Options

End the Electoral College

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,510

Why should California, texas, new york, illinois, and Pennsylvania determine every election?

I don't see it that way at all....they say everyone's vote counts but mine sure as fuck doesn't.....I live in one of the reddest states in the nation...trump got 47% and hillary got 27% (it was only that high because mormons really can't stomach trump but most of them voted for him anyway). wyoming was something like 73% trump. so, if you're a dem in a hardcore red state, your vote doesn't amount to shit. same as if you're a repub in a blue state. the electoral college totally fucks up the "your vote counts" theory. with no electoral college, every vote really does count.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

I find it hilarious that Trumphadist scum who were against it have no problem with Hillary losing because of it when she got more votes. White republican male privilege double standard hypocorisy #4748484.

where is this white privilege you speak of? I have yet to get anything for being white nor do I want anything

i will tell you what there is plenty more out there to be had for non-whites between colleges, loans, and being picked for a job
    Maybe you haven't "received" anything tangible for being white.. but I guarantee you haven't been rejected for it or feared for your own safety because of it.
    haha because you know me? just like the few comments above?

i grew up in the "ghetto"...assaulted numerous times for being white...had a car stolen out of my parents driveway...rock thrown through my window.... leaving a hockey game downtown St. Louis was held at gunpoint for wearing a red Chicago Blackhawks Jersey and being white, most recently i missed out on a job last year due to "affirmative action" at the current job i work at now...i was pulled over in Ferguson when I used to live there for being white and in a part of town that i shouldn't be in, really? sorry officer, but I live in that neighborhood you just pulled me over in

yet at the end of the day there is nothing but love for people of the opposite color, no matter what color, even when i have endured all that and more

so preach to me once again about my white privilege???
    your situation, while I'm sure quite difficult, is not the NORM. the norm is the opposite. sure, there are examples of everything no matter what side you are talking from, but the massive majority of people in your situation were black, not white.
    It is the norm if he was wearing the hockey jersey and playing in the game when he was assaulted numerous times.
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

I find it hilarious that Trumphadist scum who were against it have no problem with Hillary losing because of it when she got more votes. White republican male privilege double standard hypocorisy #4748484.

where is this white privilege you speak of? I have yet to get anything for being white nor do I want anything

i will tell you what there is plenty more out there to be had for non-whites between colleges, loans, and being picked for a job
    Maybe you haven't "received" anything tangible for being white.. but I guarantee you haven't been rejected for it or feared for your own safety because of it.

i grew up in the "ghetto"...assaulted numerous times for being white...had a car stolen out of my parents driveway...rock thrown through my window.... leaving a hockey game downtown St. Louis was held at gunpoint for wearing a red Chicago Blackhawks Jersey and being white, most recently i missed out on a job last year due to "affirmative action" at the current job i work at now...i was pulled over in Ferguson when I used to live there for being white and in a part of town that i shouldn't be in, really? sorry officer, but I live in that neighborhood you just pulled me over in

yet at the end of the day there is nothing but love for people of the opposite color, no matter what color, even when i have endured all that and more

Bein the target of prejudice because you're white in no way eliminates your white privilege. I see you "used" to live in Ferguson. White privilege made it much easier for you to move away. Need more examples?
    Why did being white make it easier for him to move?

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I never thought this way before, but to me the only real fair way might be some kind of proportional representation of the electoral college votes...if you get 32% of the vote in said state, you get 32% electoral votes...of course you'd have to do away with the 270 because under a proportional its doubtful 270 could be reached...

On election night as it dragged into Wednesday morning they even had a logical scenario where it could have been tied at 269 ... how realistic that was...who knows, I kinda felt they were just filling airtime and dragging out the election as they were waiting on Pennsylvania and Michigan...maybe neither one of those states wanted to be the state that put trump over the top, so they slowed down the counting...lol
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Jason P said:

pjalive21 said:

And some wonder why the middle class didn't vote for Clinton. Maybe it doesn't help to call a bunch of people privileged and racist and then expect them to vote for you.
    Because there's a decent sized group of whites that includes pjalive, that are in denial about racism and white privilege. I suppose that denial worked against Hillary.
    Hillary gave this decent size group no incentive to vote for her. And liberal social media would shout down from atop Mt. Pious with vindictive viciousness if they didn't have progressive views.

The end result: President Trump
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Wobbie said:

Why should California, texas, new york, illinois, and Pennsylvania determine every election?

I don't see it that way at all....they say everyone's vote counts but mine sure as fuck doesn't.....I live in one of the reddest states in the nation...trump got 47% and hillary got 27% (it was only that high because mormons really can't stomach trump but most of them voted for him anyway). wyoming was something like 73% trump. so, if you're a dem in a hardcore red state, your vote doesn't amount to shit. same as if you're a repub in a blue state. the electoral college totally fucks up the "your vote counts" theory. with no electoral college, every vote really does count.
    I do see a point that a campaign would then focus on big cities. No one would care about people living in Nebraska.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I think I would be open to it... But unsure if it is necessary.

It does seem like the "important states" has expanded quite a bit. It was just FLA and Ohio pretty much for awhile, but swing-state has expanded to a dozen or so. Even New Hampshire could have decided the election.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Bein the target of prejudice because you're white in no way eliminates your white privilege. I see you "used" to live in Ferguson. White privilege made it much easier for you to move away. Need more examples?
    Why did being white make it easier for him to move?

Because whites pretty much have the ability to live in 99.4% of the areas that they can afford. Due to segregation and discrimination, minorities do not.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

pjalive21 said:

And some wonder why the middle class didn't vote for Clinton. Maybe it doesn't help to call a bunch of people privileged and racist and then expect them to vote for you.
    Because there's a decent sized group of whites that includes pjalive, that are in denial about racism and white privilege. I suppose that denial worked against Hillary.
    Hillary gave this decent size group no incentive to vote for her. And liberal social media would shout down from atop Mt. Pious with vindictive viciousness if they didn't have progressive views.

The end result: President Trump
    If it was Jeb Bush, most would've stayed home. Trump gave them a way to "make America great again", which means he alleviates their fears about losing white privilege. They just aren't conscious about white privilege, they just know they need to "take the country back". Back from who? Oh yeah, minorities.
  • Options

I actually do not agree with ending the electoral college. If you use nothing but the popular vote, only 5 states will determine EVERY ELECTION. As much as it sucks that trump won, he clearly won most of the country. Clinton's votes clearly came from the top 10 to 15 largest cities in the country. If you're ok with your vote not counting if you live anywhere with an electoral college votes less that 10, have at it.

Cities and states wouldn't matter if it was just the popular vote.
    In theory. But just look at the map from yesterday. You're saying that those states with the most people won't influence most of the vote?
    That doesn't make sense. A state can't influence the vote. If a state goes 60/40, those 40% still have their input.
    It makes plenty of sense. If it was a straight popular vote, what 5 areas of the country would almost always determine an election?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Your vote still doesn't mean shit if your a dem in a red state. Either way, you'll get drowned out by the other side.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I never thought this way before, but to me the only real fair way might be some kind of proportional representation of the electoral college votes...if you get 32% of the vote in said state, you get 32% electoral votes...of course you'd have to do away with the 270 because under a proportional its doubtful 270 could be reached...

On election night as it dragged into Wednesday morning they even had a logical scenario where it could have been tied at 269 ... how realistic that was...who knows, I kinda felt they were just filling airtime and dragging out the election as they were waiting on Pennsylvania and Michigan...maybe neither one of those states wanted to be the state that put trump over the top, so they slowed down the counting...lol

I agree with this. Give the nominees the percentage of the vote that they received in each state. Change the total number you need to win. Boom, both sides are happy.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,510

Wobbie said:

Your vote still doesn't mean shit if your a dem in a red state. Either way, you'll get drowned out by the other side.

Wobbie said:

in local or statewide elections, you're right.....but it would be nice if my presidental vote counted for something.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ^^^
    You vote did count for something.
    Not electing Hillary.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Because i worked, saved money, and moved? how is that white privilege? Any color can do just that...

I get the point that you are trying to make and i'm not blind that there is racism...hell look no further than the day after Trump wins and some of the vile things that I have seen supporters due to minority groups, but that doesn't represent everyone. Just like the Trump supporter that got jumped for being white and asked while they were beating him if he was a Trump supporter and then stole his car. They don't represent the other side

I think the problem we have now is just overall lack of human decency

• Options

I actually do not agree with ending the electoral college. If you use nothing but the popular vote, only 5 states will determine EVERY ELECTION. As much as it sucks that trump won, he clearly won most of the country. Clinton's votes clearly came from the top 10 to 15 largest cities in the country. If you're ok with your vote not counting if you live anywhere with an electoral college votes less that 10, have at it.

In theory. But just look at the map from yesterday. You're saying that those states with the most people won't influence most of the vote?
    That doesn't make sense. A state can't influence the vote. If a state goes 60/40, those 40% still have their input.
    It makes plenty of sense. If it was a straight popular vote, what 5 areas of the country would almost always determine an election?
    Even in the top 5 populated areas, you'll see the voting in the 60/40 range. Not 90/10 or anything like that.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    -

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Wobbie said:

Did you read my link? The States determine the President, not the popular vote.
  • Options

Even in the top 5 populated areas, you'll see the voting in the 60/40 range. Not 90/10 or anything like that.
    Ok. So what happens in a 60/40? They still decide the elections.
  • Options
    This gives a good perspective of why we have the electoral college. 1 person= 1 vote is 100% accurate in a true democracy. But we are not a true democracy.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/16/the-electoral-college-still-makes-sense-because-were-not-a-democracy/
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    The electoral college was devised as a bit of a compromise. Some had wanted pure popular vote while others were concerned that the "average" citizen might not be suited to elect a president. They preferred to have more of a group of chosen individuals more in the know to elect the president (think super delegates). So they come up with the electoral college as a compromise where people vote for president but the final vote is made by the predetermined electors. The electors are supposed to vote based on the way their states popular vote, but they don't actually have to. In fact one of the reasons the founders set it up this way is if the people go ahead and do something crazy (Like oh I don't know elect a racist, knowledge free bigot) the electors have the ability to step in and say no this is not in the country's best interest. There have been a few instances of electors going rogue but generally only one or two. It would be unprecedented for a coalition of electors to get together and turn. But this has been an election of the unprecedented....
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    know1 said:

The electoral college needs to be ended.

If it is, it won't be 5 states that will control every election. It will be the people who are voting. Not sure why people can't grasp that. Cities, states, etc. really don't mean that much any more in a world where communication, access to information and transportation are so good.

It is a bit rediculous that Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and a few others get to decide the election for everyone. Basically votes in those states have more weight (value) than votes in California, NY, Texas, Alabama where the gap is wider. And the attention those states get from the candidates is reflected. They only go to the states that are on the fence. However I also see the potential pitfalls that would come with a straight popular vote (President Kim Kardashian anyone?). So the electoral college gets put in place as another layer to try to protect against that scenario. They can vote against the popular vote if they felt it was in the best interest of the country. Well electors now is as good a time as any to invoke that right. Protect us from ourselves.
  • Options
    bootleg said:

know1 said:

The electoral college needs to be ended.

If it is, it won't be 5 states that will control every election. It will be the people who are voting. Not sure why people can't grasp that. Cities, states, etc. really don't mean that much any more in a world where communication, access to information and transportation are so good.

It is a bit rediculous that Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and a few others get to decide the election for everyone. Basically votes in those states have more weight (value) than votes in California, NY, Texas, Alabama where the gap is wider. And the attention those states get from the candidates is reflected. They only go to the states that are on the fence. However I also see the potential pitfalls that would come with a straight popular vote (President Kim Kardashian anyone?). So the electoral college gets put in place as another layer to try to protect against that scenario. They can vote against the popular vote if they felt it was in the best interest of the country. Well electors now is as good a time as any to invoke that right. Protect us from ourselves.
    Just listen to your post.
    It speaks like the mainstream media that got their ass handed to them by a President-elect Trump.
    Numbers, polls, super pacs,(whatever that means to anyone), graphs, pie charts, stats and the ever so important exit polls mean nothing.
    People put their x in the box and President-elect Trump won.
  • Options
    True, but Clinton's popular vote lead is now even larger than is was earier in the day.
  • Options

True, but Clinton's popular vote lead is now even larger than is was earier in the day.

According to the people reporting that.
  • Options

According to the people reporting that.
    What? How many drinks in are you?
  • Options
    ^^^
    Not that many.
    You need a few to understand the American election mess.
    A movement to implement a plan that would elect the president based on the national popular vote, without technically eliminating the Electoral College, has been slowly spreading across the U.S. over the last decade. The plan has been introduced in 50 state legislatures and so far, 10 states as well as D.C. have passed such legislation totaling 165 electoral votes. 
    The states so far that have passed the measure are only traditionally Democratic-leaning states and none is a battleground: California, Illinois, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state. And it’s passed in one chamber in 12 more states that add up to 96 electoral votes. If enough additional states also passed the plan so that they have added up to at least 270 electoral votes, the plan could actually take effect. Should they reach that magic 270 number, the states that passed the measure would give their electoral votes to the candidate winning the national popular vote

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clintons-popular-vote-lead-raises-questions-about-the-electoral-college/
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,249

^^^
    Not that many.
    You need a few to understand the American election mess.
    A movement to implement a plan that would elect the president based on the national popular vote, without technically eliminating the Electoral College, has been slowly spreading across the U.S. over the last decade. The plan has been introduced in 50 state legislatures and so far, 10 states as well as D.C. have passed such legislation totaling 165 electoral votes. 
    The states so far that have passed the measure are only traditionally Democratic-leaning states and none is a battleground: California, Illinois, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state. And it’s passed in one chamber in 12 more states that add up to 96 electoral votes. If enough additional states also passed the plan so that they have added up to at least 270 electoral votes, the plan could actually take effect. Should they reach that magic 270 number, the states that passed the measure would give their electoral votes to the candidate winning the national popular vote

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clintons-popular-vote-lead-raises-questions-about-the-electoral-college/

I just read that too. Not going to happen. However, are you questioning the popular vote numbers now? That's just as crazy.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2016
    ^^^
    Now you guys have phantom popularity votes that are supposed to mean something?
    Popular vote numbers should be reserved for election night, no?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,249
    edited November 2016
    What are you talking about? Do you think they're making up fake voters now to give her the popular vote? I don't really care who has the popular vote either way and wouldn't question if it was being rigged.
    It's a hopeless situation...