• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    I

lbpeltz said:

You are.

There, I won the argument with two words against your many fact free words. Have fun with Cheney 2.0, klansman.

Klansman? I mean, I understand we are airing our thoughts on the website forums of a rock and roll band and not a more formal setting, but this, sir, is pattently untrue. I don't think anything I've said begets a response like this, and I can assure you, the person I am does not either.

I sat down two weeks before the election with four people whom I represent, all undocumented, all hard working, two with families and all four seriously injured as a result of a car accident. I spoke with them about how they and their community felt about a possible Trump nomination, utter terror. I went home and thought of them all night, near tears. We have to make tought decisions, I assure you that the decision to vote for Donald Trump was hard on many, and yes, easy for a racist faction. The thing is, you don't have the right to call be a racist, biggot and xenophobe, not me and not anyone else based solely on how they voted. I have no hate in my heart and you don't have the right to try to plant it their either.

Facts in a single meme over not a single one in a triple letter paragraph. Thanks for proving my point, deplorable.
    Facts? Where have you given me a fact here?
  • Options

You are.

There, I won the argument with two words against your many fact free words. Have fun with Cheney 2.0, klansman.

You are.

Or here
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

come to find out the Deplorables are liberals and democrats...burning the flag and once again rioting...i think we need to fear you more than we need to fear anyone who voted Trump

these sore losers are no different than the people they accused of being deplorable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlWmCXihec4
    Or here
  • Options

Republicans were LITERALLY calling for acts of civil disobedience should Trump lose, now they're upset that the other side is protesting.

Makes sense.

He's Rocky Mountain stupid.
    Or here.

I don't see you trying to be anything but inflammatory.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

imagine the fear going to work and your company telling you this...talk about fear mongering

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/boss-says-employees-who-agree-with-trumps-rhetoric-should-resign.html

why shouldn't you be able to fire someone for their political views? that's not a protected class.
    Yet another example of that conservatives have a reason to fear liberals and proof that liberals are more intolerant. Liberals think that "taking their country back" is code for racism. They couldn't be more wrong. It is about liberals who want to fire you for not thinking what they think. It is hearing stories about the US flag being deemed offensive and banned from schools, and then seeing it burned after the election. It is the church being constantly under attack and being belittled for believing in religion (if you ask Haiti I would be they are more thankful for the churches sending aid workers than the Clinton Foundation). It is having to listen to people on the coasts belittle them as hillbillies. It is the corporations in Silicon Valley who have way too much influence in politics. They see the elite going to globalist meetings and returning with trade deals and other arrangements that only help the few at the top. Sure, it is also tax dollars they've worked hard for paying for services to illegal immigrants when their town and state's infrastructure crumbles, schools go unfunded and their paycheck decreases each year.
  • Options
    How much longer are we going to have look at stupid memes? Are there any more smug people than those that create sarcastic memes?
  • Options

How much longer are we going to have look at stupid memes? Are there any more smug people than those that create sarcastic memes?

It's how many angry people try to communicate on the web. Some people use the same meme words but just change the picture over and over again.
    No one understands this phenomenon.
    Some even consider it trolling for lack of other things to fulfill their daily time w/.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

imagine the fear going to work and your company telling you this...talk about fear mongering

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/boss-says-employees-who-agree-with-trumps-rhetoric-should-resign.html

why shouldn't you be able to fire someone for their political views? that's not a protected class.
    Yet another example of that conservatives have a reason to fear liberals and proof that liberals are more intolerant. Liberals think that "taking their country back" is code for racism. They couldn't be more wrong. It is about liberals who want to fire you for not thinking what they think. It is hearing stories about the US flag being deemed offensive and banned from schools, and then seeing it burned after the election. It is the church being constantly under attack and being belittled for believing in religion (if you ask Haiti I would be they are more thankful for the churches sending aid workers than the Clinton Foundation). It is having to listen to people on the coasts belittle them as hillbillies. It is the corporations in Silicon Valley who have way too much influence in politics. They see the elite going to globalist meetings and returning with trade deals and other arrangements that only help the few at the top. Sure, it is also tax dollars they've worked hard for paying for services to illegal immigrants when their town and state's infrastructure crumbles, schools go unfunded and their paycheck decreases each year.
    i have had enough of people talking in generalities like this. i can't imagine anyone, besides maybe the poster you were responding to, believing it is ok to fire someone for their political beliefs. that's bullshit.

some individuals may think this way. some may be liberals, some may be conservatives. liberals, generally as a group, do not fucking think this way. claiming otherwise is bullshit. utter bullshit. i can't imagine conservatives, in generap, do either.

stop your liberal hating fear mongering. it is so incredibly false, it's difficult to even articulate it properly.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the church under attack. that's rich. my homophobic bigoted brother claimed the same thing. "but it's my beliefs", yeah, your beliefs are bigoted. all fags go to hell. what a nice, uplifting message to teach your children.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

i have had enough of people talking in generalities like this. i can't imagine anyone, besides maybe the poster you were responding to, believing it is ok to fire someone for their political beliefs. that's bullshit.

some individuals may think this way. some may be liberals, some may be conservatives. liberals, generally as a group, do not fucking think this way. claiming otherwise is bullshit. utter bullshit. i can't imagine conservatives, in generap, do either.

stop your liberal hating fear mongering. it is so incredibly false, it's difficult to even articulate it properly.
    You know, I might be able to agree with you if there weren't so many damn examples in the last three days supporting my conclusion.
  • Options

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

You know, I might be able to agree with you if there weren't so many damn examples in the last three days supporting my conclusion.
    so what you are saying then, to me, is the equivalent of me saying there's a damn good argument for all republicans being racist shitheads, based solely from what i read on amt the last 8 years. do you believe that to be true?

people are upset. people are even a little scared. you can't take an honest sampling of opinion during a time like this. no more than you could when gwb began his second term. or when obama started his. people are emotional. there's a lot of shit from the left i am not agreeing with, like all this whining about the electoral college. wait. it's only a problem, because hillary lost, right? "no, that's not what we're saying! it's just not fair". sounds the same as trump's rigged election bullshit.

but all this divisiveness on both sides isn't fucking helping. "the libs do this, the conservatives do that". it's like a fucking sandbox in here. and it needs to stop.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Hugh your right...maybe there should be no political discussions here...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

sometimes there can be actual adult conversations. not lately, though. some people only care about "winning", which doesn't even make sense to me.

aren't we all losing here?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    This might hurt going in...

The nightmares liberals have over Trump are nothing compared to the dictatorships they forced others to live under

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/11/spoiled-americans-flee-created-161110075835725.html
  • Options
    Well-written article with some interesting takes on our political socialization and immaturity, but I do take exception to a number of these points. Mainly because, like so many articles I'm reading this week, it paints with such a broad brush. I can only speak personally, but isn't that the point? Generalizing language like this that lumps people into large groups and projects the beliefs/voting tendencies of others onto the individual is dangerous, especially when based on skin color, gender, state of residence or sexuality. I'd like to hear more constructive commentary from thoughtful individuals, whether they look like me or not and whether they voted the way I did or not. Whatever your perspective, what are WE doing to make our country a better place to live? How are we making the world a safer place?

Obviously, people in other parts of the world have suffered unimaginable atrocities, under horrible dictators - hopefully, far worse than any Americans will under Donald Trump. That's not the issue and it's not what this is about. Again, personally, I am disappointed because I don't believe that Trump's policies will mean progress for our county or our world. I'm also concerned that as a leader, he doesn't have the qualities that are representative of the best that America has to offer. Truly, I feel that he is among the worst things that we could possibly export to the rest of the world. I am afraid that he will drive the US further from being the goal of being an integral partner in peace to other countries and people around the world. That is my dream, and today, in these United States, I believe we should expect more from our leadership.

The author also draws a comparison between Syrian refugees and Americans "threatening" to leave. The comparison is unfair for many reasons, especially considering the violence and injustices that Syrians are fleeing. For Syrians, this is a matter of escape. For those of us Americans who have the ability to leave, it's a choice. I have the means to live elsewhere and I know where I would go. I am able to weigh the options and make an informed decision regarding the quality of my life and the security of my future. No one else has the right to criticize me for that decision. People make decisions like this all the time when they take a new job, change careers or buy a home.

Trump being elected is polarizing, but let's remind ourselves that this is not happening in a vacuum. Many factors, events, policy decisions, previous elections, economic and cultural changes have led to this point. Literally, all of history led us to this point. However, for me, this one event - although it is a single event, marks a significant step in the wrong direction. His proposed policies on the issues that are most important to me - gun control, climate change and social inequality - are so, so far apart that it's hard to see a compromise. And if I'm being honest, I'm just shocked by the fact that 59 million of my fellow countrymen could align themselves with this individual and his stance on these topics. I'm equally shocked that over 100 million more didn't even care enough to cast a vote. What all this means to me is that this one event marks a significant turning point in our history and I now have serious doubts about my future in this country. I'll add that I am not a racial or ethnic minority as I was when I lived abroad in the past. I can only imagine the insecurity that other people and families of a minority background are feeling right now.

Einstein (pretty smart guy) said that peace can't be kept by force, only by understanding. He also said that the governments of the world won't give peace to their people until we want it desperately enough. It's 2016 - if we can't see by now that what is good for our fellow man or woman down the street, in a neighboring state, country or hemisphere, then what hope do we have?

Sorry it was long. Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

Well-written article with some interesting takes on our political socialization and immaturity, but I do take exception to a number of these points. Mainly because, like so many articles I'm reading this week, it paints with such a broad brush. I can only speak personally, but isn't that the point? Generalizing language like this that lumps people into large groups and projects the beliefs/voting tendencies of others onto the individual is dangerous, especially when based on skin color, gender, state of residence or sexuality. I'd like to hear more constructive commentary from thoughtful individuals, whether they look like me or not and whether they voted the way I did or not. Whatever your perspective, what are WE doing to make our country a better place to live? How are we making the world a safer place?

Obviously, people in other parts of the world have suffered unimaginable atrocities, under horrible dictators - hopefully, far worse than any Americans will under Donald Trump. That's not the issue and it's not what this is about. Again, personally, I am disappointed because I don't believe that Trump's policies will mean progress for our county or our world. I'm also concerned that as a leader, he doesn't have the qualities that are representative of the best that America has to offer. Truly, I feel that he is among the worst things that we could possibly export to the rest of the world. I am afraid that he will drive the US further from being the goal of being an integral partner in peace to other countries and people around the world. That is my dream, and today, in these United States, I believe we should expect more from our leadership.

The author also draws a comparison between Syrian refugees and Americans "threatening" to leave. The comparison is unfair for many reasons, especially considering the violence and injustices that Syrians are fleeing. For Syrians, this is a matter of escape. For those of us Americans who have the ability to leave, it's a choice. I have the means to live elsewhere and I know where I would go. I am able to weigh the options and make an informed decision regarding the quality of my life and the security of my future. No one else has the right to criticize me for that decision. People make decisions like this all the time when they take a new job, change careers or buy a home.

Trump being elected is polarizing, but let's remind ourselves that this is not happening in a vacuum. Many factors, events, policy decisions, previous elections, economic and cultural changes have led to this point. Literally, all of history led us to this point. However, for me, this one event - although it is a single event, marks a significant step in the wrong direction. His proposed policies on the issues that are most important to me - gun control, climate change and social inequality - are so, so far apart that it's hard to see a compromise. And if I'm being honest, I'm just shocked by the fact that 59 million of my fellow countrymen could align themselves with this individual and his stance on these topics. I'm equally shocked that over 100 million more didn't even care enough to cast a vote. What all this means to me is that this one event marks a significant turning point in our history and I now have serious doubts about my future in this country. I'll add that I am not a racial or ethnic minority as I was when I lived abroad in the past. I can only imagine the insecurity that other people and families of a minority background are feeling right now.

Einstein (pretty smart guy) said that peace can't be kept by force, only by understanding. He also said that the governments of the world won't give peace to their people until we want it desperately enough. It's 2016 - if we can't see by now that what is good for our fellow man or woman down the street, in a neighboring state, country or hemisphere, then what hope do we have?

Really good post and great points. Those are exactly the same things I've been discussing with my wife. I don't need anyone telling me to stay calm, I am calm. What I am, is disappointed with our country and the fact that we have elected a man who has only ever cared about making money for himself no matter what the cost or corners cut to make a buck.

It's astounding to think he received 60 million votes, but it's even more astounding to think barely 50% of the country voted! That's really why he won. I'm proud to say that the fine state of MN did our part at about 75%, which still isn't where it should be and should be at least that in every state.

I can't imagine feeling like I needed to move out of the country because of fear for loss of human rights. That is not what our country should be regressing towards. We have a friend who is in an interracial relationship and she talked about some of the fears she was feeling because they are taking a road trip to Texas (from Minnesota) and would be passing through some of the biggest supporting states in the country. She wasn't being irrational or over reacting about it, but just expressing the uncertainty they felt and the challenges they could encounter. No, not every Trump supporter thinks that way, but it makes you wonder if there is less tolerance than what has been portrayed. It's not an issue I have to contemplate, but it is disparaging. The other big fear, is the impact on our environment and the respect we command at an international level. This election result erodes that even if Trump can pull himself together and learn respect, humility and integrity once he takes the oath.

One thing should be clear, this election has got to be the tipping point for American politics and elections. Changes must be made to stop the 2 party stranglehold.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ^^^
    Changes have to made to the 2 party stranglehold?
    Why?
    I thought in your country Republicans never win an election and they are just fodder for Democrats.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

lukin2006 said:

sometimes there can be actual adult conversations. not lately, though. some people only care about "winning", which doesn't even make sense to me.

aren't we all losing here?
    Yes we are
    There seems to be a lot of people espousing a rhetoric of fear, hate, and ignorance post election.
    And a lot of fear, hate, and ignorance on here as well.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    tbergs said:

Really good post and great points. Those are exactly the same things I've been discussing with my wife. I don't need anyone telling me to stay calm, I am calm. What I am, is disappointed with our country and the fact that we have elected a man who has only ever cared about making money for himself no matter what the cost or corners cut to make a buck.

It's astounding to think he received 60 million votes, but it's even more astounding to think barely 50% of the country voted! That's really why he won. I'm proud to say that the fine state of MN did our part at about 75%, which still isn't where it should be and should be at least that in every state.

I can't imagine feeling like I needed to move out of the country because of fear for loss of human rights. That is not what our country should be regressing towards. We have a friend who is in an interracial relationship and she talked about some of the fears she was feeling because they are taking a road trip to Texas (from Minnesota) and would be passing through some of the biggest supporting states in the country. She wasn't being irrational or over reacting about it, but just expressing the uncertainty they felt and the challenges they could encounter. No, not every Trump supporter thinks that way, but it makes you wonder if there is less tolerance than what has been portrayed. It's not an issue I have to contemplate, but it is disparaging. The other big fear, is the impact on our environment and the respect we command at an international level. This election result erodes that even if Trump can pull himself together and learn respect, humility and integrity once he takes the oath.

One thing should be clear, this election has got to be the tipping point for American politics and elections. Changes must be made to stop the 2 party stranglehold.
    You really think Trump is going to take human rights away?

and yes she is overreacting...yeah people like this are all over the country but this just didnt start because of Trump

fear mongering is worse now than ever
  • Options
    Is this what everyone is afraid of?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/obama-administration-drone-strikes-donald-trump

Obama will not restrict drone strike 'playbook' before Trump takes office
    Trump administration will inherit Obama’s signature counter-terrorism tactic, known as ‘targeted killing’, the controversial rules of which new book reveals
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjalive21 said:

tbergs said:

and yes she is overreacting...yeah people like this are all over the country but this just didnt start because of Trump

He campaigned on the promise to do so! Labeling people of a certain religion seems like a human rights violation to me.
    His talk if state's rights and consevative SC nominations very easily could create a situation where states like Alabama no longer recognize interracial marriages.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    the black, “white supremacist” Andrew McClinton arrested for the infamous burned-down black church which had “Vote Trump” written on it: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fire-marshal-politics-motive-vote-trump-arson-44341228 - South Philly graffiti — “Black Bitch” “Trump Rules” — arrest made, turns out to be black “white supremacist” William Tucker: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/S-Jersey-man-arrested-in-post-election-vandalism-in-South-Philly.html?mobi=true - Yasmin Seweid, the young lady who was arrested for fabricating a story about an attack by racists on a NYC subway while yelling “Donald Trump”: http://ijr.com/2016/12/757186-muslim-teen-caught-lying-about-trump-inspired-assault-gets-humiliating-punishment/ - the young lady from Ann Arbor who fabricated a terrifying tale of a Trump supporter threatening that he’d burn the hijab off of her if she didn’t take it off: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/ann-arbor-police-womans-story-about-being-force-to-remove-hijab-did-not-occur - the unnamed University of Louisiana at Lafayette student who now admits she fabricated her claim that men wearing Trump hats attacked her, knocked her down, and stole her headscarf: http://klfy.com/2016/11/10/lafayette-pd-ul-student-made-up-story-about-attack-stolen-hijab/ - Jasskirat Saini, the “white supremacist” arrested for writing KKK and swastikas at Nassau community college: http://patch.com/new-york/gardencity/man-who-drew-swastikas-across-nassau-community-college-arrested-police - Eleesha Long, the Bowling Green student who was arrested after falsely claiming she was attacked and taunted with racial slurs by MAGA-gear wearing Trump supporters: http://www.wtol.com/story/33736486/bgsu-student-charged-after-reporting-fake-assault - the other unnamed student at BGSU who fabricated a story about a robbery and derogatory slur : http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2016/11/19/BGSU-Second-report-of-slur-attack-false-too.html - the unnamed black man in Boston who claimed he was threatened with lynching and told that “It’s Trump country now”, but then admitted he fabricated the story: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/11/man_admits_to_faking_hate_crime_in_malden - Frederick Roeber, the man who hung a nazi flag in SF (incidentally, across the street from his neighbors whose family members were Holocaust victims), only to later explain he was making an anti-Trump political statement: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/San-Francisco-homeowner-s-Nazi-flag-protest-of-10605083.php - Kathy Mirah Tu, the “courageous” throat-punching, racist-stomping woman who claimed to have bashed the fash only to be inexplicably handcuffed for her trouble, but who police say fabricated the incident: http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/11/umpd-not-involved-in-handcuffed-university-student - Ashley Boyer, the woman who was supposedly threatened at a gas station with a gun by Trump supporters, but who never contacted police and has now deleted her accusation: http://downtrend.com/71superb/story-about-white-trump-supporters-threatening-black-women-with-a-gun-exposed-as-a-hoax - Unnamed Williams College students who admitted they wrote KKK graffiti to “bring attention to the effects of the presidential election”: http://williamsrecord.com/2016/11/16/two-students-admit-to-vandalizing-griffin-hall-on-saturday/ - bisexual North Park University student who claimed she received hateful pro-Trump messages, but who the school now claims fabricated them: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/north-park-fabricated-notes-402556366.html - an Elon University hate message that received national attention “Bye bye latinos hasta la vista" but was later revealed to be written by a latino student as satire: http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2016/11/note-found-whiteboard-kivette-bye-bye-latinos - these Wellesley college kids, accused of screaming racist and homophobic slurs, that were just yelling “Make America Great Again”: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/12/19/pro-trump-babson-students-cleared-wellesley-victory-incident/RsIfPd27sNxqiXvnwOrhTJ/story.html
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Someone needs to get outside more often :dizzy:
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I didn't read the entire thread but it appears the anti gunners are now buying guns and prepping.

What are you tin foil hats scared of?
  • Options

Someone needs to get outside more often :dizzy:

The Texas family whose car and motorcycle were burned, and whose garage was spray-painted with "n----r lover", only to have his wife later reveal that her husband had hoaxed the community by doing it himself. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/12/23/denton-man-set-vehicles-ablaze-painted-racial-slur-garage-door-wife-says
    The black, "white supremacist" arrested for the infamous burned-down black church which had "Vote Trump" written on it: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fire-marshal-politics-motive-vote-trump-arson-44341228
    South Philly graffiti -- "Black Bitch", "Trump Rules" -- arrest made, turns out to be black “white supremacist”: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/S-Jersey-man-arrested-in-post-election-vandalism-in-South-Philly.html?mobi=true
    young lady who was arrested for fabricating a story about an attack by racists on a NYC subway while yelling "Donald Trump": http://ijr.com/2016/12/757186-muslim-teen-caught-lying-about-trump-inspired-assault-gets-humiliating-punishment/
    young lady from Ann Arbor who fabricated a terrifying tale of a Trump supporter threatening that he’d burn the hijab off of her if she didn’t take it off: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/ann-arbor-police-womans-story-about-being-force-to-remove-hijab-did-not-occur
    University of Louisiana at Lafayette student who now admits she fabricated her claim that men wearing Trump hats attacked her, knocked her down, and stole her headscarf: http://klfy.com/2016/11/10/lafayette-pd-ul-student-made-up-story-about-attack-stolen-hijab/
    the brown "white supremacist" arrested for writing KKK and swastikas at Nassau community college: http://patch.com/new-york/gardencity/man-who-drew-swastikas-across-nassau-community-college-arrested-police
    the Bowling Green student who was arrested after falsely claiming she was attacked and taunted with racial slurs by MAGA-gear wearing Trump supporters: http://www.wtol.com/story/33736486/bgsu-student-charged-after-reporting-fake-assault
    another student at BGSU who fabricated a story about a robbery and derogatory slur : http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2016/11/19/BGSU-Second-report-of-slur-attack-false-too.html
    a black man in Malden (Boston area) who claimed he was forced to run for his life after being threatened with lynching, chased, and told that "It’s Trump country now", but then admitted he fabricated the story: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/11/man_admits_to_faking_hate_crime_in_malden
    the man who hung a nazi flag in SF (incidentally, across the street from his neighbors whose family members were Holocaust victims), only to later explain he was making an anti-Trump political statement: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/San-Francisco-homeowner-s-Nazi-flag-protest-of-10605083.php
    the "courageous" throat-punching, racist-stomping woman who claimed to have bashed the fash only to be inexplicably handcuffed for her trouble, but who police say fabricated the incident: http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/11/umpd-not-involved-in-handcuffed-university-student
    the woman who was supposedly threatened at a gas station with a gun by Trump supporters, but who never contacted police and has now deleted her accusation: http://www.phillyvoice.com/police-no-official-report-ugly-racial-incident-del-gas-station/
    Williams College students who admitted they wrote KKK graffiti and dumped fake blood in a church to “bring attention to the effects of the presidential election”: http://williamsrecord.com/2016/11/16/two-students-admit-to-vandalizing-griffin-hall-on-saturday/
    bisexual North Park University student who school says fabricated hateful pro-Trump messages: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/north-park-fabricated-notes-402556366.html
    an Elon University hate message that received national attention "Bye bye latinos hasta la vista" but was later revealed to be written by a Latino student who was upset about the results of the election and wrote the message as a "satirical commentary": http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2016/11/note-found-whiteboard-kivette-bye-bye-latinos
    these Wellesley college kids, accused of screaming racist and homophobic slurs, but were cleared of charges when it was determined they were only yelling "Make America Great Again" -- incident took place in front of "Harambee House" (kek!): http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/12/19/pro-trump-babson-students-cleared-wellesley-victory-incident/RsIfPd27sNxqiXvnwOrhTJ/story.html
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    my2hands said:

lbpeltz said:

I can say with all honesty, that all the Trump supporters I have spoke to are exhilarated from a campaign for the ages which defied the odds at every turn and turned in a stunning Tuesday night performance. Every one of these people is also excited to see if this president can produce some real change in the culture and economic outlook of this nation. There hasn't been a culture of hate, exclusion or vitriol in the least.

Contrary to this, the liberal talking heads and newspapers are pedalling fear, Trump style. Hide your kids, hide your wife, America is doomed. This is an absolute joke. The openmindedness and culture of free expression the many liberals exalt turns to bitter anger when actually confronted with an opinion different from their own. Want to know why the polls were wrong? Because a vast majority of people could not actually admit in public that they were going to vote for Trump because of the social lambasting that would ensue. Is racism dead? No. Is every Trump supporter a racist? No. Is almost every racist a a Trump supporter? Yes. Stop waffling on about the death of this country, start acting like mature adults. Unfortunately, any republican nominee would be anti lgbt and pro-life, and I hope to god this will change someday, but the stark reality is this. You can be pro-life and not be a mysoginist, you can raise issies of race and not be a bigot, you can be against gay marriage and still be a good human. Stop the name calling, proceed forth with rightful skepticism, stop calling America a society of racists and realize that for every one part the president plays in your life, you play 50.

Just remember, 24 hours ago, you were criticizing someone else for not being able to handle the near inevitable truth yet you've morphed into that person today.

I'm guessing you are a straight white male
    What would have made you think that? Lol.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    pjalive21 said:

tbergs said:

As usual, just a disclaimer that this is mostly stream-of-consciousness, so I apologize if it only makes sense to me.

pjalive21, it's not easy to discern between fear mongering, and being fearful: One is undue thought control - spread with the intention of creating panic to drive public opinion in a specific direction; the other is a natural response to what's truly being perceived as a frightening situation at hand. I'm not saying that fear mongering is non-existent today, but I'm saying that lumped into those you'd call fear mongerers are an unknowable percentage of them who are just plain fearful. It's unfortunate that politicians resort to fear mongering on such a regular basis, as it's a fallacious method of thought control, and forces us to be skeptical of broadcasted fear (which in turn creates further division), when broadcasting fear should actually be an opportunity for non-partisan discussion and education, which produce empathy, understanding, and unification. Logic exposes fallacies, but opposing fallacies and dismissive statements like "fear mongering is now worse than ever" don't negate the original ones.

On the topic of the violation or abandonment of human rights, with Trump it would appear that the greatest likelihood of said human rights restrictions would come in a form of collective punishment. The public needs to make a decision on whether it is right or just for politicians to apply restrictions to people's rights (be they immigrants or citizens) based on a statistically elevated (but uncertain) risk of illegal and/or harmful actions, in the interest of mitigating that risk: Trump's proposed Muslim registry and forced deportation being the issue that naturally stands out. My opinion is that it's unethical, and goes against the oft-mentioned "innocent until proven guilty" ethos which Americans adhere to, but like any philosophical question, it's a question without a definitively correct answer.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1