Options

Promo Beny?

Has anyone heard of a promotional copy of Beny?  I am told I just acquired one and was told promos have the 'promo' language listed on the records, but as it's sealed and I know nothing of them, I thought I'd ask.  Does anyone know whether that's true?  Is there a difference in color?

Not asking because I want to sell (please do not message me), I am just curious.  Will be getting a letter from the person who received it as a promo copy in support of authenticity and because it would just be cool to have a record of it.  

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    There was promo cd.  I believe the case / cd was green instead of orange.
  • Options
    Huh!  The packaging appears to be the same color; this has the /2000, but no first number.  
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Yes there are a couple diff versions of these.
    The original run of 2000.
    Then several promo copies
    Also many pop up shop versions which appeared at a later time for those events.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    Yep few promos have sold, just not numbered
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Thank you, I appreciate it!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Is it the version without the slip case?  there was a legit version with all the discs but no case too.
    Several other versions of Benny with case, as the POP versions etc have been milked for charity.
  • Options
    InMyInnerSenseInMyInnerSense Posts: 58
    edited June 2017
    Nope, it has a slipcase... original owner apparently received it while or after working for SubPop.  It was a pre-release sample copy, to my understanding.
    Post edited by InMyInnerSense on
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    I have a green one. Slip case. Has man of he hour, black, daughter and crazy Mary on it
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    All of the above listed are the same thing and not different versions.  They have different numbering or none at all.

A Benny is a Benny.  Congrats on your pickup!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cool, thanks!  The only differences I have found elsewhere (discogs, I think) appear to be whether the identifiers on the records are hand-etched or stamped.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Cool, thanks!  The only differences I have found elsewhere (discogs, I think) appear to be whether the identifiers on the records are hand-etched or stamped.
    Nope, only one cut of this. Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
  • Options
    Cool, thank you guys heaps for the good info - it's been very helpful - it's nice to know as much as possible, since we (the album and my household) will be sharing time together indefinitely. 

Cheers!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    All of the above listed are the same thing and not different versions.  They have different numbering or none at all.

I am fully aware. It was a response to the OP's question.
    No need to nitpick the wording I used. I think they got the idea.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

I am fully aware. It was a response to the OP's question.
    No need to nitpick the wording I used. I think they got the idea.

Now who's nitpicking?
  • Options
    No nitpicking, all is good!
    I genuinely appreciate the help - everyone is trying to help, so we should all be happy and headed in the same direction :)

Thanks again,
    D
  • Options
    No nitpicking, all is good!
    I genuinely appreciate the help - everyone is trying to help, so we should all be happy and headed in the same direction :)

Thanks again,
    D
    I'm only poking fun, no malice, lol!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yep!  It's funny, I've been chasing this thing for nearly a decade and now that I've caught one I have so many questions... 

There's just something so wonderful and warm about the mechanics of spinning and listening to vinyl.  Outside of their music, dedication to changing things up while playing live, and willingness to continue to subject themselves to public scrutiny, I think the thing I appreciate most about the band is what they've done to bring vinyl back.  

I see all these pictures of Ed eating a hot dog at a Cubs game, or walking down the street, or hanging out at the beach, and it makes me so grateful they're willing to subject themselves to that level of exposure and personal interruption in order to continue making music.  Would be nice if people would let them be people and simply pay attention when they play their music :)
    Post edited by InMyInnerSense on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    There are copies P1-40 too, 

MM01-05

Ames1-10 i think 

and various other numbers
  • Options
    I wonder what the actual production run was...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I believe about 25,000.   We'll see new charity ones weekly even when Tim's grandkid is running the warehouse
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I wonder what the actual production run was...
    I would guess, 2500-3000, but that is only a guess.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I've read that other collectable's usually do an overrun of 10% to 20% to compensate for lost/damaged items.    I would guestimate 2300 to 2500 maybe?
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I've read that other collectable's usually do an overrun of 10% to 20% to compensate for lost/damaged items.    I would guestimate 2300 to 2500 maybe?
    $1 for each one made!!!