Options

Turkey Appreciation Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well, anything green that comes out your nose again...just keep it to yourself thanks.

:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    dunkman wrote:
    i think turkey is the blandest tasting meat in the world... every other bird tastes better.. pheasant, goose, duck, etc... but turkey is just so bland.

do you guys deep fry it or cook it different.. or are there sauces involved?

Never had pheasant or goose but duck is really greasy.

Turkeys are cooked all different ways for Thanksgiving; deep-fried or cooked in the oven. Some people brine it (soaked in a salty seasoned liquid for a few hours) first and some stuff it with bread dressing aka stuffing. Gravy and cranberry sauce are a must! It also has to be basted several times if cooked in the oven. The skin should be crispy and the meat juicy. Some people have turducken, which is chicken stuffed in duck stuffed in a turkey.

I like turkey but I love all of the side dishes that we have only on Thanksgiving even more, especially my dad's potato dressing, which is like stuffing but made with potatoes instead of bread. It's yummy!
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    evenkat wrote:
    Never had pheasant or goose but duck is really greasy.

Turkeys are cooked all different ways for Thanksgiving; deep-fried or cooked in the oven. Some people brine it (soaked in a salty seasoned liquid for a few hours) first and some stuff it with bread dressing aka stuffing. Gravy and cranberry sauce are a must! It also has to be basted several times if cooked in the oven. The skin should be crispy and the meat juicy. Some people have turducken, which is chicken stuffed in duck stuffed in a turkey.

I like turkey but I love all of the side dishes that we have only on Thanksgiving even more, especially my dad's potato dressing, which is like stuffing but made with potatoes instead of bread. It's yummy!
    Like you, I enjoy me turkey. But not fried, oven roasted. And as for 'turducken'. sorry, any food with the word 'turd' in it's title is not on my menu.lol.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    My brother cooks the turkey for Thanksgiving, and then the day after he makes turkey stock. He uses the stock for a risotto that is THE BEST risotto I've ever had.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    jamie uk wrote:
    Like you, I enjoy me turkey. But not fried, oven roasted. And as for 'turducken'. sorry, any food with the word 'turd' in it's title is not on my menu.lol.

I was just gonna ask you wtf a turducken was, then I read back evenkat's post. :confused: **shakes head** Who even thinks up this stuff anyway????? Let alone executes it.

Turducken??? What will they think of next???

And I thought we were odd having Turkey roll.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Jeanie wrote:
    I was just gonna ask you wtf a turducken was, then I read back evenkat's post. :confused: **shakes head** Who even thinks up this stuff anyway????? Let alone executes it.

Turducken??? What will they think of next???

And I thought we were odd having Turkey roll.

Apparently they drink a mixture of cumquat and lemon juice, I think it's called...quat lemon or something...!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....