Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629

Has anyone tried Left Hand's Extrovert IPA?

It's my new favorite. (Sorry if it's been brought up in the past, I'm just getting into the thread now)

Extrovert & Space Dust IPA from Elysian are the two best beers I discovered in the last 8 months or so.

I wish they sold SD in New England, but not as of yet.

Both are amazing, and go down WAY too easily considering their ABVs.

Elysian, also AB inbev beer.
    They got bought out too?!?
    Yeah. A year or two ago.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    edited April 2017

Has anyone tried Left Hand's Extrovert IPA?

It's my new favorite. (Sorry if it's been brought up in the past, I'm just getting into the thread now)

Extrovert & Space Dust IPA from Elysian are the two best beers I discovered in the last 8 months or so.

I wish they sold SD in New England, but not as of yet.

Both are amazing, and go down WAY too easily considering their ABVs.

Elysian, also AB inbev beer.
    They got bought out too?!?
    Yup
    Here's a year old article about breweries bought by in-bev...

https://consumerist.com/2016/04/13/here-are-the-8-u-s-craft-brewers-bought-by-anheuser-busch-since-2011/
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I don't mind AB InBev and MillerCoors making deals with craft brewers as long as it's for distribution and they allow the craft brewers to maintain the integrity of the brews.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746

I don't mind AB InBev and MillerCoors making deals with craft brewers as long as it's for distribution and they allow the craft brewers to maintain the integrity of the brews.

Unfortunately the integrity of the brews hasn't remained the same. At least for Goose Island. 312 and Green Line are garbage now compared to what they used to be.
  • Options

Unfortunately the integrity of the brews hasn't remained the same. At least for Goose Island. 312 and Green Line are garbage now compared to what they used to be.
    Yeah, I used to love both. Now I couldn't successfully take the Pepsi challenge with 312 against Shock Top. I've never been able to find Green Line here in Maryland, but it was one of my favorites when I visited Chitown.
  • Options

Yeah, I used to love both. Now I couldn't successfully take the Pepsi challenge with 312 against Shock Top. I've never been able to find Green Line here in Maryland, but it was one of my favorites when I visited Chitown.
    Yeah, green line used to be available on tap only around Chicago, but they recently started putting it in cans and bottles....it is not good.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

I've been to the Magic Hat brewery once since it was bought out, and I was incredibly disappointed in the selection of beers. In years past they would have 4-5 beers I loved, this last time they had all of 1 beer that I liked.

Maybe I'm too finicky, maybe it has nothing to do with having been bought out, but it was a lousy experience. (the staff sucked too, when in years past they were super friendly & accommodating)
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    Got 2 bombers and a 4 pack of KBS today.

As was mentioned earlier, Zombie Dust is literally like crack. Now, I say that having never tried crack, but you get the point. The closest I've found to this was Simcoerella from One Well Brewery in Southeast Kalamazoo, MI.

If you're ever in the Northwest Indiana/Northeast Illinois/Southwest Michigan area, my top 5 breweries are:

1. Three Floyd's (Munster, IN)
    2. One Trick Pony (Lansing, IL)
    3. Greenbush (Sawyer, MI)
    4. Burn Em' (Michigan City, IN)
    5. Haymarket (Bridgeman, MI)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Stopped by Finback yesterday to pick up my mixed sampler and to my surprise they had a new BA on the counter!!!
  • Options
    Zombie Dust fresh out of the tap at FFF!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

That is awesome. I haven't had any in a couple months...may have to go on the hunt for it this weekend.
  • Options

That is awesome. I haven't had any in a couple months...may have to go on the hunt for it this weekend.
    I'm telling you, I'll buy it bottled out the door the same day it is bottled....better than when it's even 5 days old. On tap at the brewery itself...legit addiction. So fucking good!
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    edited April 2017

My last can of Cloudwater dipa v13. Happy and sad at the same time. And quite badly poured too =)
    Post edited by rw160510 on
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    edited April 2017
    Double post
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I enjoyed the latest Stone Enjoy By IPA yesterday. Very tasty.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jim Koch of Sam Adams spoke out recently against all the acquisitions of small breweries.

https://www.boston.com/news/business/2017/04/09/samuel-adams-founder-jim-koch-says-lax-government-oversight-could-kill-american-craft-beer
  • Options
    Sam Adams sucks. Porch Rocker is about the only thing halfway decent they make.
  • Options

Agreed, I used to love the Noble Pils, but I've moved on to beers w/ more flavor.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547

Tried some "Hopscape" recently. They need to take the word "hops" out of the name.
    Absolutely tasteless.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287

Their Rebel IPA's aren't bad
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Their White Christmas is fantastic, Oktoberfest is really good too but they are seasonal.

Try the Utopia if you have the money.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Their White Christmas is fantastic, Oktoberfest is really good too but they are seasonal.

Try the Utopia if you have the money.
    Agree with the White Christmas.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

I can only stomach a few certain IPA's. Most of them taste like earwax to me. Not that I've tasted earwax but if earwax has a taste, I'm gonna guess an IPA is pretty close. It's like all the brewers got in this contest to see who could make the most face-cringing, bitter-tasting beer.
  • Options

Agreed. Sam Adams is garbage. I've never had any Sam Adams beer that I really liked....don't get how they are so huge.
  • Options

I can only stomach a few certain IPA's. Most of them taste like earwax to me. Not that I've tasted earwax but if earwax has a taste, I'm gonna guess an IPA is pretty close. It's like all the brewers got in this contest to see who could make the most face-cringing, bitter-tasting beer.
    Take your pinky and put the tip of it in your ear hole, be sure not to go too deep for fear of puncturing your eardrum. In a circular motion move your pinky around in your ear for a few seconds. Pull finger out and immediately into mouth and suck on your pinky as if it were a tootsie roll lollipop.

THAT is what earwax tastes like...
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    I like how the new thing is to shit on IPAs because everyone makes one now.
  • Options

I will say this. I haven't had one since Sculpin that knocked my sox off.

I am a huge fan of all the BA (Barrel Aging) that is out there. It's nice to be able to let a beer sit and age it!
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I will say this. I haven't had one since Sculpin that knocked my sox off.

I am a huge fan of all the BA (Barrel Aging) that is out there. It's nice to be able to let a beer sit and age it!
    I could suggest a few that make Sculpin taste weak (in my opinion).

I like the BA beers...as long as they aren't too boozy. I want to taste the beer, not the alcohol.

I've been drinking more Farmhouse & Gose Style beers lately. But I just opened up Oakshire's Citrafonix IPA for a bit of a change & it's pretty damn good.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    Sierra Nevada's Tropical Torpedo is pretty good. Had a 6 pack of that for Masters Sunday

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/251571/
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Sierra Nevada's Tropical Torpedo is pretty good. Had a 6 pack of that for Masters Sunday

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/251571/

that is good....been impressed withe their beers lately. Big fan of the Otra Vez. So damn tasty.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com