Options

What Is your All Time Favorite Pearl Jam Song And Why

Hi everyone please tell me your favorite all time pearl jam song and why its your favorite....
I was born at night but it wasn't lastnight
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    god, theres no way to say. all those yesterdays is really good. when i have kids, i'm going to play them the intro to it. their lullabys are going to be pearl jam songs
  • Options
    Rats.

I'm Roma (ethnic Gypsy..we are an ethnic minority, not a lifestyle...and "Gypsy" is a slur) and often our folk are referred to as filthy rats. Much of what is in the song is what people say we are/do. But we "don't compare", hence why this is my favourite song.
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568
    All of them are great but the one that is my favorite is Alive. Even though its about ev finding out that the guy who thought was his wasnt rly i think of it in a different way. My dad had leukimia for 12 years. He had it before i was even born. so 11 years of my life. Whenever i hear alive i think of him staying alive and saying ill get through this im still alive. That song got me through hard times. And i am proud to say he is still alive.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    Indifferencee speaks to me in so many ways. I can listen to it forever and would still never get enough of it. A close second is Footsteps. These two songs were often played on repeat through the night when I was younger and they were so haunting and beautiful(especially Indifference) that I would wake and swear Eddie was singing to me, personally.
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    AndiMAndiM Posts: 102
    A tough draw between In My Tree (music and lyrics are just fitting perfectly together there) and Wishlist (first PJ song I've ever heard), If I have to make a choice than it''s proably In My Tree as I can relate to it a bit more.
  • Options
    RevRev Posts: 3
    There are two. Nothing As It Seems and I Got Id.

The former has been with me for a few years and represents how I seem to be put-together and adjusting but in reality, everything that I've adjusted to is dysfunctional. But it's all I have, so it's 'home' to me. And besides the lyrical content itself, there's something so unbearably haunting and emotionally stirring in the melody and Ved's delivery that I can rarely listen to it and remain dry-eyed.

The latter has been with me almost as long as Nothing.... It represents how I feel about myself, my life and social dealings with other individuals (especially those of the opposite sex) in general. And in some way, it represents how I see Vedder and all that he's unknowingly done for me. I paid the price, never held you in real life.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    not a fair question..head hurts
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    There are actually 3 of them: Black, Betterman and Nothingman :D

They all remind me of my life, in one way or another
    :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    There is several tunes I would call my favourite song.
    I Got Shit is an obvious one (I don't like naming it I Got Id). Mostly because the lyrics seem to describe my feelings about a specific relationship I had.
    Release, S.O.L.A.T and Off He Goes are part of this list also.
  • Options
    I have two that really stick out at me. Black and Inside Job.

Black is amazing, it describes a relationship I once had. We never dated or anything, but I so wanted to. I don't think she ever saw me that way. "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life I know you'll be a star. In somebody else's sky, but why? Why? Why, can't it be, why can't it be mine." I still have more feelings for her than I should. She's engaged to be married on 7/11 this year. We still talk over text message every now and then but we are not as close as we once were.

Inside Job really hits home because I was down in many respects of my life and this song describes to me what needs to be done first. You work on yourself first and everything else will fall into place. "I will not lose my faith. It's an inside job today. Holding on the light of night. On my knees, to rise and fix my broken soul. Again."

Thanks to Pearl Jam for all their works but especially for these two. I will cherish these two songs for all time.
  • Options
    Present Tense....because it's pure genius.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    There are actually 3 of them: Black, Betterman and Nothingman

Same for me, in exact same order :D
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    Hi I would have to say the song that i like the most is Reign O'er Me..Its true in many ways...
    I was born at night but it wasn't lastnight
  • Options

guess i have to put that on there too...workin on gettin a tree bending tatt.
    will be glorious
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    black,,,,with ,,i know someday..its the one ,,and alive...when the curse change to become life!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Holy god...what a question. I can't just simply have one...so for the two I would always choose...

Release and Nothingman.

Release is one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard in my life...from the first note to the last, I can't help but sing, and just feel the emotion in every second of that track...I also feel like I can relate to it. Not in the way that a lot of other people can, by losing there father, but it just makes me think about my relationship with my own dad, and other family members that have been lost and feeling grateful that he's still around, and that I've had the chance to make the memories that I have, and ones that are to be made.

Nothingman...the song is just beautiful. I love the lyrics, the music, and the overall message. If you love someone, and they love you back...don't fuck it up.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    If you love someone, and they love you back...don't fuck it up.

that could be my favorite quote
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    state of love and trust is my favourite song ever, period...

why..

just because its so damn cool

great lyrics, brilliant vocal, great riff, just a f****in classic rock song

8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)
  • Options
    pinot768pinot768 Posts: 295
    Present Tense, I am Mine, and Garden...the lyrics are pure genious and each of them speak to me in so many ways for so many reasons.
    "I was born, and I know that I'll die...the in-between is mine."
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    "Black", easily.

That song, almost singlehandedly, saved me. In a period of my life where everything was black....it was the only hand that I felt was reaching out to me and could comfort me. It was the only thing I could relate to.

Quite simply, it's one of the biggest reasons I'm still here.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    I would have to say Black is my favorite song, but there are a LOT of others that come in a very, very close second.
    The reason I love Black, and all of the others, is because I believe that all of these songs express feelings that I have had, in ways that I wish I could have expressed them myself.
    After a friend died, I tried to think that he was in Heaven and that it was going to be awesome, but I couldn't help thinking what is said in Light Years: "And wherever you've gone, and wherever we might go, it don't seem fair, you seem to like it here."
    Can anyone think of a better lullaby than Around the Bend?
    And anybody that has ever felt down in a hole, like there was no reason to keep going and that there was nothing good that could possibly ever happen in the future after such bad things had happened, can relate to Present Tense. How beautiful are the first few lines, describing exactly what many people needed to hear in order to pick themselves up and give it another go, but describing it in such a way that was so simple, yet so beautiful that nobody ever thought to say it quite that way. "Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire? Leaning out to catch the sun's rays, a lesson to be applied..."
    Every day I am thankful for a lot of things, but one thing that I always be thankful for is the fact that somebody introduced me to Pearl Jam. I think that anybody who listens to music for the right purpose is obligated by reason to love Pearl Jam (I believe the right reason to listen to music is to find some type of connection that comes with hearing a song that tells you that you aren't the only person with that feeling, whether it be happiness, sadness, fright, despair, anger, joy, satisfaction, etc.)
    I am sorry that this is a long post, but it is a subject that I really got hooked into talking about. I have always said that it is amazing to me that somebody could write a song, like Black, that would cause people to say that it is part of the reason that they didn't kill themself. That is the most awesome thing I can think of-- that someone's words could be so powerful so as to help another person in their must vulnerable time.
    I would love more than anything to some day be in a band like Pearl Jam, not for the money, or the fans, or all of those things (I won't lie, a ten million dollar record deal would be nice), but the thing that would touch me the most is if I was able to write a song that could help somebody in that big of a way.
    I can't think of anything more powerful than music, and especially Pearl Jam music. Each song is "A lesson to be applied" in its own way. I hope everyone has been moved to tears by at least one song in their life time, that's what music is for. PEACE.
  • Options
    angelbaby wrote:
    Hi everyone please tell me your favorite all time pearl jam song and why its your favorite....

What's your favorite song angelbaby?
  • Options
    Indifferencee speaks to me in so many ways. I can listen to it forever and would still never get enough of it. A close second is Footsteps. These two songs were often played on repeat through the night when I was younger and they were so haunting and beautiful(especially Indifference) that I would wake and swear Eddie was singing to me, personally.

I love indifference. Who hasn't felt that before-- "How much difference, does it make?"
  • Options
    There are 2 4 me Dirty Frank because its just great , and off he goes because it applies to a lot of situations in a lot of peoples lives
  • Options
    koda74koda74 Posts: 86
    I Got Shit - been a fav for a long long time. Describes what I've been through, I love the lyrics and Eddie sings it with so much angst....
    "And I fight back in my mind, never lets me be right
    I got memories I got shit, so much it don't show..."

Can't Keep - Describes personally where I'm at right now. I love the lyrics...
    "Forgive, every being
    the bad feelings, its just me
    I won't wait for answers, you can't keep me here..."
  • Options
    PJ4LYFEPJ4LYFE Posts: 1
    Rear View Mirror

"I can see things so much clearer, not that you are in my Rear View Mirror."

Speaks volumes to me!!!!!
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Present Tense

Ed's voice and the music are great, but the lyrics are the main reason why I love this song.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    barricuddabarricudda Posts: 7
    Whenever I'm down, all I have to listen to is Alive as that song and also the entire album changed my life. I had similar 'daddy issues' like Eddie does except that my dad is still around but never been a father as a father should be. After almost 19 years has passed and he is still the same bastard but have accepted it and am still living because of the sweet music coming from Eddie and gang.

Thank you Eddie, Stone, Jeff, Mike and Matt for all the inspiration of my sincerely inspired life.
  • Options

Damn skippy. :)
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Thumbing my way.... I feel like it knows my inner thoughts and feelings. :?
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"