Options

People who talk non stop at concerts

lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
This seems to be worse with other band’s shows but the trend over the last three years continues. Why do people spend exorbitant amounts of money to go to a concert only to babble and socialize non stop (endless selfies included) and barely stop to notice there is the band the paid to see PLAYING SONGS on stage.
Thankfully I haven’t had to do it at a PJ show , but in almost every other - I’ve been forced at least once to say “Could you please STFU!”
(and yes it worked!)
Thoughts?
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford

Comments

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    I agree! I definitely don’t need to hear someone talking to me during Evenflow when I’m trying to pee!
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    It's awful and there's nothing worse than having to shush one of your own friends 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    So many reasons why I stopped going to shows. This is definitely one of them. I sincerely thought after covid that crowds would be better than ever because of what we collectively went through. Unfortunately it’s the opposite. Crowds are worse than ever. 
  • Options
    Was recently at a Fruit Bats show and Eric pulled the plug on a quieter song because two people refused to shut up. He was literally asking them to quiet down and they just wooed and yelled back to him. Totally obnoxious.
  • Options
    onemorshowonemorshow Posts: 383
    edited July 2023

Next time wear a Bob Weir shirt. lol
    Yep! Always a downer for people who are there for the right reasons. Live Music for our souls!!

Hopefully tonight at Neil Young in Paso people can STFU! 😎
    Post edited by onemorshow on
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    In my experience, it's generally the people in the back.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 337
    Because they're not there for the band or the music, they're there so they can be seen on social media with all the selfies and say that they were there because it's the cool/popular thing to do. Don't underestimate what social media addicts will do for likes and attention, or just elitist narcissists in general... I'm sure they stop talking and sing along when that one song they love that they heard on the radio is played... Also as someone who lives in FL I have heard "fans" in 10 club seats literally cuss out Ed and the band when discussing politics or political issues, so it does happen at PJ shows, but that's completely different than talking throughout a show, but it always knocks me back and makes me wonder how/why are they fans? Pearl Jam and Ed's politics have been front and center since day 1... anyways, it's all about the music so maybe the bands just need to play louder and crank the amps up to 11... and everyone needs to throw your hatred down...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,238
    It’s not a movie, it’s a rock concert. I paid my money, if I’m hanging with friends I haven’t seen for a while I’m gonna have a conversation and some laughs with them. It’s not a movie or a play. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    It’s not a movie, it’s a rock concert. I paid my money, if I’m hanging with friends I haven’t seen for a while I’m gonna have a conversation and some laughs with them. It’s not a movie or a play. 
    Lol. What. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    If you are going to have conversations during please consider leaning close to your friends so they will be the only ones hearing you. Yelling or singing over the volume of the music will ruin the experience for the people around you.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    It's similar to a movie or theater performance in that people paid money to see a show and don't want it interrupted by selfish belligerents. You're pissing off everyone around you and sometimes the performer too.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Many years ago I was at a show where the people sitting behind us would not shut the fuck up.
    So I turned around and very politely asked them to turn it down or go somewhere they could finish their conversations and not bother those around them.
    2 of the guys got belligerent with me and threatening. So I said okay do as you please.
    What they didn't  know was that I was very good friends with the head of security. 
    Long story short they were removed from the venue.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Move to the back or to the bar and talk as much as you want. Don't do it in the seats or middle of the floor. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    if you are not there to listen go away.  Sure stray comments, cheers, holy ---- moments, but 20 minute talks are infuriating
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Many years ago I was at a show where the people sitting behind us would not shut the fuck up.
    So I turned around and very politely asked them to turn it down or go somewhere they could finish their conversations and not bother those around them.
    2 of the guys got belligerent with me and threatening. So I said okay do as you please.
    What they didn't  know was that I was very good friends with the head of security. 
    Long story short they were removed from the venue.
    I heard Liam Neeson’s voice in my head when I read this post.
  • Options
    bzouidenbzouiden KC Area Posts: 95
    Well unfortunately people in general suck seems like the ratio of Eddie Vedder types to Donald Trump types is going the wrong direction. I have noticed it in society a lot lately driving, at the grocery store just an overall sense of entitlement mixed with ego and stupidity.  Even at a PJ show, there isn't a good guy check at time of purchase or at the door.  At STL and OKC (GA and Floor) last year we had great experience with people around us (pretty much kept to ourselves and only talking between songs).  At Ohana 2021 it was a nightmare... people cutting in front right before PJ hit the stage.  Almost got in a fight with a drunk dude twice my size, Talking, selfies chaos So we don't do festivals anymore too old for that shit.  But at a PJ show it usually none of that but this is making me not super excited about my(first time not in the pit or floor) seats in Chicago in sec 302 this year if everyone just takes selfies and talks.  
    Kansas City 1998
    Kansas City 2000
    Kansas City 2003
    St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021
    St. Louis 2022
    OKC 2022
    Chicago N1 & N2 2023
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Followed closely by people who scream sing the whole show. Kudos to them for knowing every word to every song, but your voice shouldnt hurt my ears more than the amps. 

Both suck
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Followed closely by people who scream sing the whole show. Kudos to them for knowing every word to every song, but your voice shouldnt hurt my ears more than the amps. 

Both suck
    Nah. It’s great. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    yeah- at the Eddie show in Memphis in 2012, there were two females behind me that talked all through Glen Hansard and kept talking through most of Ed.  People all around them kept asking them to stop to no avail.  The only time they even seemed to semi stopped was when Ed was talking between songs and said "this one is like part 2 of Betterman".    All they heard was "Betterman",  stopped talking as one said, "Betterman?  oh finally!"   Then Ed started playing the song he was talking about (I believe it was the Good Woman cover) and disappointed, the same one said, "oh", and continued her conversation right where she left off.  Was ridiculous....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,628

Both suck
    Nah. It’s great. 
    Agreed. Fans don’t need to be good singers; hopefully they’re into it!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    Not just talk at a show, but they SHOUT over the band! seriously, what’s the point spending money to shout over the band.

I almost got my head handed to me at a PJ MSG show in 2003 bc a non fan would not shut up trying to impress his date and I was begging him to take his shouting to the entrance of the concourse, or you know, enjoy this incredible band or some nonsensical thought like that.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    The same logic can be applied to a movie or play if one is self centered enough. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    The same logic can be applied to a movie or play if one is self centered enough. 
    Don't go to an urban movie theatre.  They talk TO THE MOVIE!  It is a different experience for sure but just be prepared for it.

Went to Claypool and Frog Brigade.  Dude behind me would not shut up.  I kept turning around to give him looks.  Thankfully he spent more time getting beer than behind me.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited July 2023
    I agree with the selfies, pictures and video, can be annoying.
    But I don’t think I can hear people talking over the band and crowd singing along. At least not at a rock show.  I could see it happening at an acoustic set.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    Don't go to an urban movie theatre.  They talk TO THE MOVIE!  It is a different experience for sure but just be prepared for it.

Went to Claypool and Frog Brigade.  Dude behind me would not shut up.  I kept turning around to give him looks.  Thankfully he spent more time getting beer than behind me.
    I forgot my earplugs for the Les Claypool show, so had to hang near the back for the Animals set... there was a group of people who wouldn't stfu for the majority of it, super f'ing frustrating. Why spend $75 to go talk to people & yell over the music? It doesn't make sense to me. 

& not for nothing, but suburban movie theaters suck too. I took my nephew to see the most recent Creed movie a couple months ago... I need to remember to not go see movies when they first come out, at least not one that might appeal to teenagers... one of the worst movie theater experiences I've ever had. 
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Just about saw two people come to blows at a jazz club because one was talking to his gf non stop and loudly. 

Reminds me of the scene from The Simpsons.
    https://youtu.be/FOWYE3iYmoI
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    I agree! I definitely don’t need to hear someone talking to me during Evenflow when I’m trying to pee!
    How's it hanging over there? 3 shakes and you're good? I usually do a 4th shake just to be sure. How old were you when you got circumcised?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Grab a bite to eat or a drink before/after the show to catch up and discuss the music.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,237
    Grab a bite to eat or a drink before/after the show to catch up and discuss the music.
    Exactly
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I would feel very awkward being friends with someone who feels a rock concert is a place for us to "have a conversation". 

Slipping out a "OH MY GOD THEY'RE PLAYING 'ESTRANGED'" or "SHE'S PLAYING 'WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER' THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING IT'S YOUR FAVORITE SONG BESTIE!" is one thing...

but having conversations? Sickos.