Options

Education

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2016
    pjalive21 said:

riley540 said:

tbergs said:

I still am wondering what you meant by political propaganda?

I agree, not everyone should go to college if they aren't sure why or for what. High school counselors and parents should be helping their children make an informed decision. Take some time to decide if a trade is a better option or do some job shadowing.

Not having any direction isn't an option either though.

An example, yesterday my girlfriends communications teacher was trying to recruite students to march against Donald trump... I'm not a trump fan, but cmon. Techers shouldn't do that shit

I went to a Liberal university and let me tell you this is the norm...one of my professors for an hour was railing on republicans and conservatives, which i am fiscally but not socially and being that i wasn't a traditional student and was older than the average college kid i challenged him on his POV and he didn't like it
    What was his specific point of view that you challenged him on? I hear these things being said about liberal bias in education, but I'm not seeing a lot of substance. As a grad student I can honestly say I don't see it. I wouldn't be able to guess the political affiliations of most of the professors I have had. True, college isn't for everyone and there is nothing wrong with earning a living without a degree, but I would never argue against more education. Are some of you saying price is the issue? Should college be free?
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    College should NOT be free and im for education and you are right its not for everyone

I challenged him specifically on pushing his views that all conservatives and republicans all fall in line on every issue as he stated that they were all for taking personal rights away, anti gay, pro-life, gun huggers, bible thumpers...yadda yadda...im a hybrid and i challenged him on it and he tried telling me that if i labeled myself in any alignment with a republican view then i was a republican..not true...like i stated im conservative fiscally and socially more liberal as im pro-choice with some restrictions, pro-gay, non-religious, against the bathroom law, i could go on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2016
    pjalive21 said:

College should NOT be free and im for education and you are right its not for everyone

I challenged him specifically on pushing his views that all conservatives and republicans all fall in line on every issue as he stated that they were all for taking personal rights away, anti gay, pro-life, gun huggers, bible thumpers...yadda yadda...im a hybrid and i challenged him on it and he tried telling me that if i labeled myself in any alignment with a republican view then i was a republican..not true...like i stated im conservative fiscally and socially more liberal as im pro-choice with some restrictions, pro-gay, non-religious, against the bathroom law, i could go on

So you had one professor who said these things and you feel this makes it the norm? I feel like that's a reach.

As a side note - Didn't you just vote for someone who said he is pro-life, said women who have abortions should be punished, and wants to spend a fortune to build a wall while cutting taxes at the same time? Those things don't really seem to line up with your views.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

pjalive21 said:

So you had one professor who said these things and you feel this makes it the norm? I feel like that's a reach.

As a side note - Didn't you just vote for someone who said he is pro-life, said women who have abortions should be punished, and wants to spend a fortune to build a wall while cutting taxes at the same time? Those things don't really seem to line up with your views.
    there has never been a president/candidate that has fallen in line with my views 100%
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

there has never been a president/candidate that has fallen in line with my views 100%
    So which one of those views you listed does Trump fall in line with? I mean, you actually voted against most of them. People voting against their own interests is a strong case for more education.
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

So which one of those views you listed does Trump fall in line with? I mean, you actually voted against most of them. People voting against their own interests is a strong case for more education.
    he has stated he is for the LGBT community, which is a nice change...i agree with his immigration stance on illegals and vetting, economic plan, parts of his tax plan...we will see how it all plays out...he definitely wasn't near a first choice but here he is
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,897
    Oh, I thought we were discussing the song... Carry on
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

he has stated he is for the LGBT community, which is a nice change...i agree with his immigration stance on illegals and vetting, economic plan, parts of his tax plan...we will see how it all plays out...he definitely wasn't near a first choice but here he is
    He says he is for the LGBT community but his choices say otherwise. His VP choice actually believes in conversion therapy. How does someone who is pro LGBT reconcile that decision? Or Bannon?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited November 2016
    Most 4 year degrees are a waste of time. Unless you are going to do heart surgery or something that is important for public safety, I think 2 years in your core field is enough and then you'll learn more on the job in 1 year than you would have in the four you would have spent in college wasting your money.

In most careers you continually learn new things throughout your career, and the first two years are a huge learning curve. So, if you could leave school after 2 years knowing 10% of what you'll end up learning in your career, versus leaving school after 4 years knowing 15% of what you'll end up needing to know in your career, than I would choose the two year option and start getting paid to learn the rest.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013

pjalive21 said:

As repeated a hundred time in other threads, that is a gross misrepresentation of what Trump actually said or what said he plans to do. Not really related to this thread, but the things taken out of context about this election is just getting ridiculous and out of control at this point.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

As repeated a hundred time in other threads, that is a gross misrepresentation of what Trump actually said or what said he plans to do. Not really related to this thread, but the things taken out of context about this election is just getting ridiculous and out of control at this point.
    Please provide the context you speak of, because I remember when Matthews grilled him about it and what was said. I also remember the backlash and then his campaign coming out to "correct" what he said.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

Please provide the context you speak of, because I remember when Matthews grilled him about it and what was said. I also remember the backlash and then his campaign coming out to "correct" what he said.
    He has never said he wants to pay for a wall-his slogan is even to get Mexico to pay for it. I don't think he actually will, so I don't think a wall will even get built, but you stated he wants to spend a fortune to do it. He doesn't.

His comment about punishing women for abortion was completely taken out of context. If all someone read or heard was some CNN headline with his quote, then it does sound like that. If you watch the 2 minute segment where that question came from you'd see it was a hypothetical question where he was asked if it was federally illegal should women be punished. Completely irrelevant because he doesn't even want to make it federally illegal. So he attempted to dodge the question, was pushed to answer it, and responded that yes, if it was federally illegal there should be a consequence. Which makes complete sense, why have a federal law and not enforce it? If you dont agree with the federal law then change it, don't just not enforce it. So it was a dumb question. But he doesn't want it to be a federal law, so therefore he doesn't want to punish women for it.
    But again all the CNN headline will read is "Trump wants to punish women for abortions."
  • Options

Most 4 year degrees are a waste of time. Unless you are going to do heart surgery or something that is important for public safety, I think 2 years in your core field is enough and then you'll learn more on the job in 1 year than you would have in the four you would have spent in college wasting your money.

In most careers you continually learn new things throughout your career, and the first two years are a huge learning curve. So, if you could leave school after 2 years knowing 10% of what you'll end up learning in your career, versus leaving school after 4 years knowing 15% of what you'll end up needing to know in your career, than I would choose the two year option and start getting paid to learn the rest.

There are plenty of corporate environments that will not allow you to reach a certain level of promotion without a bachelor's degree. It's not limited to heart surgeon and engineer type positions. I choose to not be limited in my ability to climb the ladder.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

He has never said he wants to pay for a wall-his slogan is even to get Mexico to pay for it. I don't think he actually will, so I don't think a wall will even get built, but you stated he wants to spend a fortune to do it. He doesn't.

His comment about punishing women for abortion was completely taken out of context. If all someone read or heard was some CNN headline with his quote, then it does sound like that. If you watch the 2 minute segment where that question came from you'd see it was a hypothetical question where he was asked if it was federally illegal should women be punished. Completely irrelevant because he doesn't even want to make it federally illegal. So he attempted to dodge the question, was pushed to answer it, and responded that yes, if it was federally illegal there should be a consequence. Which makes complete sense, why have a federal law and not enforce it? If you dont agree with the federal law then change it, don't just not enforce it. So it was a dumb question. But he doesn't want it to be a federal law, so therefore he doesn't want to punish women for it.
    But again all the CNN headline will read is "Trump wants to punish women for abortions."
    You are correct about the wall. I should have said he campaigned on building a wall that Mexico will pay for(they won't). Therefore he wants to build a wall that will cost the tax payers a fortune. I, like you, think it will never happen. It's puzzling to me how this guy gets a pass for talking out of his ass with all these promises, but somehow he isn't a politician. It's going to be different under him, what a con.

As for the abortion thing, hypothetical or not. He said it. I watched it.

My overall point in my response to his positions, was that Trump is pro-life and there is no reason to believe that his proposed policies are fiscally responsible. His administration is also unlikely to be friendly to the LGBT community.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

This is whole magical redefining of trump's words and positions that got him elected. What he said about abortion wasn't out of context. On a side note, just that exchange alone with Matthews screams that he isn't oresident material. He sounds like an entitled spoiled brat as he tries to flip the questions back on Matthews and try to apply it to Matthew's religion. We have an inellectual and interpersonal child as president now. Thanks trump voters.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

This is whole magical redefining of trump's words and positions that got him elected. What he said about abortion wasn't out of context. On a side note, just that exchange alone with Matthews screams that he isn't oresident material. He sounds like an entitled spoiled brat as he tries to flip the questions back on Matthews and try to apply it to Matthew's religion. We have an inellectual and interpersonal child as president now. Thanks trump voters.
    I don't see how that was "magical redefining."
    He said he didn't want a federal ban on abortion. He was asked hypothetical if there was one, should there be consequences. He said yes if there's a federal ban, but there shouldn't be a federal ban. That does not translate into "Trump wants to punish women."
    It just doesn't.
    As far as the hypothetical part not being relevant, it completely is. If someone was asked "if there was no speed limits, should you still give a speeding ticket, even if it was in a school zone?" and you respond "well no, you cant it there's no speed limit." Should they go and claim that you don't want to give speeding tickets for people going 80 mph in a school zone? No. And he was asked a hypothetical question for which he didn't agree with the basis of that question, that doesn't define his stance. I don't get how that is defining him.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

He said he didn't want a federal ban on abortion. He was asked hypothetical if there was one, should there be consequences. He said yes if there's a federal ban, but there shouldn't be a federal ban. That does not translate into "Trump wants to punish women."
    It just doesn't.
    As far as the hypothetical part not being relevant, it completely is. If someone was asked "if there was no speed limits, should you still give a speeding ticket, even if it was in a school zone?" and you respond "well no, you cant it there's no speed limit." Should they go and claim that you don't want to give speeding tickets for people going 80 mph in a school zone? No. And he was asked a hypothetical question for which he didn't agree with the basis of that question, that doesn't define his stance. I don't get how that is defining him.
    When I read and saw the exchange, I interpreted it differently. The topic had moved away from the hypothetical at that point.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

It just doesn't.
    When I read and saw the exchange, I interpreted it differently. The topic had moved away from the hypothetical at that point.

I was responding to 2 comments.. The hypothetical statement was just the previous comment before yours. And if some are taking hypothetical questions as literal scenarios and forming opinions based off a false narrative as a result I think it is worth pointing out.
    It is ridiculous what is repeated. I've seen claims from multiple posters that Trump wants to sleep with his daughter to he's working with the KKK. Most are ridiculous, and started with taking someone he said (maybe something even vulgar, he is kinda a creepy old dude, I'll give people that) and turned it into something completely different than what was actually said.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

pjalive21 said:

It just doesn't.

I was responding to 2 comments.. The hypothetical statement was just the previous comment before yours. And if some are taking hypothetical questions as literal scenarios and forming opinions based off a false narrative as a result I think it is worth pointing out.
    It is ridiculous what is repeated. I've seen claims from multiple posters that Trump wants to sleep with his daughter to he's working with the KKK. Most are ridiculous, and started with taking someone he said (maybe something even vulgar, he is kinda a creepy old dude, I'll give people that) and turned it into something completely different than what was actually said.
    To me, the comments about his daighter are creepy, but more so for me because he's an admitted sex offender. The daughter comments reflects poor boundaries, which is very common for sex offenders. I'm taking what he actually said and looking at it with a different lens, because I have several years of experienvmce working with sex offenders. You're probably normal, so you're looking at it through a 'normal' lens. Re: kkk, I don't see him as working direclty with the kkk, bit he is doing their work. There agenda is now fully integrated into the white house with trump's policies and Bannon as his advisor.
  • Options
    Can we shift back to education? I really am curious about more instances of liberal bias. I really haven't experienced it. Are we talking about the professors or the material? Both?
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128

Can we shift back to education? I really am curious about more instances of liberal bias. I really haven't experienced it. Are we talking about the professors or the material? Both?

Text books target people in conservative media outlets. I'm not for biased media one way or another, but they specifically bash the conservatives.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    riley540 said:

Text books target people in conservative media outlets. I'm not for biased media one way or another, but they specifically bash the conservatives.
    Again, can you provide some examples of this?

Edit- actually, can you provide multiple examples that would constitute a pattern of liberal bias in education?
  • Options
    Sorry for the derailment. I have seen surveys that put something like over 90% of professors as democrats, I believe that to be true. And I've seen interviews with conservative professors where they claim their political position has negatively impacted their career. Not so sure about that. Seems like one of those D-list republican celebrities who blame their political stance for the reason they get passed over. Yeah, sure Kevin Sorbo, that's the reason you weren't cast in anything for the last 15 years.
    I didn't go to a public school, but many who did will tell you they write their papers in the position they believe their professor to take. Other than that I doubt it has a major impact.
  • Options

riley540 said:

There was a photograph of tweets that Ann Coulter made in a textbook. Talking about how she is one of many problems in the country. I don't like her. But that is a bias. Also, my girlfriend had to watch a documentary about how Fox News is evil. Again, I watch any news station, and they all have bias one way or another. They target the right in college
  • Options
    Quite a few teachers at Western Washington made class optional after the election so people could moap over the Hillary loss.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    riley540 said:

Quite a few teachers at Western Washington made class optional after the election so people could moap over the Hillary loss.

Awww, gotta protect the sensitive snowflakes.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    mace1229 said:

Sorry for the derailment. I have seen surveys that put something like over 90% of professors as democrats, I believe that to be true. And I've seen interviews with conservative professors where they claim their political position has negatively impacted their career. Not so sure about that. Seems like one of those D-list republican celebrities who blame their political stance for the reason they get passed over. Yeah, sure Kevin Sorbo, that's the reason you weren't cast in anything for the last 15 years.
    I didn't go to a public school, but many who did will tell you they write their papers in the position they believe their professor to take. Other than that I doubt it has a major impact.

I wouldn't doubt there are more democrats teaching, I'm just not sure that means there is a liberal slant in universities. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I wouldn't be able to tell you most of my professors' political affiliations. So I wouldn't be able to cater to their views. In fact, the few that did hint at it, weren't exclusively democrat and I considered them all to be unprofessional.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

There was a photograph of tweets that Ann Coulter made in a textbook. Talking about how she is one of many problems in the country. I don't like her. But that is a bias. Also, my girlfriend had to watch a documentary about how Fox News is evil. Again, I watch any news station, and they all have bias one way or another. They target the right in college
    What were the classes/texts where these things occurred? I'm curious of the context. Also, saying "they target the right in college" doesn't mean that it's true everywhere. It seems like you've had an experience where you felt that way and are attaching it to all universities. As I've stated, I haven't experienced these things, but I'm not willing to say it doesn't happen anywhere. That would be a blanket generalization.
  • Options
    Conservatives perceive liberal bias in schools because nearly everything conservatives believe in can be dismantled with facts and information. Why would you have conservatives around in an environment where you're exposed to logic, history, science, and facts? I'm sure I may have upset some of the snowflakes in here. Have at it.