Options

*** EV Tour - Detroit Fanviews Here 06/26/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    Great set. Great venue. Drunk idiots. Hate to see "the fans" turn off the musicians.

Also, can someone please PM me a photo of the sign outside the entrance to fox theatre......i think i'm the only one that didnt get a photo of it. Thx!
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    killer show totally blown away. minus the few drunks around us it was great. ill keep the seat location bitching to myself :mrgreen:

that is all
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Did anyone one else feel the Balcony bouncing . ?? :mrgreen:

I thought for sure the place was crashing down !

I know what Ed talks about now when the stage bounces in NYC
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    JasonE wrote:
    I am so jealous of those who got to go to this show. Best set by far. Are you kidding me? And a Mike solo project in the works?!?!
    I believe Eddie was just joking around about this, wasnt he? He said solo tour first, then said a "solo-ing" tour as in when he plays with Pearl Jam.

I dont know, maybe im way off
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,891
    Also, can someone please PM me a photo of the sign outside the entrance to fox theatre......i think i'm the only one that didnt get a photo of it. Thx!

5877469034_6732b35fcb_z.jpg
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    BH198990 wrote:
    Just want to add my .02....
    ... Was just odd to see the 2 different kinds of PJ fans: the inebriated post-frat crowd, and the ones who were living inside the music.

Pretty huge difference between the two, for sure! That he abandoned Arc (loop version) was a huge disappointment and hard not to think the knuckle-heads didn't factor into that. The "un-mic'd" experiment was a fail too due to the dummies who couldn't keep their traps shut during a time that demanded it.

Still great show overall and worth the 4 hr drive from Toronto.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    PeterED wrote:
    BH198990 wrote:
    ... Was just odd to see the 2 different kinds of PJ fans: the inebriated post-frat crowd, and the ones who were living inside the music.

Pretty huge difference between the two, for sure! That he abandoned Arc (loop version) was a huge disappointment and hard not to think the knuckle-heads didn't factor into that. The "un-mic'd" experiment was a fail too due to the dummies who couldn't keep their traps shut during a time that demanded it.

I too was disapointed that Arc was scrapped as that was the one song I really wanted to hear. However it was scrapped so fast that I dont think it had to do with the people yelling.

Maybe Ed was distracted last night as there were 3 miscues. Who knows, but I really dont think it was due to any hecklers.
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    ^ from where I was sitting "The End" seemed to be a tuning issue. Looked like he was trying to get the guitar in tune but just gave up in the end. Another bummer cause I was really hoping to hear that one.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    What an amazing night!! amazing day!! Great party Tom!! great to meet you Dirt, Nixon, Christian, Carissa, Gary, and everyone sitting by us and everyone I met throughout the day.. wonderful people, all of you!! Thank you for playing Detroit Ed!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    PeterED wrote:
    ^ from where I was sitting "The End" seemed to be a tuning issue. Looked like he was trying to get the guitar in tune but just gave up in the end. Another bummer cause I was really hoping to hear that one.

Definitely a tuning issue--he called for Dr. George C. Webb, his guitar tech, who never came because he was retuning the guitar EV had just used.
    "And he still gives his love, he just gives it away."
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    main set reminds me of NJPAC '08 but encores seem kinda weak
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    JB176657JB176657 Posts: 51
    Had a fantastic time with the wife and brother. Fox Theater is a beautiful venue and the sound quality was gorgeous. Strong set list and performance from Ed and Glen both. Fun had by all :)
    Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, VIC 07, Philly night 4 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Pitt 13, Charlottesville 13, Cincinnati 14, St. Louis 14
  • Options
    people are so annoying. yes, these theaters are small and all the seats are good, but the people in the seats in front of you can break a show.

I'm so glad the Chicago shows are during the week. maybe people wont get quite so hammered.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Surprised no Edmund Fitzgerald!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Great set. Great venue. Drunk idiots. Hate to see "the fans" turn off the musicians.

I hesitate to do this for a Pens fan but here are some night shots when all was quiet and all the jammers had gone to bed (or passed out). ;)
    web2.jpg
    web1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtgirlfriendArtgirlfriend Sweet Home Chicago Posts: 32
    This was my first EV solo show and I loved the set list, the venue and Glen Hansard was amazing. Could have done without the jackasses that couldn't shut up when Ed and Glen turned off their mics or lacked patience during moments where Ed was trying to work out technical kinks. We had decent seats (2nd row Gallery), I am short so I appreciated that up in the balcony I could see pretty much see unobstructed the entire time. Highlights for me were Guaranteed, Forever Young, Let My Love Open The Door and Falling Slowly (actually shed a freakin' tear on that one!!). Ed and Glen rocked the Fox, some of the fans sucked but oh well ...had an amazing time anyway! :D
    I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for. - Georgia O'Keeffe

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Artgirlfriend
  • Options
    5877319697_e8d161ae4e_z.jpg

5877319763_45b3dab310_z.jpg
  • Options
    Last night was amazing! I'm new to the fanclub and am very grateful to everyone who organized the preparty. . .it was great! Didn't win anything, but did get to see Chris Chelios come up and check out the bar. And, Cheli's chili was really good!

Loved hearing Glen Hansard telling the story of how Ed contacted him after hearing his band suffered the loss of a fan at a show. Ed told us a similar story in Cincinnati (2006) when the Who called to console Pearl Jam after the incident at Roskilde. What a great man, Ed is! Just being in the same room with him was pure magic. My husband did have to turn around and shut up some idiot behind us that wouldn't stop talking during You're True (one of my new faves). Come on people, when you go to an event like this, just sit and listen, and talk about it later! Our seats were in the balcony and yes, we did feel it bouncing during Hard Sun!

Wish we could have stuck around for the afterparty at Cheli's, but had to drive 4 hours back to Indiana! I will definitely be checking out Glen Hansard because he rocked. . .and I liked when he introduced the slower song he played and said he sometimes plays it as people are coming in, but it gets crushed like a little flower, so he saved it for the last song of his set. What a cool dude!

Thanks for a GREAT time in the motor city Eddie. . .so glad you came!
  • Options
    BEST. CONCERT. EVER. Thank god I have PJ20 to look forward to... I am walking around in a daze after last night. I so wish I had a video of Eddie dueting with Glen on Falling Softly... Incredible.
  • Options
    HoosiersHoosiers Indiana Posts: 189
    Great venue, great show, great setlist. Horrible drunks, horrible Ten Club seats.

Let me get my 10C rant out of the way. Why? Why? Why? Could I have bought seats from the Box Office 10 minutes before the show 15 rows ahead of me? Makes no sense. Also was told that scalpers were selling 10 rows ahead of us for $40. The people next to us have been members since 1996 and were a little disappointed when he learned from someone in the bathroom who joined 3 months ago got 8th row. Row LL sucks at the Fox Theatre by the way!

Positives: Glen Hansard...wow. He has a brand new fan! Ed was amazing, voice was magical. "Falling Slowly" was so good I just wanted to die. I knew the song from the Academy Awards, but you could just hear the people around me murmur things like "wow", "Glen is amazing" and "I'll be buying his stuff." I hope Glen benefits from opening for Eddie because his music is great.

Negatives: Drunks, drunks, drunks. I can handle drunk people, I can't handle "drinking/piss break/drinking/piss break." Some couple went out to get a drink during the first strum of "Immortality"...are these people really this moronic? Nobody could sit still. I make sure I piss before the opening act and I can hold it until after the show. Hated the Arc malfunction. I really wanted to see that. Was hoping for Speed of Sound (circa 2008), the version he played in Hawaii is so much better than PJ's or the cut we heard two years ago.

Does anyone else think that the pump organ song WAS NOT "The Wolf," but more like "The Canyon" in WATER ON THE ROAD? In fact I think that is exactly what it was.

Much different than a Pearl Jam show, and at times I kept saying "god, I wish the band was here to just take it up a notch." For as odd as this sounds, I think watching EV solo, it makes you realize how good of a musician he truly is. Not just a vocalist, but a guitarist/ukuleleist/mandolinist/organist! He is a living legend in the music world.

Wish I was going to Chicago!
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    PeterED wrote:
    BH198990 wrote:

I don't know what was worse during sleepless nights, the fucking idiots whooin' and whistling or the constant shhhhhhhhhh that followed each. A venue that size, you're going to get idiots, it's statistically proven.
  • Options
    KregKreg Posts: 38
    Fucking breathtaking show! Seeing such a great artist at that venue was really a dream come true. Of course, Ed and Glen did not disappoint. We were lucky enough to get a sample of Ed's wine :shock:

When Ed gave the little kid a hug at the end, I thought that was really a nice touch.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Where in the setlist does "Sleepless Nights" fall? was it after Society?
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Where in the setlist does "Sleepless Nights" fall? was it after Society?

No right before it
  • Options
    arhoopsarhoops Posts: 110
    Simply incredible day with Sparky Anderson's number being retired before a Tiger's come from behind win.

And an absolutely breathtaking evening with EV!

Sleepless Nights with Glen is missing from the setlist.

Anyone else want to kill sleeveless tie dye shirt guy?

I had great 10 Club seats--- and I want to point out to people complaining about their seats from 10C... if you recall, they made it clear that tickets were not by senority, and there were know actual sections set aside like normal pearl jam shows... 10 club seats were all just random... so anyone could have been anywhere... stop complaining about it and realize it's a small, intimate venue- you can't be upset. If you didn't like that layout- should have gone through ticketmaster to try guarantee yourselves the perfect seats. People around me weren't 10 club. IT WAS ALL RANDOM!

Thanks Eddie for coming and blowing us all away--- and I am definitely a fan of Glen's now!
    i only own my mind- i am mine.

Detroit 2- 2003, Toledo- 2004, Grand Rapids- 2004, Kitchener- 2005, London- 2005, Hamilton- 2005, Toronto 1- 2006, Toronto 2- 2006, Grand Rapids- 2006. Cleveland- 2006, Detroit- 2006, Lollapalooza- 2007, Mansfield 1- 2008
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Kreg wrote:
    Fucking breathtaking show! Seeing such a great artist at that venue was really a dream come true. Of course, Ed and Glen did not disappoint. We were lucky enough to get a sample of Ed's wine :shock:

When Ed gave the little kid a hug at the end, I thought that was really a nice touch.

oh yeah, that was cute lol

Ed is the man
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    mikepmikep Posts: 290
    man, what a great show. Having been to Boston and Hartford, this was definitely great and had a lovely flow to it wrt setlist and mood.

Indeed only big negative was the drunk yelling which seems to have been quite good otherwise for this tour.

Great view from the balcony though indeed it feels a little distant especially since the balcony is a little more slack at standing up (probably b/c they can't see the first level standing so much more often lol. Then i always feel half guilty when i do stand and nobody joins me (though always a few pockets of people around and it's like we make eye contact and we're like, yeah fuck yea we're standing, damn straight everyone should be standing at this point! So that's always a fun sortof connection with others in the area.

Loved the alternate arc pump organ thing, whatever it was, definitely nice different yet similar. I laughed in my head a bit that Ed looks and sounds a little spooky on that pump organ with the lighting and the vocalizations. A little haunting but great. Hopefully some pics will come out and you'll see what i mean (prolly the lighting and frizzy hair and stuff)

Falling Slowly blew me away. Nailed it.

The sign language girls was a treat to watch too. Watched her for 2-3 songs straight and it was a beautiful experience to get that sort of visual interpretation to go along with the music and words. Tracked her down after the show and gushed a bit at how cool and artful it was and even as i was talking to her she was signing it to someone so that was rather neet.

Venue was friggin lovely too.

lastly, pre and post parties were great. Tom and folks did so well with the raffle and raised the most this tour from what i heard. Just a great job by them. After party was super fun too with the pj singalongs, and a few of us went to watch the crew play baseball next door. Was too far to recognize anyone but sounds like some people got the visual confirmation. Looks like i missed ed and co after the baseball by a few mins as they came to the bar and went to the top patio. Fun night all around!!

mike p
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    Jokertt wrote:

We were sitting right underneath it and thought we were gonna die, haha! It was crazy how it was bouncing!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    silver39 wrote:
    Jokertt wrote:

We were sitting right underneath it and thought we were gonna die, haha! It was crazy how it was bouncing!

I thought for sure we were all going to be on the news for the balcony collapse . lol :lol::lol:

I never even thought you could see it below . im shocked more people didn't add this part to the show . i was freaked out .
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    Ed mentioned something about a Mike solo tour last night. I'm not sure if he was being serious or not.

Fantastic show!

Sleepless Nights is missing from the set list. It was a nice version without mics that was interrupted by drunken idiots on a few occasions.