Options

fair trade? kong for fenway thomas

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
Not for me but my buddy is considering trading his kong for a fenway thomas. Is that a fair trade in your eyes or is my buddy getting ripped off?

Mike
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• Options
    JP77380JP77380 Posts: 166
    send him my way. I'd do that deal
  • Options
    JV140606JV140606 Detroit Posts: 355
    I'll give him a catch and more!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,444
    Not unless the Thomas is going for $500+
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,395
    on2legs said:

Not unless the Thomas is going for $500+

Maybe one day
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    yeah that's what I figured. I'll tell my buddy to not do this deal unless the other guy adds some stuff. Thanks everyone.
    Mike
  • Options
    dsg4dsg4 Posts: 188
    Every deal is in the eyes of the guys doing it, if your buddy feels that he is winning by getting the Thomas for the Kong, then it is a good deal for him. No one but him knows how much he wants the thomas poster and what that poster means to him vs what the kong doesnt mean to him. There is no general right or wrong or good deal bad deal. If both parties think its a good deal, then it is.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    dsg4 said:

Every deal is in the eyes of the guys doing it, if your buddy feels that he is winning by getting the Thomas for the Kong, then it is a good deal for him. No one but him knows how much he wants the thomas poster and what that poster means to him vs what the kong doesnt mean to him. There is no general right or wrong or good deal bad deal. If both parties think its a good deal, then it is.

I Agree. Not every trade has to be a business transaction.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I have an AP Thomas for a Kong or Munk Pitt
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    No where close, maybe in 5 years
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

yeah that's what I figured. I'll tell my buddy to not do this deal unless the other guy adds some stuff. Thanks everyone.
    Mike

There's a bunch of Thomas prints on eBay for under $200. To me its not even close.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Mike

There's a bunch of Thomas prints on eBay for under $200. To me its not even close.
    I knew the answer but wanted to get some input from you guys. I ll pass the info along to him.
  • Options
    Cool. Friends don't let friends trade Kongs! :smiley:

• Options
    on2legs said:

Cool. Friends don't let friends trade Kongs! :smiley:

Very true!
  • Options
    So kong is worth around $500 and Thomas Fenway is currently around $200?
  • Options
    sak300zxsak300zx Posts: 720
    edited October 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Exactly. Show editions.
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

5 years from now the Kong will be highly sought after still. We shall see what holds up for the Thomas...
  • Options
    It's just my 2 cents of course but I don't think the Thomas will ever be at the level of the Kong. The posters sold at MSG always seem to be fewer in quantity than regular shows. I've heard there is a limit they can sell. Who knows if that's true or BS. But Fenway was a whole week of merch madness with multiple merch stands and even a merch schedule. Even though the Thomas was sold out before the others, I'm sure they were replenished multiple times. So for every 1 Kongs out there, there are prob 10 Thomas. And this isn't a knock on the Thomas, I own the AP and thinks it's great.
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    Nope
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    dsg4 said:

Completely agree.... so long as both trading parties are content, the opinions of others is irrelevant. Have a nice day and week.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    not an 'even' trade, but if the guy wants a Thomas that bad, doesnt care too much for the Kong, doesnt want to spend $200, nor go through the trouble of an ebay sale... It is fine.

Every trade/sale doesnt need to be for max value/even up. I once traded a Pittsburgh '13 for a used Riot Act Vinyl.... Also a PJ20 Mural for a Sperry Poster Convention poster (with the dog).
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    dsg4 said:

While I would generally agree with this, he should know that it's a bad deal financially. He would be better off selling the Kong then buying the Thomas off eBay and pocketing the difference.

But hey, if he doesn't care about money, go for it.
  • Options
    I would do it only because kong is my top wish I had. Tough though as I really like the catch. But ya i think kong is "worth" more on the street. Does cracker jack match up more with kong?
  • Options

I would do it only because kong is my top wish. Tough though as I really like the catch. But ya i think kong is "worth" more on the street. Does cracker jack match up more with kong?

• Options

I would do it only because kong is my top wish I had. Tough though as I really like the catch. But ya i think kong is "worth" more on the street. Does cracker jack match up more with kong?

I think CJ at this point definitely matches up better with Kong than the "Catch", because, if nothing else, time has proven CJ's value as being a solid $400-$500 poster. I still give the edge to Kong over CJ though because I believe there were much less Kongs made and sold. Anyways, if I were OP's friend and wanted to trade a Kong for the Catch, why not try and get an orange variant AP? At least its much closer in value...
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    any trade that both parties walk away from happy is a fair trade
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    andrew68 said:

any trade that both parties walk away from happy is a fair trade

completely agree. I've made some deals where I received the "less valuable" item in the trade & was more than happy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    sak300zx said:

I think CJ at this point definitely matches up better with Kong than the "Catch", because, if nothing else, time has proven CJ's value as being a solid $400-$500 poster. I still give the edge to Kong over CJ though because I believe there were much less Kongs made and sold. Anyways, if I were OP's friend and wanted to trade a Kong for the Catch, why not try and get an orange variant AP? At least its much closer in value...
    The AP's aren't selling very high either and neither are the variants.

I think people like the red better than the orange.
  • Options

sak300zx said:

The AP's aren't selling very high either and neither are the variants.

I think people like the red better than the orange.
    But at least he'd be getting a "rarer" poster. A limited edition of 100 or 200, and not 1 of thousands....
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • Options
    Doesn't anybody have a clue what the run was for show edition kong and Thomas?