Options

GA has gone soft?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    tino_11 said:

Problem seems to be a difference in opinion of what GA should be, plus the odd idiot people encounter.

From my experience (all my shows have been GA in Europe). If your right in front of Ed it is going to be lively down there. Expect lots of contact with others but it's great fun if you like to get involved in the action. If you want a bit more freedom to move, go to the sides a bit, particularly Stone's side. If you like a lot more space go further back.

Problems arise when people try to be close to the front but think they can preserve their personal space. It isn't going to happen. But don't get annoyed, the good thing about GA is that you can move to a spot that suits you.

thank you. excellent analysis.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    I had a great time in GA. Helped that I was wearing one of these:

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    nevmiles said:

Okay, I know this will probably spark a whole debate, but when did the GA pit become so soft? Not enough people jumping around and singing in the pit in Ottawa and a young couple in front of us simply stood there motionless the entire first set without so much as a fist pump or a lyric sung. I understand that everyone enjoys the show in their own way, but a bit of passion would be nice. Part of the reason I prefer GA is for the atmosphere.

Also, since when does everyone believe they are entitled to their own one square foot of floor space? My buddy and I moved forward about 10 people deep in the pit and he was GRAZING another girl's shoulder with his own and she got mad at him for being "in her personal space". Really? You're at a rock concert, not the opera. If you are in the pit, you should be okay with bumping into/ being inadvertently grazed/touched by strangers. And they got mad at us for trying to move a bit closer and told us to "go back to where we came from". We didn't. It was kind of a deflating moment for us.

Don't get me wrong, we were super polite about and it was all sorted in the end, but that is one area I disagree with a lot of people on. The pit should be a fluid/dynamic atmosphere and if there is space (and there was a TON between people) then we should be able to move forward a bit. I don't claim that I should be on the rail or even 2,3 or 4 people deep if I don't put in the time, but don't get mad at me because I was able to get to where you were but didn't wait two and a half hours in the pit before the show.

Back in the day the pit was so tight you couldn't move your arms and it would sway and move with everyone..... I understand that everyone is older too and we may not have the energy to stand like sardines anymore but times have certainly changed!!

Rant over. :-)

I'll admit, I've read just your post and the first 3 or 4 comments thereafter. l'll tell you this, i agree with you.

if somebody can't take an occasional bump or nudge , in light of what is actually going in, then fuck 'em.

pearl jam fans, for the most part, are an amazing bunch of most of these types of snotty folks, which is probably the reason for the 3 or 4 dissenting comments after yours, no more of which i could actually stomach. but just wanted to chime in and say I 110% hear ya, man.

i have encountered these stuckups at every single show I've went to, and those that are disagreeing with you are probably because they are them!

alas, there are the occasional rare, kind saviors, but the vast majority are the holy fuck kind, and because pearl jam are so awesomely cool, i cannot explain why they attract such football.cheerleader.well,.smell me.types

seriously . Haha!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Tiki said:

lolobugg said:

went and hung out at the 2nd stage and watched Soul Coughing play to about 30 people.

I LOVE SC

Dude, they were awesome!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    edited May 2016
    rollings said:

nevmiles said:

Okay, I know this will probably spark a whole debate, but when did the GA pit become so soft? Not enough people jumping around and singing in the pit in Ottawa and a young couple in front of us simply stood there motionless the entire first set without so much as a fist pump or a lyric sung. I understand that everyone enjoys the show in their own way, but a bit of passion would be nice. Part of the reason I prefer GA is for the atmosphere.

Also, since when does everyone believe they are entitled to their own one square foot of floor space? My buddy and I moved forward about 10 people deep in the pit and he was GRAZING another girl's shoulder with his own and she got mad at him for being "in her personal space". Really? You're at a rock concert, not the opera. If you are in the pit, you should be okay with bumping into/ being inadvertently grazed/touched by strangers. And they got mad at us for trying to move a bit closer and told us to "go back to where we came from". We didn't. It was kind of a deflating moment for us.

Don't get me wrong, we were super polite about and it was all sorted in the end, but that is one area I disagree with a lot of people on. The pit should be a fluid/dynamic atmosphere and if there is space (and there was a TON between people) then we should be able to move forward a bit. I don't claim that I should be on the rail or even 2,3 or 4 people deep if I don't put in the time, but don't get mad at me because I was able to get to where you were but didn't wait two and a half hours in the pit before the show.

Back in the day the pit was so tight you couldn't move your arms and it would sway and move with everyone..... I understand that everyone is older too and we may not have the energy to stand like sardines anymore but times have certainly changed!!

Rant over. :-)

I'll admit, I've read just your post and the first 3 or 4 comments thereafter. l'll tell you this, i agree with you.

if somebody can't take an occasional bump or nudge , in light of what is actually going in, then fuck 'em.

pearl jam fans, for the most part, are an amazing bunch of most of these types of snotty folks, which is probably the reason for the 3 or 4 dissenting comments after yours, no more of which i could actually stomach. but just wanted to chime in and say I 110% hear ya, man.

i have encountered these stuckups at every single show I've went to, and those that are disagreeing with you are probably because they are them!

alas, there are the occasional rare, kind saviors, but the vast majority are the holy fuck kind, and because pearl jam are so awesomely cool, i cannot explain why they attract such football.cheerleader.well,.smell me.types

seriously . Haha!
    Completely agree. The people siding with the deadbeats are the same people you're talking about! If you want to stand there half-dead, move your ass back. Just standing there is really not a different reaction to merely listening to the band on the radio. It's a rock concert, you can show excitement without being a dumbass. There is such a thing as a happy medium. Plus, how does Pearl Jam not make you move?! For having a passionate following, there's a lot lower % showing excitement. If you don't see these points being made, you're either getting too stoned, not stoned/drunk enough, or you're boring AF. And, the person asking the question isn't acting "entitled." Grow up. That's an easy, baseless response to a very valid question. One of the last GA's I was in was Wrigley. I know it was late, but holy shit wake up! Wanting to rock out at a PJ show is not because a sense of entitlement, it's because letting loose like that is unparalleled.
    Post edited by pistol3 on
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2016
    ceska said:

Genius!! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

ceska said:

Genius!! :lol:
    Probably parks the same way.....dick!
    www.cluthelee.com