Options

Hurricane Irma

Comments

• Options
    It looks like SC is going to start evacuating on Saturday.  
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    A 60' oak landed on my house during Sandy caused 30k worth of damage I won't ever again stay if any kind of hurricane comes near me and live here on Long Island im just driving up north and staying away ! I hope people heed the warnings get the fuck out while you can ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    A 60' oak landed on my house during Sandy caused 30k worth of damage I won't ever again stay if any kind of hurricane comes near me and live here on Long Island im just driving up north and staying away ! I hope people heed the warnings get the fuck out while you can ! 
    Wow. Was that covered by insurance?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow. Was that covered by insurance?
    Every cent of it ! StateFarm came thru for us ...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Did it come up straight by the root?  The ones I saw were like that.  Just pulled right out of the ground.  The root structure is taller than you when they are toppled over.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Did it come up straight by the root?  The ones I saw were like that.  Just pulled right out of the ground.  The root structure is taller than you when they are toppled over.
    Yep exactly..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Some time back in the early 80's I watched a huge oak- a good 70-75 foot tall giant-  fall in a strong wind.  One of the most both awesome and sad sights I've ever seen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I have relatives in southern Florida who my wife and the rest of my family out here in the west will be keeping close in our hearts these next few days. 

And all us PJ fans here have some really wonderful fellow PJ friends in southern Florida as well, so lots of love and prayers and best wishes and good thoughts going out for them all. 

Be safe, friends.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Newest forecast track is horrible news for florida. But good news for charelston.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
     I really hope people have the time and possibility to move to safety without getting panicked. 
  • Options
    I'll repeat this again.

The barometric pressure is lower than Sandy and just above Katrina, lower is worse.  This means that a wall of water or surge is going to flood anything at sea level or just above it.  

If you have a house on stilts that is 10' high it isn't going to protect you.

Get the hell out of there.

Make a plan to find gas before you leave so you aren't stranded as this seems to be a huge problem.

Be safe.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    brianlux said:
    I have relatives in southern Florida who my wife and the rest of my family out here in the west will be keeping close in our hearts these next few days. 

And all us PJ fans here have some really wonderful fellow PJ friends in southern Florida as well, so lots of love and prayers and best wishes and good thoughts going out for them all. 

Be safe, friends.
    You're right about this.  I have a lot of friends in Miami that are very active in the PJ community.  Very worried about them.  Also, my company's main office is in Bonita Springs.  We closed yesterday but most people headed north on Tues or Wed.  People are very worried about this one, mostly because they just watched Harvey.  
  • Options
    This is what I am most worried about. I only have one tree in my yard and it's so close to the road that if it falls it won't hit my house. But my neighbors on all sides have trees that if they fall, who knows which way they will go. And I know they don't prune or take care of the trees so that makes them even more vulnerable to wind.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ugh.  Hoping it takes an Eastern turn into the Atlantic somehow.  Not looking good for Miami
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Cat 3 hurricane(as of today) right behind Irma.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Ugh.  Hoping it takes an Eastern turn into the Atlantic somehow.  Not looking good for Miami

current models show storm track traveling up I 75 to above atlanta where it picks up I 24 to Nashville.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Forecasts have it turning away from the US though, right?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Forecasts have it turning away from the US though, right?

Jose? for now yes.but you never know do you.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Well I'm as ready as I'll ever be here in the Palm Beach. I even tuned my bicycle in case my cars are incapacitated and took a large amount of cash in case of prolonged power outage. My main worries though are the possible tornados after Irma has passed through. 

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good thoughts to you, g.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Be safe, friends.
    You're right about this.  I have a lot of friends in Miami that are very active in the PJ community.  Very worried about them.  Also, my company's main office is in Bonita Springs.  We closed yesterday but most people headed north on Tues or Wed.  People are very worried about this one, mostly because they just watched Harvey.  
    Yeah, it's very worrisome have friends there.  I heard from a former PJ forum member (he wasn't banned, just hasn't had time to stay active here--  a really great guy) and he said he and his family can't get out because all flights booked or cancelled, gas stations run out of gas, highways jammed.  Hearing that was really jarring.  It's heard to see friends in peril.  All we can do is send love, put out good thoughts.

g under p said:
    Well I'm as ready as I'll ever be here in the Palm Beach. I even tuned my bicycle in case my cars are incapacitated and took a large amount of cash in case of prolonged power outage. My main worries though are the possible tornados after Irma has passed through. 

Peace
    Be safe, g.  I'll be thinking of you this weekend.  Keep us posted!

• Options
    Looks like naples and Miami are fucked
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    g under p said:

Peace
    Good luck from SC!
  • Options
    Looks like naples and Miami are fucked
    Anything low lying so yeah the whole southern tip of Florida.

The keys are going to be leveled.
  • Options
    g under p said:

Peace
    Are you riding it out?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    g under p said:

Peace
    Are you riding it out?
    Oh yes, told my co-workers my set up, a couple thought of coming here to stay with me as I backup I told them yes. It's just me so the more the merrier. I did tell them though if you come bring more Dos Equis. I don't drink much my first beer since my bday in March. Just chilling going through many genre of music, getting a few more gusts in full sunshine.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Are you riding it out?
    Oh yes, told my co-workers my set up, a couple thought of coming here to stay with me as I backup I told them yes. It's just me so the more the merrier. I did tell them though if you come bring more Dos Equis. I don't drink much my first beer since my bday in March. Just chilling going through many genre of music, getting a few more gusts in full sunshine.

Peace
    What's the elevation above sea level where you are at?  You might want to rethink this.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    g under p said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Are you riding it out?

Peace
    good luck man. be safe.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Good luck to all in its path. Looking to be the worst to hit since Andrew in 92.

"The current track of Irma will bring the most severe impacts to the eastern side of the state, including Miami, West Palm Beach, Melbourne, Daytona Beach and Jacksonville. However, with the forecast track now taking Irma right up the Florida Peninsula, hurricane-force winds will reach western parts of the state as well, including Tampa, Fort Myers and Sarasota.

If the track shifts even a little bit to the west, the most severe impacts of the storm would impact western Florida and the lower Keys.

irma track 98 8am

"Irma remains a very powerful and destructive hurricane," AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said.

"Impacts within the projected path of Irma include life-threatening wind, storm surge and flooding rainfall hazards," Kottlowski added.

Conditions will deteriorate rapidly across South Florida and could turn life-threatening Saturday into Sunday. This is when rain and hurricane-force winds will intensify quickly. 

Irma TS winds 98 am

Torrential rainfall, high winds and inundating seas will then increase from south to north across the Florida Peninsula on Sunday into Monday.

A large fetch onshore, or continually blowing winds from the ocean, will cause water to pile up along the Florida coast, Myers explained. With the full moon a few days ago, significant flooding is likely, especially during high tide.

"It's a monster hurricane out there -- it's bringing along with it something to be feared," Myers said, referring to the "extremely angry ocean" that Irma has been churning for so long.

irma hurricane winds 98 am

Irma sustained 185-mph winds for 37 hours, the longest any cyclone in the world has maintained such intensity. Super Typhoon Haiyan previously set the record in 2013 when it maintained winds at that level for 24 hours."

It's a hopeless situation...