Pick etiquette curiosities

TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va)Posts: 622
edited April 2016 in Lost Dogs
Ok so just to get this out of the way I want to make it clear I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for me or anything like that...I just had two experiences at Philly 2 that left me wondering about some 10club etiquette.

Jeff threw out two picks and the guy next to me got one of them fair and square but when he threw the second one it landed right next to my foot and I had bent down to grab it and the same guy basically grabbed it out of my hands.

The second thing was when Mike threw out those signed stickers at the end of the show one hit me right in the face and again someone grabbed it out of my hands and the person they were with also had gotten one. They then gave one to the person next to them which is what actually annoyed me.

I said something polite to both of them only because they both had received more than one thing off the stage and snatched it from me....

My question here is what if anything do you consider to be improper etiquette for going after picks etc? Obviously people grab at them but what about taking them out of peoples hands? I don't know I guess I just didn't expect someone from the 10club to grab something from me as I wouldn't do that to them?
I'm older than I wish to be This town holds no more for me All my life I try to find another way
Post edited by TFlyer on
Tagged:

Comments

• on2legson2legs Posts: 6,223
    That sucks. You definitely have to hold on to those things for dear life but people shouldn't be literally grabbing stuff from your hands. At that point I consider it yours.

Quick story. When me and my buddy saw Ed solo in 2008 we got to our seats early and had 10th row. At the time I was aware that Ed sometimes walked the concert halls early and would leave guitar picks in random spots. So my eyes were peeled and I noticed there was an EV pick on floor next to foot of the guy sitting to the left of my buddy. So I politely leaned over and picked it up. I wanted to make sure the guy sitting next to us didn't drop it so I asked if it was his. He told me no and then said 'and if I ever found a pic on the floor I wouldn't be dumb enough to ask anyone else if it belonged to them'. I guess he was annoyed that he never noticed the pic next to his foot and that's why he was an ass. But I was so stoked to find the pic that I didn't care.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Some people are just jerks.
    1996: Randall's Island 2
    1998: East Rutherford, MSG 1 & 2
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus, Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3, Boston 1, Camden 1 & 2
    2003: Philadelphia, Uniondale, MSG 1 & 2, Holmdel
    2005: Atlantic City 1
    2006: Camden 1, East Rutherford 1 & 2
    2008: Camden 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Newark(EV)
    2009: Philadelphia 1, 2, & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Toronto 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Brooklyn 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Baltimore
    2015: Central Park
    2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Fenway Park 2, MSG(TOTD)
    2017: Brooklyn(RnRHOF)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 11,567
    have you ever been to a mlb game? a foul ball line drive might hit me squarely in the face but unless i catch it anyone can ultimately have it. same with a pic. practice quick hands !
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va)Posts: 622
    edited May 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

have you ever been to a mlb game? a foul ball line drive might hit me squarely in the face but unless i catch it anyone can ultimately have it. same with a pic. practice quick hands !

Okay well....Mike throws his stuff out in bunches you don't actually see them coming right at you and the stickers didn't have a direct path I didn't think they were coming at me. Also when I am in a cramped space I do everything I can to avoid smacking others in the face. That's just me :i_dunno:. Doesn't mean I didn't try or someone should take something out of my hands does it?
    on2legs said:

That sucks. You definitely have to hold on to those things for dear life but people shouldn't be literally grabbing stuff from your hands. At that point I consider it yours.

Quick story. When me and my buddy saw Ed solo in 2008 we got to our seats early and had 10th row. At the time I was aware that Ed sometimes walked the concert halls early and would leave guitar picks in random spots. So my eyes were peeled and I noticed there was an EV pick on floor next to foot of the guy sitting to the left of my buddy. So I politely leaned over and picked it up. I wanted to make sure the guy sitting next to us didn't drop it so I asked if it was his. He told me no and then said 'and if I ever found a pic on the floor I wouldn't be dumb enough to ask anyone else if it belonged to them'. I guess he was annoyed that he never noticed the pic next to his foot and that's why he was an ass. But I was so stoked to find the pic that I didn't care.

Yeah I was assuming the same things...I mean like I said I expect people to scramble for them but I just think it's a tad cruddy to take something out of another fans hands.

That guy from the EV show sounds like a jerk though.
    Post edited by TFlyer on
    I'm older than I wish to be This town holds no more for me All my life I try to find another way
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ONPosts: 5,588
    edited May 2016
    on2legs said:

I believe these picks get tossed out during soundcheck for lucky fans to find. I recall at the '06 Albany show my 10C pair were somewhere in the 1st 10 rows on the floor and we were right on the inside aisle. At some point during the show my brother somehow noticed a pick on the floor one row ahead of us. He waited until the end of the main set and the politely asked the couple ahead of us if he could pick something off the floor and they gladly gave him room. Once he had it in his hand and showed it to me I congratulated him on what turned out to be an Ed pick. It was clear the couple in front of us felt robbed, the woman actually turning to her husband visibly frustrated and angry. He was level-headed enough to know there was nothing wrong done and tried to calm her down.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto
    1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto
    2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena)
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall)
    2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City
    2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland
    2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre)
    2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2
    2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4
    2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford
    2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford
    2014: Detroit, Moline
    2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival)
    2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1
    2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction)
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 6,223
    100 Pacer said:

on2legs said:

I believe these picks get tossed out during soundcheck for lucky fans to find. I recall at the '06 Albany show my 10C pair were somewhere in the 1st 10 rows on the floor and we were right on the inside aisle. At some point during the show my brother somehow noticed a pick on the floor one row ahead of us. He waited until the end of the main set and the politely asked the couple ahead of us if he could pick something off the floor and they gladly gave him room. Once he had it in his hand and showed it to me I congratulated him on what turned out to be an Ed pick. It was clear the couple in front of us felt robbed, the woman actually turning to her husband visibly frustrated and angry. He was level-headed enough to know there was nothing wrong done and tried to calm her down.
    That show was at the NJPAC which is an opera house and has multiple levels. People were finding them upstairs too. There was an interview or comment by Ed that he liked to walk around venues he's never played before the show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2
    1998: East Rutherford, MSG 1 & 2
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus, Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3, Boston 1, Camden 1 & 2
    2003: Philadelphia, Uniondale, MSG 1 & 2, Holmdel
    2005: Atlantic City 1
    2006: Camden 1, East Rutherford 1 & 2
    2008: Camden 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Newark(EV)
    2009: Philadelphia 1, 2, & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Toronto 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Brooklyn 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Baltimore
    2015: Central Park
    2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Fenway Park 2, MSG(TOTD)
    2017: Brooklyn(RnRHOF)
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden StatePosts: 2,298
    Found an Evil Knievel pick beneath my seat in the 2nd row before the show at the Arlington Theatre in Santa Barbara in '08.
    But I sympathize with the OP. Seems to be every man for himself with regards to stuff that's tossed from the stage during shows.
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 797
    Good thread.

Mike carpet-bombed Stone's side of the rail in Lexington with picks; I caught a glimpse of him coming toward our side just as dozens of picks rained from above. I raised my left hand and caught one as many of the picks went bouncing off my hat, face, and shoulders. I immediately put the pick in my pocket as temporary hell broke loose where I stood...many adults on their hands and knees snatching up the highly sought after treasures.  I think someone tried to take one of my shoes off during the scrum.

Etiquette, it seems, is out the fuckin' door.  Like kasedoug said above...it is every man for himself when stuff comes flying from the stage.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • I've seen both ends of the spectrum at other concerts:

1. In Ottawa in 2006, I got to go to my first Guns N Roses show at the arena. I had GA floor tickets, so I went right up front for the show. I knew Paradise City would be the closer, so to beat the crowd, I started to leave towards the end of the song. What I didn't know was that Axl Rose throws his mic into the crowd at the end. That night, it sailed way over my head into at least 8 sections deep into the lower bowl. I guess because of the lights/pyro/etc, some guy got clocked square in the face with it. A doichy-looking couple picked it up and celebrated with it.

2. This Spring, I went to catch the L.A. Guns reuinion, just as a curiosity mostly. I managed to snag a Tracii Guns pick during the show. At the end of the show, they threw out a ton of picks. Once the crowd cleared, I noticed a pick at the front of the stage and picked it up. There was a guy a few steps behind me who I didn't even notice. Not even a bit rudely, he said something like "you've got quick hands". Figuring he was probably a bigger fan than I was, I gave him the second pick, not even expecting anything in return.

I've seen SOO MUCH selfish behaviour over my many years of shows and never understood any of it.
  • PP193448PP193448 Springboro, OHPosts: 3,103
    edited July 15
    Every pick for itself. Survival of the greediest.  
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2