Options

Sad news... Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer.

PearlJamVSPearlJamVS Eastern Ontario Posts: 62
I know there are a lot of Hip fans here.

thehip.com/news/an-important-message-from-the-band/
Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,
I am fuel, you are friends, we got the means to make amends
I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
I am right by your side.

Ottawa 2011
London 2013
Ottawa 2016
Boston 1 2018
Boston 2 2018

Comments

• Options
    JamesNJamesN Fort Lauderdale Posts: 190
    This one is a bitter pill to swallow, but they are touring this summer...
    Wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Just got the email. Was fearing them calling it quits. This is much worse.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    brutal news... man I hope to see them this tour.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    sucks...
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I feel like I've been punched. I've spent the morning listening to Day for Night and talking to friends about it but it still doesn't feel real. I don't think it ever will.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    Open the tour in buffalo close it in Toronto! Crushing news today!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Missed this thread. What a bummer.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    My interest in the band declined a lot over the last few years but at one point they were definitely one of my favourites and I still listen to them. Didn't see this coming at all. Brutal news.
    Gotta enjoy people/places when they're around. Cause you never know.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

My interest in the band declined a lot over the last few years but at one point they were definitely one of my favourites and I still listen to them. Didn't see this coming at all. Brutal news.
    Gotta enjoy people/places when they're around. Cause you never know.

Well said. Their latest single had them back in my ears, then this.
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    edited May 2016
    This sux. Been a fan for a long time. I got to see them at a local spot a few years back that seated about 1800 and sadly it was maybe half sold out. He performed like he was at a sell out show at MSG. Crazy great front man.
    Post edited by CJ260717 on
  • Options
    Brutal
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Wow, this hits hard. Surprised they are still doing a tour, I'll be doing whatever I can to make it to one of those shows.
  • Options
    Drew89Drew89 Posts: 7
    Terrible, terrible news. This is such a blow for Canadian music in general. After I heard the news this morning I immediately threw on Fully Completley, Road Apples then Day for Night.

I've seen The Hip close to a dozen times live over the years. In their heyday they were a great live act, I remember driving out to Kingston to go see them in their hometown almost 10 years ago...still one of my favourite shows. They've lost a step (or two) lately, especially on the vocal side.

I always thought The Hip would be around forever in some way. You just got the sense they'd still be touring around Canada until they had absolutely nothing left in the tank lol. It just shows how unpredictable life really is.

The last tour should be pretty epic, I can't wait! I would like to think of it more as being a celebration of one of the greatest Canadian bands ever and everything they've done for music in this country.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    on a completely selfish note, the regret of not going to see them in Minnie last summer in a club of 600 stings harder now. On an unselfish note, this is going to be hard for a lot of people. himself, his family, his friends, his band. being in his position, he has a large circle that is going to be devastated by this.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'm torn (all tore up?) on whether to see this tour or not. It might be too much. I've seen the Hip close to thirty times. They're "my" band in a way that no other can ever be...like, I literally used to live around the corner from Rob Baker and would run into him at the corner store buying milk on a regular basis. I'd imagine a lot of other Canadians are feeling a bit like a family member's announced they're dying this morning.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    love this song, plus such a great closing credits sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OyJk1F1HY
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    NWOntario said:

I'm torn (all tore up?) on whether to see this tour or not. It might be too much. I've seen the Hip close to thirty times. They're "my" band in a way that no other can ever be...like, I literally used to live around the corner from Rob Baker and would run into him at the corner store buying milk on a regular basis. I'd imagine a lot of other Canadians are feeling a bit like a family member's announced they're dying this morning.

I'm sure this is going to be tough on those in attendance and those on stage, but if you don't go you may regret it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    NWOntario said:

i feel like i've been punched in the gut this morning... I can't imagine how his family and the band must feel...

it is heartbreaking...

this band has been the excuse for a get together for me with my friends living in canada... I'd organize trips to see people around when the band was playing an event in Toronto or Montreal, or where-ever... it feels like losing a member of my crew...

I don't know what to say...

it sounds greedy to hope I can manage to make it to a date on this tour, but I feel like I definitely need to help Gord party at least one more time... i am sure that is the least of anyone in his family's worries at this point, but it sounds like Gord wants to give it another spin, and I'll be damned if I can't help him celebrate the way he changed people's lives in Canada... this band and his voice has been a soundtrack from a lot of my life in the last 15 years... I can't believe this...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options

NWOntario said:

I'm sure this is going to be tough on those in attendance and those on stage, but if you don't go you may regret it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I say go. Tough as it may be, it's the last time and they're touring for you.
  • Options
    The Hip (and many other bands for that matter) were part of me and my friends as well, Shep. They didn't know it, but their music played through our speakers a ton and they were a 'part' of our experience.

Horrendous news.

I'm seeing these guys for sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Rygar said:

NWOntario said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I say go. Tough as it may be, it's the last time and they're touring for you.
    Yeah - and this band's given us SO MUCH the least we can do is compress all that into two-hour increments and give it back with interest.

But if they play "Ahead by a Century" or "Fiddler's Green" I'll actually lose it.
  • Options
    NWOntario said:

Rygar said:

NWOntario said:

Yeah - and this band's given us SO MUCH the least we can do is compress all that into two-hour increments and give it back with interest.

But if they play "Ahead by a Century" or "Fiddler's Green" I'll actually lose it.
    I just linked Ahead By A Century in the other thread, it's my favourite Hip song...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2016
    Devastating. I am crying right now. Heard it on the morning news while getting ready, and now my make up is ruined and i can't believe i actually still have to go to work. Poor Gord. Poor band. Poor everyone. This is so tragic, and not hip at all. Not meaning to be funny. It's true. I have never felt this upset about anyone I didn't know who is dying before, and I'm not sure what to do with it. :heartbreak:
    I can't imagine how hard this must be for him and the band, to still tour and perform with this going on. It's is crazy impressive for Gord to continue on like that. But so tough I think, for everyone.
    Fuck. Ugh. Shattered. I feel like my day just stopped. I feel sick.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Anyone else watch the press conference? The doctor said Gord's responded well to treatment and that he's in good spirits. It's still a terminal diagnosis, but they seemed hopeful he's got time left.

Tour dates announced tomorrow.
  • Options
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    NWOntario said:

Anyone else watch the press conference? The doctor said Gord's responded well to treatment and that he's in good spirits. It's still a terminal diagnosis, but they seemed hopeful he's got time left.

It is amazing to me that he will have the strength to tour
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

NWOntario said:

It is amazing to me that he will have the strength to tour
    Yeah...and I mean, it'd be a big ask for most lead singers to tour under these circumstances, but Gord's also an incredibly physical performer and...ugh. I almost don't want to think about this tour.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I can't even imagine what the tour will be like.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata