Options

Been away for awhile, but what is this Showbox/Target talk?

Comments

• Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Have you not been angry before then? Past partnerships have included:

AOL
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Ticketmaster

Do you just hate Target? :D
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Have you not been angry before then? Past partnerships have included:

AOL
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Ticketmaster

Do you just hate Target? :D

What about Sony?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited June 2009
    Zoso wrote:
    I THINK I speak to most 'bigger' PJ fans ...

'Bigger'????? What is a 'bigger' fan?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    ponner1us wrote:
    I agree, fan since '92(since seeing them at Lollapalooza) and going on 15+ shows.

Well, that makes you a "Super Fan" and entitled to dictate how the band handles their operations and business.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    Censored for having an opinion, NICE! :( :?:
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    redrock wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

what you didn't know there are varing degrees of fan? obviously you are low on the scale for not knowing this :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

Stupid. That's what it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    norm wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

what you didn't know there are varing degrees of fan? obviously you are low on the scale for not knowing this :lol::lol::lol:

I don't know... 'big' could be taken in all sorts of ways.... is the 170kg fan a 'bigger' fan than the 75kg one? I would say yes....

See.. I like 'superfan'... that has a certain 'ring' to it.... 'super' like in superhero, etc... I like that better than 'bigger'.. that just seems well.. fat.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555

Stupid. That's what it is.

+1
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    redrock wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I think its over 5'8" for females and over 6'2" for males if I recall that section of the PJ fan handbook corrctly.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I think its over 5'8" for females and over 6'2" for males if I recall that section of the PJ fan handbook corrctly.

You got your sections mixed up... that is in 'taller' fans.... but then again... that doesn't sound very good either.
  • Options
    idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 366
    redrock wrote:
    norm wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I don't know... 'big' could be taken in all sorts of ways.... is the 170kg fan a 'bigger' fan than the 75kg one? I would say yes....

More to love!!! :lol:

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

You got your sections mixed up... that is in 'taller' fans.... but then again... that doesn't sound very good either.
    Yeah maybe, that damned handbook is harder to follow than the Book of Vitalogy.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I don't mean bigger is better.. I mean someone who devoted more time to this board or spends more money going to more shows. PJ fanboys in other words I didn't mean to be a negative comment. I guess someone who has followed PJ through ticketmaster etc would be disappointed if this goes ahead.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    I think I'm bigger, 6'2", and yes, I am super.

Can't we all just get along? :D:lol:
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    I don't mean bigger is better.. I mean someone who devoted more time to this board or spends more money going to more shows. PJ fanboys in other words I didn't mean to be a negative comment. I guess someone who has followed PJ through ticketmaster etc would be disappointed if this goes ahead.
    I don't know. I've been a fan since the beginning, thought the TM battle was noble but knew it was unwinnable. I don't care if the sell the new disc through Target. I might be a tad put off if they used their music to sell other products at Target like "Evenflow" for the baby department ("Evenflow...milk arrives when baby cries..."), but using a big retailer to help market and distribute their music doesn't bother me.
    Its similar to the U2 ipod thing in 2004, people called them sellouts, never checking facts that they didn't take any money for the ads and merely were promoting their catalog with it. Not much different than a billboard for a new album or a late night TV commercial (which we've all seen for PJ), just trying to get the product known by those who don't spend their free time on this website.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Poncier wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    I don't know. I've been a fan since the beginning, thought the TM battle was noble but knew it was unwinnable. I don't care if the sell the new disc through Target. I might be a tad put off if they used their music to sell other products at Target like "Evenflow" for the baby department ("Evenflow...milk arrives when baby cries..."), but using a big retailer to help market and distribute their music doesn't bother me.
    Its similar to the U2 ipod thing in 2004, people called them sellouts, never checking facts that they didn't take any money for the ads and merely were promoting their catalog with it. Not much different than a billboard for a new album or a late night TV commercial (which we've all seen for PJ), just trying to get the product known by those who don't spend their free time on this website.

Do you recall how Pearl Jam were savaged by their fans for the Ticketmaster fight when they tried to do a tour without TM? People complained and complained they couldn't get tickets or the venues were bad or, or or... It was brutal. I sometimes wonder how many people, if any, remember that?

That's all...it was just on my mind today.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    I remember, and I supported them in their fight. Rock on!
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Kat wrote:
    Do you recall how Pearl Jam were savaged by their fans for the Ticketmaster fight when they tried to do a tour without TM? People complained and complained they couldn't get tickets or the venues were bad or, or or... It was brutal. I sometimes wonder how many people, if any, remember that?

I thought the system worked ok actually. I think PJ got royally screwed by their friends in other major bands who refused to join them. From what I remember my friends and I were glad they were taking on that issue and the Randall's Island venue I saw them in was good (though would now be a safety issue since Roskilde). I think about the TM/Congress/PJ thing very frequently.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Kat wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

Kat... that's definitely a valid point. I'm sure the facts are on their way, so I hope this appearance is deceiving.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

Absoulutely, it was hard to find decent venues not under Ticketmaster's control, and of course fans then blamed the band cause they were'nt playing at the local place right in the heart of the city etc.
    They were in a no win situation. (which may be the case now in terms of marketing/seliing new music.)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Kat wrote:

I remember the nightmare of calling for tickets during the No Code tour and then having to get seats through a scalper. I also knew a lot of people that were pissed they had to try and get tickets that way.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

I thought the system worked ok actually. I think PJ got royally screwed by their friends in other major bands who refused to join them. From what I remember my friends and I were glad they were taking on that issue and the Randall's Island venue I saw them in was good (though would now be a safety issue since Roskilde). I think about the TM/Congress/PJ thing very frequently.
    Not for nothing, but Downing Stadium was a dump, and traffic was brutal getting out of there.
    Great show by the band though.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Pearl Jam could release this album at "Jimmys Chicken and Rib Shack" and i would be first in line...

all you fuckers complaining, while maintaining a library of 10,000 songs shared on the internet for free are funny... maybe the band should just give you the album for free and tour for free... i mean, why do they need to make $ right? :roll:
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Poncier wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Not for nothing, but Downing Stadium was a dump, and traffic was brutal getting out of there.

Downing is indeed a dump. I've worked shows there. However, the experience was worth the lack of a traditional venue. PJ can play other "field shows" if they wanted to. It takes a bit of setup, but that is offset by the lack of traditional venue expenses to some degree. I think PJ took it as far as they could without substantial help from their musician friends.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    Zoso wrote:

Why are you disapointed?

Does possibly using Target to distribute their new album -since they are no longer under the Sony blanket- have anything to do with Ticketmaster?

If I remember correctly, Ticketmaster was ripping ticket buyers off and that is why Pearl Jam went up against them.

BP Amico was dumping crap in Lake Michigan and that is why they spoke out against them.

Were you angry all those years ago that Pearl Jam was essentially making records for SONY CORPORATION?

This doesn't change anything.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    Kat wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I hear ya, and understand the chaos from that time and their need to relent on the fight...My only question is if the band will soon be going against EVERYTHING they have stood for for the past 20 years...and here's hoping the answer is NO
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Poncier wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

I loved that show in the rain...I don't think I saw anyone leaving either. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Kat wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

I never savaged them, but I never joined the fan club for a bunch of years later than I should have because of the fact there were no non-tm venues at the time in Philly. I figured if they weren't going to play here why should I join. And there are a lot of people in Philly who were like that which explains whenever you look at touring fans you see a ton of Philly people who joined around the time of the 98 and 2000 tours.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    I hear ya, and understand the chaos from that time and their need to relent on the fight...My only question is if the band will soon be going against EVERYTHING they have stood for for the past 20 years...and here's hoping the answer is NO

What if they do have a 'deal' with Target? Before jumping to all these conclusions and putting the 'business' bit to the side at the moment, let's look at the choice of Target (compared to say, Walmart), how they stand amongst other corporations - ethically, philantrophically (is that even a word?), environmentally, charitably, etc.

Some of you may be very surprised at what you may 'discover'. There are worse corporations to make deals with. There is also a thread regarding the music industry (article written by Duff McKagan) which gives a bit of insight on how things work now.