Options

Minnesota lawmaker urged to step aside-oral w minor boy

usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
edited August 2012 in A Moving Train
Oh my.

POLITICS HEADLINES
Minnesota lawmaker urged to step aside after rest-stop liaison with 17-year-old boy
Aug 21, 2012 7:39 AM EDT
A Minnesota state lawmaker who authorities say admitted having a liaison with a 17-year-old boy at a rest stop faced calls from party leaders on Monday to give up his re-election bid. 

Rep. Kerry Gauthier, 56, hasn't been charged in the July incident, and authorities said he wouldn't be because the boy was older than 16, the legal age of consent, and no money was exchanged. Police say the teenager responded to the lawmaker's Craigslist ad for "no strings attached" sex. 

Gauthier admitted to the liaison, according to police reports made public late last week. The teen told police the two had oral sex, according to the reports. 

The scandal has hurt Democrats' hopes of retaking at least one chamber of the Legislature. They need to pick up at least six seats in the House, and Gauthier's Duluth-area seat is usually reliably Democratic. But if he drops out, any Democrat seeking to replace him would have to run as a write-in candidate, making the race much more difficult to win. 

Still, Democratic leaders called on Gauthier to withdraw from the race. House Minority Leader Paul Thissen, D-Minneapolis, said he was "deeply disappointed" in Gauthier's conduct and wants him to step aside. 

"As I shared with Rep. Gauthier, I believe he should withdraw from the race for re-election," Thissen said in a statement released by his office. 

Less than an hour later, state Democratic Party Chairman Ken Martin echoed Thissen's comments, although neither man asked Gauthier to leave office before his term ends in January. 

Gauthier hasn't commented to reporters on the incident. A call to his cellphone rolled to voicemail on Monday. Thissen's statement said he expects Gauthier to "address these issues publicly and soon." 

Gauthier was hospitalized for an undisclosed condition until last weekend, which prompted Thissen to wait to issue his statement. House Speaker Kurt Zellers, a Republican, on Friday urged Gauthier to resign. 

Gauthier was elected in 2010 with 73 percent of the vote. He is not married. 

Duluth City Councilor Jay Fosle has already filed paperwork to run as a write-in candidate against Gauthier and Republican nominee Travis Silver.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    :lol::lol::lol: what an idiot....freak ! :shock:

Godfather.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    What is it with these rest areas?
    Post edited by usamamasan1 on
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    What is it with these rest areas and gay sex anyway?

I've never met a couple yet, straight or "alternative lifestyle" that when I ask where they met they say a "rest stop". :lol:
  • Options
    I just did a google search for gay sex rest stops. There Were too many results to begin commenting. Wow.Anyway, the democrat is not married and broke no laws. Should he step down? Why are his colleagues asking him to if it's legal?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    You know how you get these types of things to stop?

Stop making people feel like they are weird or a monster for being gay.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    56 and 17 in a rest stop

That's weird in itself ya'll
  • Options
    I say ban the rest stops. I mean it's ovbious if we didn't have rest stops we wouldn't have these issues. :lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674

Well said! That and encourage people to keep "bedroom activity" of any sort in the bedroom. I'm not a prude but somehow walking in on other people's sex just isn't my thing. Like the one time at Hamburger Mary's... oh man :oops: .
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,370
    brianlux wrote:

Well said! That and encourage people to keep "bedroom activity" of any sort in the bedroom. I'm not a prude but somehow walking in on other people's sex just isn't my thing. Like the one time at Hamburger Mary's... oh man :oops: .

Why did he have to meet at a rest stop if he's not married? :?

I don't see why he has to step down; let the voters decide. Yeah he's a weirdo, but he can do what he wants in his private life as long as it's legal, right?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Why does this make him a weirdo, and yet a straight 56 year-old man getting it on with a willing young woman is considered "a stud?"

While I personally find random hookups at rest stops to be kinda seedy, if there were a lot of young women looking for hookups at rest stops, straight men would take daily road trips.

(and usamamasan... Why are you searching google for "gay sex rest stops?")
  • Options
    Wonder if it's legal to have sexual relations at a public rest area in Minnesota?

This dude, another lawmaker, got pinched for lewd conduct. Lawmakers at public poopers in minnesota lookIng for sex. Weird

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Why does this make him a weirdo, and yet a straight 56 year-old man getting it on with a willing young woman is considered "a stud?"

While I personally find random hookups at rest stops to be kinda seedy, if there were a lot of young women looking for hookups at rest stops, straight men would take daily road trips.

Good question, both. Will be interesting to see what the answers are- if any.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

That's still pretty weird too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    actually this doesn't bother me ... assuming this guy isn't married and wasn't railing against gay rights ... also, under the assumption the boy was above the legal age of consent and their behaviour was consensual ...
  • Options
    And didn't all you guys wanna go for the MILF when you were 17?
  • Options

Fine, I'm sorry I called him a weirdo. I said I didn't think he did anything wrong.

• Options

Fine, I'm sorry I called him a weirdo. I said I didn't think he did anything wrong.

Oh I'm not ragging on you. Just maybe reminding some people who are a bit too high on their horse that... If things were reversed they wouldnt be going to google to look for... I'm not sure.

And to be fair, hooking up in public rest rooms...ick.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    actually this doesn't bother me ... assuming this guy isn't married and wasn't railing against gay rights ... also, under the assumption the boy was above the legal age of consent and their behaviour was consensual ...

the "legal age of consent" ? I'm not going along with that,if you have or know a 16 or 17 year old child would it be o.k that this pedifile had sex with him...and at a rest stop ?...call me onry and old and set in my ways but this to me is very disturbing, if this guy is going to pick up young boys on the internet for sex how young will he be wanting them the more he does this ? how can he be trusted in government office ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086

Actually, I do believe he is a weirdo. Anyone posting a craiglist ad to meet someone at a rest stop for any kind of sex is a weirdo.

I just wonder if he thought this was the only way for him, or if he is truly just a weirdo that likes random sex at rest stops.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

because the guy is 56 years old banging a 17 year YOUNG child dosen't that strike you as kind of odd ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    because the guy is 56 years old banging a 17 year YOUNG child dosen't that strike you as kind of odd ?

Godfather.

Well are it does. Not as much as usamamasan searching google for "gay sex rest stops." :?
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    the "legal age of consent" ? I'm not going along with that,if you have or know a 16 or 17 year old child would it be o.k that this pedifile had sex with him...and at a rest stop ?...call me onry and old and set in my ways but this to me is very disturbing, if this guy is going to pick up young boys on the internet for sex how young will he be wanting them the more he does this ? how can he be trusted in government office ?

Godfather.

Ok, being attracted to 17 year-olds doesn't make one a pedophile, that's an attraction to pre-pubescent children.

And a 17 year-old is not a young boy.

Let's please try to at least talk about what he DID without totally losing our collective shit.
  • Options

Really? :lol: Based on your post histroy and obvious bias' and agendas...which is fine, I would imagine if this were a 56 year old Republican having sex with a 17 year old girl at a rest stop your thoughts would be different. You may have actually been the first to post the story. :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    Searching confirmed my inclination that this is a common occurance in the sexual deviant community, rest stop gay sex encounters. It would be of concern to me to be on a family road trip and have my toddler say he has to go pee, we pull over at a public rest stop to find an old man having sex with a young man.
    They should keep that in the bedroom. Poor decision making on the lawmakers part.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Really? :lol: Based on your post histroy and obvious bias' and agendas...which is fine, I would imagine if this were a 56 year old Republican having sex with a 17 year old girl at a rest stop your thoughts would be different. You may have actually been the first to post the story. :fp: :lol:

Treyvon Martin, a 17 year old shot dead during a confrontation recently in Florida.....I think most people in this forum commented on how HE was a young boy.....
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

uhhh ... i'm pretty sure quite a few 17 year olds are having sex ... if anything this shows how marginalized the gay community is ... that someone like him feels like he has to meet people in rest stops to have sex ...
  • Options
    blame it on society eh? Not the individual who made the choice to have sex in a public place from a craiglist ad.
  • Options
    blame it on society eh? Not the individual who made the choice to have sex in a public place from a craiglist ad.

did he break the law?
  • Options
    i think it's illegal to have sex at a public rest area isn't it?
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Ok, being attracted to 17 year-olds doesn't make one a pedophile, that's an attraction to pre-pubescent children.

Let's please try to at least talk about what he DID without totally losing our collective shit.

yes he is, it's tuff..sex crimes especially aginst children make me lose my collective shit in a hurry
    but I see your point,getting all angry on a forum is not the answer.

Godfather.