Options

Customs charges.....is it worth supporting 10C?

13»

Comments

• Options
    tino_11 said:

In the UK vault 6 cost us around $110 Inc shipping and customs fees. It's at the absolute limit of what I am willing to pay, but it's only once per year and I soon forget the price when the record is spinning and I have my headphones on!

that's like £87 at today's rate, ( i got it at £61 so with the customs of £16 = £77 )

have to say that's fucking expensive really, not sure ill be buying in USD for a while.
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    edited November 2016
    rock4ever said:

rw160510 said:

Kearn5y said:

To be honest, I don't blame 10c for customs charges. I ordered both LP vinyl's and all 5 singles together. 2 packages arrived on the same day with 20$ for Yield and 9$ for the singles. This is under the limit for import tax for me. They could have put everything in the same package and declared the full price. Only issue, is the delivery times for International customers. If you bought from a private seller, it takes about a week to arrive. With 10c, It was about 3 weeks which was shit, but now it takes over a month.

This is my take on it too. I was expecting everything to be shipped together and that I would get hit. All things being equal I don't think I am any worse off as a result of the way they have been shipped. Would have it been better if I only gave royal mail £8 instead of £16 assuming that no code will get caught too? Absolutely, but you can't blame 10c for the value of the pound at the moment or the very low threshold at which we are required to pay duty on imported goods in the UK. A few months ago yield would definitely not have pulled a customs charge and no code probably would have snuck through too. Royal mail have figured that import duties are a new revenue stream since they were privatised and very little slips through the net. Unfortunately they have you over a barrel and there is very little you can do about it. It would be great if we had the option of paying the assessed duties direct to HMRC and then provide proof to Royal mail that everything was in order so they could deliver the item. Maybe a little more clarity from 10c around the potential for variants and exclusives wouldn't go a miss. I know I was hoping for a 10c splatter no code which is why I went down that route. Now the speed of shipping is something else entirely...
    The threshold for Imported goods is only £15 (unless a gift which is £35 i think) When I ordered mine on the day of the presale etc, Yield worked out at something like £15.90 when the rate was well a proper rate. No Code was always over the threshold the actual charges for customs are not that bad its like pennies, its the rip off charge from the Royal Mail, now if you could pay the customs charges direct as you mention, and not after the RM have delivered it. that would be pretty good and I would be up for that. However Yield has cost me £23.90 and No Code cost me £27 - emp.co.uk has them priced at £24.99 and £14.99 so should have just waited for UK issues I guess. I have only managed to claim back the charges from the royal mail and customs, once, due to a total cost been put on the customs label ( cost and the postage ) but i was difficult had to prove the day I bought the item, the dollar rate on that day I bought from card statement etc.unless a special edition think ill just buy from the UK, in future.
    The way it worked out for me is that no code actually snuck through so overall I definitely didn't lose out with the reissues in terms of customs fees etc as i only paid duty and royal mail fees for yield. They would still have been much cheaper to source over here though. I took a chance on a variant 10c version which didn't materialise this time. Win some lose some I guess. I'm still going to buy vault lps and other things too but I will be more careful because sterling isn't worth what it was at the start of the year. As I said earlier it would be great if 10c were a bit more forthcoming about the possibility of getting a variant to help the decision making process. I really like Tino's idea of a deluxe analogue option that includes an annual vault lp that can ten be priced as a gift and at cost etc. And I do believe that I should have the option of paying my tax direct to HMRC rather than being forced to use a middle man.
    Post edited by rw160510 on
  • Options
    Bit of good news for me today. Klausen Wrigley poster arrived this morning in the uk. No customs charges and it arrived within 2 weeks. Very happy, thanks 10 club!
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    Picked it up yesterday, hit with customs charge,it's not the vat it's the royal mail handling charge that pisses me off, spinning it and it is amazing.
  • Options

custom charges has to do with country laws.not with the company u buy abroad your stuff..
    i go to ebay now and see that if i wantr to order an item,i see the shipping and chargestotal..i have to pay..
    it would be cool not to pay charges but actually for that to happen 10c must to lie and breeak the law and put on the package its a gift or less total of your order
    its not 10c fault countries in europe charge for an incoming package from the usa

Well, that depends. In Sweden you don't pay for stuff under a certain limit ($25 or whatever) and you can often get Ebayers and smaller shops to write down the value on the package to $25 or as "gift" and you don't get it sopped in customs.

Tenclub though, won't do that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Its the handling fee that they charge that is rubbish. Amazon US adds your import tax in advance which is cool so no extra charges. The limit before you get charged is pathetic in the UK though, it's £15 which meant you use to be able to get a $25 record in OK but not anymore.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Often I end up just buying multiples of records which saves on postage and handling fee and you just need to recoup it on ebay. Although I'm sure they probably want you to pay income tax on it in the UK. Can't win I'm afraid.
  • Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 901
    MLB Box Set was delivered to the post office depot today. Had to pay £28 customs charge to get it.
    Overall it's cost around £125....But, the record and packaging is amazing
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    TeSoTeSo Posts: 3
    Customs it's always a roulette, sometimes you don't pay anything (most of my orders) and sometimes they hold it back and never receive it (my black friday order of 2012) but the 10C had nothing to do with that.

But it's a whole different thing the courrier that 10C are using, it's sooo slow!!! Since I receive my mail from the No Code/Yield order in August, I receive the last vinyl last week, all of them in different packages, not even mencion to the NUGS bootleg orders, always I have to write to 10C that the 3 months expired and still haven't received anything so the have to resend the discs (one this they send 3 times the boots)
    He could turn in...