Options

*Updated* Joshua - The Love Boat Captain

stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
edited April 2016 in The Porch
Hello!

This is one of the few times I've posted on here, but I have something I really want to share with my "jamily". Please be kind, this is a heartfelt post.

My 9 year old son was born four weeks early and had severe delays early on. At 6 months old, we found out he had cerebral palsy. We were overwhelmed by this baby that would be inconsolable for hours on end. But, then we discovered the one thing that he loved. Live from Madison Garden. Literally this 6 month old baby, who was developmentally like a newborn... Would completely stop crying when Love Boat Captain could start. It was a incredible relief.

As he began therapy we would use Pearl Jam Music to get him through. When he would stop working, we would turn off the DVD and he'd snap to attention.

He didn't talk until he was five, but I accredit him learning from the countless hours listening to PJ and mimicking the sounds of the instruments and lyrics.

Joshua has been wheelchair bound his whole life. We've gone through several major surgeries to help his misaligned legs. He's spent months in a body cast and in inpatient therapy. And now at 9, he's very slowly learning to walk, as you can imagine it's a miracle to see.

Joshua's love for PJ has made the music part of our family. My husband and I have become the super fans we are today because it's part of our life. He knows the lyrics to every single song, even the Christmas singles... But yet he can't spell his own name.

Last year, we brought him to his first show in Milwaukee. He still talks about it and asks to go to the "concert". We are hoping for another tour very soon so he can have the opportunity to go again.

I've wanted to share his story for a while, but I'm very protective. People can be cruel and I never want anyone to think that I have selfish motivation.

But, he is a part of this community and I think that his story is pretty cool. (I know I'm biased being his mom lol)

Here is a link to my latest you tube video. Him and I are talking about the song Porch and he drops the f-bomb. It's kinda cute. There are also some random videos of him rocking out through the years.

https://youtu.be/-qGNGbF5nH0

Although I would love to see Joshua meet the band, or get on stage one day... I more or less just would love to gain some support through the community as he learns to walk. And, just gain some awareness of his disability and his fandom.

Last show we felt somewhat out of place bringing him along. So, hopefully next time you all will see us and say hi!

Thanks in advance for your support!
Peace, Love, PJ
Christina
Post edited by stina1118 on

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,049
    Christina, PM me your address please. Can I send him something?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    That is awesome. Thanks for sharing your story!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I would assume you have the Milwaukee show on CD. If not pm me and I will send you my extra copy. Good stuff right here. Give your boy some hugs from a fellow fan for me. Keep him rocking, see you at a show sometime... :peace:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    awesome story!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Christina, please know that you have plenty of support here. :hug: What an awesome guy! Thank you for sharing your story.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Thank you all! The support is so awesome and I will read all of your comments to him after school. We do have MKE and he watches the multicam shows on you tube... This kid is so hard core he has preferences to which bootleg/song version he wants. It's frustrating at times because his vocabulary and speech is limited, so he will want a certain bootleg and I have to figure out which one!!! His favorite songs are You Are, Love Boat Captain ... Just like the rest of us, his other favorites change from time to time. haha

He's a crazy hardcore fan, just like the rest of us. :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    This is amazing and that you for sharing.
    I dont have the DVD of that Milwaukee show but wasn't sure if you knew you can watch on YouTube a great version....you probably already have seen this, but if not:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EH0-zH0L40U

Keep on rocking Joshua!!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    edited October 2015
    Amazing post! Made my day!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    Thank You for sharing your inspirational, personal life experiences - "All you need is love". Peace to you and your family!
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
  • Options
    The love is overwhelming!! I haven't stopped crying. Haha I've thought about sharing for a while and I'm so glad I did! Pearl Jam fans really are the best! This band and community inspires us and I'm proud to be a part of it.

So, PJ if you're listening... Joshua wants another concert and to meet his new friends... Hint hint!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Much support from here, and admiration for mixing the light into grey.

Anyone gives you guff for this post, I'll kick their ass ;)

Rock on, Joshua!
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    I stopped everything I was doing to read this. I am so glad you shared Joshua's story Christina! What an incredible young man and you are one awesome mom. I will be thinking of you guys from now on. If he would like a poster from Celebrating The Who with Eddie Vedder at the Rosemont Theater from 5/14/15 pm me! I noticed you are from IL like me!
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had the courage to post and share your story. Hopefully he'll get a chance sooner than later to see another show.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Wow..just wow. I too stopped everything I was doing to read your post. Thank you so much for sharing. Joshua will continue to be an inspiration to everyone and I can only hope I'm as great of a parent as you are, Christina. Rock on dude!!!
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    Thank you for sharing this. Here's hoping Joshua gets a show soon! Wishing your family much love and happiness.
  • Options
    He's gonna be so excited to read your comments! Thank you again! Sharing one more video. This is right before the previous one. Sorry it's hard to hold the camera sideways lol I have arthritis and my hands shake bad when I do that!

We were practicing sitting...
    https://youtu.be/wX9ZFlT6kL8

Sending so much love and good energy to you all!
  • Options

I stopped everything I was doing to read this. I am so glad you shared Joshua's story Christina! What an incredible young man and you are one awesome mom. I will be thinking of you guys from now on. If he would like a poster from Celebrating The Who with Eddie Vedder at the Rosemont Theater from 5/14/15 pm me! I noticed you are from IL like me!

Thank you so much! We do have one, my husband and I attended. Your kindness is so appreciated!!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Thanks for sharing. Hey Joshua, ROCK ON :rock_on:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Awesome little fella! Much love to y'all.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    This is by far the post of the decade!!
    Thanks for sharing

Keep on rockin Joshua!!
    It is an honor to be a fan of the same band as your are..
    Much love!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is the "stuff" that matters - good job buddy and keep up the good work!!!!
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,634
    JOSHUA IS THE COOLEST KID EVER!!!!

keep on rockin

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    stina1118 said:

Thank you so much! We do have one, my husband and I attended. Your kindness is so appreciated!!
    Too bad I didn't get the chance to meet you guys! What a great show I hope you guys had a good time! Hoping for many more!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Thanks for sharing Joshua with us! What a great smile, and his enthusiasm is infectious. We sometimes get caught up in petty bickering or complaining on these boards (I know I'm occasionally guilty!), but this slams things right back into perspective. It is the music that brings us together, brings us joy, and helps us through the hard times. Keep on rockin', Joshua!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,847
    Christina, thanks for sharing your story and the heartfelt post. It made my day. Joshua....fantastic singing buddy, you gave me chills :rock_on: What an incredible kid and family :smiley:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    Great story - thanks for sharing! I think there a lot of people here who completely understand how PJ's music can help us through our struggles and accompany us through our triumphs - I think that is the one thing that connects pretty much all of us here. Joshua is clearly a big Riot Act fan; he obviously has excellent taste!! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Hey Christina, I don't think you guys got LBC in Milwaukee. Here's the version from ACL 1 from the same tour. They did something different with it and played it throughout the tour. I was floored when I heard it in Austin. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did! All you need is love :heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKIE6yL2aI
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    Thank You Christina.
    What a gift you have shared by exposing us to the light that is this beautiful boy!
    And thank you Joshua for helping us steer towards the clear, here.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    He's not the only one with CP that PJ music has helped through the many struggles. I know someone who has made tremendous strides and accomplished a lot by being passionate about music. Keep encouraging him. God bless and prayers for overcoming obstacles.