Options

End the Electoral College

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    In 2012 Donald Trump said "the electoral college is a disaster for democracy", so he even agrees. Also he received less votes than McCain and Romney, the problem Clinton didn't even come close to getting the votes Obama got...2 terrible candidates and someone was going to win...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    pjhawks said:

I don't think we should end the electoral college because, as mentioned above, then only a few states would matter. BUT one change that could be offered to make it more fair is to have states split their votes more by region. In PA. Hillary won in the most populous areas in the cities and surrounding suburbs but lost big in the rural (redneck) areas. Maybe large states like PA should split their electoral college votes by region. I think this would be much fairer although I'm sure the arguments about where regions start and end would be brutal.

With the electoral college usually only a few states determine the election too. Many states are solid red or blue, whoever gets the edge on 1 or 2 swing states takes the win. I think by districts may be a better idea than a state take all. More people would turn out to vote as well.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    JC29856 said:

Don't look now but trump is now projected to win the popular vote

http://www.cnn.com/election/results

Your link has Clinton up by 288,000 votes.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

JC29856 said:

Correct but my posts says "projected", they haven't counted all the votes yet, as a matter of fact it took California 5 weeks to officially tally the primary votes.
  • Options
    I'm interested to hear if people would be saying to end the electoral college if it was the other way around and Hillary won the electoral college vote and Trump won the popular vote...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This thread gets started no matter who won.

I think the electoral college made sense in the beginning with a smaller population that could potentially have a group take over.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

JC29856 said:

on the site it has him as the projected winner of the popular vote...i don't know exactly how they know that yet
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    lukin2006 said:

In 2012 Donald Trump said "the electoral college is a disaster for democracy", so he even agrees. Also he received less votes than McCain and Romney, the problem Clinton didn't even come close to getting the votes Obama got...2 terrible candidates and someone was going to win...

The US isn't a democracy.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I find it hilarious that Trumphadist scum who were against it have no problem with Hillary losing because of it when she got more votes. White republican male privilege double standard hypocorisy #4748484.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I've never understood why it wouldn't just be a simple count of the popular vote for president.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

I've never understood why it wouldn't just be a simple count of the popular vote for president.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2007/10/kevin-r-c-gutzman/beyond-the-electoral-college/
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    unsung said:

lukin2006 said:

The US isn't a democracy.
    I agree...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

unsung said:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2007/10/kevin-r-c-gutzman/beyond-the-electoral-college/
    This was well explained........

"Yet, Levinson’s objection and Jefferson’s are not the same at all. Jefferson’s complaint was that fellow citizens of a common republic (Virginia) should have equal votes in elections for their chief executive, while Levinson’s is that the constituent republics in a federal republic, the states, should not have equal voices in choosing their common chief executive.

Levinson, like Senator Clinton, makes the mistake of thinking of the United States of America as a nation, not a federal republic. In Senator Clinton’s defense, she likely has been influenced to reach that conclusion by "experts" such as Professor Levinson. On the other hand, Clinton’s conclusion is affected by the fact that she desires the power of a national chief executive, not a mere federal president."
  • Options
    President Jefferson to President trump. I'm still trying to get my brain around that. It's an epic historical embarrassment.
  • Options

I find it hilarious that Trumphadist scum who were against it have no problem with Hillary losing because of it when she got more votes. White republican male privilege double standard hypocorisy #4748484.

Fact #4748484 Clinton most likely would still lose even if it were based on the popular vote.
  • Options

President Jefferson to President trump. I'm still trying to get my brain around that. It's an epic historical embarrassment.

At least they appear to go to the same barber

• Options
    Jason P said:

At least they appear to go to the same barber

LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    good thing spray tan wasn't invented yet back in Jefferson's day. the scarf would have turned an awful puke colour.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016

where is this white privilege you speak of? I have yet to get anything for being white nor do I want anything

i will tell you what there is plenty more out there to be had for non-whites between colleges, loans, and being picked for a job
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

where is this white privilege you speak of? I have yet to get anything for being white nor do I want anything

i will tell you what there is plenty more out there to be had for non-whites between colleges, loans, and being picked for a job
    And some wonder why the middle class didn't vote for Clinton. Maybe it doesn't help to call a bunch of people privileged and racist and then expect them to vote for you.
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

OH MY GOD. seriously?

I have never personally been called any racist names or chased in the street because of my skin colour, for one.

Jesus.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

pjalive21 said:

OH MY GOD. seriously?

I have never personally been called any racist names or chased in the street because of my skin colour, for one.

Jesus.
    I worked in south-central LA for 4 years. So I have. But I realize most of the country is not like south-central, and I'm glad I left.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

pjalive21 said:

And some wonder why the middle class didn't vote for Clinton. Maybe it doesn't help to call a bunch of people privileged and racist and then expect them to vote for you.
    Because there's a decent sized group of whites that includes pjalive, that are in denial about racism and white privilege. I suppose that denial worked against Hillary.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjalive21 said:

Maybe you haven't "received" anything tangible for being white.. but I guarantee you haven't been rejected for it or feared for your own safety because of it.
  • Options
    Michael Moor wants to end it too. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/09/michael-moore-donald-trump-morning-after-to-do-list-facebook
  • Options
    oh, people can bitch and moan about the electoral college all they want. it wasn't mentioned once that I know of leading up to this election. only now that HRC lost they are grasping at straws. I doubt Moore would be whining about it had the tables been turned.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Here's the problem with this argument - we are a REPRESENTATIVE Democracy.
    Each State gets the number of Electoral Votes representative of the number of Reps + Senators they have (so min 3). Reps are based on population (so that does change over time if populations shift from one state to another relatively speaking).

The framers set it up so every state had proportional representation in the House, but equal (2) representation in the Senate to balance the power of individuals with the power of the States.

The Electoral college therefore is a representation of this power share that balances State vs. Federal Powers.

So the argument should not be do away with the electoral college, but rather do away with State power or not. I don't think people in Idaho would be happy if you made them be saddled with what NY or Cali does. And honestly, that works better, or you'll end up with everyone in Idaho.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

pjalive21 said:

Maybe you haven't "received" anything tangible for being white.. but I guarantee you haven't been rejected for it or feared for your own safety because of it.
    haha because you know me? just like the few comments above?

i grew up in the "ghetto"...assaulted numerous times for being white...had a car stolen out of my parents driveway...rock thrown through my window.... leaving a hockey game downtown St. Louis was held at gunpoint for wearing a red Chicago Blackhawks Jersey and being white, most recently i missed out on a job last year due to "affirmative action" at the current job i work at now...i was pulled over in Ferguson when I used to live there for being white and in a part of town that i shouldn't be in, really? sorry officer, but I live in that neighborhood you just pulled me over in

yet at the end of the day there is nothing but love for people of the opposite color, no matter what color, even when i have endured all that and more

so preach to me once again about my white privilege???
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

i grew up in the "ghetto"...assaulted numerous times for being white...had a car stolen out of my parents driveway...rock thrown through my window.... leaving a hockey game downtown St. Louis was held at gunpoint for wearing a red Chicago Blackhawks Jersey and being white, most recently i missed out on a job last year due to "affirmative action" at the current job i work at now...i was pulled over in Ferguson when I used to live there for being white and in a part of town that i shouldn't be in, really? sorry officer, but I live in that neighborhood you just pulled me over in

yet at the end of the day there is nothing but love for people of the opposite color, no matter what color, even when i have endured all that and more

your situation, while I'm sure quite difficult, is not the NORM. the norm is the opposite. sure, there are examples of everything no matter what side you are talking from, but the massive majority of people in your situation were black, not white.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Bein the target of prejudice because you're white in no way eliminates your white privilege. I see you "used" to live in Ferguson. White privilege made it much easier for you to move away. Need more examples?