Options

Your biggest PJ regret

Comments

• Options
    i have many i can think of in the short time ive been into this band.

1. Not getting into the band sooner, even though i was born in 1997. I used to play the shit out of Guitar Hero and pretty much knew all the lyrics to Even Flow by the age of 8-9 in 2005/2006. Still never got into them. I actually ended up becoming a hardcore Guns N' Roses fan at that age. Even by 2010 when they played Jazzfest I wasn't really into them even though I was 13 by that point and that was their first local show since i had even heard a PJ song. That would have been a show to see. If fact I even knew they were coming and my parents who trusted me would have let me gone on my own. Mind you, I probably would have only known one song, i'm sure just being able to see them would have been cool.

2. My mom is a book freak and used to take me to Barnes N Nobles as a child what felt like every weekend. I clearly remember seeing the Live @ the Gorge boxset for like $10. Cant find it for anywhere under $35 these days. Even though I'm not a collector, it seems like I missed out on a steal.

3. I was a cheerleader in high school and had to cheer for my high school's football games every weekend. This caused me to miss Voodoo 2013, even though i had lied to my coach and told her that i had to miss the game that fell on Voodoo because my sister was getting married, lol. Unfortunately my good conscience got the better of me and i ended up going to the game as my high school were playing their rivals to the biggest crowd of the year and the cheerleaders had a performance with younger children for this clinic we had been doing. At that point i was really big on Ten and had been listening to it throughout most of 7th and 8th grade. I think i was a Sophomore at this point in 2013 and knew pretty much all of Ten and some of the other hits and even stuff from Lightening Bolt as Mind Your Manners was a staple on our local radio. I'm pissed at myself as that show got some good Ten and Vs. cuts (RVM would become my favorite song in the years to come... pissed i missed it) and Ledbetter. Still kick myself for missing them and then NIN the next night because i was too pissed i had missed the night before. Gotta love the arrogance.

4. 1 and 3 were finally rectified this year when i got to see the band at Jazzfest. Luckily since 2013 i had grown bigger on PJ since i had met a girl who i made fall in love with Ten. By this point i knew all of Ten and its outtakes, Vs, and most of Vitalogy. My biggest regret was not brining a sign for the song i had requested here on the forum a couple of weeks previously. I had requested Garden for a teacher of mine who had died, and apparently it was written on the setlist and the only song that had been scratched off the setlist too. Not sure why that is. If my memory serves me correctly, i think it was supposed to be played before the Rockin In The Free World jam with the Chili Peppers.

Other things i really had no control over include Eddie canceling his 2014 (?) i think it was Jazzfest performance and not getting the button from the shop for the Jazzfest show before it sold out.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    That I missed two Ed solo shows in Jacksonville a few years back.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Loosing my original wma t-shirt I bought at the regal show..also letting my "cheap ones" t-shirt I caught from Mike from that show go to shit from wearing too much..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    1) not joining the fan club in '93 when I first thought to, and waiting til '96 instead.

2) not buying the Benny vinyl for $35.

3) not going to '03 State College show because I didn't want to drive 6 hours.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Not getting to go to the Vic show. I was living down the street from there but lost out on the lottery. So close, yet so far away.
    ponytd said:

Deciding not to drive up to Moline to try and get a ticket and missed out on No Code

I chose St Louis over Moline, seeing No Code would have been incredible. I did get GA for St Louis though, and I loved every bit of that show, so I don't really regret it.
  • Options
    shprideshpride Posts: 50
    Having Vic tickets in my cart and deciding I probably wouldn't make the trip and letting them go.

Unlike some on here, I did make the drive to penn state
  • Options
    bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 184
    Wma31394 said:

Loosing my original wma t-shirt I bought at the regal show..

I loved that shirt. Bought it at Nola night 1 '93. Damn, wish I still had it.
  • Options
    Not tackling the quarter thrower at Mansfield II '98 when I had my shot.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    Not joining my friends for a few more Canada shows in '05

Not flying out for Mansfield 3 in '03

There is a lot of : if I only knew than what I know now.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,868
    A few minor ones:
    Not picking up "Vs" when it was still called "Five Against One". I had a copy in my hand, but I was young and had no money. Asked my mom if she would buy it (she is a PJ fan) and pointed out that it was on sale. Sign in the store listed "Vs." as on sale, but the album I was holding said, "Five Against One".

Not joining the fan club after buying Vitalogy. Thought about it, didn't pursue it at the time.

Not really knowing about the show posters earlier. If only I could go back to 98 and buy that Octopus poster!

Not seeing them for ten years from 2006 to 2016. In particular not taking my wife to see them.

Not putting in for 10c tickets for Fenway (I'm pretty sure I'd joined in time). Didn't think we'd go, as I detest Fenway seats, and the last show I was at (DMB ~10 years back) was meh. Halfway through the set in Tampa, I knew that we'd be going to Fenway.

One major regret:
    After joining the Ten Club in the early 2000s (not in time for the 2000 tour, but got tickets to Mansfield in 2003), let my membership lapse. In the mid-2000s, I re-joined, and was given my original number back, which is awesome, but I let it lapse again. Re-re-joined this past summer with a number that should get me future tickets about two rows closer than TicketMaster.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    CherylACherylA South Suburbs of Chicago Posts: 23

CherylA said:

Waiting until 2016 to see them. I somehow lost touch with their music after Yield, until a few years ago.

Better late than never.
    Very true!
    Finally! Wrigley 2016, night 1 and night 2
  • Options
    pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Missing Lafayette 1994 and PJ20. Meeting you before Wrigley 2 made up for it though. :)
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    One really, really big regret: Not joining the 10 Club until 2000. I remember seeing "fan club" on many CD liner notes but the idea of it getting me better concert tickets never occurred to me. I was not much of a concert-goer in high school (graduated 1993). My reserved seats have been good but coulda been great.

The only other one I can think of would be in 2003, living in Connecticut, I jumped on the Boston shows (which totally make up for what I'm about to say) and was deciding between Albany and State College. State College was much further away but on the weekend. Chose the shorter drive to a weeknight Albany show. Albany got a two-hour all-hit show and State College, I believe, got their longest show to-that-date, with rarities and that hilarious rendition of Satan's Bed. That one hurt...but like I said, the three Boston shows of 2003 take away most of that sting.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    It's curious the consistent regret of not joining 10C earlier in ones life. I share this one, somewhat...

I remember as a teenager (16 in '92) in Alberta, sending in a clever and poetic fan letter and sometime later sending in a purple $10 bill. I'm not sure I even knew why; to receive a newsletter I think. After not receiving anything I just assumed it was a fan support donation.
    There's dozens of reasons that I never heard back but I was relieved! Happy in fact, enough to not pursue it. I remember feeling glad to not be classified as a stereotype fan. I had this overwhelming connection to all the music and lyrics. They spoke to me and I wanted to have a meaningful respect for them by not being a gaga fan. This idea that they would remain perfect to me if I appreciated in silence at the end of earphones or a speaker. Friends would show me their Christmas singles, and tell about concerts... but they just didn't get it. They didn't GET the music or the meaning that I thought I did and that was my de-motivation for years.

But I was a teenager, chemically imbalanced and loaded with flimsy torment!

Thanks for letting me share.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    I don't have many but these two come to mind.

1. Eating a pair of tickets to the 8/29/00 Mansfield, MA show. It was the first week of my sophomore year of college and I had no car. The friend who had agreed to drive in exchange for my extra ticket bailed at the last minute. Still love that bootleg.

2. Not going to the 7/11/03 Mansfield, MA experiment show. A fellow 10c member I had met at the 7/2/03 show had an extra for me but I turned it down due to concerns that my POS vehicle wouldn't be able to make the drive as it was overheating all the time. In hindsight I wish I had just went for it and dealt with the consequences as they came.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889

I need you to elaborate on this story. Lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    1. My best friend bought 3 tickets to the Alpine show on the Binural tour for my birthday and to take his GF. They broke up a couple weeks before the show and she ran with the tickets.

2. Not really in my control, but I found out after the fact that a buddy of mine had extra tickets to the '93 Summerfest show with the legendary Little Wing/Maggot Brain performance. He said he didnt feel like going....Grrr!

3. I know it's not Pearl Jam but still a big music regret. My dad worked Public Safety at Marquette. He asked me if I wanted to go to a concert at the student Union he was working security for and I declined not knowing the band at the time. Ended up being Nirvana!
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 821
    1) Not seeing them before 1998 (I was at Michigan State University from 1991-1995 but should have made it to a show sooner).
    2) Not joining the Ten Club until after I went to a couple shows in 2000.
    3) Getting married the same night they played The Palace of Auburn Hills (MI) on 10.07.00. I should have rearranged my reception and went! Just kidding...but you can bet if I would have known they'd be playing around that time, I'd have arranged the wedding around the show.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2017
    In 2011 during PJ20 Alpine Valley weekend. I live 25 miles from Alpine Valley.
    Went to both shows of course. I find out the next day, the day after the shows, Monday, that Eddie & Dennis Rodman, stopped in Sunday midday between noon and 1:00 my favorite local watering hole where I go all the time, for happy hour after work a couple times/week or whatever.
    Everybody there knows I love PJ. And the bartenders there are saying to me Monday, Hey, YOU MISSED IT EDDIE & DENNIS RODMAN STOPPED IN YESTERDAY for a few.
    I was at home on my couch relaxing from the Saturday show, watching the Cubs game, thinking after Cubs game, I'll head back out to Alpine for night #2!! Guess I should have watched Cubs game at Chuck's(bar) that day.
    Chuck's is a fun bar across the park from Abbey Resort,
    Which was one of the
    (Ticket/Hotel packages).
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Gyven2Fly said:

1. My best friend bought 3 tickets to the Alpine show on the Binural tour for my birthday and to take his GF. They broke up a couple weeks before the show and she ran with the tickets.

2. Not really in my control, but I found out after the fact that a buddy of mine had extra tickets to the '93 Summerfest show with the legendary Little Wing/Maggot Brain performance. He said he didnt feel like going....Grrr!

3. I know it's not Pearl Jam but still a big music regret. My dad worked Public Safety at Marquette. He asked me if I wanted to go to a concert at the student Union he was working security for and I declined not knowing the band at the time. Ended up being Nirvana!

Hey a fellow PJ fan Wisconsinite?
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    mfc2006 said:

Buying the Benny CD instead of the vinyl. Why didn't I buy the vinyl?? My record player was broken. Idiot!

You can add the following for me:
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Lost Dogs
    Rearviewmirror
    Avocado

And I think even No Code and Yield as well.

Basically, I joined 10C in January 2013. My first newsletter had a LOT of that stuff on vinyl for sale for under $20.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    EtnixEtnix Posts: 49
    Going to prom instead of seeing them in 91 in Lawrence KS for day on the hill....
  • Options
    EtnixEtnix Posts: 49
    oh and also loosing my original member # :(
  • Options
    - Not paying 80 bucks for Binaural in vinyl. (I mean, I later payd like 100 dollars for NIN The Fragile)

- Not staying in Ireland and catching the Belfast show in 2009

- Not going to the NY shows in 2013 while being in the city (waiting for the Philly shows)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RYME said:

Gyven2Fly said:

Most of my life. Live in Waukesha currently.
  • Options
    Not going to the moline show. Wasn't planning on it due to a wine tasting trip my wife planned with friends. Checked the setlist the next day and my stomach sank, biggest regret .
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited January 2017
    Just that I had the flu when I went to Missoula 2012. It kind of fucked up my whole trip, and I got some other fans sick (i got sick on my way there, so cancelling and sparing people from it wasn't an option), and I was in the pit for the show, which, while still awesome, had a hint of personal torture involved too. I was lucky I didn't collapse. I really really wish I'd been healthy for that trip/show!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Letting my membership lapse from 1996 until late 1998. 10C number went from 75xxx to 198xxx :(
  • Options
    Gyven2Fly said:

RYME said:

Gyven2Fly said:

Most of my life. Live in Waukesha currently.
    Walworth co.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I need you to elaborate on this story. Lol
    Not a story, but I was directly behind the guy that threw the quarter at Mansfield II '98 that almost ended the show on the spot.