Options

Most surprising song to fall off from being a staple?

124»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

JM144705 said:

I don't understand how grown adults need a "piss break" during a concert. Maybe cut back of the alcoholic beverages?

I would vote for WWS or black. Off all the big hits from Ten Black is my favorite and least heard. Wouldn't mind hearing red mosquito at least once!

I was in line for some food. I heard what I thought was a song I had not heard before so I ran out of line and got to the stairs and realized it was a reworked version of Future Days. I went back to the food line. Worked out perfectly.
    I know its off topic, but I have never actually seen someone buy food at a concert. Drinks, yes. Food, no. Just found that interesting
    Yeah, it seems a little strange, lol. but if someone is just so hungry they feel sick, then they're going to eat no matter where they are I guess. I personally always bring a pack of peanut M&M's to concerts and keep them in my purse, just in case I need the extra energy from all the rocking out. :rock_on:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rylan said:

mcgruff10 said:

I also think present tense should be a live staple. That song is one of their best!

An absolute classic!
    Have they ever opened with Present Tense? It might not be everyone's cup of tea as an opener but I think it would work as it's a pretty cool sing along to start off a show.
    Thunder Bay, 2005. Great night, my first show. Hooked since then. Pretty sure that was the smallest venue they have played from the 2000's up till now. Minus shows like Nashville this year.
    i'm guessing the Borgata shows in 2005 were smaller...

and they opened Night 2 with Present Tense :)

the 2004 VFC shows were in pretty small arenas... sadly we are never going back to that, it feels we are moving into more large stadium type shows in the future
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835

StBC
    Got Some
    Save You
    Brain of J
    Comatose
    Insignificance
    1/2 Full
    Grievance
    LBC
    You Are (the "did you know Matt Cameron is still our drummer?" song)
    NaiS
    Crazy Mary (thankfully)
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    I don't consider songs like the fixer or WWS staples, I think of them as singles off those albums so they "need" to be played during that tour and maybe the following. I'd like to see WWS more, but seeing Fixer fade is ok in my book. As for some "staples" IMO that have fallen off I'd agree with some:

Glorified G and Dissident - one of the two used to pop up most nights, but now both have gone hiding
    Immortality - was common for awhile, now not so much
    Save You
    Black - I'd agree with what someone said previously
    Got Some
    NAIS
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    jarkkonieminenjarkkonieminen Melbourne, Australia Posts: 126

mcgruff10 said:

I also think present tense should be a live staple. That song is one of their best!

An absolute classic!
    Have they ever opened with Present Tense? It might not be everyone's cup of tea as an opener but I think it would work as it's a pretty cool sing along to start off a show.
    PT has opened four shows.
    St Louis 03
    Thunder Bay 05
    Atlantic City 05
    London 13
    Pearl Jam
    1995: Melbourne #3
    1998: Melbourne 1,2 & 3
    2003: Sydney #1, Adelaide, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3
    2006: Melbourne #1
    2009: Melbourne
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Charlotte, Phoenix
    2014: Melbourne, Cincinnati, Memphis, Denver
    2016: Hampton, Columbia
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2
    EV
    2011: Brisbane #2
    2014: Melbourne 2 & 3
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Glorified G was a practical no-show for more than a decade. I think it was a staple in the Vs era but not really at any point after.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:

I don't consider songs like the fixer or WWS staples, I think of them as singles off those albums so they "need" to be played during that tour and maybe the following. I'd like to see WWS more, but seeing Fixer fade is ok in my book. As for some "staples" IMO that have fallen off I'd agree with some:

Glorified G and Dissident - one of the two used to pop up most nights, but now both have gone hiding
    Immortality - was common for awhile, now not so much
    Save You
    Black - I'd agree with what someone said previously
    Got Some
    NAIS

Yeah, Save You and Got Some are really good examples.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    I think In Hiding should be played about every second show, don't understand why it doesn't get played more often, such an amazing song and the chorus becomes an amazing sing along.

The unfortunate thing about songs becoming staples is they lose a little bit of their lustre. Given to Fly and Do the Evolution are amazing songs and I love hearing them but I'm not as excited about hearing them because there's no surprise when they come out. If I am ever fortunate enough to hear In Hiding it will be 10 times more amazing since it's so rare.
  • Options
    jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    edited August 2016

I think In Hiding should be played about every second show, don't understand why it doesn't get played more often, such an amazing song and the chorus becomes an amazing sing along.

The unfortunate thing about songs becoming staples is they lose a little bit of their lustre. Given to Fly and Do the Evolution are amazing songs and I love hearing them but I'm not as excited about hearing them because there's no surprise when they come out. If I am ever fortunate enough to hear In Hiding it will be 10 times more amazing since it's so rare.

Agree with this! Wish PJ would apply a "can't play a song at consecutive shows" philosophy. They certainly have enough hits to do this and keep the casual fan happy, and it would keep some of the hits fresh for the "serious collector" (my new favorite term, thanks Ed!) that tend to take potty breaks when Even Flow is played.
    Post edited by jpk97uw on
  • Options
    jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    This would be great for "serious collector" that travels to attend multiple shows like Wrigley or Fenway or MSG, they would hear no repeats. Plus it would change up the "formula" of the 2nd encore which is often very predictable with Alive every show. Come on Ed, a good idea is a good idea! My other good set list idea is to kick it to Stone and Jeff every third show or so. That Quebec City set list Stone did was killer! Don't mean to sound critical of course, just offering up some thoughts.
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    This post is one of the reasons why I love this band!