will ferrell SUCKS!!!

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    He was great on SNL. Has had some really good movies like Old School, Anchorman, Stepbrothers. The rest of it is just OK
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    a lucky mother fucker....I'm jealous....but Bob Newhart could kick his comedy ass.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited March 2015
    I thought Stranger Than Fiction was good. He played kind of a straight goofy guy. Never understood the love for Anchorman. Most of his stuff isn't my bag. A co-worker went to highschool with him. Said he was a funny guy.

I thought Stranger Than Fiction was good. He played kind of a straight goofy guy. Never understood the love for Anchorman. Most of his stuff isn't my bag. A co-worker went to highschool with him. Said he was a funny guy.

He probably was....but he's a USC fanboy....so, fuck him.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Will ferral is funny. This thread is dumb.

u spelt his name wrong.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    imalive said:

u spelt his name wrong.

If you have to explain the joke, it's just not as funny!!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Not a fan of the guy.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    I can feel it down in my plums!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPp4dgmrc8
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Ferrell is strange with me.

I don't really like his comedy. I think he just uses the same bag of 2-4 mannerisms that he just falls back on and also his characters are very similar.

But I guess sometimes they work and sometime they don't with me.
    I don't get the love for Anchorman. I don't like it at all.

Old School and Semi-Pro though I thought were good.

Ballad of Ricky Bobby is unwatchable.

His battle of the drummers with Chad Smith was funny. His baseball stunt recently came off as annoying.

Overall he annoys me. Probably because his mannerisms are so easily mimicked and so many people do it and also believe that they themselves are also funny. But it all kind of sucks to me.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    I liked him on SNL and in Zoolander and Elf....but that's about it. And there's no one that can make me switch off Letterman/Fallon/Kimmel/Conan faster than him. He's always trying too hard or dresses up as some stupid, unfunny character. He was dressed as Little Debbie on one of the shows earlier this week but I can't remember which one cause I flipped the channel so fast.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    eddiec said:

I can feel it down in my plums!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPp4dgmrc8

This was the only thing I ever thought he was funny in....
    and he's ripping off Ric Flair

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    one of the funniest guys out there.... every time i watch stepbrothers i lose it.

got to give him props for staying in character when doing his skits.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Question for Will Ferrell haters: Do you think Ferrell sucks as an actor or as a comedian? As a comedian, I can't say he is my favorite. Some of his comedic work I like, a lot doesn't work for me. But I certainly wouldn't say he "SUCKS!!!", that's too rude and uncalled for in my opinion (but some people think I "SUCK!!!" so what do I know, haha!). But for those of you who don't like his humor, what about some of his dramatic work like "Everything Must Go", "Stranger Than Fiction", "Winter Passing", "Melinda and Melinda"? Hard to imagine not liking some or all of those.

If you mean you don't like a certain aspect of someone's work, say so instead of making a blanket statement. And to my way of thinking, saying someone who has done you no harm "SUCKS!!!"... well that kind of sucks doesn't it?.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I just don't find him funny.
    Not my type of humour.
    I lean more toward Hunter S Thompson.. darker jokes.
    Larry David, Chapelle, etc.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    MayDay10 said:

Ferrell is strange with me.

I don't really like his comedy. I think he just uses the same bag of 2-4 mannerisms that he just falls back on and also his characters are very similar.

But I guess sometimes they work and sometime they don't with me.
    I don't get the love for Anchorman. I don't like it at all.

Old School and Semi-Pro though I thought were good.

Ballad of Ricky Bobby is unwatchable.

His battle of the drummers with Chad Smith was funny. His baseball stunt recently came off as annoying.

Overall he annoys me. Probably because his mannerisms are so easily mimicked and so many people do it and also believe that they themselves are also funny. But it all kind of sucks to me.

Pretty much with this. Not a fan of shticks in general (probably would toss Steve Carell into the mix too - a bit much "one (or two) trick pony" for me).

brianlux said:

Question for Will Ferrell haters: Do you think Ferrell sucks as an actor or as a comedian? As a comedian, I can't say he is my favorite. Some of his comedic work I like, a lot doesn't work for me. But I certainly wouldn't say he "SUCKS!!!", that's too rude and uncalled for in my opinion (but some people think I "SUCK!!!" so what do I know, haha!). But for those of you who don't like his humor, what about some of his dramatic work like "Everything Must Go", "Stranger Than Fiction", "Winter Passing", "Melinda and Melinda"? Hard to imagine not liking some or all of those.

If you mean you don't like a certain aspect of someone's work, say so instead of making a blanket statement. And to my way of thinking, saying someone who has done you no harm "SUCKS!!!"... well that kind of sucks doesn't it?.

I'm sticking with my assessment :lol:

May Day had the right word....annoying.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Old School is one of my all time favourite movies. I've never understood the love for Anchorman. Ricky Bobby was hilarious. Elf is also another one of my faves. His lip sync battle doing Beyonce made my gut hurt. On SNL he was great.

Sometimes he comes off as trying too hard instead of just being normal and having some funny parts thrown in. And some of his movies have been downright stinkers. that's the life of a comedic actor. Look at Jim Carrey. the guy is a comic genius, and even his dramatic roles have been good, but many of his movies call for him to do the same one-trick "al-RIGHTY-then" pony.

To the OP: it's interesting, as I agree with all of your "likes" with regards to other movies and comedians. Except Will. His new movie with Kevin Hart has been universally panned though. It looks bad.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited March 2015
    brianlux said:

I think if one 'hates' Ferrell, they are not likely to watch *any* of his work, stand-up or acting. He's like Jim Carrey, or Adam Sandler, either you like them or you don't.
    I found him to be annoying on SNL, so I rarely watched any of his other stuff.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I have not been able to maintain interest in most of his movies, but I have to say I thought the Ricky Bobby movie had some really funny scenes. I loved him on SNL too.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    RKCNDY said:

brianlux said:

I think if one 'hates' Ferrell, they are not likely to watch *any* of his work, stand-up or acting. He's like Jim Carrey, or Adam Sandler, either you like them or you don't.
    I found him to be annoying on SNL, so I rarely watched any of his other stuff.

I agree as far as his SNL stuff goes- annoying is a good way to put it. But seriously, check out some of his non-comedy stuff- you might be surprised how good they are. I was surprised by how much I liked them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,272
    He's a comedic actor not a stand up. More improv. I like him on Conan and Letterman
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

He's a comedic actor not a stand up. More improv. I like him on Conan and Letterman

I don't think he's improv at all....I think he reads lines other people write for him.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,272
    imalive said:

igotid88 said:

I don't think he's improv at all....I think he reads lines other people write for him.

he was part of The Groundlings
    I miss igotid88
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think most of his comedies benefit from a couple watches. A few of them, Anchorman, Step Brothers, Blades of a Glory, I thought were awful or so-so, but watching them and familiarizing myself with them, there are so many classic one liners.

He's an SNL legend. He does have some crummy movies, but also some of the funniest stuff of the last decade or so.

As for his improv or not....I think his movies and his run in SNL have a lot of improvising. There are quite a few of his movies with extended and re-edited scenes, our outtakes over the credits.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    Not sure about his new movie with Hart. Let's take the whitest white guy and pair him with a spitfire black guy. I liked it the first time when it was called Silver Streak. The scene in the bathroom where Pryor is teaching Wilder to pass as black, comedy gold.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Gold, Jerry, gold!

Loved those two, individually and together.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I hurt by what I'm reading here.Ferrel is pure comedy royalty.His minor roles are outstanding.Austin Powers,Wedding Crashers,zoolander.His leading roles are legendary.Old School,Anchorman,Ricky Bobby,Election,land of the lost,and of course The Other Guys,Step Brothers and Elf.If you like movie lines Ferrel is your man.
    rr165892 said:

I hurt by what I'm reading here.Ferrel is pure comedy royalty.His minor roles are outstanding.Austin Powers,Wedding Crashers,zoolander.His leading roles are legendary.Old School,Anchorman,Ricky Bobby,Election,land of the lost,and of course The Other Guys,Step Brothers and Elf.If you like movie lines Ferrel is your man.

You are a USC/LA apologist. The dude is a lucky no talent,

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    imalive said:

rr165892 said:

You are a USC/LA apologist. The dude is a lucky no talent,
    FSU apologist is more like it.
    Dude may be lucky,but he has tons of talent.I would even go as far as to say he is in the Top 3 of all SNL male cast members.