.

6- Support! Bumps! Spread the word! LOVE!

Thank you all for your donations, support and BUMPS!! We are all so very excited to get this going and help each other. We sincerely hope you want to jump on this train with us :D

Much appreciation,
Don, Adam, Matt, Kelly, Lorna & Jo

FIND US ON FACEBOOK! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bugs-Amon ... 57?sk=wall
Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Past projects:
    Life changing diagnosis
    We are putting together a support package for a fellow 10 clubber's 4 year old daughter. Her name is Ava and you can read about it here: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=160484.
    She has been recently diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. Not life threatening at the moment but it will cause her and her family some serious adjustments, lifestyle changes, along with some heartache at least in the beginning. If you would like to help cheer up this beautiful 4 year old girl we are accepting best wishes cards, toys,Toys R us gift cards, puzzles, books stuffed animals and any thing else that would cheer up a 4 year old girl. She is very intelligent for her age so yes she reads those kiddy books :D Her dad says she LOVES to get mail and is always asking why he gets mail all the time and there is none for her :)
    This is a matter close to the heart of Don (dwhite76) as he himself was a father who's 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with the same illness. His daughter is now 14, but like Ava, this is unfortunately a lifelong battle for her until a cure is found.
    If you are interested in helping out contact Don (dwhite76) or Kelly (GivenToLukinKP) and we will give you the address to the person collecting for Ava who will send things out to her.
    We asked her dad what she likes- and this is her reply: "Ava loves to draw, she also loves Tangled, Rupenzel is her favorite. She loves butterflies, Princess's. She loves pretty much anything. I read her 5 books every night before we go to bed." :)

The raffle is over and the winners have been announced! Check the thread here to see who won! http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=159994[/b]

As we all unfortunately know, Cancer is a bitch. I am still collecting cards/notes/gifts for our buddy Rob (imalive) (See his thread here: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=157216. Its an inspiring read if you haven't been following it yet) Rob is undergoing radiation and chemotherapy for colon cancer--he is an amazing guy with a great attitude and outlook. Let's support him while he kicks the shit outta cancer! I plan to forward cards/whatever else you want to send him every couple weeks or so...a few things have gone out so far, but if you wish to be invovled and havent heard from me yet, just PM me (GivenToLukinKP) and I will get you my address. Sorry I dont have a list of all that have been contacted, but looking at my sent items I think I have contacted close to 200 of you already. Please put your forum name and email address with the card as I am keeping track to keep everyone posted. It just takes a stamp!! If you would rather PM me a message to be put into a card for you, i can do that too. Just let me know!!)[/color]
    ***we are still collecting cards for Rob, and there are PLENTY of "Save the Pooper" bracelets still available. PM Kelly (GivenToLukinKP) if you would like one.***

Our first recipient, Mike ---See the thread here: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156508
    Post edited by GivenToLukinKP on
    Makes much more sense...

2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    what a beautiful thing to do - really really amazed at how generous you all are

i would love to help out and will see what i can do

it's a great thing that you guys are doing, seriously - it's so kind and caring :clap:
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I don't have the cash to donate, but I'd love to volunteer as a runner. Consider Seattle covered :D
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    :D8-) :idea: :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Great Job Kelly. :D

Now people start looking around for some items you may want to pledge to the garage sale. Its never to earlier to make a list and what you want for the item. The sale will be up before you know it over in Lost Dogs. :D:D

Lets go and make this thing a success. :clap::clap::clap:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    great idea :clap:
    I'll try to help you with donation this week
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    So happy to be a part of this :D
  • Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    Nice work guys. The CEO kept me posted about this over at EB. I'll see what I can scrounge up for the garage sale.

:clap:
  • Options
    ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    i have some stuff for the garage sale - could you post exactly how this is going to work? thx
  • Options
    Garage sale post is up and the link has been added above :D

Thanks everyone for the quick interest-- can't believe PMs are coming in already! :)

You guys are awesome!
    :thumbup: :clap:
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    :thumbup:
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Such an awesome idea.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    I don't have the cash to donate, but I'd love to volunteer as a runner. Consider Seattle covered :D

Thanks! Can you PM that info to Don (dwhite76)? I am pretty sure he is keeping track of the runner list, and i am afraid your post might get lost here.

thanks ! :)
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103
    Hats off to the "board"! Donation sent.
  • Options
    Lukin66 I have you on the list :D Sent you a PM needing a little more info. Thanks

This goes out to every one. Do Not Let this Thread get under Pics Where Eddie Looks Hot. I know he's a good looking guy but I think even he would say to bump us above his looks :lol::lol::lol:

Enjoy :D
  • Options
    P23J wrote:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    Your AWESOME. I think you may be our first non board member to give a donation. I'll have to ask KP.
    Thanks so much P23J. Way to get the BUGS CRAWLING :D
  • Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103
    dwhite76 wrote:
    P23J wrote:

Your AWESOME. I think you may be our first non board member to give a donation. I'll have to ask KP.

Thanks but all I did was click a few buttons. Donating is easy. You guys deserve the praise. Great job!
  • Options
    P23J wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:
    P23J wrote:

Thanks but all I did was click a few buttons. Donating is easy. You guys deserve the praise. Great job!

Yup-- you are the first Steve! Congrats! :D
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    This goes out to every one. Do Not Let this Thread get under Pics Where Eddie Looks Hot. I know he's a good looking guy but I think even he would say to bump us above his looks :lol::lol::lol:

Enjoy :D

:lol:
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    woot. :D :!:
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    edited May 2011
    HOORAY!!!!! So great to see this up here!!!! Nice work to Steve being our first donator!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    Post edited by Loulou on
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Nice work Kelly!

Bump it Up! :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    eddiefan1992eddiefan1992 Posts: 231
    Glad you guys got this up and running. Love this idea! Donation sent.
  • Options
    I'm in as a runner
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    goitalonegoitalone Posts: 43
    I'm in to help however I can. Got the Philly region handled!
    If I knew where it was I would take you there, there's much more than this!
  • Options
    Keepin this on the front page BUMP!!

Thanks to everyone who has already started to donate their time, money and garage sale items! You guys are awesome!

I should have some stuff listed on the garage sale tonight or tomorrow morning. Please PM me your contributions :)

THANKS!!!
    Kelly
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    BUMP and a li'l donation! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    BUMP and a li'l donation! :D
    :clap: :thumbup:
    Makes much more sense...