Options

Republican Convention 2016/ Cleveland

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

How the hell could the wife of the Republican nominee for president plagiarize a speech and not think somebody won't notice? My god, you people want this fucking guy to be the president? Talk about incompetent.

Easy answer....she didn't actually write the speech.
    That's what speechwriters are for.
    Not surprising that someone didn't check the speech out in advance either. drumpf will just blame crooked hillary and move on.

Just like Regan didn't write "Mr. Gorbachev tear down that wall".
    I know they have speechwriters. That's the point. How do you write a speech for her and clearly copy the speech from Obama without thinking someone won't notice?

I do believe I heard Melania claims to have written most of the speech. Which doesn't help her case at all.
    Melania prepared for this speech for 5 weeks, there's NO WAY they didn't know they were writing similar words from Michelle's 2008 speech. To me this seems like this was done on purpose as the thing to talk about for the first night of the RNC. Look how many people are talking about this one I don't know "event". There's more to come, people will be watching to see what else will come down the line.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    No one is writing there own material in politics. Does anyone think W or Obama is sitting up at night with a Steno pad writing their speeches???

I think the only two politicians (and I use that word lightly) that go off the cuff are Bernie and Trump.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Shawshank said:
    Ha well yeah, Obama more or less owned up to it. Trump crew is doubling down.
  • Options
    But can we talk about Rudy

"THEY'RE COMING TO KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Or King

"what has any other sub group contributed to society more"
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I think there should be a new law/requirement. If you are running for President, or you are the President, you cannot have a speech writer. If you can't sit down and put your own thoughts down on paper, you should automatically be eliminated from contention or impeached lol. I mean for the love of God, Abraham Lincoln grew up in a log cabin with dirt floors and grew to become one of the great speech writers of all time. It can be done, unfortunately over the last 60 years or so, the "great words" of our Presidents, are typically created by someone else working behind the scenes.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Or King

That guy king is a complete moron. The anchor asked him "do you mean white people?" His reply was western civilization! Unbelievable what the right wingers think.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

Or King

That guy king is a complete moron. The anchor asked him "do you mean white people?" His reply was western civilization! Unbelievable what the right wingers think.
    A completely unbelievable exchange
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Jason P said:

No one is writing there own material in politics. Does anyone think W or Obama is sitting up at night with a Steno pad writing their speeches???

I think the only two politicians (and I use that word lightly) that go off the cuff are Bernie and Trump.

Trump will fire the speech writer today for his wife's speech and then blame it on Hillary as a plant in his campaign. Being a victim his base will believe this and will be galvanized by it.....sounds brilliant. :smile:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Jason P said:

Obama's former speechwriter, Jon Favreau, is a good follow on Twitter and has a good podcast on the Bill Simmons network. His stories about the Nobel speech are interesting.
  • Options
    Gutter is writing speeches?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Gutter is writing speeches?

hahah. Same name. Pretty random
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Or King

#makeamericasafeagain
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Tiki said:

Or King

#makeamericasafeagain
    "ARE WE CRAZY?!?!?!"

"YES!!!!!!!"

Yes, yes indeed you are...
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    FEAR
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    After all the insanity from last night, I do want to note again that Marcus Lutrell was awesome.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    g under p said:

Jason P said:

Trump will fire the speech writer today for his wife's speech and then blame it on Hillary as a plant in his campaign. Being a victim his base will believe this and will be galvanized by it.....sounds brilliant. :smile:

Peace
    Do you think that her "speech writer" did this on purpose to make a mockery out of her and Trump?

Regardless, it's hilarity it's finest and saddest.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    So it seems like Palin isn't there because her kid is on trial for battery. He likes to fuck around with AR-15s while drunk too. Awesome.
    Jason P said:

No. The problem is she claimed to have pretty much written the speech herself, lol. So they can certainly blame some incompetent, stupid, idiotic speech writers, but doing so makes her a liar. So what's better? Being a thief or a liar who claims the work of others as her own?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

I think there should be a new law/requirement. If you are running for President, or you are the President, you cannot have a speech writer. If you can't sit down and put your own thoughts down on paper, you should automatically be eliminated from contention or impeached lol. I mean for the love of God, Abraham Lincoln grew up in a log cabin with dirt floors and grew to become one of the great speech writers of all time. It can be done, unfortunately over the last 60 years or so, the "great words" of our Presidents, are typically created by someone else working behind the scenes.

I agree. I think all this speech writer business is ridiculous. Why in the fuck do any of us want to hear someone say a speech that was written by random people behind the scenes? We all know they do it, and for some reason we still listen to these speeches as though they really reflect the candidates' beliefs and their ability to communicate well and all the other things that we feel when we hear a good speech from someone. Why are we even listening when speech writers are coming with it?? It makes no sense unless we think that public speaking skills are the most important issue in politics.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Shawshank said:
    This is all true but I'm not ok with the "everybody does it" line of argument. It is a reason why I hated the Obama love fest. They were plaigirist phonies running on "yes we can" and a cult of personality. While I think Trump can win by doing the same I personally don't like it.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Smellyman said:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/steve-king-white-people-live-tv

Let's see, without Robert Johnson, Little Richard and Chuck Berry we wouldn't have had rock music and thus no PJ. FU SK.

And they just bail him out instead of questioning him
    The "Bitch, please!" look on her face says otherwise. Priceless. :lol:
  • Options
    Tiki said:

the Trump campaign has the greatest and best balls of any campaign, ever. holy shit.

Yet has the tiniest hands.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:
    Except this was actually planned word for word but thanks for playing the "It's okay to plagiarize if you're white and republican" double standard straw man game.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I hear Melania is a grad of Trump University.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    This is really interesting from someone who worked on the Obama campaign

http://steveschale.squarespace.com/blog/2016/7/19/sabotage-in-cleveland-the-melania-trump-speech.html

• Options
    BS44325 said:

http://steveschale.squarespace.com/blog/2016/7/19/sabotage-in-cleveland-the-melania-trump-speech.html

I had the same thoughts. It could be sabotage, but also the quality of the Trump speech writers has to be the bottom of the barrel, so complete incompetence is a very real possibility. Would you want to have Trump on your resume in the future after all the stuff he has spouted out?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

BS44325 said:

I had the same thoughts. It could be sabotage, but also the quality of the Trump speech writers has to be the bottom of the barrel, so complete incompetence is a very real possibility. Would you want to have Trump on your resume in the future after all the stuff he has spouted out?
    On the other hand this gives Trump a great opportunity to take to the stage and say "You're Fired!".

America loves that catchphrase. The crowd will go wild!
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Jason P said:

BS44325 said:

On the other hand this gives Trump a great opportunity to take to the stage and say "You're Fired!".

:lol: The crowd really would go wild, lol.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    BS44325 said:

Jason P said:

BS44325 said:

I guess that's how he would govern with catch phrases right ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Lou Holtz classin' it up at the RNC. Wow!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14