Options

Terrorist attack in Quebec

jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
Thoughts are with the Muslim community of Quebec and wider Canada. In a country known for its tolerance and pluralism, this truly is a terrible and extremely worrying development. Where are we heading and can we turn back?

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Thoughts are with the Muslim community of Quebec and wider Canada. In a country known for its tolerance and pluralism, this truly is a terrible and extremely worrying development. Where are we heading and can we turn back?

I've been out of the news of late, so what exactly has happened here?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

I've been out of the news of late, so what exactly has happened here?

Peace
    A terrorist attack last night. 6 were killed and many injured during evening prayers at a mosque

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0130/848625-quebec-shooting-mosque/
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    sickness.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    According to the latest news, the shooter is a white nationalist and big fan of Trump.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Enkidu said:

According to the latest news, the shooter is a white nationalist and big fan of Trump.

Too bad for Sean Spicer. This is why it's important to wait until you have all the facts before making blind statements.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/suspect-in-quebec-mosque-attack-quickly-depicted-as-a-moroccan-muslim-hes-a-white-nationalist/

"White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer exploited the attack to justify President Trump’s ban on immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries. “It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the President is taking steps to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to our nation’s safety and security,” Spicer said at this afternoon’s briefing when speaking of the Quebec City attack.

But these assertions are utterly false. The suspect is neither Moroccan nor Muslim. The Moroccan individual, Mohamed el Khadir, was actually one of the worshippers at the mosque and called 911 to summon the police, and played no role whatsoever in the shooting.

The actual shooting suspect is 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, a white French Canadian who is, by all appearances, a rabid anti-immigrant nationalist. A leader of a local immigration rights groups, François Deschamps, told a local paper he recognized his photo as an anti-immigrant far-right “troll” who has been hostile to the group online. And Bisonnette’s Facebook page – now taken down but still archived – lists among its “likes” the far right French nationalist Marine Le Pen, Islam critics Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald J. Trump (he also “likes” the liberal Canadian Party NDP along with more neutral “likes” such as Tom Hanks, the Sopranos and Katy Perry)."
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

It is a disgusting terror attack fueled by the kind of racism that Trump and other right-wingers around the world are fanning the flames of. The attack doesn't specifically say anything new, but the growing Islamophobia that it highlights is very much something we all have to pay close attention to, especially while certain politicians encourage it and certain voters obviously condone it. If Trump and friends keep going the way they are, such horrible, tragic attacks will continue. Of course the fanatical Muslim attacks will increase too. NOTHING good comes out of fear and xenophobia.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    More accurate titled thread.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:

Enkidu said:

Too bad for Sean Spicer. This is why it's important to wait until you have all the facts before making blind statements.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/suspect-in-quebec-mosque-attack-quickly-depicted-as-a-moroccan-muslim-hes-a-white-nationalist/

"White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer exploited the attack to justify President Trump’s ban on immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries. “It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the President is taking steps to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to our nation’s safety and security,” Spicer said at this afternoon’s briefing when speaking of the Quebec City attack.

But these assertions are utterly false. The suspect is neither Moroccan nor Muslim. The Moroccan individual, Mohamed el Khadir, was actually one of the worshippers at the mosque and called 911 to summon the police, and played no role whatsoever in the shooting.

The actual shooting suspect is 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, a white French Canadian who is, by all appearances, a rabid anti-immigrant nationalist. A leader of a local immigration rights groups, François Deschamps, told a local paper he recognized his photo as an anti-immigrant far-right “troll” who has been hostile to the group online. And Bisonnette’s Facebook page – now taken down but still archived – lists among its “likes” the far right French nationalist Marine Le Pen, Islam critics Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald J. Trump (he also “likes” the liberal Canadian Party NDP along with more neutral “likes” such as Tom Hanks, the Sopranos and Katy Perry)."
    spicer's an idiot.

shocker.

shooter is a trump idolizer.

another shocker.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

Yes, yes it is. Of course, fewer people will read and comment on this one. Interesting, isn't it?
  • Options

dignin said:

Yes, yes it is. Of course, fewer people will read and comment on this one. Interesting, isn't it?
    This is where I will be commenting now going further. Even though a few have made embarrassing comments on the other thread that I would like to challenge.

Thanks for making this thread, because we know the OP of the other thread won't be changing their title to more accurately reflect the truth.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

This is where I will be commenting now going further. Even though a few have made embarrassing comments on the other thread that I would like to challenge.

Thanks for making this thread, because we know the OP of the other thread won't be changing their title to more accurately reflect the truth.
    I had hoped that this terrible event would be viewed with the same horror as any other terrorist attack and that the victims would be afforded the same sympathy and compassion. However, I had a feeling I would be disappointed
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Enkidu said:

Is this a fact?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Enkidu said:

Is this a fact?
    It is a fact that he is a white French-Canadian in his late 20's. I have not heard anything else
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,630
    Wma31394 said:

Enkidu said:

Is this a fact?
    The question first is what meets your threshold and qualifies someone as a white nationalist and big fan of trump?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    His name is Alexandre Bissonnette. He's a 27 year old Quebecois. He looks like he's 14 years old. I'm sure he'll have fun in prison.
    Here's some background on him: http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/alexandre-bissonnette-quebec-city-canada-mosque-shooting-attack-suspect-gunman-shooter-photos-pictures-video-motive/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Wma31394 said:

Enkidu said:

Is this a fact?
    The question first is what meets your threshold and qualifies someone as a white nationalist and big fan of trump?
    Where there posters of The Donald on this guys wall?? I'm just wondering how it's known he's a big supporter.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

His name is Alexandre Bissonnette. He's a 27 year old Quebecois. He looks like he's 14 years old. I'm sure he'll have fun in prison.
    Here's some background on him: http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/alexandre-bissonnette-quebec-city-canada-mosque-shooting-attack-suspect-gunman-shooter-photos-pictures-video-motive/

Another pencil necked little geek shooting innocent people.

Thank gawd for him he did this in Canada. People will be tripping over themselves to rush in and help, or at least understand the idiot.

At some point, most of us will have to try and understand that mommy didn't hug him enough and daddy wasn't around as much as he needed to be... sooo... mass murder.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Enkidu said:

Is this a fact?
    Where there posters of The Donald on this guys wall?? I'm just wondering how it's known he's a big supporter.
    An interview with someone who claimed to be his friend said he was. Plus he liked Trump on facebook. That's all I've heard so far.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Thanks for the link, lots of info there.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

Thank gawd for him he did this in Canada. People will be tripping over themselves to rush in and help, or at least understand the idiot.

At some point, most of us will have to try and understand that mommy didn't hug him enough and daddy wasn't around as much as he needed to be... sooo... mass murder.
    People try to understand why someone kills people in order to prevent it from happening in the future. Not sure why that would be criticized.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I hope all my friends north of here are safe and sound. Prayers to all of the families who have lost loved ones.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

jeffbr said:

People try to understand why someone kills people in order to prevent it from happening in the future. Not sure why that would be criticized.
    And, once figuring out why a pencil necked little worm like this did what he did, we can sit around and talk about how the world could be a better place if only...

We will always have mass murders- it's in our nature. Human beings are angry, volatile, and destructive animals. We'd do better trying to figure out why hippos have it out for us every now and then.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

jeffbr said:

after they figure it out he should be hanged.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

And, once figuring out why a pencil necked little worm like this did what he did, we can sit around and talk about how the world could be a better place if only...

We will always have mass murders- it's in our nature. Human beings are angry, volatile, and destructive animals. We'd do better trying to figure out why hippos have it out for us every now and then.
    I guess since you've thrown in the towel, so should everyone else.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

Let me know when you've figured it all out.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

Let me know when you've figured it all out.
    With people, there's always more to figure out and there's never an end point.
  • Options
    “It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the president is taking steps to be proactive and not reactive on issues of national security,” he said at a news conference Monday afternoon.
    When asked about the travel ban, Spicer used almost the same wording as when he was talking about the Quebec terror attack.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3214989/sean-spicer-hints-quebec-city-mosque-shooting-justifies-trump-travel-ban/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2017

“It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the president is taking steps to be proactive and not reactive on issues of national security,” he said at a news conference Monday afternoon.
    When asked about the travel ban, Spicer used almost the same wording as when he was talking about the Quebec terror attack.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3214989/sean-spicer-hints-quebec-city-mosque-shooting-justifies-trump-travel-ban/

What a piece of shit. It's his and Trump's bullshit that inspires racist attacks like this. Holy fuck, did anyone expect America to turn into such a shit show so quickly?? Or how much it would send shock waves across the planet? I'm pretty blown away from the last few days. Reeling, really.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

ban the NRA
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

What a piece of shit. It's his and Trump's bullshit that inspires racist attacks like this. Holy fuck, did anyone expect America to turn into such a shit show so quickly?? Or how much it would send shock waves across the planet? I'm pretty blown away from the last few days. Reeling, really.
    Well, lets be fair. If Trump and Bannon had their way this white guy wouldn't have had any brown people to shoot at....just women, who apparently this guy didn't like very much.