Options

New Pearl Jam Album .. has been heard! :)

Comments

• Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    einatshaul wrote:
    Wait, who the hell is this person and why does HE get dibbs??? He doesn't write that well at all!!!

I agree - I don't even know what the hell the point is, except that "its promising"...whatever.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I wouldn't get too excited. Each of the last 3 albums has had the "hardest rocking since vs" or "best since yield" moniker. And honestly, you could say s/t was their best since Yield... and you could be right... but that doesn't mean it's a particularly great album. I'm always pretty skeptical when I read claims like this. As you acknowledge, it doesn't give much info unless you know the guy's tastes, ie. why didn't he like the last few and why does he like Yield?

This is exactly my interest in qualifying the guy's tastes. Does anyone know his track record? Does he prefer mellow stuff or harder rocking stuff? Over produced or stripped down? Has he ever given Creed or Nickelback a favorable review? Etc... The ultimate reason is... Why should readers care what this guy thinks if he has terrible tastes or irrelevant opinions? Why should his opinion carry any weight with anyone who reads his review?

Just a thought... It would seem that if PJ are hand picking journalists to review the new album, then the smart thing to do from a marketing perspective would be to pick ones sympathetic towards their work (or at least ones with whom they've had good working relationships with in the past).
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    The blog has been updated....

"the record is my favourite in years (since Yield at least)"
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
    I reckon this is just a complete load of rubbish

This person has not heard the album. And their blog is utter crap.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    THIS IS WHAT I CALL R U M O R S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It's been established that this guy is legit^^^ :roll:
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525

next time, take the time to read through the entire thread before making the above post, which is essentially a complete load of rubbish given the facts,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think it's safe to assume this album isn't complete yet....and if that's true, any leads Mike may have probably havent been mixed in yet.

IMO
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    All early sign point to the album being pretty uptempo for the most part. I think the rolling stone article gives a litttle more insight that this.

from RS-
    " Pearl Jam are carrying through with the punchy, melodic energy of their last album. One song, a garage-y composition by Vedder, repeats the lyric "see my friends" over Stooges-meet-the-Who power chords and loose. Johnny Thunders-inspired lead guitar from Mike McCready. Another tune, penned by drummer Matt Cameron, is a bigger surprise: it's sleek power pop, with a Stones-y intro riff-leading into a tight, chiming verse and a catchy vocal melody that wouldn't be out of place on a Kings of Leon record. "That could have been a seven-minute, weird, sideways kind of artsy song with a cool groove," Vedder says. "I thinkered with it after everyone left, and we shrunk it down and turned into somethig else... I'm thinking about set lists: 'Will this be a song we'll play every night?'"
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    100 Pacer wrote:

next time, take the time to read through the entire thread before making the above post, which is essentially a complete load of rubbish given the facts,...
    That is what I call getting told.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    I think it's safe to assume this album isn't complete yet....and if that's true, any leads Mike may have probably havent been mixed in yet.

IMO
    Word on the street is that the album is already passed it's final mixing stage.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    gobrowns19 wrote:

IMO
    Word on the street is that the album is already passed it's final mixing stage.

Yeah, and why is it so hard to believe that there's hardly any Mike leads. Vitalogy-Binaural was pretty short on solos and we all love those albums. Plus BO'b has made some pretty layered albums with PJ and others.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    As if any of us would not buy the album because of a review ,it could read Ed just snores thru the 1st 6 songs and everyone here would buy it on the 1st day me included :lol::lol::lol: :oops:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Yeah. I have a friend, whose uncle's best friend's sister's ex-boyfriend's stepbrother's dad, who knows a guy who was talking to another guy at a coffee house in Long Beach, CA. Well, as it turns out, the barista at this coffee house, her long-time lesbian lover's dog groomer knows a guy who knows a roadie who then knows a kid who got an advance copy of the new album. He mailed it over to me and I got a chance to hear it. It's kicks ass!!
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    that is true.........self titled was supposed to be back to "true form", but I think riot act and binaural were excellent myself
  • Options
    No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    Hinn wrote:
    I hope this album is 12 songs that sound exactly like Santa Cruz, all named after towns in California.

Santa Cruz
    Santa Barbara
    Santa Clara
    San Dimas
    San Luis Obispo

It will be great!
    San Dimas, featuring Wyld Stallyns would just be amazingly awesome.

Not just amazingly awesome, but . . . MOST TRIUMPHANT !!!!!!!!!! :lol:
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    the record is my favourite in years (since 'Yield' at least),

Makes sense as it's the first Album Pearl Jam have done with Brendan O'Brien since Yield, the best Pearl Jam albums were produced by Brendan (Vs. Vitalogy, No Code, Yield).
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Whoa..
    Now that's a game changer!!!

Saying that this album is his "Favorite since Yield" makes this excruciating wait for this goddamn album to drop even harder.

I mean, how in the Holy Skateboarding Jesus Christ are we expected to sit around and wait patiently until
    "Sometime In The Late Fall" with this kind of talk being tossed around?

This is borderline cruelty to all of us devoted fiends.

If this album is even half the size of "Yield" I'm surely going to have to commit to the fact that 2010 is going to be and expensive and grueling year of following this goddamn band all over hells half acre.

It's like 1998 all over again.

Shit.

great post, and exactly my thoughts

oh and Binaural is good but I have to agree its not a patch on the self titled. which despite the haters is a great record, and in my humble opinion the best thing since Yield, so to think this new thing can be the best since Yield makes me grin from ear to ear.
  • Options
    SpinningBombsSpinningBombs Posts: 270
    This news is all really exciting. Getting to hear new songs on June 1st, this reviewer's early thoughts...

"Best since Yield"...well, I always though that Self Titled (Avocado) was their best since Yield- in fact, I sort of see it as a compliment to Yield in some senses (ie- Marker in the Sand). Let's see what this new album does, because if it has the same energy as "Avocado," plus the production value/music tweaking prowess of BOB, we may be in for another classic album here...
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    sounds like hogwash to me
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i hate NME. why have they got him in their warehouse? theyve never been particularly nice about PJ before as far as i know? :|
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    PJMosquito wrote:
    This news is all really exciting. Getting to hear new songs on June 1st, this reviewer's early thoughts...

"Best since Yield"...well, I always though that Self Titled (Avocado) was their best since Yield- in fact, I sort of see it as a compliment to Yield in some senses (ie- Marker in the Sand). Let's see what this new album does, because if it has the same energy as "Avocado," plus the production value/music tweaking prowess of BOB, we may be in for another classic album here...

My feelings exactly.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Whats the big deal with Santa Cruz and Golden gate? They really arn't good songs...

Ummmmm - how did you guys play these songs? By some chance, I don't own a record player... :cry:
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Whats the big deal with Santa Cruz and Golden gate? They really arn't good songs...

Ummmmm - how did you guys play these songs? By some chance, I don't own a record player... :cry:

http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/

go to the May 13th blog posting. i think it's also here:
    http://www.gremmie.net/bsides/
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I BrisK I wrote:

The Internet is your friend.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    L O L

Thank you kindly.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    JordyWordy wrote:
    i hate NME. why have they got him in their warehouse? theyve never been particularly nice about PJ before as far as i know? :|

this is a very valid comment, NME sucks, its fucking shit, and champions the trendy drug using tosser of today rather than anything worth listening to.

I recall they gave Advocado a real wank write up (like Q did with their shitty 1 star review - and I dont think from reading that they'd even played the record as not one comment was made on its music) and the NME slammed PJ's headline slot at Leeds fest in 2006 as boring and a lowlight of the weekend- Rock for your grandad I recall with too much 'guitar wanking'.

and they invite them out to their warehouse. Does begger belief really. Now Kerrang is a bit lame these days but at l;east they still have an ear for good current rock music, and they awarded avocado 5 full stars and lauded the praise on.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,340
    Thanks for your email - sorry for any delay getting back to you. Ionly got back from Seattle yesterday, so I'm very, very tired. RE: Pearl Jam on my blog - well, the post is actually back up therenow, but I did take it down for a day or so. The bands 'people' (whoare really lovely) asked me to. They thought it was too early forpeople to be finding out about the new record (it's not due to bereleased until September after all) so I was quite respectful of that.My blogs (really not very informative first listen report) had beenpicked up by people all over the globe and I think they were worriedthings were leaking out too quickly - press people, in my experience,don't like not being in control of the flow of information. Which isunderstandable I guess... ... If it was 1802! I put it back up yesterday. This is because Ithink that, if you're a fan of a band - whatever band - then fans wantto know... stuff... about that band. If I've heard the record, as ajournalist, I've got a duty to stick stuff out there. Also, theinternet has changed everything. Things shouldn't revolve aroundrelease dates anymore. Press people can't control the flow ofinformation anymore, and it's unrealistic of them to ask - howevernice they are! It's not as if I've saying anything other than it's areally good record, y'know! Hope that helps anyway. James ps - I heard the entire record, which is twelve songs - I think!pps - The interview will be in a future issue of NME (www.nme.com).I'll post on my blog when it's due to run. <scottkob@hotmail.com> wrote:>> Why did you remove your article about listening to Pearl Jam's new album?> I'm guessing at the request of band management??? Also, are you going to> post any details about the interview you did with the band? Oh and one more> thing. How many songs did you hear?> ________________________________> Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how. -- www.myspace.com/hearyoumemagazinehttp:/ ... ogspot.com
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    interesting post. thanks for sharing.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    Hi fellow fans....to all those TenClubbers who read this article and are actually from the US...as an Irishman who regularly reads the British music press...Pearl Jam really have no standing in British Press...theyre looked upon as that band who had a hit years ago called Alive and had 2 great albums and disappeared from the planet.....thats where the "cock rock" statement comes from...its such a blind press over there (dont get me wrong there are some well informed fantastic writers) but in the main, its pretty shambolic...full of fads and bands that are gonna be the next best thing and then fall apart...then they champion these unknown indie acts like The Killers and Arcade Fire and then when these bands break through they call them "sell outs"....The NME used to be cutting edge...to me and many others...its now a bit of a sham...Pearl Jam's reviews of the last few albums and dvds have been atrocious...i particularly remember an awful piece that reviewed "madison sq dvd"....trust me they just don't get it...I for one am happy about it in some respects because when I go see Pearl Jam, I know im there with PJ fans....you go see Coldplay, 50% go home after "yellow"....I say "good riddance"...

I come in peace....