Options

What Is your All Time Favorite Pearl Jam Song And Why

Comments

• Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Black ~ because I have always wanted to be a star in somebody else's sky, plus this song just really brings out so many emotions in me...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    its now without a doubt hail hail
    every line in that song is classic and is what i want to say but couldn't..its perfect for me

i even have the "i dont wanna think, i wanna feel" bumper sticker on my truck :oops:
  • Options
    annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    I am Mine

I know that I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I am mine...

I love that line!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Alive.

That song is a reason to be alive.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    SheSaysNoSheSaysNo Posts: 28
    Breath

..did waked me up, when i needed it..
    Maker of my enemies...

Take...my...
  • Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    its now without a doubt hail hail
    every line in that song is classic and is what i want to say but couldn't..its perfect for me

Totaly agree

Also, In My Tree. The music, the lyrics(oh man, the lyrics), just an absolute perfect song!!!
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Better Man.

It was the first proper PJ song I heard and fell in love with (the first PJ tracks I intially heard were Bugs and Soon Forget) it was also the song that helped me more than anything else when I was going through a really hard time a few years ago... That and Given To Fly. It also kicks fuckin' ass live :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    walknthecowwalknthecow Posts: 35
    ive got a feeling think they should try playing it live again
  • Options
    HorizonHorizon Posts: 3
    It's very hard to decide because Pearl Jam's music have been in my life for the last 15+ years. But I have to choose Even Flow. It's a song I've heard a million times and the groove still gets to me. In concert it's a song that electrify's the crowd and there's always improv in Mike's solo . So today I chose Even Flow but tomorrow it might be another one. Thanks PJ and I can't wait for the next studio album.
  • Options
    Foe40deesFoe40dees Posts: 98
    i have two and both are from vitalogy. i have always loved the song tremor christ because of the sailor being beaten an d drifting by the storm. i picture myself someways like that sailor and everything would be fine if the angels get to me first. some times i wonder if maybe they have , but i like drama and maybe i like drifting, so i remain.
    my other favorite is nothingman. it speaks to me about my father and mother and their divorce. " he caught a bolt of lightning (my mom) and cursed the day he let it go." the rest of the lyrics seem to tell me a story sbout what my dad would have been, could have been thinking, and sort of helps me understand it all.
    gorgeous was his savior
  • Options
    hollow bottlehollow bottle Posts: 183
    Today it is Brain of J. I love Jack.
    Yesterday it was Oceans.

It all depends on the mood.
    TDR
  • Options
    g-mang-man Posts: 1
    Porch...
    I was going to say something profound about it, but I forgot it.
  • Options
    Release

The first time I heard it I cried thinking about the relationship between my dad and I. I knew Pearl Jam would be my favorite band forever after hearing that song.

I hold the pain, release me.
    Mitchell
  • Options
    R.V.M.R.V.M. Posts: 10
    Breath

..did waked me up, when i needed it..

Me too. I've listened to this song almost every day for years now. Really like the Legacy Edition version as well.

"If I knew where it was, I would take you there....There's much more than THIS!!!!"
  • Options
    for me it's Given to Fly..
    beautiful melody about dreams, love and the idea of escaping, not worrying of what the others might say...
    pure energy and feeling...
  • Options
    pjbruinpjbruin Posts: 1
    Mine is Given to Fly. I love the lyrics and the idea of just forgetting about everything else that's going on and just being free. I feel like the music really fits with the lyrics and as the song crescendos (especially when it's played live) I just feel completely free. I love it!

Black is also another favorite of mine. I used to never really pay attention to it and one day while I was driving I was listening to it and really heard the lyrics for the first time. I just started crying because of all of the emotion behind those words. I felt the same way. I just want to be a star in someone's sky.
  • Options
    corduroy, cause it's always the best live moment for me, and i'm big on UP crowd pleasers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByHTeVAUP1M
  • Options
    "Oceans" for me.

The song is just so raw, music and lyrics. It lifts you up, carries you out, then sets you back down - similar to a wave. It's a thrill for me and just stirs up all sorts of nostalgic wonders/memories. Watching the video, honing in on Jeff's bass and Eddie's humming is what really drives it home. Close your eyes and let the song carry you.
  • Options
    TwiTwi Posts: 3
    My favourite would have to be .. Jeremy =D
    I was surprised to see that no one else had chosen Jeremy. Although I found it hard to find a clear favourite 'cause Pearl Jam pretty much rock all their songs.
    But Jeremy was the first Pearl Jam song I heard/saw. I was watching the music channels and it happened to come on, I was blown away by Eddie Vedder's voice in the song and my love of grunge and rock snowballed from that point.
    Gotta love Jeremy :D
  • Options
    I Am Mine

I love every second of this song and there's so many angles I can look at it from. The slow intro building to the first line, the way Eddie sings "I. Am. Mine" as if he's reassuring himself and reaffirming this at the same time.

"Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time"

Are we to scared to maybe admit that this may be it? That there is this life and nothing else, so we look to religion for comfort and answers.

"We're all different behind the eyes
    There's no need to hide"

Why question who or what you are? You're no less or more important than everyone else. Stop worrying and live your life.

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The inbetween is mine."

Some of the greatest lyrics I've ever heard. It's a very emotive song and I can visualize Eddie really putting into his heart and soul into the recording.

Genius.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    IN HIDING

It's sings like a story and the music is the cloud that it rides on.

Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, have no reason why really.

I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened is triumphant!

Thank you Stone for the melody...
  • Options
    State of love and trust. There's just something about the way it sounds, especially the vocals, that really get to me. And it's a bit positive so. Close follow ups are Porch, Breath and The Fixer.
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• Options
    Wow, I don't like to choose a favorite but I am semi-involuntarily putting my hands on this keyboard and typing in.....(head hurts, too - hands are ashakin' - arrgh!!! ) "Strangest Tribe". For me, that song represents the essence of the band captured both musically and lyrically. It feels ageless as if Pearl Jam's very chromosomes were reminiscing their collective pasts and projecting futures. I can hear the eyes of their DNA whilst listening. It is a cathartic journey to embrace. "Strangest Tribe" is a gleaming jewel of perfection within their catalogue, flawlessly executed and possesing a subtle, ethereal beauty and power not commonly found anywhere...and it is a Christmas single! Talk about deluxe fan treatment... medicinal indeed 8-) .
  • Options
    Betterman. The song is both fierce and oppressive. I literally never get tired of this song.

I also really like Hail Hail, Courduroy, I Got Shit, Given to Fly, Release, State of Love and Trust, etc etc etc
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    I Got Id. I've been living the lyrics to this song almost all of my adult life. And also partly because Neil Young plays the solo on it.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    my favorite song is ...
    Present Tense because as bad a past as I've had and keep having, today is all I have so it truely is better to live in the present tense. short and sweet
  • Options
    Elderly Woman-

With so many songs that have deep lyrical significance that you can really get into and run with, I have always loved this song for its simplicity and happy feeling. It is nostalgic for me. I can't really relate with it on a deep level but I love it none the less. It always makes me happy and I think that is all that really matters.
    Album Ranking: Vs,Ten,Yield,Vitalogy,Avocado,Riot Act,No Code,Binaural,Lightning Bold,BackSpacer.
  • Options
    prezesprezes Posts: 33
    best songs (no particular order):
    ALIVE - priceless memories from high school
    IN MY TREE - priceless memories from university
    REARVIEWMIRROR - what can I say... I gather speed... from you f'king with me
    BLACK - coz I discovered it too late
    EVEN FLOW - go to a PJ concert for once if you don't agree
    DOWN - brings me UP every time
    SAD - coz it's sad like I am oftentimes
    DAUGHTER / WMA (from Live on Two Legs) - best piece of PJ magic ever recorded
    I GOT SHIT - coz I like playing it on my guitar
    FORCE OF NATURE - coz it reminds me of her
    YOU ARE - coz I'm diggin it last few days

best covers:
    SONIC REDUCER
    LOVE REIGN O'ER ME
    ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Wow...really? currently it's Sleight Of Hand and here's why:

The song is so ambient and different musically, it hit me like a brick wall when I first heard it. I gave it my first DEEP listen when I was driving to work during my first week of my first 9-5 office job. The line "Routine was the theme,... he'd wake up,..wash and pour himself
    Into uniform,... something he hadn't imagined being..." rang so true to me at that moment, that it really made me think about my life. How I had gotten there, where I was going, and where I wanted to ultimately be. It really made me focus on being the person that I wanted to be, and trying to be an overall better person for myself and for everyone that was currently in my life and the potential future relationships I may gain...

Just a great song that constantly reminds me to to work at what I want, and to stay far away from just slipping into the cracks of the world and living each day mindlessly until all my chances and time have floated on past.

Another song that is so dear to me is Come Back....lost my sister over two years ago and every lyric, emotion, and meaning in that song is exactly how I feel everyday when I think about my sister. When they played it on 08/23/09 in Chicago I cried the best cry I have ever had. I had been 21 for 6 days, was there with my best friend/my one love and was so high on life at that moment that when those first notes hit, I just thought of my sister, I saw her face, felt her presence and my girlfriend and I just cried together. I'm not a religious man, but I'm definitely some kind of spiritual. Pearl Jam is my vehicle for my spiritual experiences.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I am kind of surprised no one else has said mine, I thought a lot of people loved it, but anyways, for me it is a no-brainer:

Low Light

Yield was my first PJ album, I got it in 1998 when I was in 7th grade, and since then Low Light has always been my favorite song. For some reason it just reminds me of life, and I feel like that's what it is about. That sounds dumb, because aren't all songs about life in some way? But I just feel "life" when I hear it. The ups, the downs, the love, the friction, the good, the bad. It's all in there. If I had to make a desert island cd with only one song, that would be it.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)