Options

Tour VS New Album

CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
edited July 2018 in The Porch
Its been 27+ years of chasing Pearl Jam shows.  Collected bootlegs, posters, ticket stubs and many travel experiences - loved every minute of it.  
I love that they have captured the attention of the music world as a top shelf touring band and that they still do what they can to keep set-lists and shows fresh for the faithful touring fan.  

The business side of PJ is in the touring money.  Digital piracy and streaming music took the financial incentive out of making records.   They can tour on the catalog and thus the 5 year delay between new records.  Makes sense.

But I'd have traded the 2018 tour for a new album in a heart beat.   Stay home, finish the work and then tour.   I dread the idea of them becoming that classic rock act that just tours and tours

I miss the new stuff

Cahoots

1992 VAN
1993 VAN
1998 Missoula
2000 Barcelona & Boise
2002 SEA 2x
2003 VAN
2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
2006 The Gorge
2009 SEA & VAN
2011 VAN
2013 Portland & VAN
2015 Mexico City
2018 Missoula
Post edited by Cahoots on

Comments

• Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Tour

i’m happy with their catalog being the soundtrack of my life
    now a new album is just a consolation prize
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 218
    Last album I thoroughly enjoyed was Riot Act so I say tour. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    A new album if its good
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    edited July 2018
    Cahoots said:
    I miss the new stuff
    Can't wait for new album. 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    I need new music badly.   And I need it from this band.  And I need it to be inspiring.  Other bands aren't doing it for me.  I'm good with this tour....but I am really wanting that new album soon.  Taking my kid to one of the Home Shows, so I'm good with a "catalog" show, as she knows the old stuff.   But I'm looking forward to hearing 6-8 new songs at an album tour at some point soonish. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    New music x 1,000. Keep the creativity going. 
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Being in Australia...and we haven't had a tour in over 4.5 years....I really want need a new album so we get a tour!!! 
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'd like to think they have another classic album in them.  It's just hard because as they've grown older and had families, this isn't their priority.  I'm not saying they don't have passion for playing, because they give everything when they're up there, but even their tours are relatively short and sporadic.  If it's this or them splitting up, then I'll happily take this, but it would be good to get something really compelling from them.  
    I find it hard to get perspective, from the point of view that so many bands seemed to release classic records back in the 90's, I find myself asking why can't they just do that again, but I guess it's just a matter of the stars aligning. 
  • Options
    cwjacwja Posts: 132
    Tour. Plenty of new music to be found out there, can’t say the same about quality 2.5+ hour live shows.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    If they were still making good albums I'd totally agree with the OP, but they're not so I don't. Like the above said, there is tons of actual great music being made still, just not by PJ. I'll listen to those artists' new albums and still enjoy the PJ shows filled with pre-2009 music and hopefully more fun new covers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    If it were any other year or a more normal-sized tour (bigger) I'd say tour.

But this year I'd have to agree I'd rather get a new album and a tour next year.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    edited July 2018
    New album 

i catch shows when when I can. 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,541
    Tour for sure. 'Can't Deny Me' does not bode well for a new album.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Tour
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Tour
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    A new album would mean more touring anyway.. So I'd say a new album..! 
    Only 2 releases since 2006 is kind of crazy

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    But if it was one last album or one last tour, I'd of course want a tour

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    Mirrorball #2
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784

Cahoots said:
    Its been 27+ years of chasing Pearl Jam shows.  Collected bootlegs, posters, ticket stubs and many travel experiences - loved every minute of it.  
    I love that they have captured the attention of the music world as a top shelf touring band and that they still do what they can to keep set-lists and shows fresh for the faithful touring fan.  

The business side of PJ is in the touring money.  Digital piracy and streaming music took the financial incentive out of making records.   They can tour on the catalog and thus the 5 year delay between new records.  Makes sense.

But I'd have traded the 2018 tour for a new album in a heart beat.   Stay home, finish the work and then tour.   I dread the idea of them becoming that classic rock act that just tours and tours

I miss the new stuff

Greatest thread on the board.  Bravo.  1000% agree.  I just want new music.  Love Can't Deny Me.  Bring on more.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    TOUR. Music for me is about the live experience.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    They have so many songs that they don't play live ....I'm good with a tour and expanding the live playlist
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    The lack of desire for new music from the band is simply baffling.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Deadman said:
    The lack of desire for new music from the band is simply baffling.
    I would love new music....but the old days are over, they have a completely different way of putting albums together now.  It seems like a chore to them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I have complete faith this band can and will put out an amazing album.

Post edited by Deadman on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    The tour just gone was so damn good, i can wait for a new record a little longer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Cahoots said:

I miss the new stuff

Don't think we're ever going to have to worry about this band just constantly touring and touring.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Tour.  But hit more of the non-usual places.   
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Tour. No question
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,164
    New Music

i see them pretty much every year, at least 2 shows. From 2003-2013 (2003,2006,2008,2009,2010,2013) I’d see 12-15 a tour... after lightning bolt tour the feeling faded a little

nothing they did wrong.... it’s like eating a great meal everyday, it doesn’t taste as good over time. 

i think lightning bolt & backspacer are good albums, but Avocado was the last “Holy Shit they are on fire albums” imo... I’m still holding out hope I’ll be floored again

unwrapping a new album and hearing it for the 1st time... driving in my car, home stereo etc.... that’s a lil more exciting than seeing them for the 90th or so time.

im jaded Yes
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited July 2018
    Tour for sure. 'Can't Deny Me' does not bode well for a new album.
    This.

“Can’t Deny” is an absolute snoozer of a track for me.

I’ll ecstatically take an existing catalog show over a show with 4-5 more tracks of “CDM” caliber shoehorned in. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement.