Options

*Updated* Joshua - The Love Boat Captain

Comments

• Options
    devindoughtydevindoughty Las Vegas, Nevada Posts: 27
    Christina

I hope this finds you well today. I'm late to seeing your post as I haven't been on the board much lately, but with the tour announcement got my juices going.

I just wanted to send you and your family, especially Joshua lots of love, positive vibes, and a interweb hug.

Your story absolutely touches my heart, because I also have CP and PJ's music has made a profound impact on my life. They're the soundtrack of my life, literally.

I love the band and the fans not only for the musical connection, but for stories like yours. My dad's passion for music took me to my first PJ show in 1998, and 18 years later I still look forward to seeing them like it's Christmas.

My wife and I are going to Raleigh & Columbia and we couldn't be more excited. I always tell my friends and family that as long as the band is still touring, I'll keep showing up, because the shows give me an energy that is one of the most positive things I've ever felt. Joshua and I have that common.

All the best.

1998: Knoxville, TN
    2000: Albuquerque, NM
    2003: Denver, CO
    2004: Asheville, NC
    2012: Atlanta, GA
    2013: Chicago, IL & Los Angeles, CA I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I, Milan, Vienna, Trieste, Berlin, St. Louis
    2016: Columbia, SC & Chicago, IL I & II
    2018: Chicago I & II
  • Options
    The story is a great one. And seeing the reaction of this community to this post... it just gives me a profound feeling of how caring and remarkably compassionate people can be.
    Christina and Josh, you and all parents of disabled children are real-world superheroes and your son Josh is a bastion of human strength - that we can all enjoy life and find happiness regardless of developmental barriers.
    If I'm lucky enough to run into you during the shows I'm seeing I'd be happy to say hi!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    stina1118 said:

@BLACK35 and @buck502000 thank you so much for that! Once again, PJ fans are awesome!!

Since Joshua is in a wheelchair, we need to have access to seats that can accommodate the chair. So, we are working on that with some special help from an organization that has reached out to us. Fingers crossed it all comes through!!

Thank you both for the offer, I'll be sure to let you all know if we can't come up with tickets! By keeping this thread alive, hopefully the right person will see it and help us get the Wheelchair Accessible seating we need!

hope I get to see you guys in Wrigley :tongue:
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    IcurapsIcuraps IL Posts: 4
    I just wanted to again say thank you for all of the kind words. We are so excited to bring him to his second show, especially after how well he did at Milwaukee. He has been telling us "concert is so exciting dad" for over a year now so we it will be amazing to see how he is this time. Thank you again to all the great PJ Fans.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Good luck getting to a show!
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Love hearing updates on little Joshua! You guys deserve to be front and center for the show (or many shows) you attend! I'm pulling for my favorite 10c family. I feel a "play Love Boat Captain for Joshua" thread coming soon...
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,396
    I'm a physcial therapist...I know he can do ANYTHING!!! Music is a great motivator!! GO JOSHUA!!
  • Options
    Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    He feels the love like the rest of us! Awesome - my prayers go out to Joshua and your family!
    Love to see you all at a show.
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    edited January 2016
    Sorry for the delayed response! Thank you for the support and love that keeps coming through this thread. I just wrote a huge long post and for some reason half of it deleted!!!

My kids are probably not going to have the patience to let me rewrite it... But, overall... This thread means so much to us... It makes going to the shows with Joshua a little less scary, it provides us encouragement and love. It has confirmed what we already knew, PJ and their fans are amazing people with big hearts. Keep on rocking (in the free world)!!
    Post edited by stina1118 on
  • Options
    pjkostin2012pjkostin2012 São Paulo Posts: 64
    This is so great!!!

Yes! Joshua must go!

Maybe 10c can help you?

Why Go...because he rocks :)
    Larissa - São Paulo - Brasil
    2005 - SÃO PAULO - BRASIL
    2011 - São Paulo (2x) - Rio - Curitiba - Brasil
    2012 - EUROPE: Manchester,UK - 2012 (2X) Amsterdam, NL - 06/29/2012 Werchter, BE - 2012
    2013 - São Paulo/BR - Argentina - Chile
    US: Phoenix - San Diego - Los Angeles (2x) - Oakland - Portland - Spokane - Seattle - 2013
    2014: EV - SP (3x) RJ (2x)
    2015: Chile - Argentina - Porto Alegre - São Paulo - Brasília - Belo Horizonte - Rio de Janeiro
    2018: Chile - Rio de Janeiro - São Paulo - Seattle (2x) EV (3x)
    2022: San Diego - L.Angeles (2x) - NY
    36 PJ - 5 EV
  • Options
    SG185699SG185699 Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    I don't come on this site a lot, so I just noticed your post. Your son is beautiful and amazing! I had a brother who was born with a heart defect and passed away recently, so I understand the dedication, love and understanding needed to raise a child with special needs. You are wonderful parents!
    Do your receive Pearl Jams "Deep" Magazine? If not, I would love to send mine to Josh. They seem like just the thing a child his age would like to look at.
    If you would like them, just message me your address and I will send them out to you.

I hope you are able to get Josh to PJ's upcoming tour. I'm routing for you!!

All the best! :)
    Post edited by SG185699 on
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited January 2016
    Heartbreaking story. If there is something I can do from the Netherlands. Send a gift or something. I already gave my bootleg codes away to fans through a New Years lottery Dimitris organized. But if I can do something like that to make your son happy PM me.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    SG185699 said:

I don't come on this site a lot, so I just noticed your post. Your son is beautiful and amazing! I had a brother who was born with a heart defect and passed away recently, so I understand the dedication, love and understanding needed to raise a child with special needs. You are wonderful parents!
    Do your receive Pearl Jams "Deep" Magazine? If not, I would love to send mine to Josh. They seem like just the thing a child his age would like to look at.
    If you would like them, just message me your address and I will send them out to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and all the best to YOU.

Bump for Josh and everyone else making their way on rocky roads.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Hopefully he can get the tickets he needs! Great story!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    Thank you all!! Best of luck to everyone in the lottery today!!!!!
  • Options
    SG185699 said:

Im very sorry for the loss of your brother, it sounds like he held a very special place in your heart. We do have memberships and receive deep, but thank you so much for the offer. It means so much to us!

And @fortyshades thank you for the thought, we have a solid pj collection and what we don't have Joshua likes to watch on You Tube. That is so sweet!!

• Options
    Well, I believe I have some membership code somewhere for a bootleg. If not, I will have one soon. Just yell out and it is his. (Or PM me). I remember how important music was when I was younger. Just want to make him happy.
  • Options
    pjkostin2012pjkostin2012 São Paulo Posts: 64
    Did you hear if you have tickets? Which show is Joshua the Love Boat Captain going to?

This will be so good to see him go to a show again to see his favourite Pearl Jam!
    Larissa - São Paulo - Brasil
    2005 - SÃO PAULO - BRASIL
    2011 - São Paulo (2x) - Rio - Curitiba - Brasil
    2012 - EUROPE: Manchester,UK - 2012 (2X) Amsterdam, NL - 06/29/2012 Werchter, BE - 2012
    2013 - São Paulo/BR - Argentina - Chile
    US: Phoenix - San Diego - Los Angeles (2x) - Oakland - Portland - Spokane - Seattle - 2013
    2014: EV - SP (3x) RJ (2x)
    2015: Chile - Argentina - Porto Alegre - São Paulo - Brasília - Belo Horizonte - Rio de Janeiro
    2018: Chile - Rio de Janeiro - São Paulo - Seattle (2x) EV (3x)
    2022: San Diego - L.Angeles (2x) - NY
    36 PJ - 5 EV
  • Options
    Pipi78Pipi78 Posts: 6
    Hi there !
    You are amazing mum of very special boy. I hope everything goes right and you managed to get tix for the show! You have great family and a little pj fighter :) Thank you for sharing your story Lots of love from UK <3
    Once upon a time I could loose myself ....
  • Options
    Thank you!!! No tickets yet!! We're gonna keep the faith!!!!
  • Options
    Hey all!

So, after lots of effort this week... We have still fallen short on tickets for this tour. Our biggest obstacle is finding tickets that can accommodate Joshua's wheelchair.

Philly was the best location for us to travel to because of the support we would have in place there. Also, the dates were most accommodating to finding a baby sitter for our daughter.

Wrigley is the closest show for us. But, being an outdoor venue and in such high demand... We don't see that as a good option for Joshua. Plus if there was another rain delay, that would be really hard on him.

So, I'm reaching out to you all to let us know if you hear of any available tickets, that may work for our needs... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, let us know! We would need to be in a handicap accessible section, floor or GA.

Joshua's 10th birthday is April 6th and I would love nothing more than to take him on his first PJ road trip for his gift this year. I know this will be a challenge, but I have a lot of faith that we will find a way.

Getting wheelchair accessible tickets is more challenging than people know. All we would like is to let him experience PJ like any other fan. I know so many people were shut out for tickets and when it comes to accessible tickets our chances were even slimmer. In addition, we've tried contacting the venue to purchase seats... But, their system for ADA tickets was even worse than the general sale.

All of you that have contributed to this thread and others who have reached out to us directly have been amazing. This thread has provided us with so much love, I can't even begin to explain it.... And I hate to even ask for anything from you all... But, please keep us in mind and keep the good energy going! We want to meet you all this tour.

Thank you!!
    Christina ✌
  • Options
    bmulvanybmulvany Posts: 156
    Wonderful story Christina

I hope that Joshua gets to a show again soon and that PJ continues to give Joshua you and your husband continued peace, excitement and happiness
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    https://youtu.be/0kPGcCwOeII

A new video telling a little bit about Joshua's story... We're still fighting for tickets!! See my new thread called Unique Ticketing Situation & Perspective.

Thanks for the love, keep it coming!
    Post edited by stina1118 on
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    This video is amazing!!! So awesome.
  • Options
    IcurapsIcuraps IL Posts: 4
    Thank you
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    What a great video! I love the pic of him with the headphones on....pure joy. Positive energy that tickets will come through for you and Joshua!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    I love this family. Seeing Joshua rock out makes me so happy! I really hope you guys get the tickets you need! :peace:
  • Options
    Great video...
  • Options
    Hi there!
    Haven't updated in a bit, life has been a little busy. We're really excited to let everyone know that Joshua will be going to Philly for a show this spring!

Thanks to Given to Live and their hard work, Joshua (and us) now have accessible seats. In addition to tickets, they have also secured our hotel for us! Their generosity is beyond amazing.

We would like to thank them and the PJ organization for helping us secure tickets for Joshua.

If you don't know what Given to Live is... Check out their website: http://www.giventolive.com

They are a fan run organization based out of the U.K. and this is what they do! They provide assistance to those who may have challenges attending shows of the bands they love.

We are very excited to take Joshua to his second show, we know it will be memorable for all of us. Joshua's birthday is in early April, so this will be a memorable 10th birthday for him!!!

Thank you all for the support and love you have shared with us over the last few months. We are very fortunate to be part of this community and are hoping to meet more of you in Philly!!

Love,
    The Swansons
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Good news - glad to hear it!!!