Options

People who talk non stop at concerts

Comments

• Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 624
    If you comment something about the performance to your friend I have no problem with that. People that have full on conversations about unrelated topics deserve a savage beating.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    edited July 2023
    So damn annoying.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    The phones are still the most annoying to me. Or the guy at the MMJ concert wearing a fucking cowboy hat that just had to stand in front of me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,400
    Followed closely by people who scream sing the whole show. Kudos to them for knowing every word to every song, but your voice shouldnt hurt my ears more than the amps. 

Both suck
    Nah. It’s great. 
    yosi said:
    Followed closely by people who scream sing the whole show. Kudos to them for knowing every word to every song, but your voice shouldnt hurt my ears more than the amps. 

Both suck
    Nah. It’s great. 
    Agreed. Fans don’t need to be good singers; hopefully they’re into it!
    Maybe you both haven’t experienced it quite like I have. They aren’t bad singers singing loud (I fit in that group often). They are probably drunk and damn near screeching the song to be obnoxious. 

Happened twice to me. I would actually take conversations over it in the two times I experienced. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    Beware the dangers of the mosh pit A look back  Dangerous Minds
    i get it, but after 20 yrs of doing this at concerts, it makes me chuckle a bit.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The worst are theaters that have a bar in the room. Capitol theater for example.  Concerts are social events and not every person is there too hang on to every note. You pays your money and takes your chances. The loud singers happen one of my friends has that issue. I still love him LOL. I have another friend that likes to shout yee haw! People have fun in different ways and that is the point of going to a concert.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,133
    Malroth said:
    i get it, but after 20 yrs of doing this at concerts, it makes me chuckle a bit.
    If all you're going to are shows with pits and stage diving, yes this is not a concern.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    It’s not a movie, it’s a rock concert. I paid my money, if I’m hanging with friends I haven’t seen for a while I’m gonna have a conversation and some laughs with them. It’s not a movie or a play. 
    The same logic can be applied to a movie or play if one is self centered enough. 
    Don't go to an urban movie theatre.  They talk TO THE MOVIE!  It is a different experience for sure but just be prepared for it.

Went to Claypool and Frog Brigade.  Dude behind me would not shut up.  I kept turning around to give him looks.  Thankfully he spent more time getting beer than behind me.
    I forgot my earplugs for the Les Claypool show, so had to hang near the back for the Animals set... there was a group of people who wouldn't stfu for the majority of it, super f'ing frustrating. Why spend $75 to go talk to people & yell over the music? It doesn't make sense to me. 

& not for nothing, but suburban movie theaters suck too. I took my nephew to see the most recent Creed movie a couple months ago... I need to remember to not go see movies when they first come out, at least not one that might appeal to teenagers... one of the worst movie theater experiences I've ever had. 
    So what's funny about the talking during movies thing is I am DYING to go to a Rocky Horror Picture Show participation movie, lol.

As for suburban?  I've seen Endgame, Captain Marvel, all 3 latest SW movies and there was only one idiot I can recall rifling through his bag of potato chips.  I sit in the way back so i don't know what's going on down front or in the middle.  I will plead ignorance to that.

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    Bump
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    I know people do it but I rarely notice it. It's probably because I’m close to the front and I also am able to block out background noice pretty well. I know some people that can’t do this. 
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 689
    I've encountered this more times than I want to remember, but the worst was the last time we saw Tom Petty. We had to move due to the drunken idiots behind us who would not shut up. But it worked out as we found seats side stage and had a great time. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,460
    One of the real benefits of the fan club for Pearl Jam shows is that, in the Ten Club sections, you generally are going to be among people who are paying attention to the show. They may be singing along, but they will not be talking over the music. Singing along tends to blend in and get drowned out by the sound from the P.A. (or at least that's what I tell myself as I'm singing every word from the first song to the last).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    It’s not a movie, it’s a rock concert. I paid my money, if I’m hanging with friends I haven’t seen for a while I’m gonna have a conversation and some laughs with them. It’s not a movie or a play. 
    Grab a bite to eat or a drink before/after the show to catch up and discuss the music.
    Or talk to them between songs when you don't have to yell so loud that they and everyone else can hear you over the music. Unless Eddie's talking, then shut the fuck up. Just because you paid money doesn't give you the right to disrupt the experience of other people who paid money too.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Seattle 2 2018

Dianne Feinstein guy and his drunken Canadian friend

Right behind us at Safeco and the absolute worst I have ever encountered

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    It is getting really bad out there.

My "favourite" was 6 or 7 years ago when I went to see Springsteen on The River tour. When he played the song The River, the guy behind me spent the whole song explaining to his date what the song was about. 

At NOS Alive in 2016, a dude was trying his best to talk loud enough so his friend could hear him over Alice in Chains. For many songs. I did tell him to STFU.
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    It is getting really bad out there.

My "favourite" was 6 or 7 years ago when I went to see Springsteen on The River tour. When he played the song The River, the guy behind me spent the whole song explaining to his date what the song was about. 

At NOS Alive in 2016, a dude was trying his best to talk loud enough so his friend could hear him over Alice in Chains. For many songs. I did tell him to STFU.
    That's especially funny given that the song is a very straightforward narrative:

"So this song is about a guy who comes from down in the valley where they bring you up to work in your father's field of employment..."
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,823
    There’s been many but the one I remember is still from like 2000. Neil young Silver and gold tour. He’s playing Silver and Gold, which back then and I still believe, is one of his best songs, and the guy behind me is having a full blown conversation with his friend. I turned and said Can you keep it down, I really want to hear this. And he did. Never been sure why that worked. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,071
    I also hate when its quiet and some tool shouts out some utter embarrassing bullshit and literally everyone except that guy thinks . Fuck off mate
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518
    Another reason to wear ear plugs at shows. If you wear soft ear plugs and put them in half way, you can hear the show fine and tune out the riff raff around you.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518
    Malroth said:
    Just saw the Dropkick Murphys on St. Patrick’s Day by Fenway Park and saw a MoshPit and crowd surfing for the first time in years.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    I also hate when its quiet and some tool shouts out some utter embarrassing bullshit and literally everyone except that guy thinks . Fuck off mate
    "Hold your horses, shut the fuck up" - Eddie Vedder, Champaign '03

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    The worst one of these I witnessed was at a Ben Harper show. After he finishes Don’t Take that Attitude to your Grave, some jag-off yells “No more cover songs”. Ben had to tell him that was one of his. Hopefully the guy hid in the back the rest of the show
  • Options
    Pgarvey104Pgarvey104 Posts: 37
    When we were at the Hartford 2013 show the dudes in front of us were occasionally talking but what was wild was…
    one of them had his smart phone held up to his ear listening to PEARL JAM MUSIC VIDEOS. I did 657 double takes. Anyhow they were smoking and my wife was convinced because it smelled like a smoke she never smelled before, to this day says they were smoking crack. 
    April 29, 2003 Pepsi Arena, Albany                            September 15, 2005 Bell Center, Montreal       May 16, 2006 Meadows, Hartford

June 28, 2008  Comcast Center, Mansfield               October 25, 2013 XL Center, Hartford               August 5, 2006 Fenway Park, Boston

August 7, 2006 Fenway Park, Boston                         September 2, 2008 Fenway Park, Boston        September 4, 2008 Fenway Park, Boston

"If I had known then, what I know now."                      "There's an upside of down." 
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,149
    Happened to me in Austin
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880

• Options
    TheMooksterTheMookster Posts: 91
    edited March 24
    Definitely sympathize with a lot of comments in this thread. Just don't understand paying for live music only to not listen to the music (although agree with one of the comments that it seems now for some people to be about being seen on social media to have been there).

EV at Hammeramith Apollo in 2017 and Ed starts talking about his friendship with Chris and I think first time publically about Chris' death and how it effected him, Ed clearly emotional and finding it difficult, and some people in the crowd shouting at Eddie to get on with the show and other stuff interrupting him so he had to stop and start what he was saying- I was stunned. 

Also Glen Hansard at the 100 Club, tiny room, acoustic songs, couple talking loudly as if they were in their local pub on a Friday night so the whole room only heard them not him (they were standing 2m from the stage and not even facing it). Have to admit to losing my s**t and asking them to STFU or go outside  
    (Keeping it PJ-related, Glen did a great cover of Present Tense that night, fortunately after the couple decided to STFU).

I guess different things for different people, but I really have a hard time understanding what they get out of being there if it's not to actually hear/see the artist  Hanging out, chatting could surely be done anywhere else without a live show that you're paying for and interrupting. Weird to me.
    Post edited by TheMookster on
    Finsbury Park '92 | Brixton 1 '93 | Wembley 2 '96 | Wembley 1&2 '00 | Reading, Paris '06 | Munich, Wembley '07 | Shepherds Bush, Berlin, Manchester, London '09 | Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park '10 | Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1, Copenhagen, Atlanta '12 | Brooklyn 2, Philly 1&2, LA 1&2 '13 | Amsterdam 1&2, Vienna, Berlin '14 | Central Park, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City '15 | Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Wrigley 1&2 '16 | London 1, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London 2, Fenway 2 '18 | Oakland 1&2, Berlin, Zurich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam '22 | St. Paul 1&2, Chicago 1&2 '23 |
  • Options
    On a related note, when we were seeing U2 at Sphere a couple weeks ago, the woman sitting in front of us was streaming video of herself at the show for much of the night instead of watching the show. I could see my husband and me in the background on her phone. I couldn't believe that someone would spend that much $$ (face value for those seats was $500, and many were purchased for much more as resales) and not pay attention to the show.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    Definitely sympathize with a lot of comments in this thread. Just don't understand paying for live music only to not listen to the music (although agree with one of the comments that it seems now for some people to be about being seen on social media to have been there).

EV at Hammeramith Apollo in 2017 and Ed starts talking about his friendship with Chris and I think first time publically about Chris' death and how it effected him, Ed clearly emotional and finding it difficult, and some people in the crowd shouting at Eddie to get on with the show and other stuff interrupting him so he had to stop and start what he was saying- I was stunned. 

Also Glen Hansard at the 100 Club, tiny room, acoustic songs, couple talking loudly as if they were in their local pub on a Friday night so the whole room only heard them not him (they were standing 2m from the stage and not even facing it). Have to admit to losing my s**t and asking them to STFU or go outside  
    (Keeping it PJ-related, Glen did a great cover of Present Tense that night, fortunately after the couple decided to STFU).

I guess different things for different people, but I really have a hard time understanding what they get out of being there if it's not to actually hear/see the artist  Hanging out, chatting could surely be done anywhere else without a live show that you're paying for and interrupting. Weird to me.
    Echoing the thought alluded to above: For a lot of people in the social-media age, documenting the experience is more important than the experience itself. They get more excitement of out posting an Instagram video of whatever the event is than they do by experiencing the event. Whenever I see people at, say, a basketball game watching the closing moments of an exciting game through their phones instead of with their eyes, I think, "Don't they realize this is on TV and there will be plenty of video of it for them to relive it later if they want to?" But it's not about that. It's about showing their social-media connections, "Look where I am!"
  • Options
    marra2312marra2312 Posts: 49
    I have no problem with photos/video, unless it is right blocking my eyeline. I've taken enough mementos over the decades like that which I do go back and look at to remind me of some happy times.

But the talking one is just plain rude. There's easier and cheaper ways to have a conversation that don't require you to shout yourself hoarse and annoy everyone around you.