Options

Soooo.....

Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
Does this mean I can finally afford an original Binaural LP? The value can't go up for the originals right?
Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16

Comments

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    They don't have to go down either.
  • Options
    The originals will probably go down somewhat temporarily is my guess.
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    I heard rumor the original and reissue has same track listing. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options

Why would you want the original?  The only reason I can think of is if you think it will be a good investment.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited September 2017

Why would you want the original?  The only reason I can think of is if you think it will be a good investment.

Might end up sounding better. 

And the re-issue seems to have a different cover.

And you might want the original release because of some autistic have-all-original-pressings reason.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Olders will have a different cover, sound has yet to be determined on the new.
    For damn sure keeping an original.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Pearl Jam fans hoard everything, I too am a Pearl Jam fan
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options

But why?  To what end?  I am just a recovering collector and it is freeing not having to buy every last thing this band puts out or stand in hour long lines.  I think eventually most collectors on here will come to this same conclusion at some point.  It is just a band at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Fine line between collecting and hoarding. I hope I never reach the hoarding status 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Here is a good test.  Sell one of your favorite PJ items.  See how you feel a month afterwards.  My guess is life will be the exact same except you have more room and cash to spend on experiences or stuff you can use. Sorry, I would rather use $30 to golf than to buy Ten for the tenth time.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Will Amazon be selling BINAURAL or RIOT ACT?
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    hsohi said:
    I don't see any of them on there yet, maybe tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure they will be on there.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

And you might want the original release because of some autistic have-all-original-pressings reason.

Autistic? You think that's a cute comparison? Try again dude. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Autistic? You think that's a cute comparison? Try again dude. 
    Was just about to say the same thing. 
  • Options

But why?  To what end?  I am just a recovering collector and it is freeing not having to buy every last thing this band puts out or stand in hour long lines.  I think eventually most collectors on here will come to this same conclusion at some point.  It is just a band at the end of the day.
    Vault 7 is a perfect example. This show was recorded on radio and is perfect, we've all had it for years on our iPhones right? Bootleg vinyl has been around forever as well with the same high quality sound. Why are people paying $50? I'm not getting one because I've already had it for 20 years. It is what it is, I want an Original LP of Binaural. 
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    kramer73 said:
    hsohi said:
    I don't see any of them on there yet, maybe tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure they will be on there.
    Yeah I'm waiting to check Amazon this week too. Due to cost of items and high cost (and time) of shipping I basically only buy from Ten Club if I absolutely can't get it anywhere else. 

Mike's book is a prime example. $24 on Amazon with prime shipping. I can order it tonight for $24 and have it on Tuesday....or order it from Ten Club for $42 and maybe get it within 2 weeks. 
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Does this mean I can finally afford an original Binaural LP? The value can't go up for the originals right?
    I don't really care about the value of records but it will be awesome to be able to buy Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam for reasonable prices. 

Getting a clean copy of Binaural that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is definitely something to be excited about. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I managed to stop collecting to a point. I kept all my guitar picks but sold all posters most stickers and pin badges. It was easier than i thought. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    Here is a good test.  Sell one of your favorite PJ items.  See how you feel a month afterwards.  My guess is life will be the exact same except you have more room and cash to spend on experiences or stuff you can use. Sorry, I would rather use $30 to golf than to buy Ten for the tenth time.
    Using that money to golf or do a host of other activities is much preferred. 
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 587

I've finally arrived at this point as well... 40 years old, fan since '95.  The complete saturation of nostalgia-related shit that this band has churned out in recent years is out of control.  I should pump my brakes... ok, if people are buying it, you can't blame them for making a buck.  
    When this band was my favorite band, back in the day when they were hungry and driven by the now, I did like to buy all the official releases.  Now it's ridiculous to try to even keep up.  And it's ALL looking back.  I'm sure the Let's Play Two footage will be great, but that show was a year ago.  Let's move on.  Let's make new music.  It's all just a very frustrating and long overdue realization that this band is a part-time music-making entity and a merchandise behemoth.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I used to have a "rare" disorder, PJ and other bands. Then I finally came to the conclusion that I was trying to fill some hole and putting myself in the poor house wasn't going to fill it. 

Mind you, I'm not saying all collectors have this same "hole". Some just like to collect. nothing wrong with that. 

I have a few PJ posters just sitting on my desk, along with many other band's gig posters, and I can't even be bothered to sell them. I hate how many gig posters I've wasted money on over the years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    why would the cover art change?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    hsohi said:
    I don't have actual proof, but I would be willing to bet that these will all be on the mass market just like all the other reissues are.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Vault 7 is a perfect example. This show was recorded on radio and is perfect, we've all had it for years on our iPhones right? Bootleg vinyl has been around forever as well with the same high quality sound. Why are people paying $50? I'm not getting one because I've already had it for 20 years. It is what it is, I want an Original LP of Binaural. 
    For me, it's because I ONLY have a set up for vinyl in my home because it sounds the best, both because of the format and my stereo. I never ever listen to digital at home, so it's vinyl or nothing (by choice, obviously). That's just for walking around out of the house with my mp3 player. There are real reasons why people prefer vinyl, both because of sound (either because of the pressing, their stereo, or both), and for the other reasons that people like the format (physically handling it, the process of taking it out, looking at the art, dropping the needle, etc). :) As for bootleg vinyl... I would never buy that. It is illegal and usually shit quality, and therefore a waste of money.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    wnh1977 said:

I've finally arrived at this point as well... 40 years old, fan since '95.  The complete saturation of nostalgia-related shit that this band has churned out in recent years is out of control.  I should pump my brakes... ok, if people are buying it, you can't blame them for making a buck.  
    When this band was my favorite band, back in the day when they were hungry and driven by the now, I did like to buy all the official releases.  Now it's ridiculous to try to even keep up.  And it's ALL looking back.  I'm sure the Let's Play Two footage will be great, but that show was a year ago.  Let's move on.  Let's make new music.  It's all just a very frustrating and long overdue realization that this band is a part-time music-making entity and a merchandise behemoth.
    Let's Play Two isn't "from the past". They made a feature length film about it - obviously that takes time. They can't crank stuff like that out in a few weeks. If they didn't take the time to do that (or to produce/press live vinyl), then they would never produce anything besides a studio album once every 4 or 5 years..... Besides, I have the feeling that the days of putting out amazing studio work is behind them, if the last two albums are any indication. Still, yeah, I am looking forward to seeing what they manage for their next album, which they are indeed planning. Mike and Stone said they have already been working on material for it. I don't feel like reissues or the Vault or Let's Play Two would have sped up that process at all, however, so I don't think these other releases have anything to do with the timing of a new album.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:
    hsohi said:
    I don't have actual proof, but I would be willing to bet that these will all be on the mass market just like all the other reissues are.
    Hope so -
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    why would the cover art change?
    They changed the cover layout on Binaural reissue
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    It seems like there's a lot of us recovering collectors in here. I buy what I can when its reasonable but the problem with the band anymore is that they aren't reasonable, nor is the rabid fan base making it reasonable. 
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,632
    BMo-643 said:
    kramer73 said:
    hsohi said:
    Yeah I'm waiting to check Amazon this week too. Due to cost of items and high cost (and time) of shipping I basically only buy from Ten Club if I absolutely can't get it anywhere else. 

Mike's book is a prime example. $24 on Amazon with prime shipping. I can order it tonight for $24 and have it on Tuesday....or order it from Ten Club for $42 and maybe get it within 2 weeks. 
    Labor violations means big savings. I'll pass. 
  • Options
    wnh1977 said:

"merchandising behemoth". now THAT'S funny! I'll eat my words if there's ever a Stickman casket, but for now, for most people, the stuff this band has put out doesn't even come close to what they COULD put out.  

so you don't buy the band's stuff because Ed's not angry anymore?

at this stage in a band's career like this one, 25 years plus, there is a certain demand from their fan base to look back and reissue things that made them fall in love with the band in the first place, or at least have a tie-in to why they fell in love with the band. people can now afford to buy the things they couldn't when they were 17 years old. 

the band itself (well, Jeff) has stated pretty clearly that he's tired of looking back, which is why you won't see anymore deluxe reissues beyond Vs/Vitalogy. He likes to make new music. all of the guys are pretty active with new music, it just isn't all PJ anymore. and that's fine with me. Would I like a new album? of course I would, but I also don't want them to just toss something together because of some timeline issue. 

talk to anyone the band's age and ask them how much they like travelling for their job. 99% hate it. it takes its toll on people half the band's age. I'd never want to do it. Even before I had kids. it sounds like a horrible way to live. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com