Comments

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    release, because when you hear it, you know PJ just took the stage
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    In Hiding
    Madison Square Garden
    there are 2 parts where EV hits I'm In Hiding as the band builds and explodes
    leaves you energized and breathless and that's hard to do since it came after they played Given To Fly!!!
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    SCMike10SCMike10 Posts: 195
    SMILE!

I always liked the way the song chugs along. It wasn't until I saw them in Hartford 2008 that I realized that Jeff and Stone trade instruments! Such a small thing but I always get choked up when the swap takes place!
    Irvine Meadows - Sep 13, 1992
    Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003
    Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004
    Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008
    ALL FOUR 09 PHILLY SHOWS!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018
    Thank you for the chance. I love to hear "Lukin" followed by "Not For You" - it gets me every time.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    For me: Release. If they open the set with that song you know it's going to be a special night :)
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I've always loved Long Road although it's not actually my favourite PJ song. I have lots of favourite versions and I always strum the chords when I'm trying to get one of my guitars in tune, sometimes with a Mike pick I got from a board member a couple of years ago (thanks Chazz) who herself got it thrown to her from the man himself in the Forum, Copenhagen 07 where they opened with Long Road. It's a song of mourning but somehow it also makes me quite happy when I hear it. The San Diego 06 version is amazing and it's just a very simple but really heartfelt song. It was also the first PJ song I saw live in Dublin 10 and a week later it was played again while I watched at a very emotional Berlin show. Anyway, nice giveaway. Thanks for letting me put my name in the hat and best wishes... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    Rearview Mirror has always been the song that has touched me most.

When VS was released I was going through some pretty typical teenage stuff. Due to a divorce I was forced to move out of my mothers house to my fathers house. I lost a lot of my fiends, contacts, personal relationships, etc... and was just a very difficult and different time for me. When VS was release in 93 and all this was happening I found a connection with the strong words and feelings of Rearview Mirror. The physical nature of the song rang true to me on an emotional level and embraced my 15 year old mind. The lyrics and powerful music kept me strong during the darkest hours and depths of adolescent depression when I felt so rock bottom. Knowledge of a day where I would come out on the other side and be able to see things clearer once this all was in my "rearview mirror" gave me the mental capacity to know that there would always be a tomorrow and today will look so different from tomorrows vantage point. To this day I live my live under the idea:

I guess it was the beatings, made me wise.
    But I'm not about to give thanks or apologize.

The life lessons (the beatings) of my youth have made me part of the person that I am. In reflection (Rearview Mirror) I would not be who I am without the character development that occurred through that time. But I was just a child thrust into chaos and had to learn how to deal with issues that were so past my emotional capability. For that I am not about to give thanks or apologize.

Thank you to Pearl Jam for all they have given me and this is one of 1000000 examples of why I am so attached to this band.
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    Given to Fly
    It reminds me of my first show and has been my fav PJ tune since the first time I heard it.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,986
    Given to Fly

Well they say your first time is the most memorable....and for me my first ever gig was in 2010 (i'm a relatively new PJ fan). A sunny day in Hyde Park, London, surrounded by over 50,000 other Pearl Jam fans. I was so excited but really nervous before they came on. PJ had quickly become my favourite ever band and with their reputation for their live shows, I guess it was just the fear of being underwhelmed.

However, the band come on to rapturous applause and before the crowd starts to quieten down, the band kicks straight into Given to Fly. The feeling i had when the intro begun has stuck with me, one of those 'I can't believe this is happening' moments. Needless to say it was an amazing gig and PJ were even better than I expected!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    The greatest musical experience I have ever been a part of or experience was Release at Alpine. I get goosebumps every time thinking about it and watching youtube vids. Having not been around here very long, I was extremely fortunate enough to score lottery 9th row front and center for Night 1 at Alpine with my best buddy. That feeling when the guys first came out on stage, Ed walking out on stage not looking at the crowd once, setting his notebook and wine down, and as he is lifting himself up the opening chords of Release rip through the air and the crowd absolutely erupts. Ed takes his first look at the corwd and the energy takes over him and he puts his hands over his mouht gazing out into the crowd, then just puts is hands in the air and looks up in the sky - awesome. The sensation of the crowd being so loud and drowning out Ed's voice completely two or three times throughout the song and actually feeling like the energy from the crowd has rolled down the hill and lifted me off my feet during "ride the wave......WHERE IT TAKES MEEEEEE". So many good memories from that weekend, but Release hits me like a ton of bricks everytime.....brings chills every time. That feeling of so many people being connected and creating a tidal wave of emotion and energy is a once in a lifetime experience.

Thanks for the chance and this is an amazing give away.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    "Who You Are"

The story behind the first time myself and my buddy Johnny Aggro heard it was when we were in Scotland in 1996. We had met some girls on holiday a few weeks earlier and at 17 years of age we were like two bulls in heat so we crossed the water from Dublin to Scotland in search of them :mrgreen:

The single was released while over there and they couldn't understand why we went off together to listen to the new single for about an hour. Silly story but I will always remember where I was when I first heard that tune :lol:
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    "INDIFERENCE" Closed the show the 1st time I saw PJ in Austin. So powerful and badass!!!! They need to play it more, the only time I've ever heard it live 8-)
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    release, because when you hear it, you know PJ just took the stage
    This! :D
    Please don't include me, I recently won something. Great giveaway! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    EJE201EJE201 Mason, MI Posts: 319
    Nothingman. It is just a haunting story. I have no first hand experience with this type of relationship but even so it is a very powerful song. If it can make you feel something without ever actually feeling it in real life then I think that is a real masterpiece. A good lesson of love. Thanks for the chance!
    Let's say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Right now, it is You Are.
    I love the groove and the powerful lyrics, this song was something like Cav's and my mantra while we were waiting for my visa to be issued. And because of that, we had the title engraved in our wedding rings :)

Thanks for the chance and good luck to all!
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Release

The song has always held a personal meaning for me. Plus its the PJ first song that I have ever heard live.
  • Options
    juancor70juancor70 Posts: 206
    Black from the Nov 25th 2005 show in Buenos Aires. It was the first time I heard it live, and Eddie used the 'we belong together' tag. I cried.

Thanks for the chance! Awesome giveaway.
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Porch - live Harriet island 92, this song has always resonated for me. From the line "left the porch" which to me said get up and go, to the line "what the fuck is this world coming to" questioning all the things in life as I sat on my porch as a kid pondering it all. "Take a good look" was deep for me too. Everything about this song from message to tempo has been so perfect. Then later when they released "breath" I swore the two songs belonged together for their messages intertwined. Still two of my all time favorite songs, so passionate, powerful and emotional.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    bump
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Come Back - first time I heard it I had to stop and sit down. Never before or since has a song resonated with me so completely with how I felt when my brother died. A truly beautiful song that makes me well up whenever I hear it, I don't know how I'd handle it if I ever saw it played live
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    Elderly woman... good memories every time i hear that gem.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    very cool giveaway 8-)

mine is garden. the direction of the eye... our modern needs... i don't need you, for me to live.

a very deep song, talking about those things we sometimes cannot control. my favorite song from ten, and it had an immediate impact on me from the first spin. lucky enough to see it live in atlanta once.

good luck to all, and thanks again!!
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    BrianEngelBrianEngel Posts: 183
    When I got a copy of Eddie's RSD "Love Boat Captain" 45, I played it over and over and over and joyful tears have been a constant companion at 50% of the listenings. All you need is Love!
    I've never felt more connected to Eddie and the people of planet earth in my whole life. On one listen, with a little cannabis, it felt Eddie was in the room with me. Tell him thank you for making my life better :D
    I've never had the opportunity to see PJ perform live in-person. In 21 years. For a variety of reasons. I catch up by listening to PJ radio.
    love to all of us!
    Brian
    "Don't need a raincoat, I'm already wet!"
  • Options
    ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    Oh...so many songs have special meaning, depending on how any particular day is going. Today, the song that means the most to me is "Rearview Mirror" because I'm in the process of making some life changes that I've been putting off for much too long.

Thanks so much for the chance!
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,126
    Cool giveaway! I could go with so many diff songs. I'll go with one I haven't seen posted yet...Blood. Just the raw emotion this song was played with back in the early 90's hit me. The raw anger at the media is something that has resonated with me for 20 years. The way the media twists, controls, builds people up, tears people down and so on. Blood just hits me every time.

Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Such great stories. Reminding me of a lot of lost forgotten feelings I've felt at those shows.
    You guys are great writers!
    Keep em comin!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Thanks for the chance. Very cool giveaway, although, I'd likely use the pick, which would probably make collectors' heads spin.

I feel like I've told this story before, but here goes (maybe) again.

To begin with, there are so many Pearl Jam songs that get to me on a deeper emotional level -- "Off He Goes," "Given to Fly," "Why Go," "Light Years," "Come Back," "Black," "The End," "I Am Mine," "Jeremy," "Indifference," "Thin Air," "All Those Yesterdays," "Nothingman," "Thumbing My Way," Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town," "Unthought Known," "Daughter," "Gone" (and then some) -- but the one that always and forever will put a huge lump in my throat (one that's getting harder and harder to swallow) is the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard: "Alive."

The first time I heard "Alive" in 1991, I felt like I was hearing a painful chapter of my life story set to the awesome music for which I had been waiting. (I mean, acts such as Wilson Phillips, Amy Grant, Nelson, New Kids on the Block, Extreme, Color Me Badd, and so on were dominating the airwaves; it was truly a dark time for rock and roll.)

I'll explain. I was told at a very young age that my biological father had died while I was still a newborn. (He and my mother had already split up.) As the years went by, I learned that my mother received this news from a less-than-reliable source -- namely, a rival for her affection -- so I became more skeptical of the story and more hopeful that he was still alive. The story was still somewhat believable because he had a severe form of type 1 diabetes as a juvenile and wasn't supposed to live past age 18, but I had this shred of circumstance on which to hang my faith. So, when I first heard Eddie Vedder sing the chorus, the 16-year-old me always imagined it as my dead/missing father singing/pleading to me that he was still alive. (A misinterpretation, I know, but that's how I heard it.)

We tried searching for him and his family members a few times in the early 1990s but always hit a wall. Then, in 1998, I got a call from my mother -- she and my grandmother had found him. Not only had they found him, but he was living 45 minutes away from where I was living at the time (Sarasota, Florida) in the town of my birth/conception (St. Petersburg, Florida), no less!

He was still alive!

It was pure coincidence. He and his wife had been living in Grenada, and she needed surgery, so they moved back to the U.S. They were only staying in St. Pete for a while, until she had healed from her surgery, at which time they were planning on moving to the town of his birth in western Pennsylvania.

During that brief window, I met my father for the first time as a 23-year-old man, and we were exactly alike. We looked the same, our mannerisms were the same, we spoke with the same voice, and we liked the same kind of music, with one exception -- he didn't know much about Pearl Jam.

Choking back tears at our first meeting, I told him about the song "Alive" and how I had always imagined it as him speaking to me. He said that he was very interested in hearing the song. I played it for him, and he loved it.

In 1999, he moved up to Pennsylvania, and I moved to Boston. We were farther apart in distance, but we became closer as father and son. We continued to share music, buying/burning each other CDs and exchanging them in the mail or in person -- every time one of us made a trip to visit the other, we always had a few discs to exchange. He really dug Binaural and got what Pearl Jam was up to on that record before I, the longtime fan, did. (I found it off-putting at first.)

I caught the band for the first time in a long time (six years!) on that tour (with Sonic Youth!) and told my dad that even though I was stuck on the lawn at Great Woods -- my 10 Club membership had long expired by then, as I had lived too many years on a student's budget -- Pearl Jam still had the uncanny ability to make it feel like you were close and part of the show. Also, they flat-out rocked my fucking face off!

His health was getting worse -- in addition to the type 1 diabetes that was supposed to kill him before he reached manhood, he was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis -- but he said that he'd like to see them live before he died.

He never got to see that show. I went to see him in a nursing home for the holidays in 2002, knowing that it would likely be the last time; it was.

The next time I saw Pearl Jam was the middle stanza of the Mansfield experiment on July 3, 2003. They opened with "Release." You can imagine how it felt to hearing that song. It was like hearing it for the first time. And when they closed the first encore with "Alive," I felt like things had come full circle. It was an intense night for me, and as hokey as it sounds, I felt my father there with me. (Sept. 29, 2004 during "Man of the Hour," I felt that again.)

I never got to go to my father's funeral or my grandmother's (his mother's) funeral (she was very dear to me) -- they died a few months apart. That family has money, and they seem to think that it's as important to me as it is to them, so they cut off communication and no one got back to me on when the service(s) would be.

It's 10 years later, I have my own family now, and we plan on making a stop to pay our respects to dad and mammo on the way to Chicago. Somehow, I've got to find a way to close that chapter for me while also opening up a chapter for my kids. It won't be easy, but Pearl Jam's music will be there with us throughout it all.

And wherever you've gone... and wherever we might go...
    It don't seem fair...you seemed to like it here...
    Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Got to be Sleight Of Hand. I only really got into Pearl Jam in 1999 so Binaural was the first album I got on release date. The album hit a note straight away and I've loved it, always been one of the favourites. Sleight Of Hand was the favourite from Binaural early on and always has been ever since. I'd say it is in my top 5 PJ songs. They never played it Manchester '00 and as the years & tours have gone on it has slipped from the setlist. So I got to the point really of thinking I'm unlikely to see it live. Then at Manchester 2009 Ed put it in the set, 14 songs in between Grievance and Got Some. Fuck me, it was unexpected. I could, nearly did cry. That moment when you have a chill down your spine, the hairs on your body are all on end. It happened. A moment I'll never forget.

Half Full at Manchester 1 last year was similar and if I ever get to see In My Tree the same thing will happen!

Cool giveaway and good luck everyone.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,066
    dankind wrote:
    Thanks for the chance. Very cool giveaway, although, I'd likely use the pick, which would probably make collectors' heads spin.

I feel like I've told this story before, but here goes (maybe) again.

To begin with, there are so many Pearl Jam songs that get to me on a deeper emotional level -- "Off He Goes," "Given to Fly," "Why Go," "Light Years," "Come Back," "Black," "The End," "I Am Mine," "Jeremy," "Indifference," "Thin Air," "All Those Yesterdays," "Nothingman," "Thumbing My Way," Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town," "Unthought Known," "Daughter," "Gone" (and then some) -- but the one that always and forever will put a huge lump in my throat (one that's getting harder and harder to swallow) is the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard: "Alive."

The first time I heard "Alive" in 1991, I felt like I was hearing a painful chapter of my life story set to the awesome music for which I had been waiting. (I mean, acts such as Wilson Phillips, Amy Grant, Nelson, New Kids on the Block, Extreme, Color Me Badd, and so on were dominating the airwaves; it was truly a dark time for rock and roll.)

I'll explain. I was told at a very young age that my biological father had died while I was still a newborn. (He and my mother had already split up.) As the years went by, I learned that my mother received this news from a less-than-reliable source -- namely, a rival for her affection -- so I became more skeptical of the story and more hopeful that he was still alive. The story was still somewhat believable because he had a severe form of type 1 diabetes as a juvenile and wasn't supposed to live past age 18, but I had this shred of circumstance on which to hang my faith. So, when I first heard Eddie Vedder sing the chorus, the 16-year-old me always imagined it as my dead/missing father singing/pleading to me that he was still alive. (A misinterpretation, I know, but that's how I heard it.)

We tried searching for him and his family members a few times in the early 1990s but always hit a wall. Then, in 1998, I got a call from my mother -- she and my grandmother had found him. Not only had they found him, but he was living 45 minutes away from where I was living at the time (Sarasota, Florida) in the town of my birth/conception (St. Petersburg, Florida), no less!

He was still alive!

It was pure coincidence. He and his wife had been living in Grenada, and she needed surgery, so they moved back to the U.S. They were only staying in St. Pete for a while, until she had healed from her surgery, at which time they were planning on moving to the town of his birth in western Pennsylvania.

During that brief window, I met my father for the first time as a 23-year-old man, and we were exactly alike. We looked the same, our mannerisms were the same, we spoke with the same voice, and we liked the same kind of music, with one exception -- he didn't know much about Pearl Jam.

Choking back tears at our first meeting, I told him about the song "Alive" and how I had always imagined it as him speaking to me. He said that he was very interested in hearing the song. I played it for him, and he loved it.

In 1999, he moved up to Pennsylvania, and I moved to Boston. We were farther apart in distance, but we became closer as father and son. We continued to share music, buying/burning each other CDs and exchanging them in the mail or in person -- every time one of us made a trip to visit the other, we always had a few discs to exchange. He really dug Binaural and got what Pearl Jam was up to on that record before I, the longtime fan, did. (I found it off-putting at first.)

I caught the band for the first time in a long time (six years!) on that tour (with Sonic Youth!) and told my dad that even though I was stuck on the lawn at Great Woods -- my 10 Club membership had long expired by then, as I had lived too many years on a student's budget -- Pearl Jam still had the uncanny ability to make it feel like you were close and part of the show. Also, they flat-out rocked my fucking face off!

His health was getting worse -- in addition to the type 1 diabetes that was supposed to kill him before he reached manhood, he was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis -- but he said that he'd like to see them live before he died.

He never got to see that show. I went to see him in a nursing home for the holidays in 2002, knowing that it would likely be the last time; it was.

The next time I saw Pearl Jam was the middle stanza of the Mansfield experiment on July 3, 2003. They opened with "Release." You can imagine how it felt to hearing that song. It was like hearing it for the first time. And when they closed the first encore with "Alive," I felt like things had come full circle. It was an intense night for me, and as hokey as it sounds, I felt my father there with me. (Sept. 29, 2004 during "Man of the Hour," I felt that again.)

I never got to go to my father's funeral or my grandmother's (his mother's) funeral (she was very dear to me) -- they died a few months apart. That family has money, and they seem to think that it's as important to me as it is to them, so they cut off communication and no one got back to me on when the service(s) would be.

It's 10 years later, I have my own family now, and we plan on making a stop to pay our respects to dad and mammo on the way to Chicago. Somehow, I've got to find a way to close that chapter for me while also opening up a chapter for my kids. It won't be easy, but Pearl Jam's music will be there with us throughout it all.

And wherever you've gone... and wherever we might go...
    It don't seem fair...you seemed to like it here...
    Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars

Thanks for sharing that very special and touching, personal story. Amazing
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Release

It always had a special place in my heart but after hearing it live for the first time in Manchester 2012 it became even more important. I was crying like mad, standing there, in Manchester Arena and being able to hear "my" Release... I will NEVER forget that.
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *