Options

Customs charges.....is it worth supporting 10C?

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    silvo said:

I took a punt on these in the hopes of a variant

I mean, this is the answer to question asked here (And in other threads). Well that plus 10c listed it first and people don't want to miss out on something Pearl Jam related.

• Options
    silvosilvo Posts: 290
    Bizarrely I received my No Code the other day and there was no customs charge, even though it clearly stated $24.99 as the value on the label!! Must have just slipped the net.
    Now just got to wait and see what happens with Vault 6? Never had a customs charge on these before so maybe they can manage to label them in the same way to avoid that again? Or is it that previous ones have come from Europe??
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Unless it is a 10C exclusive (which is pretty often), I don't think anyone should ever buy straight from 10C. Their shipping is way too much and way too inefficient. I will probably still buy one copy of any brand new album from 10C just because of the 10C variant possibility. I sure wouldn't buy any reissues through them or anything else that can be bought elsewhere. If they ever fix their AWFUL shipping issues, especially to Canada, which I think is the most egregious problem they have, even worse than other places overseas, I'd be happy to buy everything from them. All that said, I've never been dinged on customs charges with 10C. Their shipping price vs service alone is enough of a deterrent for me.... Of course, I still order stuff from them all the time because they are so often the only place to buy items from.

Agreed, if it is very limited edition or exclusive through 10c buy but for just standard reissues etc. I wouldnt bother. Really slow postage and import charges - no thanks. Not trying to make anyone feel bad but I got Yield and No Code for £14.99 each including postage. I got them the Saturday morning after release day. I posted where I got them from and a few others ordered from the same place.

If you ordered everything from 10c in the same order and they just shipped it separate without notifying you then you definitely have cause to make a complaint. It's not the import tax that is expensive it's the handling charge.

Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options

MLB is more in Sterling on Amazon Uk, than it is in dollars on here at the moment! £76.21 on Amazon Uk and $59.98 on here! Obviously before postage and customs charges though!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mother+love+bone&sprefix=Mother+lov,aps,181

If you order it on Amazon.com they will add the import tax then you won't have to pay handling when it arrives.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Yeah customs sucks. Just so you Limeys know, it works equally the other way. I bought a sweet pair of English made shoes and had them shipped to me in the States. I got jacked for VAT and US customs tot he tune of about 25% of the purchase price.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I paid another $25.72 to pick up the deluxe TOTD thingie today from Canada Post. That said, I don't think I've paid a customs charge on something from the 10C in almost a decade, so either my memory is shite* (quite possible) or I just have horseshoes up my arse (also quite possible).

*t I don't recall paying customs charges for the Ten or Vs/Vitalogy Super Deluxe, which are cost-comparable. (I don't know if cost-comparable is an actual phrase, but I think it makes sense.)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,712
    rockpants said:

I paid another $25.72 to pick up the deluxe TOTD thingie today from Canada Post. That said, I don't think I've paid a customs charge on something from the 10C in almost a decade, so either my memory is shite* (quite possible) or I just have horseshoes up my arse (also quite possible).

*t I don't recall paying customs charges for the Ten or Vs/Vitalogy Super Deluxe, which are cost-comparable. (I don't know if cost-comparable is an actual phrase, but I think it makes sense.)

LOL
  • Options
    xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 191
    TOTD deluxe came today in the UK. I had to pay customs for Yield (19.99) and No Code (24.99) but have seemingly got away with TOTD (99.99)
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • Options
    xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 191

TOTD deluxe came today in the UK. I had to pay customs for Yield (19.99) and No Code (24.99) but have seemingly got away with TOTD (99.99)

Wasn't expecting TOTD so (relatively) quickly either!
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • Options
    sj9966sj9966 UK Posts: 55
    Getting hit but UK customs is purely down to luck. It just depends on the day of arrival into the UK what international packages get stopped & checked. They do not check everything. I have had as much stuff get through without charges as I've had with charges.

Scranton 1992, Manchester 1 2012, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Wrigley 1 2016, Amsterdam 1 2018, Prague 2018, London 2 2018, EV Madrid 2019, Hyde Park 1 2022, Hyde Park 2 2022

• Options
    MP188882MP188882 Posts: 63
    edited October 2016
    The real question is: What value did we receive for buying the reissues from 10C as opposed to another retailer?

The expectation when you buy non-exclusives from the 10C is that you'll get superior value/service/price than any other third party. Otherwise, why would you buy from 10C as opposed to Amazon, Best Buy or better yet, an independent record store like Easy Street?

Unfortunately, I don't think I received any additional value for Yield and No Code beyond the products themselves. Which is fine because those albums are terrific, but unfortunate because I could have got them sooner and cheaper from another outlet here in Canada. That really shouldn't happen if 10C wants to be my first choice for future such releases. As it stands, I waited 6 weeks longer from the date of release and paid a total of CAD $87.64. The retail price for Yield ($30) and No Code ($45) plus tax means I would have paid $84.75 if I had just walked into a store on September 2. So for the additional $3, I waited 6 weeks longer for the exact same product. =(

DISCLAIMER: The above isn't to say I don't get value from 10C - I get newsletters, access to exclusive ticket opportunities, merchandise, the annual single, access to these forums, the TMR opportunity etc. This isn't about that. Love the 10C, but it's not the right place to order non-exclusive releases in Canada until they improve their value proposition. As the band would say: Support your local independent record store!

And perhaps that's why the products are priced the way they are? I can't imagine the band wants or needs to undercut the independents.
    Post edited by MP188882 on
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

• Options
    Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Sussex, UK Posts: 74
    Heads up for anyone who ordered Vault 6 vinyl in the UK. £16.13 custom charge.

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

• Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i give up!fucking customs
    danny d
  • Options
    XDA

Same. Do we have a claim anywhere if it is an item manufactured in Europe?
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    FR181798 said:

XDA

I wouldn't have thought so. We have imported the item from the USA to the UK. The original country of origin hasn't really got anything to do with it. They are American goods when all is said and done. In all likelihood 10c had to pay some form of import duties to move the stock from Europe to the US. It is what it is unfortunately. £16.13 customs duty here too. :bawling:
  • Options
    rw160510 said:

FR181798 said:

XDA

I wouldn't have thought so. We have imported the item from the USA to the UK. The original country of origin hasn't really got anything to do with it. They are American goods when all is said and done. In all likelihood 10c had to pay some form of import duties to move the stock from Europe to the US. It is what it is unfortunately. £16.13 customs duty here too. :bawling:
    Vault 6 is manufactured in Milwaukie, OR.
    slh
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    edited November 2016

rw160510 said:

FR181798 said:

XDA

Vault 6 is manufactured in Milwaukie, OR.
    slh
    My bad Santos. The previous ones have been manufactured in Europe. Just going off previous experience. Mine is sitting in the royal mail depot and will hopefully be with me tomorrow as I have paid the ransom. :) Thanks for the info and for shipping international orders first.
    Post edited by rw160510 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Nice to know it was manufactured in North America this time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yeah I was assuming that it would be the same manufacturing plant as previous. At least that is something, it would have been bad if two lots of import charges are made. My copy was also held to ransom so I paid it and just waiting on the thing, hopefully today.
  • Options
    CloneClone UK Posts: 141
    I've been hit with customs too. I'ts every single time for me.
    I've decided to go with the digital downloads from now on, and try and avoid anything to be posted. Had enough of the high postage cost plus the customs charges.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    I'd like a UK based outlet tbh...I always see things that I like but with customs it's not worth getting them .
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694

What price was declared on the shipping label?
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,712
    mine is currently being held by royal mail, just need to get my act together and get the fee paid. Excited to get the record in my hands.

Already looking ahead to Vault 7
  • Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    I live right around Niagara Falls Canada, so my wife has a mail box in Niagara Falls New York. I save a lot of money on shipping.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    MP188882 said:

The real question is: What value did we receive for buying the reissues from 10C as opposed to another retailer?

The expectation when you buy non-exclusives from the 10C is that you'll get superior value/service/price than any other third party. Otherwise, why would you buy from 10C as opposed to Amazon, Best Buy or better yet, an independent record store like Easy Street?

Unfortunately, I don't think I received any additional value for Yield and No Code beyond the products themselves. Which is fine because those albums are terrific, but unfortunate because I could have got them sooner and cheaper from another outlet here in Canada. That really shouldn't happen if 10C wants to be my first choice for future such releases. As it stands, I waited 6 weeks longer from the date of release and paid a total of CAD $87.64. The retail price for Yield ($30) and No Code ($45) plus tax means I would have paid $84.75 if I had just walked into a store on September 2. So for the additional $3, I waited 6 weeks longer for the exact same product. =(

DISCLAIMER: The above isn't to say I don't get value from 10C - I get newsletters, access to exclusive ticket opportunities, merchandise, the annual single, access to these forums, the TMR opportunity etc. This isn't about that. Love the 10C, but it's not the right place to order non-exclusive releases in Canada until they improve their value proposition. As the band would say: Support your local independent record store!

And perhaps that's why the products are priced the way they are? I can't imagine the band wants or needs to undercut the independents.

Well said
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Eroom21 said:

I live right around Niagara Falls Canada, so my wife has a mail box in Niagara Falls New York. I save a lot of money on shipping.

Hug that wife of yours. That is a fantastic idea!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,521
    Eroom21 said:

CBI USA right? A fellow 10C member introduced me to them. Shipped a couple of items for work there, crossed the border to pick them up and turned right back around. Declared the true value both times and didn't get dinged for tax. I think if it's a reasonable amount and you're truthful, they let it slide.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    rw160510 said:

Kearn5y said:

To be honest, I don't blame 10c for customs charges. I ordered both LP vinyl's and all 5 singles together. 2 packages arrived on the same day with 20$ for Yield and 9$ for the singles. This is under the limit for import tax for me. They could have put everything in the same package and declared the full price. Only issue, is the delivery times for International customers. If you bought from a private seller, it takes about a week to arrive. With 10c, It was about 3 weeks which was shit, but now it takes over a month.

This is my take on it too. I was expecting everything to be shipped together and that I would get hit. All things being equal I don't think I am any worse off as a result of the way they have been shipped. Would have it been better if I only gave royal mail £8 instead of £16 assuming that no code will get caught too? Absolutely, but you can't blame 10c for the value of the pound at the moment or the very low threshold at which we are required to pay duty on imported goods in the UK. A few months ago yield would definitely not have pulled a customs charge and no code probably would have snuck through too. Royal mail have figured that import duties are a new revenue stream since they were privatised and very little slips through the net. Unfortunately they have you over a barrel and there is very little you can do about it. It would be great if we had the option of paying the assessed duties direct to HMRC and then provide proof to Royal mail that everything was in order so they could deliver the item. Maybe a little more clarity from 10c around the potential for variants and exclusives wouldn't go a miss. I know I was hoping for a 10c splatter no code which is why I went down that route. Now the speed of shipping is something else entirely...
    The threshold for Imported goods is only £15 (unless a gift which is £35 i think) When I ordered mine on the day of the presale etc, Yield worked out at something like £15.90 when the rate was well a proper rate. No Code was always over the threshold the actual charges for customs are not that bad its like pennies, its the rip off charge from the Royal Mail, now if you could pay the customs charges direct as you mention, and not after the RM have delivered it. that would be pretty good and I would be up for that. However Yield has cost me £23.90 and No Code cost me £27 - emp.co.uk has them priced at £24.99 and £14.99 so should have just waited for UK issues I guess. I have only managed to claim back the charges from the royal mail and customs, once, due to a total cost been put on the customs label ( cost and the postage ) but i was difficult had to prove the day I bought the item, the dollar rate on that day I bought from card statement etc.unless a special edition think ill just buy from the UK, in future.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,959
    In the UK vault 6 cost us around $110 Inc shipping and customs fees. It's at the absolute limit of what I am willing to pay, but it's only once per year and I soon forget the price when the record is spinning and I have my headphones on!

2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,959
    I wonder if a possible solution going forward would be to have a 'deluxe analogue' membership which includes the vault vinyl. They they could mark the production cost down as value and help us save on customs.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam