Options

Make every day count for something worthwhile.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
edited March 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
 So often something happens to remind me of this- to make sure that, even at the very least in some small way or sometimes in some big way, to make each day count for something worthwhile.  Today I was reminded of this by the loss of a friend name Jim.  Last year, Jim was fighting cancer big time and he beat it.  When I heard that, I was so glad.  Jim was the kind of guy you really couldn't help but root for.  But then today I ran into a mutual friend who gave me the bad news.  Suddenly things turned for Jim  and, poof,  just like that he was gone.  That really knocked me down. 

So yeah, once again I'm reminded of how important it is to be thankful for each day and to make each and every one count.  A cliched as that sounds, there are fewer truths more sound than that one.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sometimes, truth can be trite, B.  Doesn't take away from its veracity.  I'm sorry for that hitting you so hard, but hell - understandable and natural.

I try to live by that credo, yet I also realize that there are days where I'm doing nothing by others' standards.  Just something selfish for myself, and that makes the time meaningful.  We have to tend to ourselves in order to pass the metaphorical oxygen mask.

Simply being a decent and kind person is enough.  Should be enough!

And fuck knows we need reminders from time to time.  I surely do :)

• Options
    hedonist said:
    Sometimes, truth can be trite, B.  Doesn't take away from its veracity.  I'm sorry for that hitting you so hard, but hell - understandable and natural.

I try to live by that credo, yet I also realize that there are days where I'm doing nothing by others' standards.  Just something selfish for myself, and that makes the time meaningful.  We have to tend to ourselves in order to pass the metaphorical oxygen mask.

Simply being a decent and kind person is enough.  Should be enough!

And fuck knows we need reminders from time to time.  I surely do :)

"Doing nothing" is what C. sometimes refers to as "sharpening the saw".  When I actually slow down to do nothing I'm sharpening the saw.  I might have to try that more often!

"Simply being a decent and kind person is enough."  Right on, Hedo.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    "Sharpening the saw."

Love it! :plus_one:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    "Sharpening the saw."

I prefer it when someone else "sharpens my saw."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    "Sharpening the saw."

Oil your rusty blade?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    "Sharpening the saw."

Hobbes said:
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    "Sharpening the saw."

Oil your rusty blade?
    :lol:

• Options
    Dare I insert "rusty cage" into the mix?

That is a great term though, B.  No matter the words, the goal is the same!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    I'm thankful for positive posts like this one Brian!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Hobbes said:
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    "Sharpening the saw."

Oil your rusty blade?

Or play his rusty trombone?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I'm thankful for positive posts like this one Brian!
    Thanks, my friend.  I'm working harder on seeking out the good things in this often crazy world.  And good souls like yourself help make that easier.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    I love the positive posts as well, always have.  This is a rough week for me,Tuesday was my brother's birthday.  He died suddenly 4 years ago.  He was not just my brother but my best friend.  I made it a point to be positive and not let the sadness overcome me.  It's easy to allow that, but we have control over how we react and handle circumstances, mind over matter.  The other option serves no purpose and is not healthy.  Get up everyday with the attitude that it's a beautiful day.  Attitude truly is everything.  
  • Options
    I love the positive posts as well, always have.  This is a rough week for me,Tuesday was my brother's birthday.  He died suddenly 4 years ago.  He was not just my brother but my best friend.  I made it a point to be positive and not let the sadness overcome me.  It's easy to allow that, but we have control over how we react and handle circumstances, mind over matter.  The other option serves no purpose and is not healthy.  Get up everyday with the attitude that it's a beautiful day.  Attitude truly is everything.  
    What a great post, P&E.  I'm sorry to hear about your brother.  No doubt he would be proud of your positive outlook.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Great thread and great posts. I try to reflect on something I’m grateful for every day. It can be something “insignificant” at face value, but might be that one thing in the day that makes a positive difference. It’s hard to slow down the fast pace of life sometimes, but reflecting on something I’m grateful for each day helps to keep things in perspective. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    brianlux said:
    What a great post, P&E.  I'm sorry to hear about your brother.  No doubt he would be proud of your positive outlook.
    Nah, he was a half glass empty kind of dude, but you made me chuckle with your reply.  We were siblings and polar opposites as far as ...well everything.  But we could always count on each other, fought like cats and dogs, but . . . we were always there for each other.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Nah, he was a half glass empty kind of dude, but you made me chuckle with your reply.  We were siblings and polar opposites as far as ...well everything.  But we could always count on each other, fought like cats and dogs, but . . . we were always there for each other.  
    My bro and I same way when we were young- fought all the time when we were young, but now we would do anything for each other.  Ah, the complexities of sibling relations!

• Options

OK, first, fuck the quoting function here lately.

Second, a big hug to you, my old friend.  Oddly enough, I had the Peppers' Don't Forget Me playing while reading and replying to this.

Just gorgeous and raw - as we all are at times, I think.

Attitude is indeed everything, but when you need to?  Give yourself a break to cry, scream, retreat...to do what you need for yourself.  No excuses, just love and tend to your soul.