Options

Offer 10c Merch Pre-Order's - Stop the Madness

Comments

• Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053

SalJam said:
    This makes so much sense....... Happy fans and the band will gross more $.   Win/Win
    It only makes sense if the band considers their current situation a problem in need of fixing, which they don’t.  These shows are events and the merch buying experience is also an event.  They promote it and tease it and market it as such.  It’s part of their brand.  
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options

SalJam said:
    This makes so much sense....... Happy fans and the band will gross more $.   Win/Win
    It only makes sense if the band considers their current situation a problem in need of fixing, which they don’t.  These shows are events and the merch buying experience is also an event.  They promote it and tease it and market it as such.  It’s part of their brand.  
    Yes. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd.  PJ/10Club want the attention.  They want all those people standing around the truck and tents with Pearl Jam written on them.  It draws people in.  It's great business practice.  Does it upset some around here, of course but what doesn't?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    edited February 2018

SalJam said:
    Having your fans wait in line for several hours to buy merch, only to find out it's sold out is part of their brand?  That's not fantastic branding.

My wife and I were talking yesterday, and we discussed how awesome the Pemberton '16 show was.   The band was on fire, the set was only 20 or 30 minutes shy of a full length 3 hour pj show.    There was none of the usual frustrations that surround a PJ show.   There were no lineups to get in, it was all GA, it was easy to get a decent spot just before they hit the stage, and there were no merch lineups.

It was like Pearl Jam Heaven :)  

The length of the merch lineups (especially outside) have passed the insane line.  Weren't they 3 or 4 hours long at the last Wrigley shows?  If we didn't have friends that were in the seats (who scored some merch for us inside the venue) I think we would of been out of luck.

I'm not sure 10c would take this on (mail ordering) though.   They sold posters online for the '09 tour, but they mention it was a struggle to mail out that many packages.    Given that we have stadium shows, it could be tens of thousands of orders per show.   They might be too small of an operation to handle that :(

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I’m definitely not knocking the Merch hysteria but I certainly don’t understand it. I do like to buy the occasional T-shirt or hoodie but I certainly am not waiting in line any longer than 20 minutes. I typically walk into the venue when I get there, walk up and grab a shirt. Half the fun for me for concert day is being at the local restaurant / bar with all the other crazy Pj fans feeling the anticipation growing before the show. I can’t imagine waiting in line for merch of GA for hours and missing out.  Just my thoughts of course. 
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Zod said:

SalJam said:
    Having your fans wait in line for several hours to buy merch, only to find out it's sold out is part of their brand?  That's not fantastic branding.

My wife and I were talking yesterday, and we discussed how awesome the Pemberton '16 show was.   The band was on fire, the set was only 20 or 30 minutes shy of a full length 3 hour pj show.    There was none of the usual frustrations that surround a PJ show.   There were no lineups to get in, it was all GA, it was easy to get a decent spot just before they hit the stage, and there were no merch lineups.

It was like Pearl Jam Heaven :)  

The length of the merch lineups (especially outside) have passed the insane line.  Weren't they 3 or 4 hours long at the last Wrigley shows?  If we didn't have friends that were in the seats (who scored some merch for us inside the venue) I think we would of been out of luck.

I'm not sure 10c would take this on (mail ordering) though.   They sold posters online for the '09 tour, but they mention it was a struggle to mail out that many packages.    Given that we have stadium shows, it could be tens of thousands of orders per show.   They might be too small of an operation to handle that :(

i would throw out there that only people who won tickets via 10C lottery can get the Merch for the shows they won via mail order.  everyone else just like going to any show line or no line.  
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    I might just not be remembering correctly, but I could have swore that when I got tickets for Chicago in 2009 through the ten club they offered the chance to pre-purchase the poster to the show.
  • Options
    jmug23 said:
    I’m definitely not knocking the Merch hysteria but I certainly don’t understand it. I do like to buy the occasional T-shirt or hoodie but I certainly am not waiting in line any longer than 20 minutes. I typically walk into the venue when I get there, walk up and grab a shirt. Half the fun for me for concert day is being at the local restaurant / bar with all the other crazy Pj fans feeling the anticipation growing before the show. I can’t imagine waiting in line for merch of GA for hours and missing out.  Just my thoughts of course. 
    I'm finding most shows for bigger bands now have longish merch lines.   20 minutes seems really rare now.   Even when fans aren't merch crazy, it's now the length of a transaction.    When I was younger, you kept cash in your wallet.   You'd pick everything you wanted while staring at the board, so when it was your turn, you were like I want an XL of that shirt and that poster, here's your $70.      Now people are trying on shirts, checking stuff out, paying with plastic (which takes extra time to process).   Line's now move at a snail pace.   Combine that with the craziness of the pearl jam fanbase, and instead of 45 minute line at a GNR show, you've got a 3 hour line at a PJ show.

All I ever want is pretty much the same thing.  A tshirt and a poster.   Never used to be an issue, now it's really difficult.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    jmug23 said:
    I'm finding most shows for bigger bands now have longish merch lines.   20 minutes seems really rare now.   Even when fans aren't merch crazy, it's now the length of a transaction.    When I was younger, you kept cash in your wallet.   You'd pick everything you wanted while staring at the board, so when it was your turn, you were like I want an XL of that shirt and that poster, here's your $70.      Now people are trying on shirts, checking stuff out, paying with plastic (which takes extra time to process).   Line's now move at a snail pace.   Combine that with the craziness of the pearl jam fanbase, and instead of 45 minute line at a GNR show, you've got a 3 hour line at a PJ show.

All I ever want is pretty much the same thing.  A tshirt and a poster.   Never used to be an issue, now it's really difficult.
    Yeah thats probably true.  Im usually only ever looking for a shirt or hat or something, so I can generally find a stand somewhere inside that has shirts available with reasonable lines.  I do find it odd that the issue of exceedingly long lines isn't addressed.  Or maybe it is and they have decided thats the business model that makes sense for them.  I know for my buddy and I, we are both willing to spend about $150 each show we go to when we do our PJ trips, which is usually just traveling for one show.  We both just like to grab stuff we can wear for the year.  A shirt, possible hoodie, hat etc.  That being said, if the line appears to be longer than 30 minutes, we won't buy anything, which means they are missing out on $300 between my buddy and myself.  I also have to imagine that many other people feel the same way and don't buy a shirt or whatever because the lines are unbearable.  Just seems like wasted opportunity, but what do I know, they are obviously doing OK financially :)
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    There is nothing more annoying than waiting in line for a concert shirt for an hour and then have the person in front of you get their turn and they still dont know what shirt they want. Really? After an hour you couldnt decide? SMH.
  • Options
    jmug23 said:
    Zod said:
    jmug23 said:

Yeah thats probably true.  Im usually only ever looking for a shirt or hat or something, so I can generally find a stand somewhere inside that has shirts available with reasonable lines.  I do find it odd that the issue of exceedingly long lines isn't addressed.  Or maybe it is and they have decided thats the business model that makes sense for them.  I know for my buddy and I, we are both willing to spend about $150 each show we go to when we do our PJ trips, which is usually just traveling for one show.  We both just like to grab stuff we can wear for the year.  A shirt, possible hoodie, hat etc.  That being said, if the line appears to be longer than 30 minutes, we won't buy anything, which means they are missing out on $300 between my buddy and myself.  I also have to imagine that many other people feel the same way and don't buy a shirt or whatever because the lines are unbearable.  Just seems like wasted opportunity, but what do I know, they are obviously doing OK financially :)
    I would agree.  Generally if you show up around doors, the lineups inside the venue are more reasonable than outside the venue.   The problem of buying inside is when you have GA.  You kind of have the choice to get a better spot or buy merch, and better spot always wins :)  If your in reserved it doesn't matter, I'd buy in the venue every time.  Seattle 2013 had lineups wrapping around the Key Arena neighborhood for four days straight, but I walked in, had a short wait at the merch booth and got everything I wanted.

Hopefully the 10c figures out a way to distribute merch better for these shows, but i'm not sure how.   If they go the mail route, that's alot of merch they have to package and mail.   I suppose they could increase staffing at the out door merch booths.   Maybe a cash only lineup :)

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I quit waiting in lines at show for merch right when it became a headache.  Not worth it.  I also do not particularly enjoy lugging stuff around and worrying about it during a show.

I would happily do a blind pre-order
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    With so much demand, there’s no reason for them not to sell in advance. 

The Foo’s are already selling their Wrigley and Fenway Merch.. 
    https://shop.foofighters.com/collections/unisex/products/wrigley-2018-tee
    Thanks for posting this. I have tickets to the Wrigley Foo Fighters show. Will be my first time seeing them. Now I have a shirt coming and for a good price btw.
  • Options
    Okay, I know we are 6 months out from the Wrigley Show, however I do have a question. This will be my first show so I would like to get a poster and  shirt for both nights what time would you get in line on Saturday? Unfortunately I'm landing in Chicago at 10:00, will I get there too late to score what I want?
  • Options
    Okay, I know we are 6 months out from the Wrigley Show, however I do have a question. This will be my first show so I would like to get a poster and  shirt for both nights what time would you get in line on Saturday? Unfortunately I'm landing in Chicago at 10:00, will I get there too late to score what I want?
    You have time.  My advice would be drop off your luggage at hotel, then head straight to stadium to get in line.  Be prepared to be in line for a couple of hours if not longer.  Have snacks and water with you.  That way, once you get your poster and whatever else you want, you will have time to take it back to your hotel and drop it off.  You really don't want to have to carry stuff around during the show if you arrive later with no time to take stuff back to your room.  
  • Options
    Are your seat's GA or reserved.  At Wrigley 16 we had GA and got into the line around 4.  We had two friends with us that had reserved tickets so they went in reserved when doors opened.   The outside lineups looked like they were 3 or 4 hours long, but our friends got through the inside merch lineup when they got in, in about 30ish minutes.

If your reserved and you don't want to spend half a day waiting outside... maybe go inside for doors, and buy your stuff inside.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Are your seat's GA or reserved.  At Wrigley 16 we had GA and got into the line around 4.  We had two friends with us that had reserved tickets so they went in reserved when doors opened.   The outside lineups looked like they were 3 or 4 hours long, but our friends got through the inside merch lineup when they got in, in about 30ish minutes.

If your reserved and you don't want to spend half a day waiting outside... maybe go inside for doors, and buy your stuff inside.
    We are reserved for both shows.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Great idea.. Plus stop people from buying ten of everything.. Limit purchase to a couple of iitem each.. 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575

ComeToTX said:
    Poster only lines would solve a lot of it. I seem to always get stuck behind people that can’t decide which shirt to get and have no idea what size they are. 
    Then you have people complaining that now they have to stand in 2 lines to get everything they want. 
    I wasn’t saying you can’t get posters in another line just that they should have 1 line that only sells posters. There are a lot of us that only want a poster at the show. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Tremendous idea. Would be a great system for both us and them!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Haven't been to a show yet, Seattle N2 will be my first. Is there really no merch inside the venue, just outside trucks for anyone to walk up to, ticket holder or not?  If so, would it be possible to get there early, get my poster and possible t-shirt so I can store it in the car or drive back to the place I'm staying at and not have to worry about bringing a poster tube and hanging onto the merch the whole concert?  I love the idea of pre-order to skip the lines and just have fun. 
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    derbydave said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    This will be my first stadium show, so I am definitely dreading the merch lines. It's already bad enough at regular PJ arena shows, so I can only imagine how insane it will be at the Seattle Home Shows. 

If they do merch the same way they have for the other stadium shows...
    try to go down to the merch tent/trailer the first day it's open.
    You'll still end up waiting for a while...
    but the lines will be way shorter than they are on show days!
    Since the first Seattle show is on Wednesday,
    I'm thinking the first merch tent will open sometime on Monday!!
    Thanks! That's super helpful. I'll keep my eye out and plan to hit the tent once it's open for business! 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Haven't been to a show yet, Seattle N2 will be my first. Is there really no merch inside the venue, just outside trucks for anyone to walk up to, ticket holder or not?  If so, would it be possible to get there early, get my poster and possible t-shirt so I can store it in the car or drive back to the place I'm staying at and not have to worry about bringing a poster tube and hanging onto the merch the whole concert?  I love the idea of pre-order to skip the lines and just have fun. 
    I don't think anyone said there was no merch inside the venue, unless I missed it somehow. It seems odd to think that the only way to get the merch at the Home/Away shows would be outside the stadium. People who attended Wrigley were comparing the length of the lines inside and outside the venue, so I don't think we have to worry about it. I think it's basically just a chance for people to buy the merch ahead of time since it's going to be significantly huge crowds. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I'm planning on NOT buying anything. Don't want more stuff, especially $35 posters that cost $150 to frame. 
    This is is what I keep telling myself, anyway, hoping I can resist when I actually get there. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    I'm planning on NOT buying anything. Don't want more stuff, especially $35 posters that cost $150 to frame. 
    This is is what I keep telling myself, anyway, hoping I can resist when I actually get there. 
    Not everything has to be framed professionally.  The majority of their posters now are 18x24 which you can frame with an off-the-shelf frame for $30 and (if you want) swap out the glass and backing for about $20 more to add archival materials. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    If they are selling merch a few days in advance, I MIGHT consider heading down to grab a poster. But I refuse to wait in line on show day.  It's just such a waste of time when you can be hanging out with friends in a bar/exploring the city or other things.  

I understand the band doesn't necessarily see a problem with all the hoopla, but you can't tell me that they would sell less by offering it up online prior to the show.  The goal is to make money.  And they make a shit ton of it.  Both at the shows and the sales after the tour is over.  I'm not sure at what point the merch is ready prior to the show, but there has to be a reason they haven't done this.  
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    In 2016 they started selling merch a couple days before the show for Wrigley and Fenway. They had a merch booth at the Metro that opened on Thursday when Wrigley 1 was on a saturday. That was nice to go and grab what I needed, 2 days before the show and have nothing to do but pregame on show day
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,769
    If they are selling merch a few days in advance, I MIGHT consider heading down to grab a poster. But I refuse to wait in line on show day.  It's just such a waste of time when you can be hanging out with friends in a bar/exploring the city or other things.  

I understand the band doesn't necessarily see a problem with all the hoopla, but you can't tell me that they would sell less by offering it up online prior to the show.  The goal is to make money.  And they make a shit ton of it.  Both at the shows and the sales after the tour is over.  I'm not sure at what point the merch is ready prior to the show, but there has to be a reason they haven't done this.  
    :money:

When before the show, I may buy a poster online if it were available. But if I wait in a line for 3 hours for a poster, I will justify it by buying 2 posters and a shirt. I absolutely believe at this point they would sell less merchandise if it were all made available online ahead of time. It has become kind of a thing for them. Kind of a less commercial KISS program....but we'd all but PJ matchbox cars if we could. :anguished:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    :money:

When before the show, I may buy a poster online if it were available. But if I wait in a line for 3 hours for a poster, I will justify it by buying 2 posters and a shirt. I absolutely believe at this point they would sell less merchandise if it were all made available online ahead of time. It has become kind of a thing for them. Kind of a less commercial KISS program....but we'd all but PJ matchbox cars if we could. :anguished:
    Where do I send my downpayment on a PJ coffin?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    I learned my lesson re: waiting in the long merch line at Wrigley in 2013.  We waited for hours, only to see that the posters we wanted were sold out.

The smart thing to do is to get to the venue when doors open, and rush to a merch stand away from the main entrance.  They usually have fresh stock of everything.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    ComeToTX said:

ComeToTX said:
    Poster only lines would solve a lot of it. I seem to always get stuck behind people that can’t decide which shirt to get and have no idea what size they are. 
    Then you have people complaining that now they have to stand in 2 lines to get everything they want. 
    I wasn’t saying you can’t get posters in another line just that they should have 1 line that only sells posters. There are a lot of us that only want a poster at the show. 
    I agree on a "poster express" line. I cannot stand it when you get stuck behind a person who hasnt made a t-shirt choice in the glut of time waiting.... and also needs to check out the sizes on every single shirt.  

I would also prefer these lines are organized better too.  Often, they funnel in from the outside in and the sides and they are designed to reward aggression/sliminess