Options

Are You Comfortable With Your Self Image??

2»

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    What do you really mean by the phrase "self-image" anyway?

Do you mean "Are you happy with the way you look?" or do you mean "Do you think you appear the way you feel?"

What question are you really asking? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    bee_boy wrote:

Someone should start a "101 ways to make her orgasm" thread :P

i'd settle for 1 way!!
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    As far as the original question. No. Mine sucks. Sometimes my chronic self loathing really flares up. Right now its white hot.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    this might help for some people :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TucBqL_huE0

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    pinot - agreed, very much so.

The bump is apropos given the timeline from the initial post to now.  Seems most ARE about image, and "look at me!".  Perhaps not their own image of themselves, but how others' opinions form it, influence it?  How some want to be seen?

If, when looking in a mirror, all you can see is the physical...you might be missing out on the most valuable parts of yourself.

Comes down mostly to the eyes, ironically - they see, but also reflect.  Looking into your own eyes (plus those of others) can be quite, well, eye-opening.

"To be yourself is all that you can do" - and be open to change, improvement, know the difference between the sincere and the sycophants.

We all fuck up, sometime royally.  Just try to learn from that shit and be a decent person.

I've had this in my home since the time I bought my home - a gift from my father, and quite perfect.  It keeps my sometimes-skewed views of myself in perspective.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    norm said:
    I can honestly say, even the phrase "self image" is anathema to me. It seems so solipsistic. I'll have a bath and brush my teeth, and change my underpants and socks, but hygiene aside, I don't give a shite about stuff like image.

+1
    Same here, although I do sometimes think about how other people are perceiving me. My self-image is just fine.... are other people fine with my image?? I dunno! It's not so much that I care if they aren't, but more like I wish I could see myself through other people's eyes to see if my view and theirs are similar or WAY off. I guess I find the idea that others' perceptions of me and my perception of myself being completely different a little bit unsettling. If they are very different, wouldn't that mean that nobody gets me? But yeah, if I'm just talking about how I feel when I look at myself in the mirror, I feel fine because I really don't give a crap. I am just me, and I'm not trying to create an image to make myself anything else; it's all superficial assuming hygiene is kept up and as long as I stay polite enough to fit my appearance to the appropriate occasions (i.e. don't show up to someone's wedding in sweat pants, lol).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    I'm not all that worried about the image in the mirror.  I do the best I can and then get on with they day.  Since I hit my mid 60's though, sometimes I get up in the AM, go to pee, see myself walking by the mirror and think, good lord man, you look like shit.

I'm more self aware about how I present myself in terms of personality.  I always feel like I could do better.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    I'm also wondering what the OP meant by "self-image." I'm pretty happy with myself as a human being; there's always room to improve, but I make an effort to do the right thing. If we're talking about appearance, that's another matter.

I would like to be valued for my personality and whatever abilities I have, but, as a woman, I feel as if my value is more closely tied to my appearance. I've never been pretty. My husband disagrees on that point, but I've had enough men stop me on the street to tell me how ugly I am that I know I am, let's say, an acquired taste. I'd like to be able to not give a rat's ass about that; it's not my job to look pretty for you, after all. But it's an uphill battle.   
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I'm also wondering what the OP meant by "self-image." I'm pretty happy with myself as a human being; there's always room to improve, but I make an effort to do the right thing. If we're talking about appearance, that's another matter.

I would like to be valued for my personality and whatever abilities I have, but, as a woman, I feel as if my value is more closely tied to my appearance. I've never been pretty. My husband disagrees on that point, but I've had enough men stop me on the street to tell me how ugly I am that I know I am, let's say, an acquired taste. I'd like to be able to not give a rat's ass about that; it's not my job to look pretty for you, after all. But it's an uphill battle.   
    Any guy who would say something to you even remotely close to that is less than a piece of dirt.  They are the ugly ones, by far. 

My wife sometimes makes comments like, "You didn't marry me for my looks".  She may not "qualify" for some stupid glam magazine cover but so what!  I think she's beautiful and she has a beautiful soul and I'm a very lucky man.   I'm glad your husband is the good guy he is to acknowledge you own beauty.  Good man!

"Beauty" is so distorted by our culture and media any way.  We're all better off not buying into that nonsense.  Our culture says you have to be young and skinny to be beautiful.  Well, that may be so in some cases, but what a ridiculous, narrow-minded gauge of beauty. There is beauty in all types of people, men and women of all shapes, ages, races, and colors. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Well said, Brian. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    brianlux said:

Any guy who would say something to you even remotely close to that is less than a piece of dirt.  They are the ugly ones, by far. 

My wife sometimes makes comments like, "You didn't marry me for my looks".  She may not "qualify" for some stupid glam magazine cover but so what!  I think she's beautiful and she has a beautiful soul and I'm a very lucky man.   I'm glad your husband is the good guy he is to acknowledge you own beauty.  Good man!

"Beauty" is so distorted by our culture and media any way.  We're all better off not buying into that nonsense.  Our culture says you have to be young and skinny to be beautiful.  Well, that may be so in some cases, but what a ridiculous, narrow-minded gauge of beauty. There is beauty in all types of people, men and women of all shapes, ages, races, and colors. 

Thank you, Brian. You sound like a pretty good man, yourself. [And, yes, I married well. :-)  ]
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Thank you, Brian. You sound like a pretty good man, yourself. [And, yes, I married well. :-)  ]
    Excellent!  :plus_one:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Y'alls some shecksy mother and father fuckers round here.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    rgambs said:
    Is that how babies are made?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    Is that how babies are made?
    Yes it is, tempo.
    *pats head*

=)