Options

What Is your All Time Favorite Pearl Jam Song And Why

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    I am kind of surprised no one else has said mine, I thought a lot of people loved it, but anyways, for me it is a no-brainer:

Low Light

Yield was my first PJ album, I got it in 1998 when I was in 7th grade, and since then Low Light has always been my favorite song. For some reason it just reminds me of life, and I feel like that's what it is about. That sounds dumb, because aren't all songs about life in some way? But I just feel "life" when I hear it. The ups, the downs, the love, the friction, the good, the bad. It's all in there. If I had to make a desert island cd with only one song, that would be it.

Don't worry....I'm with you on this one, totally. Low Light is on my list of top 5 fav PJ songs. I nearly creamed my pants when they played it in SLC...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Don't worry....I'm with you on this one, totally. Low Light is on my list of top 5 fav PJ songs. I nearly creamed my pants when they played it in SLC...

Yeah, seeing it live is one of the only things left on my things I need to do before I die. Unfortunately it is completley in Pearl Jam's hands to make that happen.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, seeing it live is one of the only things left on my things I need to do before I die. Unfortunately it is completley in Pearl Jam's hands to make that happen.

Just keep on going to shows...it's bound to happen :)

I'm still waiting for Release, god damnit.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    black. its where it began for me.

now...
    guaranteed. ahhhhhhhhhhh. AND on the same line, society. perfect
    off he goes. points towards clear thinking; which im all about
    given to fly. body weaving genius.
    man of the hour. dad.
    elderly woman. offffff course! we alllll know that once small feeling.
    wishlist. pure melodic poetry
    untitled leading into mfc (liveontwolegs). nice.
    dont gimme no lip. no really, dont.
    light years.
    nothingman. some words once spoken cant be taken back. thats up there.
    corduroy. cant wait to jump to this... bring on brisbane
  • Options
    garden has one the most grinding powerful churos'...just wanna knock down walls when it snaps
  • Options
    Very hard question. . . probably MFC. I just love the way Eddie describes the song.

"Obviously it's just about getting in your car and getting the fuck out of there."

There are so many days where I'd just like to get in my car and get the fuck out of here.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Options
    Ali ZAli Z Posts: 1
    very hard to choose one song, but i can do this, ;)
    and is not any easier :shock:

Ten..............Oceans
    Vs................Indifference
    Vitalogy.........Better Man
    No Code........Off He Goes
    Yield............Wishlist
    Binaural........Thin Air
    Riot Act........All Or None
    Pearl Jam......Parachutes
    Backspacer....Just Breath

Man Of The Hour...Long Road...Footsteps...Let Me Sleep Its Chirstmas Time.....aaaaand maaaaany mooore
    HAHAHAHA!!!!! so long everyone from Mazatlan Mexico
    La Felicidad No Existe Sino Es Compartida
  • Options
    so-much-clearerso-much-clearer Posts: 303
    edited August 2011
    Alive is my favorite, I think because the first time I saw PJ was on a rerun of SNL where they performed it and I was just blown away. Ed was so into it.
    Post edited by so-much-clearer on
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • Options
    Wow...

No WMA yet??? Surpised...

I love Down, Once, Indifference, and all the common ones - evenflow etc...

But the best PJ song on the planet could just be All those yesterdays...

I always look forward to the last song on a PJ album as they are quite often an extra treat...
  • Options
    bec Ebec E Posts: 40
    Release (this week anyway lol) I just love how much emotion is in the song and how it was written ect.. I just want to hear it live :D
    He who forgets will be destined to remember....
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Just keep on going to shows...it's bound to happen :)

I'm still waiting for Release, god damnit.

It'll happen, dont worry. Just keep going to shows. I heard it in Adelaide. Totally brilliant.

My favourite song would have to be Black. Dont need to say any more about how sublime this song is. There are plenty of others: Tremor Christ, All those Yesterdays, All or None and Present Tense to name just a few. So many "favourites".
  • Options
    For me its Black...where it all began! Sat with my best friend while he cried his heart out for weeks over a girl (my sister :roll: ) listening to this song...not knowing the girl (me) :( sitting by his side loved him soooo much more but could never say so. So I cried my heart out for years over him listening to this song! Its been a long long time though and I did find another sky to be a star in and by all accounts so did he...still lingers there at times though.

Given to Fly...spritual identity...connecting with God (natural not religious)..."wind picked him up set him down on his knees"...it hurts when this happens but "he still gives his love he just gives it away"...goodness...to love in the midst of pain is the pure spiritual journey. Always love the songs that connect the ocean and waves metaphorically to life, living and spirit cause I am terrified of big waves! Love the ocean...from the shore...don't know where it comes from but when i see them out there on the big waves I just have my heart in my mouth the whole time and can barely breath...even just watching empty waves roll in...majestic and awesome and powerful and panic attack trigger for me. I force myself to sit and watch it though and eventually the panic calms and I can take it all in but the intial sight of a big wave fills me with terror...metaphorically...probably why I connect with the ocean songs. Overcoming fear!

Now come back and see me in ten years and see if Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves hold me as captivated as they do today...as captivated as Black and Given to Fly do all this time later!

Cheers! :)
    Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel.....stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,852
    Release

Finally heard it live during my trip down-under last month. The line "Oh dear dad can you see me now" held extra meaning as my dad passed away a few years back. Just the perfect song - I wish I could sing!

Present Tense

The opening lines are so uplifting: "Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?" Brought a tear to my eye when I first heard it live (London 07).

Inside Job

Again, great lyrics. Certainly the best song they've written in the last few years (IMO, of course!)

These 3 will remain static, but the top 10 can change on a daily basis.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    It has to be Daughter.

One of their best songs played live and who can forget Live at the Gardens, with Ben Harper saying "this is the greatest band in the world".

When played live the middle part when daughter finishes and you are waiting for the intro for Eddie to burst into another song is so cool, just love the bass. A classic PJ song, plus it was the first PJ song that really hooked me and made me go out and buy the cd.

If I was to pick a close second it would have to be Do the Evolution, simply a great song, great lyrics etc.

As far as each album goes my fave songs would be

Ten - Alive/Jeremy (Sorry too hard to split)
    Vs - Daughter (Say no more)
    Vitalogy - Immortality (Great finish to a great album)
    No Code - Smile (Has the Eddie swagger to it, simply a cool song)
    Yield - Do The Evolution (Brilliant song)
    Binuaral - Insignificance (Great lyrics and awesome guitar solo)
    Riot Act - All or None (Classy song on a very under-rated album)
    Lost Dogs - Yellow Ledbetter/Leaving Here
    Live At Benaroya Hall - I Believe in Miracles (Classic made into a classic)
    Pearl Jam - Severed Hand (Great guitar work by Mike and Stone)
    Backspacer - The End (Heard Eddie play this live on his own at the ChCh concert. Wow!!)
    Restless soul, enjoy your youth
  • Options
    Rear View Mirror.... yep that song just dose it for me :D
    Sydney ♥ March 10, 1995
    Sydney ♥ March 11, 1995
    Melbourne ♥ November 20, 2009
    To be continued... March 25, 2011 EV Solo Yeeeeeeeew!
  • Options
    GaldoGaldo Posts: 1
    It depends basically on the mood but I would say:

Better Man, State of Love and Trust, Smile (I realize that it's not in the same league of the others but I don't know why, there's something in that lines that make this song special to me...), Rearviewmirror, In Hiding and, from the last album, Force of Nature, my favorite song of last two months...
  • Options
    It changes depending on mood, but this week it is: Nothingman, Man of the Hour, I am Mine. Oh, and Do the Evolution and Yellow Ledbetter (which no one mentioned? shame) and Alive and Even Flow.
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    solat, just a great rock song, the unplugged version is a personal fav...
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    thats easy, I am mine.. that was the beginning for me
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Two years ago my friend Karen was murdered while on a backpacking holiday in New Zealand and the first Pearl Jam song I heard after was Sometimes. I don't remember it for specific lyrical reasons as such, just the message of desperate prayer within them and it was already my favourite song. It took a long time to come to terms with the fact I'd never see her again and I think about her so much. This song can't change anything but it has a power in it that makes me feel better connected to her in some way. If they play this in Dublin, Belfast or London in June I know I'll be in floods and wish she could be there to hear it too. RIP Karen, we miss you.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    I have some favorites...I love Present Tense, but has Í´m Hiding, Immortality, Black, Given to Fly and Light Years too.
  • Options
    This changes really often... At the moment it's Rearviewmirror. I'm watching them performing the song at Pinkpop Festival in 2000 over and over again.

But my all time favorite is Alive, I think. I'm even thinking about adding "I'm still alive" to a tattoo I wanna get as soon as I got enough money (it's gonna be something really big so it's really expensive as well ;)). It kinda fits into the tattoo and into my life, so yeah, I think my all time favorite is Alive.
  • Options
    the lostdogs promo version of "hold on" is def one, know that i think of it, that i always listen to especially when having one of those days. Tough question to ask tho.. hmm..all time favorite? There are so many that do something different for me.. hard to choose.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free"
    - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    panjok2panjok2 Posts: 4
    off he goes.........is pretty far up there ,I only wish I knew the story behind it!!!!
    black.... is where it all started for me as well and it brings me back in time to my high school years!
    very hard to choose because each one is my favorite for different reasons!
  • Options
    ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169
    Black, has been since day 1 and probaly always will be. It never gets old. The pure emotion of it all just gets me every time. I remember reading an interviewer with Ed. They asked him if he ever gets sick of singing the same songs over and over again. His reply mentioned Black and said you just can not sing that song and not feel the emotion of it.

Sad comes in a very close 2nd though.
  • Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    veddertown wrote:
    Two years ago my friend Karen was murdered while on a backpacking holiday in New Zealand and the first Pearl Jam song I heard after was Sometimes. I don't remember it for specific lyrical reasons as such, just the message of desperate prayer within them and it was already my favourite song. It took a long time to come to terms with the fact I'd never see her again and I think about her so much. This song can't change anything but it has a power in it that makes me feel better connected to her in some way. If they play this in Dublin, Belfast or London in June I know I'll be in floods and wish she could be there to hear it too. RIP Karen, we miss you.

As someone from New Zealand, you just totally bummed me out. I'm sorry - that's horrible. Did they ever find who did it?

I sometimes have to avoid Light Years for a rather similar reason :cry:
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    so hard to choose because pearl jam are so good... but it's got to be given to fly. i just love the way that it climbs like a wave. and when the chorus hits you, it feels like you're flying.
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw. delivered him wings, 'hey look at me now!'
  • Options
    savmansavman Posts: 230
    For the person who said "Nothing's impossible"

I beg to differ......
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,085
    Either Porch or Blood. Porch because in 1991 it was probably the coolest thing I'd ever heard. Then watching MTV Unplugged sealed the deal forever. But when Ten was followed up by VS and Blood came on for the first time I knew I was gonna be obsessed from then on out. It is just so brutally heavy and cool. How lucky we all are that they are still making music.

Since then...

Vitalogy - Spin The Black Circle
    No Code - Entire record. My favorite album ever.
    Yield - Brain of J
    Binaural - Grievance
    Riot Act - Save You or Arc
    PJ - Comatose
    Backspacer - Got Some
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hmmm we're gonna go from Ten to Backspacer on this one..
    Off Ten is Jeremy cause that was me as a kid.. and I still totally feel that way about other people most of the time..

off of VS it's Daughter and RVM casue my mother SUCKED and they were both dedicated to her. ANd Indifference Indifference for the same reason as Jeremy.

Vitalogy- Leash ( again to my mother) and WMA cause I had a friend in college whose adopted brother was hung outside their back yard one year for being black..Three weeks later my friend commited suicide so that those sick biggoted assholes couldn't hang her.. their poor parents never got over that. P.S. all four boys are incarcerated for life for the crime of what they did to Thomas and for scaring Alma into suicide they won't get out for another 20 years.

No Code- Present Tense, because this song taught me that it's much less stressful and painful to oay attention to the now versus what already happened in life.

Yeild- Pilate. cause my dog was the best living thing in the world, better than any human alive, he was really an exa,ple as to how people should be to one another he taught me alot about trusting people and not wanting to kill them all.lol All Those Yesterdays, just a good song to remind yerself totake things easy.

Binaural- Sleight Of Hand just casue that shit is SOOOOOOOO me, and Nothing as It Seems casue while Nirvana like it is so true I love it.

Riot Act- You Are cause It's such a gorgeous song, and one day I'll have another love of my life to sing it to. and Cropduster, it just makes alot of things in my world make sense, gives me a new way to look at things.

Pearl Jam- LIfe Wasted, cause holy shit I think that one got written to tell me it may have been fucked up but I have a chance to leave the shitty parts of my life, and never return there again, which is my primary goal.
    and Severed Hand, cause that totally describes the way I think about things sans hallucinegenics which I swear is what the song is about..

Backspacer- Speed Of Sound cause that's how my life seems to be going right now. and Just Breathe cause I'm constantly reminding myself to never take one minute for granted in life. as for needing or wanting someone that part has yet to come in human form, so for now I sing it to my cats.lmao
    this is an interesting thread.